Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ir Keyboards - Belkin Support?
OESF Forums > General Forums > General Support and Discussion > Software
cvmiller
Hello all,

Sorry if this has been brought up before.

My Pocketop keyboard is dying (too many open and closes has caused the right side keys to be intermittent). I use my SL-6000 and the keyboard everyday (I take a lot of notes at work). So I am looking for a replacement which will be compatible with the IRK driver. I know the Targus is, however it is a bit large.

Has anyone had any experience with the Belkin F8U1500 IR Universal Wireless Keyboard?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00008W81...glance&n=172282

It looks like the IR port is in a good place (for typing on the SL-6000 while rotated to the left), and the price is right.

Any one have any experiences with this keyboard and IRK?

TIA,

Craig...
Hrw
this keyboard works with irk-belkin - sl-5500 + openzaurus 3.5.4
cvmiller
QUOTE(Hrw @ Jul 5 2006, 08:49 AM)
this keyboard works with irk-belkin - sl-5500 + openzaurus 3.5.4

Thanks HRW. It is looking good. After posting here, I found (in Accessories) another thread where a modified IRK works on standard sharp ROM (which is what I am using).

Do you like the keyboard? Any good or bad issues with it? I have been living with a function key + number for quite some time on the Pocketop, and the Belkin looks more like a "normal" keyboard in that sense.

Thanks,

Craig...
Hrw
Keyboard which I got is a bit broken (in a middle) and I do not have time to either fix it or even use. I fixed IRK packages in OZ after getting it and got it working with irk-belkin on my collie. It does not wanted to work with kbdd or zkbdd but I did not had a time to track why.

On my c760 it was totally not working - probably 2.6 kernel changed too much when it comes to Irda. Did not also tested it with Tosa.
cvmiller
QUOTE(Hrw @ Jul 5 2006, 11:01 AM)
Keyboard which I got is a bit broken (in a middle) and I do not have time to either fix it or even use. I fixed IRK packages in OZ after getting it and got it working with irk-belkin on my collie. It does not wanted to work with kbdd or zkbdd but I did not had a time to track why.

On my c760 it was totally not working - probably 2.6 kernel changed too much when it comes to Irda. Did not also tested it with Tosa.

Thanks,

Well, I'll find out, since I ordered one from Amazon.

Thanks again for the info!

Craig...
the_oak
I have a Belkin F8U1500E (notice the "E" as I'm not sure if it means anything), and it works with the default Sharp rom (1.12), using irk. Having the extra row of number keys is nice, but this keyboard is a bit larger than the Pockettop. About the same thickness, and a 1/2 inch larger both other dimensions.
cvmiller
QUOTE(the_oak @ Jul 6 2006, 12:58 PM)
I have a Belkin F8U1500E (notice the "E" as I'm not sure if it means anything), and it works with the default Sharp rom (1.12), using irk. Having the extra row of number keys is nice, but this keyboard is a bit larger than the Pockettop. About the same thickness, and a 1/2 inch larger both other dimensions.

Thanks Oak,

I responded to you in the "other" IRK Belkin discussion. But since I have you here. How do you configure the command keys. I was able to configure CMD+B to turn on and off the backlight. Now when I configure a command key it doesn't do anything. Actually pressing the command key is like pressing the function key on the old Pocketop, it is the same as pressing the "home" key on the Zaurus. So I can't chord a cmd+b.

Is your 0.11.1f a better driver than kopis?

TIA,

Craig...
the_oak
I'm not sure if this driver is better than another, as this is the only one I have ever used. But notice that there are 2 F8U1500 drivers in the list within the irk program. One is a F8U1500T, and that is the one that works with my F8U1500E keyboard. (With the F8U1500 one, some letters, such as "a" do not work.) My cmd key works as it should, but I have not programmed any key combos besides those already there. Cmd + b opens email program by default.

Look on the "spine" of the keyboard to see if there is a letter after the F8U1500. And I found out the hard way, do NOT change drivers within the irk program without turning irk off first.
cvmiller
QUOTE(the_oak @ Jul 12 2006, 07:49 AM)
I'm not sure if this driver is better than another, as this is the only one I have ever used. But notice that there are 2 F8U1500 drivers in the list within the irk program. One is a F8U1500T, and that is the one that works with my F8U1500E keyboard. (With the F8U1500 one, some letters, such as "a" do not work.) My cmd key works as it should, but I have not programmed any key combos besides those already there. Cmd + b opens email program by default.

Look on the "spine" of the keyboard to see if there is a letter after the F8U1500. And I found out the hard way, do NOT change drivers within the irk program without turning irk off first.

Thanks Oak!

You are a genious! I was having problems with the 'a' key as well. In fact, I thought I was going to have to return it. Then I thought I would try the F8u1500T driver, and it worked! BTW, my "spine" shows that this is an E keyboard as well.

What I don't have working is turning on/off the backlight (something I used quite a bit) and turning of the Zaurus (cmd+backspace). I see from Craig's old page how one is supposed to turn off the backlight, but it doesn't seem to work when I map it to a cmd key. I'll keep trying.

Thanks,

Craig...
cvmiller
I am having _real_ problems with the Belkin keyboard when it comes to typing. It is dropping quite a few characters, and sometime inserts chars when I know I am pressing the right key (like M for return, and H for backspace). Only when I set the keyboard _real_ close to the Z IR window (about 3 mm) does it seem semi reliable.

Oak, how do you have your Belkin and Z setup? Are you using the included stand?

I have my Z in landscape (on its size rotated counter clockwise) with the IR window pointing to me, and the Belkin sitting on the same flat surface, and I am having lots of problems.

Thanks,

Craig...
the_oak
I do not use the included stand, but I use my home-made case with a home-made kick-stand. My camera's battery is dead atm, but I will try to get pictures up later or tomorrow. One thing I have noticed is that if the IR port lines up perfectly with the IR eye on the keyboard, it will act really strange. You have to have the keyboard at an angle to the IR port. In landscape (rotated right) the IR eye on my keyboard is a little to the right of the IR port on the Zaurus. Otherwise, typing will result in wrong letters , backspaces, and other uncontrollable weirdness.
cvmiller
QUOTE(the_oak @ Jul 13 2006, 01:19 PM)
I do not use the included stand, but I use my home-made case with a home-made kick-stand. My camera's battery is dead atm, but I will try to get pictures up later or tomorrow. One thing I have noticed is that if the IR port lines up perfectly with the IR eye on the keyboard, it will act really strange. You have to have the keyboard at an angle to the IR port. In landscape (rotated right) the IR eye on my keyboard is a little to the right of the IR port on the Zaurus. Otherwise, typing will result in wrong letters , backspaces, and other uncontrollable weirdness.

Thanks Oak,

It would be interesting to see your setup. My setup is quite a bit simpiler. I have a pen, pencil or post-it pad (what ever is handy) proping up the SL-6000 with the IR window facing toward me (rotated left). The keyboard is just sitting on the desk, with the Z behind (farther way) it.

I have found there there is a no-go distance I want to avoid with the Belkin keyboard. Yesterday I tried running the keyboard about 2" (5cm) away from the Z, and I was getting good clean key presses. If I run the keyboard only an inch (2.5 cm) away, that seems to be the no-go zone, resulting in what you are seeing, odd letters, backspaces, and other weirdness.

In my case, I think this is due to that fact that the Belkin has 2 LED transmitters, one shooting straight out, and the other angled up (to work with the included stand). I think when the keyboard is only 1" (2.5 cm) away, the two signals are interfering with eachother, which results in the weirdness. You may be experiencing the same thing, but by moving the IR windows off axis, you are avoiding the interference.

To prove my theory, I set the keyboard in the no-go zone, and took a business card, and covered the right half of the keyboard IR window while typing. The keyboard worked just fine. Removing the business card, and it was back to weirdness. For you, it may be the left side (of the IR window) since your setup is a little different.

On a slightly different subject, I think there is a bug in the IRK for Qcop macros, and that is why I can't get the backlight to shut off. I have pulled down the source, and I'll have to look into a bit more.

Thanks again for all the help,

Craig...
the_oak
Here is my setup:

http://geocities.com/theoker/homemade.html

(I need to eventually replace the blurry pictures.)
cvmiller
QUOTE(the_oak @ Jul 14 2006, 10:18 AM)
Here is my setup:

http://geocities.com/theoker/homemade.html

(I need to eventually replace the blurry pictures.)

That's a very nice setup, Oak. As you can see mine is quite a bit simpler.
http://www.makikiweb.com/Zaurus/zaurus_belkin_setup+.jpg

Note the distance between the keyboard and the Z. Any closer, and I get into the interference zone.

Thanks again for all the help!

Craig...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.