Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: C1000 Screen - Visibility Outside
OESF Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Model Specific Forums > C1000/3x00 Hardware
uMP2k
As a Zaurus newbie (so new I have not even bought one yet smile.gif ) I am wondering what the useability of the C1000 is outside.

Although I am new to the Z I have a lot of experience with PDAs (going back to the Newton and including a good number of Pocket PCs) and am wondering how the Z compares in this respect. My current Pocket PC, and Axim x50v, has a great screen but even that has its limits in direct sunlight so I am not expecting miracles.

I guess I just want to know that the Z screen is not a complete hopeless case in the sun.
daniel3000
The screen is not transflective, so if the sun shines brighter than the backlight behind the screen, you have no chance.
I can read the screen with maximum backlight outside in the shade without a problem. In direct sunlight it's inconvenient to impossible.

If you need a palmtop with excellent readability in direct sunlight, I recommend the HP 200LX :-)

daniel
uMP2k
QUOTE(daniel3000 @ Jul 25 2006, 09:31 PM)
The screen is not transflective, so if the sun shines brighter than the backlight behind the screen, you have no chance.
I can read the screen with maximum backlight outside in the shade without a problem. In direct sunlight it's inconvenient to impossible.

If you need a palmtop with excellent readability in direct sunlight, I recommend the HP 200LX :-)

daniel

Well I guess that is a bit disappointing -especially as I live in sunny Perth, Western Australia.

Still, I am so damn keen to try one of these that I will probably still get one and see if I can live with it.
daniel3000
You could maybe build some kind of sunshield (like a big lens hood) from black thick paper.
I did this for a digital camera which did only have a screen and no view finder. Worked very well.

daniel
wrc4
QUOTE(daniel3000 @ Jul 25 2006, 11:56 PM)
You could maybe build some kind of sunshield (like a big lens hood) from black thick paper.
I did this for a digital camera which did only have a screen and no view finder. Worked very well.

daniel

Since it's a clamshell you could make a shade by holding the device upside down. You just need to adjust the Screen Rotate parameters.

Also, if you do that in Z Emu, you will get the D-pad on your left hand, making it more like GBA. wink.gif
nilch
If you so want a Zaurus and readability in the sunlight - get a Zaurus SL-6000.
The screen is bigger (4"), better and sharper and absolutely readable in sunlight.

Its just not a clamshell type - thats the downside.
bluedevils
and the limited flash on the 6000 is another downside. For my 3100, I think my sunglasess help, when the polarization lines up properly.
Snappy
I think the C3200 is using a transflective screen ... yes?
bluedevils
no. all clamshells use the same basic screen. Transmissive.
uMP2k
Thanks everybody for your comments.

It does sound like the C1000 is not going to be great for outdoors use, but this was really more a curiosity thing than any burning need for an outdoors PDA.

I do use my PDA (what ever it might be at the time) for watching movies, or playing a game of quake,on the bus going to work quite a bit, but I am guessing the Z should be able to cope with that.

I also find that the anti-glare screen protector from boxwave that I use on my Axim helps in the sun and as it is the same physical size screen (from what I can work out) then I might give that a go as well.
uMP2k
Welll I went ahead an got myself a C1000 and do you know what - the screen visability issue turned out to be a complete non-issue.

The screen on the C1000 is excellent. Indoors I have not seen anything like it and even out in the sun it is no worse than any of the screens I have had on Pocket PCs. If I use maxim brightness (which because of the excellent battery life I am able to use most of the time) then I can see the screen in most situations and those that it cannot cope with, well neither would the screen on my Axim x50v.
bluedevils
I'm glad to hear the good news. It's a fine machine you have there.
deluxe
QUOTE(wrc4 @ Jul 26 2006, 05:30 AM)
QUOTE(daniel3000 @ Jul 25 2006, 11:56 PM)

daniel

Since it's a clamshell you could make a shade by holding the device upside down. You just need to adjust the Screen Rotate parameters.

Also, if you do that in Z Emu, you will get the D-pad on your left hand, making it more like GBA. wink.gif

Anyone know where those parameters are stored?
I would love to rotate my screen the "other" direction, so the wifi card doesn't dig into my hand, and the jog wheel's accessible, when I have the screen rotated and folded back.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2016 Invision Power Services, Inc.