Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Problems With Pdaxrom 1.1.0beta3 Sl-c3100
OESF Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Distro Support and Discussion > pdaXrom
Pages: 1, 2
daniel3000
Hello,

opening a new thread for discussion about several problems I have with pdaXrom 1.1.0beta3 on the SL-C3100.

Flashed it with 121MB root fs size.

* Setting date and time:
After a suspend it always falls back to some date like August 17th 2005 and time 23:50 or similar. I have tried setting the time via the GUI and via "date -s" command.
When I set the time via date -s prior to "startx", it does not suspend and reports the time correctly. But after a reboot (without startx in between), it falls back to Aug 17 00:24:54 UTC 2005!
(Seems as if two parallel times are counting: a hardware clock which is not updated when using time -s and the software clock which uses the date -s time... I have seen something like that on MS-DOS machines before)
EDIT: This issue is solved:
I had to stop the atd daemon in order to let the hwclock tool access /dev/rtc. then, after setting the software time with "date -s", a "hwclock --systohc" also set the hw clock correctly, and the time survives a reboot!

* After setting the time with date -s or the GUI, the Z suspends. When using the GUI it wakes up again, when using date -s it doesn't.

* The Z sometimes suspends without me having told it to and no suspend timeout could have elapsed. Maybe has to do with date/time issues (timeouts running too quickly?)

* When installing packages via the ipkg command or package manager GUI, the root fs fills up and packages cannot be installed because IPK files are stored in the root fs before they are installed. Any way to tell the package manager to use another temp storage for the IPK files?

* When installing using the ipkg install [packagename] command, I often get 404 errors when it tries to download package with name "__.ipk". Why does it try that?
I have set up quite some feeds and with "ipkg update" they are correctly read in, no communication errors when updating.

* Sometimes after a suspend the taskbar applets are almost all gone (including the clock). Only the card eject applet is still there. What could be the reason?

* Once on poweron after a suspend the GUI was not operable at all. Time counted on the clock and mouse cursor moved when I moved the USB mouse, but nothing else worked. Even after subsequent suspend / wakeup cycles this didn't change. required a reset. (Not even Ctrl-Alt-Del etc. worked).

* After installing kdepim/pi 2.2.7, kopi-apm and atd (dependency of kopi-apm), kopi alarms do NOT wake up the zaurus (ko/pi running, Z suspended, ko/pi configured to use internal alarm feature). Did I miss something or does this not work reliably?
EDIT: This is solved now with the issue above setting date and time. Alarm now works!

* Where to start if I want to develop on-board (mainly for compiling ready-made console applications such as mutt, nano etc.)? Is it snough to install the relevant packages such as gcc, make etc.? Or is there an all-in-one package somewhere?

...well, if I cannot resolve some of these problems, I may have to switch back to Cacko again, because I need a reliable machine. I need my calendar and contacts one keystroke away, but I'd have found it nice to have a full-featured X system as well because of the compatibility and the large software base which can be used. So please, could you help me with these issues? It would be so nice if I could stay with pdaXrom!

Once everything is up and running I will provide a detailed description of all problems and solutions, and my setup in general, similar to the Cacko description I have published here:
http://www.daniel-hertrich.de/zaurus/zps

Thanks a lot
daniel
daniel3000
One more issue:
How to enable the mouse scroll wheel? It would be nice if, like in Cacko, it would allow me to scroll in agenda views in KO/PI or on the console or in text documents...
ZDevil
Hi. Maybe not of much help. Just a few quick replies from a dummy.

[quote=daniel3000,Aug 8 2006, 10:24 AM]
Flashed it with 121MB root fs size.
[/quote]

Same here. I did it all the time for all versions. No problem so far. My machine is C1000.

[QUOTE]* Setting date and time:
After a suspend it always falls back to some date like August 17th 2005 and time 23:50 or similar. I have tried setting the time via the GUI and via "date -s" command.
When I set the time via date -s prior to "startx", it does not suspend and reports the time correctly. But after a reboot (without startx in between), it falls back to Aug 17 00:24:54 UTC 2005!
(Seems as if two parallel times are counting: a hardware clock which is not updated when using time -s and the software clock which uses the date -s time... I have seen something like that on MS-DOS machines before)
* After setting the time with date -s or the GUI, the Z suspends. When using the GUI it wakes up again, when using date -s it doesn't.[/QUOTE]

Date and time setting work perfectly for me. Both the GUI and the date -s command work as expected. (Date and time fall back to 1st Jan 1970 under Beta4 after reboot, though.)

[QUOTE]* The Z sometimes suspends without me having told it to and no suspend timeout could have elapsed. Maybe has to do with date/time issues (timeouts running too quickly?)
[/QUOTE]

No issue in my case. Suspend and resume both work normally.

[QUOTE]* When installing packages via the ipkg command or package manager GUI, the root fs fills up and packages cannot be installed because IPK files are stored in the root fs before they are installed. Any way to tell the package manager to use another temp storage for the IPK files?
[/QUOTE]

Did you try to select the destination in the top right ("Install On: ...") of the Package Manager GUI?

[QUOTE]* When installing using the ipkg install [packagename] command, I often get 404 errors when it tries to download package with name "__.ipk". Why does it try that?
I have set up quite some feeds and with "ipkg update" they are correctly read in, no communication errors when updating.
[/QUOTE]

Do you mean xxx_armv5tel.ipk? Simply xxx.ipk is for Sharp/Cacko.

[QUOTE]* Sometimes after a suspend the taskbar applets are almost all gone (including the clock). Only the card eject applet is still there.  What could be the reason?
[/QUOTE]

How about change the window manager and desktop? I highly recommend icewm (with the
very nice configuration tools compiled by igorekk here: http://www.oesf.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=18283 ) + Rox desktop (for instance, see http://zaurus.spy.org/feeds/jedhead/static...ic050213-150726 ). I am beginning to like it on my newly (re)flashed Beta3. cool.gif

[QUOTE]* Once on poweron after a suspend the GUI was not operable at all. Time counted on the clock and mouse cursor moved when I moved the USB mouse, but nothing else worked. Even after subsequent suspend / wakeup cycles this didn't change. required a reset. (Not even Ctrl-Alt-Del etc. worked).
[/QUOTE]

No issue here. So can't help. Sorry ....

[QUOTE]* After installing kdepim/pi 2.2.7, kopi-apm and atd (dependency of kopi-apm), kopi alarms do NOT wake up the zaurus (ko/pi running, Z suspended, ko/pi configured to use internal alarm feature). Did I miss something or does this not work reliably?
[/QUOTE]

This is also what I am concerned about. Whether the alarm is working or not would be the deciding factor for me to fall back to KO/Pi. Otherwise I may stick with the speedy and easy JPilot. rolleyes.gif To my mind, the Palm PIM data format is relatively easy to handle and exchange with various applications. There are a non-GTK and a GTK2 version available in the forums and the feeds.

[QUOTE]* Where to start if I want to develop on-board (mainly for compiling ready-made console applications such as mutt, nano etc.)? Is it snough to install the relevant packages such as gcc, make etc.? Or is there an all-in-one package somewhere?
[/QUOTE]

I know barely the ins and outs of compilation, but I still manage to use the native SDK to compile some small nice apps. Just mount the zgcc image (and if necessary change the paths in /etc/profile to match the version number of the zgcc), turn swapfile on, and you are ready to build things on the fly. It's really big fun! smile.gif

[QUOTE]...well, if I cannot resolve some of these problems, I may have to switch back to Cacko again, because I need a reliable machine. I need my calendar and contacts one keystroke away, but I'd have found it nice to have a full-featured X system as well because of the compatibility and the large software base which can be used. So please, could you help me with these issues? It would be so nice if I could stay with pdaXrom!
[/QUOTE]

Agree. I think there are many users (like me) who are not *nix experts or gurus and are eager to use Zaurus for work, study and all sorts of practical purposes. It's not that they are particularly ignorant or stupid. It's just that different people have differet needs and not everyone in the world is (and should be) a natural born hacker. (Of course learning and being able to tweak and get thiings work is in itself part of the great fun... tongue.gif )

[QUOTE]Once everything is up and running I will provide a detailed description of all problems and solutions, and my setup in general, similar to the Cacko description I have published here: http://www.daniel-hertrich.de/zaurus/zps

[/QUOTE]

Oh, please go ahead! Handy tips for users (especially beginners and non-gurus) are always badly needed. Thanks in advance! laugh.gif
ZDevil
QUOTE(daniel3000 @ Aug 8 2006, 10:24 AM)
I had to stop the atd daemon in order to let the hwclock tool access /dev/rtc. then, after setting the software time with "date -s", a "hwclock --systohc" also set the hw clock correctly, and the time survives a reboot!

So what about the atd daemon then? You still need that to get the alarm to work, right? Thanks!

P.S. Dunno why my post above turns into a mess in display. Sorry for that.
daniel3000
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Aug 8 2006, 11:03 AM)
Date and time setting work perfectly for me. Both the GUI and the date -s command work as expected. (Date and time fall back to 1st Jan 1970 under Beta4 after reboot, though.)

I have solved this issue now. See original post's EDIT. :-)

No issue in my case. Suspend and resume both work normally.

good. So it should work. Probalby my problems had to do with that date/time issue. Will have to observe that.

Did you try to select the destination in the top right ("Install On: ...") of the Package Manager GUI?

Sorry, I was not clear.
I don't want to install the IPK contents somewhere else. They still should go to the root fs. I just want the package manager to temporarily store the IPK files somewhere else. The manager downloads the IPK and stores it (in flash, currently) then it installs the IPK and deletes it again.
If I have only 16MB left in the root fs and it tries to download and install a 9MB package, it will be able to download it, but will not be able to install it afterwards, because only 7MB are still free.

Do you mean xxx_armv5tel.ipk?  Simply xxx.ipk is for Sharp/Cacko.

No. I mean literally "__.ipk" (two underscores dot IPK).
I have searched google and found a few hits, but nothing helped me to eolve that problem.

How about change the window manager and desktop?  I highly recommend icewm (with the
very nice configuration tools compiled by igorekk here: http://www.oesf.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=18283 ) + Rox desktop (for instance, see http://zaurus.spy.org/feeds/jedhead/static...ic050213-150726 ). I am beginning to like it on my newly (re)flashed Beta3.  cool.gif

I'll probably do that some day, but not yet. I have first to find the essential software I need, make it work, then care about look and feel and fix issues like that which are not that essential.

This is also what I am concerned about. Whether the alarm is working or not would be the deciding factor for me to fall back to KO/Pi. Otherwise I may stick with the speedy and easy JPilot.  rolleyes.gif  To my mind, the Palm PIM data format is relatively easy to handle and exchange with various applications. There are a non-GTK and a GTK2 version available in the forums and the feeds. 

After fixing the date/time issue, a test alarm worked well, even when the Z was in suspend.
I think I have to take care that KO/PI is always running, i.e. never close it, othrwise the Z may be woken up by atd but the alarm will not ring.
Will have to observe that now.

Thanks for your thoughts!

daniel
daniel3000
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Aug 8 2006, 11:41 AM)
QUOTE(daniel3000 @ Aug 8 2006, 10:24 AM)

So what about the atd daemon then? You still need that to get the alarm to work, right? Thanks!

Yes. I must restart atd after setting the time.
Probably the Date/Time applet in pdaxrom should check for atd and handle it (stopping, then setting time, then restarting). I'll look into that later. I think I have to learn a lot of Python in order to be able to change such things :-]

daniel
daniel3000
How can I enable German Umlauts with Fn-o, Fn-a, Fn-u and the "ß" with Fn-s?

thanks
daniel
daniel3000
When I install Meanie's pdaXQTrom packages
thunderbird
firefox

I get problems:
firefox, called form console, just quits without any message on stdout or stderr.
thunderbird reports
CODE
/usr/lib/thunderbird-1.0.7/run-mozilla.sh: line 158: 5849 Illegal instruction
   "$prog" ${1+"$@"}

What could that mean?

gnumeric first cried for libgoffice, after installing the goffice package in meanies feed, it now wants libgsf. We'll see...
gnumeric is a must-have for me. Is there another version directly compiled for pdaxrom?

Abiword 2.4.4-2 by meanie works nicely after installing the libiconv-1.9.2 package from the feeds. Otherwise it reports missing library libiconv.so.2.

Are there versions of these applicatoins compiled for pdaxrom with the libc iconv functions instead of using libiconv?

Thanks
daniel
desertrat
QUOTE(daniel3000 @ Aug 8 2006, 08:24 AM)

I made a little script to fix the date:
CODE
/etc/rc.d/init.d/atd stop
sleep 3
rm -rf /etc/localtime
ntpdate pool.ntp.org
hwclock --systohc
hwclock --utc
ln -sf /usr/share/zoneinfo/SOME/ZONENAME /etc/localtime
/etc/rc.d/init.d/atd start

I run it now and again when I'm on a network.

* The Z sometimes suspends without me having told it to and no suspend timeout could have elapsed. Maybe has to do with date/time issues (timeouts running too quickly?)

Almost the same problem here, except that the screen blanks out instead of suspending. This is despite the fact that I have set the suspend and screen off times to zero minutes for both battery and AC power.

* When installing packages via the ipkg command or package manager GUI, the root fs fills up and packages cannot be installed because IPK files are stored in the root fs before they are installed. Any way to tell the package manager to use another temp storage for the IPK files?

Download ipk manually and use the command line to install, it's quicker anyway - the gui has to read the info about the installed packages.

* Sometimes after a suspend the taskbar applets are almost all gone (including the clock). Only the card eject applet is still there.  What could be the reason?

Has already been suggested, use icewm. I made the switch to icewm when I upgraded from beta1 to beta3. Now I'm not sure what is responsible, beta3 or icewm, but the system has been much more stable, I can go for weeks without lockups. Now the most common reason why I need to reboot is because of Firefox (see below). Also suspend and resume times are a lot quicker. With matchbox, when resuming it seems to restart the WM so the apps gets redrawn etc and takes ages when you have a number of apps opened.

* Where to start if I want to develop on-board (mainly for compiling ready-made console applications such as mutt, nano etc.)? Is it snough to install the relevant packages such as gcc, make etc.? Or is there an all-in-one package somewhere?

As mentioned, just the get mountable image it's convenient and very easy to setup. You can also install the required packages separately but that will eat into your root fs.

I get problems:
firefox, called form console, just quits without any message on stdout or stderr.
thunderbird reports
CODE
/usr/lib/thunderbird-1.0.7/run-mozilla.sh: line 158: 5849 Illegal instruction
  "$prog" ${1+"$@"}

I sometimes get a similar error with Firefox - it crashes and when I restart it I get that error. Unfortunately the only thing I know that "fixes" it is a reboot sad.gif

-- cheers
ZDevil
QUOTE(daniel3000 @ Aug 8 2006, 01:16 PM)
How can I enable German Umlauts with Fn-o, Fn-a, Fn-u and the "ß" with Fn-s?

I suppose that can be done straightforwardly by modifying /etc/X11/kb/akita.xmodmap .

QUOTE(daniel3000 @ Aug 8 2006, 02:19 PM)
When I install Meanie's pdaXQTrom packages
thunderbird
firefox
I get problems:

I use the firefox package from the official Beta1 feed ( http://mail.pdaxrom.org/download/1.1.0beta...s-7x0-860/feed/ ), and not Meanie's pdaXQTrom version. It runs well. Can be called from console successfully. Startup can take only less than half a minute.

Abiword 2.4.4-2 by meanie works nicely after installing the libiconv-1.9.2 package from the feeds. Otherwise it reports missing library libiconv.so.2.
Are there versions of these applicatoins compiled for pdaxrom with the libc iconv functions instead of using libiconv?

I also found that many existing useful apps still depend on libiconv and have to be recompiled to use libc iconv. sad.gif

QUOTE(daniel3000 @ Aug 8 2006, 12:13 PM)
I don't want to install the IPK contents somewhere else. They still should go to the root fs. I just want the package manager to temporarily store the IPK files somewhere else. The manager downloads the IPK and stores it (in flash, currently) then it installs the IPK and deletes it again.
If I have only 16MB left in the root fs and it tries to download and install a 9MB package, it will be able to download it, but will not be able to install it afterwards, because only 7MB are still free.

It seems the downloads will go to /home/tmp/ipkg. Perhaps a symlink to somewhere else will do?
InSearchOf
QUOTE(daniel3000 @ Aug 8 2006, 12:13 PM)
If I have only 16MB left in the root fs and it tries to download and i[]nstall a 9MB package, it will be able to download it, but will not be able to install it afterwards, because only 7MB are still free.

Change this....
dest tmpinst /home/tmp/ipkg/inst
to
dest tmpinst /mnt/*device*/*tmp/ipkg/inst

or just /mnt/*device/ whereever... in your /etc/ipkg.conf...

It is the very last line

Late
daniel3000
Great! Thank you guys for all the valuable feedback. Now I'll have to try around.
I will create NAND backups now and then when I have a clean setup, so I can always go back to the last clean setup without having to do everything again.
Saved me on ehour of work already, when I tried to install a selection of packages from the feeds, which was oviously too large. The root fs was full, and I don't know if the package manager quits cleanly in such a state, so I reflashed the NAND backup and restarted installing :-)

Now I install in smaller chunks and will install less important things to SD.

I'll report about my progress here.

One question, though:
I have added a lot of feeds to ipkg.conf, this results in some packages being listed four times in the "Available" tab of the GUI-based package manager.
Is there a way to control from which feed such a package is installed if only one of the four occurrences is chosen? Do the packages with the same name and version differ in the different feeds?
I am afraid that this method of installing packages may install incompatible versions, e.g. if it takes the "kustreader" package from the 7x0-8x0 beta 1 feed rather than from teh Cxx00 beta3 feed (jsut an example).

How can this issue be solved (or does it have to be solved at all)?

Thanks so much
daniel
adf
my workaround has always been to add feeds gradually. I start with the machine feed (for me and you 3100) add all the software I want, then add the general feed, add software from them, then add the contribs (cutnpaste--there are a lot of 'em) etc.

kind of a pain, especially as you'll want to install lots o stuff you might not need from the 1st feed or 2 just in case.
daniel3000
QUOTE(adf @ Aug 8 2006, 10:34 PM)
my workaround has always been to add feeds gradually. I start with the machine feed (for me and you 3100) add all the software I want, then add the general feed, add software from them, then add the contribs (cutnpaste--there are a lot of 'em) etc.

kind of a pain, especially as you'll want to install lots o stuff you might not need from the 1st feed or 2 just in case.

I considered such a way, but there are dependencies which can only be resolved if all the feeds are in the list at once.

Well, for now I think I have to hope the packages are correct.

daniel
daniel3000
Most applications I start start in a way that the window is large and doesn't fit the screen or that the window is smaller than the screen.

Is there a way to tell the window manager that aplcation XY should be started in a maximised, i.e. fitted to screen, window?

Thanks
daniel
adf
QUOTE(daniel3000 @ Aug 9 2006, 06:35 AM)
Most applications I start start in a way that the window is large and doesn't fit the screen or that the window is smaller than the screen.

Is there a way to tell the window manager that aplcation XY should be started in a maximised, i.e. fitted to screen, window?

Thanks
daniel

again, I tended to eiterh ignore it, or change window managers. xfce, icewm and (I think) fvwm will handle your window sizes better. A few app just don't behave , period--you just have to use alt to get around. The one that comes to mind in this regard is the preferences in firefox..
ZDevil
Using other window managers will solve the window sizing problems.
Icewm, xfce, KDE, windowmaker, etc, can automatically resize the windows in many ways you want, plus a lot of goodies. :-)
The only workarounds I know under matchbox is to use set the geometry option for individual programs, which is not always working, and to issue Ctrl-Alt-M manually.
Srono
Can i know the name of some working goodies in icewm? Thanks alot.
daniel3000
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Aug 9 2006, 10:18 AM)
Using other window managers will solve the window sizing problems.
Icewm, xfce, KDE, windowmaker, etc, can automatically resize the windows in many ways you want, plus a lot of goodies.  :-)
The only workarounds I know under matchbox is to use set the geometry option for individual programs, which is not always working, and to issue Ctrl-Alt-M manually.

Yes, I'll certainly use another WM later, but for now I'll stick with the default one. Ctrl-Alt-M is a good simple work-around for me. Thanks!

I have seen in another thread (poll) that xfce seems to be the fastest WM, so 'll probably use that one. Does it have significant drawbacks in usability or so?
What about the PDA-specific things like charging / battery indicator, card eject applet, screensaver / suspend disabler applet etc., is it all available in xfce similar to matchbox?
How much space on the root fs do I need to install a full xfce? Can I remove matchbox packages to get some space?

I have tried to start midnight commander: The "graphics" (i.e. borders) are messed up, even with option -a. Is there a way to make it appear correctly?
Which other file manager can you recommend?

I have installed sylpheed-claws 2.0.2.
Now I have that and sylpheed 2.0.0 available.
Which one is better / most recommended (faster etc.)?
I need several accounts, also for sending mail, good filter and search capabilities, and it should handle large mail archives (several 1000 mails).
Is there a version which can use (not only import and export) mbox files?

Last question for now: biggrin.gif
Where can I create / manipulate the matchbox application icons / menu entries?

Thanks a lot for all your help!
daniel
daniel3000

...or can there be any problem with an additionally installed libiconv (1.9.2, or should I compile 2.0?) when the libc already supports iconv functions?

daniel
desertrat
QUOTE(daniel3000 @ Aug 9 2006, 09:23 AM)
I have seen in another thread (poll) that xfce seems to be the fastest WM, so 'll probably use that one.

That poll is flawed! It doesn't even include IceWM as one of the choices. I've used Xfce under beta1, it wasn't exactly fast nor stable. The good thing about it was the session manager so that on startup I have the apps I need automatically loaded (obviously increasing startup time), but sometimes it loads apps into the wrong virtual desktop.

Does it have significant drawbacks in usability or so?

It had a tendency to lose the panel (the thing that holds the system tray, task bar etc), sometimes restarting the panel brings it back otherwise X has to be restarted. Like matchbox, sometimes it takes a long time to resume because it seems to restart the WM, I can see that it reverts to portrait then switches back to landscape then all the apps gets redrawn.

What about the PDA-specific things like charging / battery indicator, card eject applet, screensaver / suspend disabler applet etc., is it all available in xfce similar to matchbox?

You can run all the matchbox applets and they'll appear on the system tray. The nice thing about icewm as opposed to xfce is that several of the applets are already builtin (network monitor, clock, power/battery indicator) so you don't need to run the matchbox equivalent.

I have tried to start midnight commander: The "graphics" (i.e. borders) are messed up, even with option -a. Is there a way to make it appear correctly?

Are you running mc under xterm? I had the same problem when upgrading from beta1 to beta3. Using mrxvt instead of xterm solved that problem.

Which other file manager can you recommend?

For gui I quite like emelfm (emelfm and emelfm2 can be found in this forum).

Last question for now:  biggrin.gif

Most WMs build the menus using the *.desktop files found in /usr/share/applications, some will also look in /usr/local/share/applications (matchbox does not - this is why some packages you find in this forum doesn't have a menu entry under matchbox, I think I am the packager of at least one these packages!).

-- cheers
daniel3000
QUOTE(desertrat @ Aug 9 2006, 03:50 PM)
QUOTE(daniel3000 @ Aug 9 2006, 09:23 AM)
I have seen in another thread (poll) that xfce seems to be the fastest WM, so 'll probably use that one.

That poll is flawed! It doesn't even include IceWM as one of the choices. I've used Xfce under beta1, it wasn't exactly fast nor stable. The good thing about it was the session manager so that on startup I have the apps I need automatically loaded (obviously increasing startup time), but sometimes it loads apps into the wrong virtual desktop.

Aha, so IceWM is more recommended than xfce?
So I'll probably try that one.
Same questions here:
Usability flaws? Space needed on /?

It had a tendency to lose the panel (the thing that holds the system tray, task bar etc), sometimes restarting the panel brings it back otherwise X has to be restarted. Like matchbox, sometimes it takes a long time to resume because it seems to restart the WM, I can see that it reverts to portrait then switches back to landscape then all the apps gets redrawn.

Nogo! So I will NOT use xfce. Thanks for warning me!

Are you running mc under xterm? I had the same problem when upgrading from beta1 to beta3.  Using mrxvt instead of xterm solved that problem.

No, even in mrxvt (0.5.1) mc and mc -a looks totally messed up.

thanks, will try that!

Most WMs build the menus using the *.desktop files found in /usr/share/applications, some will also look in /usr/local/share/applications (matchbox does not - this is why some packages you find in this forum doesn't have a menu entry under matchbox, I think I am the packager of at least one these packages!).

Thanks! Very valuable info. So creating a symlink like

CODE
mv /usr/local/share/applications/* /usr/share/applications
rmdir /usr/local/share/applications
ln -s /usr/share/applications /usr/local/share/applications

should bring up the missing icons and prepare for future packages putting their desktop file in the wrong place, right?

daniel
daniel3000
Another problem:
When I connect an USB hub with BT stick and mouse, everything works fine until suspend/wakeup.
After wakeup the USB stuff remains unpowered (LEDs off).
I have to disconnect/reconnect the hub in order to make USB devices work again.

Anyone else having this problem?
How can I solve this?

Thanks!
daniel
ZDevil
Are you running mc under xterm? I had the same problem when upgrading from beta1 to beta3.  Using mrxvt instead of xterm solved that problem.

No, even in mrxvt (0.5.1) mc and mc -a looks totally messed up.

I wonder if it is the font problem. Specifying the right font seem to fix the problem.

Thanks! Very valuable info. So creating a symlink like
CODE

should bring up the missing icons and prepare for future packages putting their desktop file in the wrong place, right?

I simply use Rox desktop and drag the icons to the workspace and assign shortcut keys using iceked (one of the icewm configuration tools). smile.gif

QUOTE(daniel3000 @ Aug 9 2006, 05:07 PM)
Another problem:
When I connect an USB hub with BT stick and mouse, everything works fine until suspend/wakeup.
After wakeup the USB stuff remains unpowered (LEDs off).
I have to disconnect/reconnect the hub in order to make USB devices work again.
Anyone else having this problem?
How can I solve this?

Would this case have to do with (additional) power requirement to startup/wakeup USB stuff? I don't have issue with USB sticks, mouse and keyboard. I haven't tried USB BT, though.
Chero
Hi,

I don't want to start a discussion on the best/fastest/... WM, but some of the answers I read here are not completely correct. I think it's up to the user to decide what he likes most, even if this means giving up some speed/recources.

[QUOTE][QUOTE]I have seen in another thread (poll) that xfce seems to be the fastest WM, so 'll probably use that one.[/QUOTE]
[/QUOTE]

xfce isn't the fastest WM, but I get things done quicker in xfce compared to other WMs. Probably cause I'm running xfce on my desktop as well. The poll is flawed indeed, I think nothing is as fast as WindowMaker.

[quote]
[quote]Does it have significant drawbacks in usability or so?
[/quote]
[/quote]

I never loose my panel. I think the matchbox battery applet running in the systray causes this problem. Since I stopped using it, I don't loose my panel any longer.

[quote]
[quote]What about the PDA-specific things like charging / battery indicator, card eject applet, screensaver / suspend disabler applet etc., is it all available in xfce similar to matchbox?
[/quote]
You can run all the matchbox applets and they'll appear on the system tray. The nice thing about icewm as opposed to xfce is that several of the applets are already builtin (network monitor, clock, power/battery indicator) so you don't need to run the matchbox equivalent.
[/quote]

Same (and even more) for xfce.

[quote]
[quote]I have tried to start midnight commander: The "graphics" (i.e. borders) are messed up, even with option -a. Is there a way to make it appear correctly?
[/quote]
Are you running mc under xterm? I had the same problem when upgrading from beta1 to beta3. Using mrxvt instead of xterm solved that problem.
[/quote]

"Terminal" does the job just fine.

[quote]
[quote]Which other file manager can you recommend?
[/quote]
[/quote]

"Thunar" is my favourite, "xfe" also does a nice job.

[quote]
[quote]Last question for now: biggrin.gif
[/quote]
[/quote]

Have a look in /usr/apps

(I'm the packager of more than one wink.gif )

(why does this preview look so ugly)

Have fun,
Chero.
ZDevil
QUOTE(Chero @ Aug 9 2006, 06:27 PM)
Hi,

I don't want to start a discussion on the best/fastest/... WM, but some of the answers I read here are not completely correct. I think it's up to the user to decide what he likes most, even if this means giving up some speed/recources.

xfce isn't the fastest WM, but I get things done quicker in xfce compared to other WMs. Probably cause I'm running xfce on my desktop as well. The poll is flawed indeed, I think nothing is as fast as WindowMaker.

Have a look in /usr/apps

(I'm the packager of more than one wink.gif )

(why does this preview look so ugly)

Have fun,
Chero.

WindowMaker runs really fast on Zaurus, compared to other wms (but things seem to differ for Desktops, according to some benchmarking such as this http://www.rasterman.com/index.php?page=News )
Yet Chero has worked a lot on Xfce. I tried that and found it a cool and fun wm.
So choosing which wm for me is just a matter of personal preference. wink.gif

So does it work to move the icons into /usr/apps and change the desktop files accordingly? rolleyes.gif

The BB codes (esp.
run astray after editing quotes or adding quote codes in my case. tongue.gif
daniel3000
QUOTE(daniel3000 @ Aug 9 2006, 04:45 PM)
CODE

Replying to myself:
This has a funny effect:
All icons are doubled now.
So it seems my matchbox looks in both directories for icons!

...deleting the link again.

daniel
daniel3000
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Aug 9 2006, 06:18 PM)
I wonder if it is the font problem. Specifying the right font seem to fix the problem.

Could be.
If I start mrxvt fom an rxvt, I see the error message:
CODE
mrxvt: Cannot open font "Bitstream Vera Sans Mono". Using font "Courier new" instead.

hm - can I install additional fonts (the missing one for example)?
What font would work better, which is installed on a default pdaxrom system?

I simply use Rox desktop and drag the icons to the workspace and assign shortcut keys using iceked (one of the icewm configuration tools).  smile.gif

Yes, I see, I will have to use icewm and rox. Will try that later! :-]

Would this case have to do with (additional) power requirement to startup/wakeup USB stuff? I don't have issue with USB sticks, mouse and keyboard. I haven't tried USB BT, though.

Could be. I'll test if it also happens if only one of the devices is connected, without a hub.
--> Results:
If I connect only the mouse, this does NOT happen. Mouse comes up nicely after poweron.
If I connect only the BT stick, that stick does NOT come up after poweron. I have to dis- and reconnect it.
BUT: If I only dis- and reconnect the stick from the USB host adapter cable, nothing happens. I have to remove the host adapter cale from the Z and reconnect that in order to make the BT stick usable again!
I didn't know that this makes a difference, but indeed: dmesg shows that the host adapter cable is recognized seperately, and USB host drivers only seem to be loaded if this adapter is connected.
Is there a way of reinitializing this USB-host stuff on poweron? That would certainly solve my problem.
And if I really do what I have in mind (building that BT stick INTO the Zaurus) I'll have to have a software solution anyway.
Ideas?

Thanks!
daniel
daniel3000
QUOTE(Chero @ Aug 9 2006, 06:27 PM)
[b]Have a look in /usr/apps

erm - sorry - but now I'm confused.
I saw the .desktop files in /usr/share/applications.
But in /usr/apps there are xml files AND finally I see that folder structure which matchbox shows on the desktop / in the menu.
However, I have created a new .desktop file in /usr/share/applications and the icon appeared on the next startup (in the correct Tab "Other").

So how are these two directories related?
And how does matchbox know where to put the icon described in the destop file, although the file structure of /usr/share/applications is totally flat (no directories)?

thanks
daniel
daniel3000
One more issue:
From time to time, during setting up pdaxrom, I make NAND backups in order to have "good" images.

After doing a NAND backup, the time and date are screwed up (just now time jumped back about 11 hours and 50 minutes, date is intact).

Any idea if this is a sign for a serious problem?
Any way to avoid that?

thanks
daniel
ZDevil
[quote=daniel3000,Aug 9 2006, 07:02 PM]
[QUOTE][quote=ZDevil,Aug 9 2006, 06:18 PM]I wonder if it is the font problem. Specifying the right font seem to fix the problem.
[/quote]

Could be.
If I start mrxvt fom an rxvt, I see the error message:
CODE
mrxvt: Cannot open font "Bitstream Vera Sans Mono". Using font "Courier new" instead.

hm - can I install additional fonts (the missing one for example)?
What font would work better, which is installed on a default pdaxrom system?[/QUOTE]

You may want to try out the ttf-bit-stream-vera package from the feed. These fonts look good!

[QUOTE][quote]I simply use Rox desktop and drag the icons to the workspace and assign shortcut keys using iceked (one of the icewm configuration tools).  smile.gif
[/quote]

Yes, I see, I will have to use icewm and rox. Will try that later! :-]
[/QUOTE]

So to simplify (or further complicate? tongue.gif ) things, there are four ways to launch apps with my setup of icewm + rox:
1) From the launch menu
2) From Rox desktop (simply drag and drop)
3) From assigned shortcut keys (with igorekk's iceked package)
4) From terminals

You can also customize the icons in Rox desktop by: right (or Fn key) click > "Edit item" > keyboard shortcut.
Icons can be changed easily by: right (or Fn key) click > File 'xyz' > "Set Icon" > drag any icon you like to the box

A quick and dirty side dish: it seems after switching to icewm, the original brightness key combo Fn-3 (setfl +) and Fn-4 (setfl -) seem not functional. As a remedy I wrote to a dummy script for the two commands and throw it to the bin directory, and then used iceked to assign combo keys (Ctrl-Alt-O and Ctrl-Alt-P in my case) for the commands. Yet I am sure the experts here must have better solutions to this.
tongue.gif

[quote=daniel3000,Aug 9 2006, 07:13 PM]
[quote=Chero,Aug 9 2006, 06:27 PM]
Have a look in /usr/apps

[/quote]

erm - sorry - but now I'm confused.
I saw the .desktop files in /usr/share/applications.
But in /usr/apps there are xml files AND finally I see that folder structure which matchbox shows on the desktop / in the menu.
However, I have created a new .desktop file in /usr/share/applications and the icon appeared on the next startup (in the correct Tab "Other").

So how are these two directories related?
And how does matchbox know where to put the icon described in the destop file, although the file structure of /usr/share/applications is totally flat (no directories)?

[/quote]

And it seems matchbox simply doesn't read into /usr/local/share/applications , where the desktop files of many contrib packages live. Correct me if I am wrong (i wish i am). tongue.gif

Oops. The quotations run amok again ...
Sna
Hello,
I've the brightness problem but in beta3 in matchbox on a fresh install
Fn+1, Fn+2, Fn+3, Fn+4 Doesn't work
Is it normal on a 3100, or is it a bad flash?

Thanks in advance

Sna
InSearchOf

Nope... I dont think they are mapped...
Sna
and you know how can i map them? smile.gif
daniel3000
QUOTE(InSearchOf @ Aug 10 2006, 02:52 PM)

Nope... I dont think they are mapped...

You can remap them if you put the server option "-kb" into the startx script.
Described here:

http://www.thesounddesign.com/zaurus/beta3.htm

This works very well.

(finally I could help somebody else, after having received so much help from you! biggrin.gif )

daniel
Sna
Nice, thanks a lot
Nice site too, i'll read that smile.gif
daniel3000
Next pdaxrom problem:
I tried to set up an onboard development system using the zgcc-3.4.5-4.squashfs image downloaded from Meanie's feed, but when I try to mount the image I get an error:
CODE
mkdir ~/devel
mount -o loop -t squashfs /path/to/zgcc-3.4.5-4.squashfs ~/devel
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/loop0,
         mmissing codepage, or too many mounted file systems

However, I cannot see one of these problems to be true.

On http://www.pumb.org/redirect.php?tid=18197&goto=lastpost I read a dialog between dinorex and someone else about that squashfs file being potentionally corrupt and that dinorex provided another copy of this file on another feed (momming's feed).
Where can I find that feed / file?
Or can there be any other problem than a corrupt file?
On Meanie's feed http://zaurus.daemons.gr/menaie/pdaxrom/ this file is 15MB in size, here it is, too. However, on the screenshot at above forum URL it is much larger...

Thanks
daniel
InSearchOf
Have you tried to do it using the full /blah/blah/devel...

but /etc/profile already has a place (in PATH) to mount that too... which is

/opt/native/arm/3.4.6-xscale-softvfp/

and also what is the difference between the zgcc.img Meanie provides and the one built by sash? More tools?

Late
daniel3000
QUOTE(InSearchOf @ Aug 10 2006, 07:25 PM)
Have you tried to do it using the full /blah/blah/devel...

but /etc/profile already has a place (in PATH) to mount that too... which is

/opt/native/arm/3.4.6-xscale-softvfp/

and also what is the difference between the zgcc.img Meanie provides and the one built by sash? More tools?

Interesting question.
Well, I have downloaded the larger zgcc image dinorex mentioned from http://apache.2ndmag.com/~zaurus/. This one can be mounted flawlessly.
But now, what do I do with the mounted image? Is there somewhere a development howto? I have used the devel-image by Silvio Iaccarino under Cacko, that one had a shell script which prepared everything for development (set paths etc.), but I cannot find something like that in this image.

Any help appreciated unsure.gif

daniel
adf
are you sure meanie's is the right version of gcc? He spent a lot of time making a compatable (2.95) compiler squashfs image that ended up in pdaXqtrom. I have checked the one you mention.. just thought I'd mention it.
daniel3000
QUOTE(adf @ Aug 10 2006, 10:49 PM)
are you sure meanie's is the right version of gcc?  He spent a lot of time making a compatable (2.95) compiler squashfs image that ended up in pdaXqtrom.  I have checked the one you mention.. just thought I'd mention it.

Well, not sure.
I have now found a zgcc-2.4.6.img. /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit should mount that if present in /home/root.
However, I found teh img file in http://mail.pdaxrom.org/download/1.1.0beta...us-7x0-860/new/, not in a beta3 directory. So I'm unsure if this is the correct developer image.

And well - on bootup it is not mounted, as it should be by the rc.sysinit script.
However, if I execute the sysinit script manually after a restart the image IS mounted. strange... I'll have to investigate further.

Anyone knows at least if this is the correct image, although it's located in a beta4 directory?

thanks
daniel
daniel3000
QUOTE(daniel3000 @ Aug 10 2006, 11:31 PM)
And well - on bootup it is not mounted, as it should be by the rc.sysinit script.
However, if I execute the sysinit script manually after a restart the image IS mounted. strange... I'll have to investigate further.

found out why it isn't mounted on bootup:
I didn't put the actual file into /home/root but only a link. The file is on the HDD.
BUT: CF services are started after sysinit, so the HDD is not available at this time.
Will have to modify things a bit in order to make this work.
But not today anymore.
See you
daniel
ZDevil
are you sure meanie's is the right version of gcc?  He spent a lot of time making a compatable (2.95) compiler squashfs image that ended up in pdaXqtrom.  I have checked the one you mention.. just thought I'd mention it.

Well, not sure.
I have now found a zgcc-2.4.6.img. /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit should mount that if present in /home/root.
However, I found teh img file in http://mail.pdaxrom.org/download/1.1.0beta...us-7x0-860/new/, not in a beta3 directory. So I'm unsure if this is the correct developer image.

Anyone knows at least if this is the correct image, although it's located in a beta4 directory?

thanks
daniel

Both the 3.4.6 version from the feed and Meanie's 3.4.5 version work. But you are right. Meanie's zgcc image in his feed seems to be corrupt. I downloaded it many times and got the same problem as yours. Then dinorex kindly uploaded his backup copy to me and that one works.

I've put a copy here for the time being, hopefully Meanie will look into that:
http://rapidshare.de/files/28943215/zgcc-3.4.5-4.sfs.html

Meanie's version has some extra stuff (moc, uic, and some libs) for compiling QT apps. Thanks again, Meanie!! smile.gif

As for the location of 3.4.6, I ran into a similar (and funny) case here: http://www.oesf.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=20741

It is very easy to get started with compilation. Most programs follow the common "./configure;make;make install" procedure.
I always look up the docs in the source plus "./configure --help" for specific settings.
And I am used to creating an ipk/data directory under the source directory and use "make DESTDIR=/source/path/ipk/data install" in order to test and to package my own ipk.

Chero has written an excellent tutorial which you may feel interested wink.gif : http://users.telenet.be/zaurususer/Chero/compiling/

So far all the apps I compiled are done purely with the native SDK, despite that I am just a linux and scripting dummy. Without doubt, you can make much more out of it. smile.gif
Meanie
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Aug 11 2006, 08:20 AM)

Well, not sure.

thanks
daniel

Both the 3.4.6 version from the feed and Meanie's 3.4.5 version work. But you are right. Meanie's zgcc image in his feed seems to be corrupt. I downloaded it many times and got the same problem as yours. Then dinorex kindly uploaded his backup copy to me and that one works.

Meanie's version has some extra stuff (moc, uic, and some libs) for compiling QT apps. Thanks again, Meanie!! smile.gif

As for the location of 3.4.6, I ran into a similar (and funny) case here: http://www.oesf.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=20741

It is very easy to get started with compilation. Most programs follow the common "./configure;make;make install" procedure.
I always look up the docs in the source plus "./configure --help" for specific settings.
And I am used to creating an ipk/data directory under the source directory and use "make DESTDIR=/source/path/ipk/data install" in order to test and to package my own ipk.

Chero has written an excellent tutorial which you may feel interested wink.gif : http://users.telenet.be/zaurususer/Chero/compiling/

So far all the apps I compiled are done purely with the native SDK, despite that I am just a linux and scripting dummy. Without doubt, you can make much more out of it. smile.gif

I'll re-upload the file when I get some time.
daniel3000
[quote=ZDevil,Aug 11 2006, 12:20 AM]
[quote=daniel3000,Aug 10 2006, 11:31 PM][quote=adf,Aug 10 2006, 10:49 PM]are you sure meanie's is the right version of gcc?  He spent a lot of time making a compatable (2.95) compiler squashfs image that ended up in pdaXqtrom.  I have checked the one you mention.. just thought I'd mention it.

[/quote]

Thanks for the info.
If I use Meanie's image, should I mount it into the same place as the 3.4.6.img and use it the same way?
I'd really like to be able to compile QT programs as well.

Now I have to fiddle around with the rc.d scripts in order to be able to mount the image at bootup: when rc.sysinit wants to mount the image, ide3, where the image is located and linked to /home/root, is not yet available :-)

daniel

edit: ah, finally I have also a messed-up quoting cool.gif
ZDevil
QUOTE(daniel3000 @ Aug 11 2006, 09:39 AM)
Thanks for the info.
If I use Meanie's image, should I mount it into the same place as the 3.4.6.img and use it the same way?
I'd really like to be able to compile QT programs as well.

Now I have to fiddle around with the rc.d scripts in order to be able to mount the image at bootup: when rc.sysinit wants to mount the image, ide3, where the image is located and linked to /home/root, is not yet available :-)

Yes, just mount Meanie's zgcc in the same way as 3.4.6. The only thing you gotta change is to update the gcc version number in four lines in /etc/profile (e.g. 3.4.6 --> 3.4.5-4). Then source /etc/profile or restart X and you are ready to go. smile.gif

I also tried a bit before to get zgcc automount but failed. So I simply use a simple script to mount and umount. (Note:unmount takes two steps, first "umount /opt/native/arm/..." and second "losetup -d loop0" (usually loop0 if no other loop devices are mounted).
daniel3000
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Aug 9 2006, 08:31 PM)
You may want to try out the ttf-bit-stream-vera package from the feed. These fonts look good!

I have installed that package now.
mrxvt seems to use a font from that package (it is configured to use Bitstream vera Sans Mono).
the font indeed looks nice, but mc and mc -a still show a messed up layout in mrxvt using this font.

Well, it's not THAT important for me, but it would be nice to have a well-operable mc.

Any ideas?

thanks
daniel
daniel3000
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Aug 11 2006, 10:06 AM)
Yes, just mount Meanie's zgcc in the same way as 3.4.6. The only thing you gotta change is to update the gcc version number in four lines in /etc/profile (e.g. 3.4.6 --> 3.4.5-4). Then source /etc/profile or restart X and you are ready to go.  smile.gif

Well, if I don't change the mountpoint, i.e. path, I also don't have to change /etc/profile, because there only the path is used for several things.
Or does the path name somehow tell some binaries which compiler version it is, so I HAVE to change it to the actual version?
For now I have left it as it is and at least mounting and a ./configure work well (I haven't tested more yet).

I also tried a bit before to get zgcc automount but failed. So I simply use a simple script to mount and umount.  (Note:unmount takes two steps, first "umount /opt/native/arm/..." and second "losetup -d loop0" (usually loop0 if no other loop devices are mounted).

I have now set up the new image for auto-mounting at bootup, works well.
These are the steps I went in order to make this work (from my diary-style setup notes):

CODE
Development stuff based on zgcc-3.4.5-4.squashfs (actually zgcc-3.4.6.img but 3.4.5-4 has more features, by Meanie)
grep zgcc /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit
--> shows where the img has to go and where it will be mounted on reboot.
mv zgcc-3.4.5-4.squashfs zgcc-3.4.5-4.sfs
cp zgcc-3.4.5-4.sfs /mnt/ide3
ln -s /mnt/ide3/zgcc-3.4.5-4.sfs /home/root/
From /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit cut section if..fi which mounts zgcc and paste it into the new file
/etc/rc.d/init.d/mount_devel
Add as the first line of mount_devel: #!/bin/sh
Search and replace in mount_devel:
zgcc-3.4.6.img --> zgcc-3.4.5-4.sfs
add the option "-t squashfs" to the mount command
chmod +x /etc/rc.d/init.d/mount_devel
ln -s /etc/rc.d/init.d/mount_devel /etc/rc.d/rc5.d/S99mount_devel
ln -s /etc/rc.d/init.d/mount_devel /etc/rc.d/rc4.d/S99mount_devel
ln -s /etc/rc.d/init.d/mount_devel /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S99mount_devel
ln -s /etc/rc.d/init.d/mount_devel /etc/rc.d/rc2.d/S99mount_devel
ln -s /etc/rc.d/init.d/mount_devel /etc/rc.d/rc1.d/S99mount_devel
reboot
--> devel image is mounted on bootup and all developer tools are available.
daniel3000
QUOTE(daniel3000 @ Aug 11 2006, 02:56 PM)
Well, if I don't change the mountpoint, i.e. path, I also don't have to change /etc/profile, because there only the path is used for several things.
Or does the path name somehow tell some binaries which compiler version it is, so I HAVE to change it to the actual version?
For now I have left it as it is and at least mounting and a ./configure work well (I haven't tested more yet).

Not true what I wrote.
Indeed the mountpoint AND the paths in /etc/profile have to be changed from ...3.4.6... to ...3.4.5... (not ...3.4.5-4...!)

Something in the development system seems to look for includes only in the path reflecting the gcc version, which is 3.4.5 in this case. I had lots of compile errors with the wrong directory name.

Thanks for the hint!
daniel
daniel3000
QUOTE(desertrat @ Aug 8 2006, 04:25 PM)
I made a little script to fix the date:
CODE
/etc/rc.d/init.d/atd stop
sleep 3
rm -rf /etc/localtime
ntpdate pool.ntp.org
hwclock --systohc
hwclock --utc
ln -sf /usr/share/zoneinfo/SOME/ZONENAME /etc/localtime
/etc/rc.d/init.d/atd start

I run it now and again when I'm on a network.

I just wanted to implement something similar.
However, one question:

I don't have the directory /usr/share/zoneinfo and no /etc/localtime.
What is the purpose of these and how do I get them?

thanks
daniel
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.