I've been looking around on openzaurus.org and and these forums and have a semi-functional PDA with wireless access, but I haven't been able to get it to work quite right yet.
I've flashed with zImage 48/16 and opie-image3.5.4
I was able to set up an altboot to my 1GB Sandisk SD card with a 300mb loopfile. The installation seemed to work ok until I went to install my Sandisk Connect 128/WLAN card. I used the guide listed Here.
Step one wouldn't work because through the USB sync I couldn't download with ipkg update. I decided to skip that step, powered down, plugged the SD card into my reader and transferred the ipk files over manually. I popped it back in and rebooted and altboot freaked out and couldn't mount the loopfile anymore. I gave up on that and decided to try and get the card working in normal boot (with no sd image). I was able to get up to the prism3 drivers but they kept complaining saying they needed hostap-util, so I found hostap-utils_0.4.7-r3_arm.ipk on a wiki page and installed it. After I did that the prism3 ipks loaded just fine.
Unfortunately after all this I only have 1meg free in /home/root/. When installing most applications, especially Konqureror (the whole reason I tried playing with this was to be able to browse web pages), I get the following message after the install downloads. "The package manager was terminated due to signal code signal SIGABRT"
I was able to istall a few packages, iceblox, opie-gutenbrowser, opie-kpackman (although packman got linking errors) to the SD card. Also if the unit goes into sleep mode the only way to wake up the WLAN card is to unplug and plug back in. I can't stop the card w/ network control panel because stopping fails.
So I try and go back to redo my SD image. I delete the old .bin file in /boot-images and redo altboot for the SD card. Once the image is loaded up it shows 600meg used (somehow it's not reading that the old .bin is gone, although if I do an ls in /boot-images/ it only shows one file.
I go ahead and try to configure the WLAN card under the sd loopfile boot anyway just to see if it will work. I end up getting this error when I load the final prism3 drivers..
"ipkg: invalid magic"
As long as I can get Konqueror and a nice telnet browser that supports ANSI i'll be happy. If anyone has some tips on the errors, or using a different rom file, please let me know.