Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Strange Report On /hdd3 [fixed]
OESF Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Model Specific Forums > C1000/3x00 General discussions
Jon_J
I was checking my available space in the console and my /hdd3 shows 0% usage and a strange number in the "Used" column (16.0T)
So I checked in the sysinfo applet, and under storage for the "Internal Disk" shows a negative number, and more space remaining than is actually available.
I have a lot of stuff on my /hdd3, so there should some used space.
Last time I checked there was 42M used on /hdd3
I included screenshots.
Cresho
QUOTE(Jon_J @ Jun 1 2006, 10:23 PM)
I was checking my available space in the console and my /hdd3 shows 0% usage and a strange number in the "Used" column (16.0T)
So I checked in the sysinfo applet, and under storage for the "Internal Disk" shows a negative number, and more space remaining than is actually available.
I have a lot of stuff on my /hdd3, so there should some used space.
Last time I checked there was 42M used on /hdd3
I included screenshots.

yep...same result i got from this too! It's a known issue.
Jon_J
running fsck.vfat now. (it's correcting a file with errors)
I got help in this post last year for different hdd related problem.
http://www.oesf.org/forums/index.php?showt...ndpost&p=112347

EDIT: there were two files sharing clusters. one got truncated to xxxxxx bytes and the other was truncated to 0 bytes.

They weren't very important files anyway, I'll delete them when fsck is finished.

EDIT2: That fixed the problem. screenshots below:
xamindar
Lol, I had this happen once when I tried copying stuff from linux to the zaurus and it ran out of space. Linux for some reason didn't care and the drive got a little corrupted.
mikew
Perhaps an easier way if you have a Windows PC to hand.

Connect to PC in Storage mode, right click drive then select properties then tools & you get options to fix drive as well as defrag. I have used the defrag a couple of times.

Don't forget to set to Storage mode in PC link settings, does not need any PC sofware.

Mike
Jon_J
QUOTE(mikew @ Jun 2 2006, 04:26 AM)
Perhaps an easier way if you have a Windows PC to hand.

Connect to PC in Storage mode, right click drive then select properties then tools & you get options to fix drive as well as defrag. I have used the defrag a couple of times.

Don't forget to set to Storage mode in PC link settings, does not need any PC sofware.

Mike

With the drive connected to windows thu storage mode, one would need to use chkdsk, or open disk properties and "check for errors" (same as chkdsk).
The problem I had above was with misplaced clusters. Defrag won't fix these, but the above method using, (disk properties and "check for errors"), will.
Most of the time if a hard drive has lost clusters or cluster problems, A defrag program will complain, and direct you to "check your disk for errors" first.
I preferred to use the "Linux" method, because I wasn't sure what was wrong in the first place.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.