Big Bam -
While trying to resolve my installation hitches & hickcoughs, I had to make some comparison observations between your
& Hiroshi Maruyama's <email@example.com>
2) aspell_0.60.4-1_arm.ipk / aspell-en_6.0-0_arm.ipk set.
1) Is v0.60.4 and most files dated 06 June 2006.
2) Are v0.60.4-1 / v6.0-1 with most files date NLT 31 Oct 2005.
1) D/L size = 4,143,930
2) Combined D/L sizes = 2,297,832 (1,614,532 + 683,300)
1) lists no depends; includes required -en files.
2) aspell_0.60.4-1_arm.ipk depends on an aspell-en IPK.
1) installation to SD fails.
.. ("Extract of some files failed") &/or
.. (IPKG says "something went wrong". Sorry)
2) installation to SD OK & runs.
1) installs to subdirs under:
.. \usr\bin\ ..... ( => \home\root\usr\bin\ )
.. \usr\local\ ... ( => \home\root\usr\local\ )
2) install to subdirs under:
.. \opt\QtPalmtop\ ( => \home\QtPalmtop\ )
Your package is more robust than the other 2 together, however a lot of the "common" secondary files are identical in both packages despite their file dates. AND they install into "equivalent" named subdirs. Ie:
1) ......... \usr\local\lib\aspell-0.60\american.alias
2) ( => \home\QtPalmtop .. \lib\aspell-0.60\american.alias )
1) ( => \home\root\usr\local\lib\aspell-0.60\american.alias )
BUT! (2) installs to & runs from SD without problems where (1) does not.
Suggest (with greatest respect) that you perhaps consider:
A) Change the install paths so that, despite the size of the package, it can be installed & run by users with limited internal storage available by install to SD (or, of course, CF).
Break the large IPK into several smaller packages. For example:
- A "core" Aspell IPK. This IPK would depends on ONE of the next.
- A "minimum" operational IPK for dictionaries & other LANG related files. This "minimum" could be selected from one of several IPKs customized for different environments (lan = en vs jp, model of Z & etc).
- As many "optionals" IPKs as desired.
This would allow flexibility with minimum file size & d/l time/traffic.
As noted earlier, neither (1) nor (2) warn that aspell depends on libncurses to run (no install warnings). Likewise neither provide info on the space required for successful install.
My comments offered in pro bono publico with the greatest respect & admiration for the time & effort you contribute and for your knowledge & experience!
(Aside to forum alpha geeks:)
I really pure do hate it when the board strips out my white space & screws up my formatting, forcing me to do lame tricks like using " .... " instead.
grumble, mumble, flame off. Yeh, I *know* - but, "live with it", doesn't mean that I can't say that it inhales big time!