Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Blaze Psp On Tv
OESF Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Model Specific Forums > C1000/3x00 Hardware
Fushnchupsh
Well, I was surfing the net at work and I came across this Blaze PSP on TV adapter it essentially uses a high quality camera to take a continuous feed of the psp screen. Unlike the other psp to tv adapters, it requires no hacking. I know that the zaurus and psp have similar batteries and all that this hooks into is the battery plug and the rca plug... Do you think with a little hacking around this could work with the Z? I've always wanted to use my zaurus with a monitor... and a tv screen would be the next best thing.

Ideas?
Tom61
I think the optics may be setup wrong for the Z, as the PSP has a 16:9 screen, but the the Z has 4:3.
Da_Blitz
true but as long as the Z's screen is smaller it shourd display somthing. if it puts black bars at the top and the bottom to display 16:9 on a 4:3 sscreen you will be fine hawever if it just chucks 16:9 at a screen then you will get some distorsion

if you can get some pics i will have a quick look however instintinct tells me it sould work if the screen is the right size
Antikx
Has anyone tried one of these with their Zaurus yet?
Ling
Looks cool. Unfortunately Lik-Sang went out of business, so you will probably have to look for a used on. The are a couple of the PSPonTV's up on eBay (PAL) for around $36. Not bad. I am going to keep an eye out for one of these. I bought a number of items from Lik-Sang. Great company, but constantly treading the hairy edge of IP and Copyright. Looks like this place has them for $60:

http://www.superufo.com/review_html/Review..._adapters_.html

I would probably be willing to give it a shot unless someone sees something that definitely won't work. Confidence is not high on getting my Colorgraphic to work to the point that I can hook up on the road and do work. If you want a test pilot, I will pick one up after the 1st of the month.
Ling
Then for another $80, you could convert the TV signal to VGA. ohmy.gif Would probably look *great* blink.gif
Meanie
QUOTE(Ling @ Jan 19 2007, 12:59 PM)
Would probably look *great*  blink.gif

and also look BIG smile.gif

I'll probably get one next time I go to Hong Kong...
Ling
Looking on eBay, there are used Nyko Play on TV devices for $19 with reasonable shipping. For me, ends up being about $27 deliver in US, DC area. I imagine that all of these devices will function the same, just different features. May be better to experiment with a cheaper one, particularly if we may want to perform some *modifications* on the device. biggrin.gif BTW these are BIN auctions and I am not affiliated with nor have I ever purchased from the seller.
speculatrix
QUOTE(Fushnchupsh @ Jul 15 2006, 02:40 PM)
with the Z?  I've always wanted to use my zaurus with a monitor... and a tv screen would be the next best thing.

thinking out loud, why don't some of these high-end multimedia TVs have a VNC viewer or rdesktop client built in, so that they can allow you to have the full PC experience using just a thin client? Hmm, I wonder if a vnc client for xbox or xbox360 would solve this problem.
Da_Blitz
because it wouldnt be considered "simple"

however if you hooked it up with avhai or zero conf then it wouldnt be too hard to have a list that you could navigate of all the devices that advertise "vnc", i know my home PC adveritses some services (sftp for one, than you fedora for having that set up by default)

anyway i think a TV should just be a display adaptor, move the smarts into somthing that can be upgraded independitnly

actually an xbox with xbmc is one of the best media devices i have seen, add in an x server and a bash script and somthing like this could be whipped up in about 30 lines of code. actually this sounds like the "bulldog" secure pc idea
speculatrix
QUOTE(Da_Blitz @ Jan 24 2007, 09:47 AM)
actually an xbox with xbmc is one of the best media devices i have seen, add in an x server and a bash script and somthing like this could be whipped up in about 30 lines of code. actually this sounds like the "bulldog" secure pc idea

xmbc? I love it... just upgraded to the latest version - 2.0.1. it does run a web server which is quite effective for remote control. If only the xbox had USB2 and you could attach a dvb-t adaptor, it would be magic!
Ling
QUOTE(Ling @ Jan 20 2007, 11:18 AM)
Looking on eBay, there are used Nyko Play on TV devices for $19 with reasonable shipping. For me, ends up being about $27 deliver in US, DC area. I imagine that all of these devices will function the same, just different features. May be better to experiment with a cheaper one, particularly if we may want to perform some *modifications* on the device.  biggrin.gif BTW these are BIN auctions and I am not affiliated with nor have I ever purchased from the seller.

Well, got one. Some surgery required. I got a pretty good deal. For the $19 I got the Play on TV and a PSP accessory kit with a lot of PSP stuff. I am going to have to take the hacksaw or something to the Play on TV in order to get it to fit well on the Z. I will share my results once I have the mod complete.
Capn_Fish
I eagerly await the results!
Antikx
*chomping on bit*
Antikx
I'm dieing here, Ling! smile.gif
What's the scoop?
Ling
Sorry. Bottom line is that it is doable. I took it apart and looked at it. I am fooling around with a non-destructive method first before I resort to the hacksaw. I am busy with school for a few more months, so play time for my z is limited. Bottom line is that it works, it is just a matter of sufficient surgery to get it to lay flat against the screen. Rather than cut it up, I am looking at making a shim so that my son could also use it with his PSP. It has a plug for USB and power. Unfortunately, they are lined up on the opposite side from the one that works best for the z. I think with my shim method, I can leave the cable along. If I have to resort to the hacksaw, I will drill/dremel some small holes and bring them out the other side. If the shim method works, I think i can just post a template to cut one out as an attachment to this forum (or the new one!). I will try and get on it this week.

Also, I don't see any reason to spend more for the blaze, etc. They all seem to be similar. The other thing that slowed me down was when I found out the pdaXii13 doesn't support my Fellowes Stowaway USB keyboard (darn).
Antikx
Ya! Good to hear.
How is the quality on the TV?
Can you read text in a console?
Does it cover the whole Zaurus screen?
Thanks for the mini-review!
Ling
I will assess the readibility. The aperture is actually slightly larger than the z, so you get some of the frame as well. I am thinking that I will paint my shim flat black so it is less noticeable.
Antikx
Very good. Thanks again! Can't wait to hear about readability.
Antikx
Hmmm. trying to track one down in Canada or USA.
Looks like only place is in China:
http://www.divineo.cn/cgi-bin/div-cn/psp-tvad.html
speculatrix
QUOTE(Ling @ Mar 6 2007, 02:59 AM)
I will assess the readibility. The aperture is actually slightly larger than the z, so you get some of the frame as well. I am thinking that I will paint my shim flat black so it is less noticeable.

can I suggest you buy some eggshell finish matte black paint (sometimes called blackboard paint), which has a really rough non-reflective finish and is ideal for reducing reflections.... probably available in any good hobby shop.
Fushnchupsh
I am really glad to hear my idea turned into something... Yay I actually contributed (a very small!!) something to the forum :-D. Great to hear about your success, ling. Thank you for your hard work and testing.

--Fish
Antikx
yes. Thank you.
I had thought of using a digital camera and making an enclosure, but having someone do all the work and testing for me is A-OK! smile.gif
Also, There are LCD monitors now that have built in tuners, so that you can have your cake and eat it too.
Ling
I will post results and updates here:

http://zaurus.freeforums.org/viewtopic.php?p=9#9

FWIW, this whole concept is useless to me until I get my Fellowes Stowaway USB keyboard working. I am hoping that Meanie will take a look at it. I can live without the wheel on my mouse, but not a keyboard.
Capn_Fish
So you think this will work well for video-out? It sounds as though the picture is good...
Antikx
It sure sounds like it. ya!
I'm gonna have to ask for one as an early b-day present. wink.gif
thanks for giving us the info Ling.
Ling
The cutting begins:

http://zaurus.freeforums.org/viewtopic.php?p=13#13
Ling
All cutting, glueing, sanding, cleaning complete. Read more here:

http://zaurus.freeforums.org/viewtopic.php?p=20#20
speculatrix
cool, look forward to seeing photos
Antikx
QUOTE(speculatrix @ Apr 9 2007, 11:23 PM)
cool, look forward to seeing photos

Ditto.
Good work Ling.
Ling
OK, you asked for it. Check out my crappy photos:

http://zaurus.freeforums.org/viewtopic.php?p=21#21

Unlike OESF, the attachments work great with Firefox. Enjoy.
Antikx
Ya!
You rock.
Thanks.
Antikx
Has anyone else been playing with this?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.