Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Debian - Apt-get Help
OESF Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Distro Support and Discussion > pdaXrom
VirtusRex
Hello all,

Well after reading some of the guides here, I've finally got debian running in pdaxrom.
My problem now is I can't seem to download any packages using apt-get.

I tried to download the package bittorrent using the follow command: "apt-get install bittorrent", but I keep getting can't fetch errors. I've attached a screenshot of my error read out, and any advice on how to use apt-get would be really helpful.

thanks,

Virturex
Cresho
your not alone. I had the same problems but i was only demoing the pdaxrom. Some will come along and help. You havent done anything wrong. smile.gif
desertrat
QUOTE(VirtusRex @ Sep 24 2006, 04:31 AM)
I tried to download the package bittorrent using the follow command: "apt-get install bittorrent", but I keep getting can't fetch errors. I've attached a screenshot of my error read out

As your screenshots clearly states: there's a 404 (file not found error):

- Try downloading the file manually from another machine (to rule out misconfiguration/connectivity problems on the Z)
- Try using a different server
- Try doing what your screenshot suggests (right at the bottom)
- Or try again later (might be a transient problem)

and any advice on how to use apt-get would be really helpful.

Try the debian site, they have copious documentation (but a lot of it is outdated laugh.gif ).
zi99y
I think I had this problem when I setup pocketworkstation, either way I changed the repository to the one I usually use on my server- there are a bunch to choose from depending on the closest to you. Edit /etc/apt/sources.list and change where necessary, mine looks like this:

CODE
deb ftp://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian testing main
deb-src ftp://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian testing main

You might want to replace "testing" for "stable" as it tends to upgrade a lot of stuff this way, but I think pocketworkstation is supposed to be set at testing anyway.

Don't forget to do an apt-get update before you try to install anything.

Hope this helps
VirtusRex
QUOTE(zi99y @ Sep 24 2006, 03:48 AM)
I think I had this problem when I setup pocketworkstation, either way I changed the repository to the one I usually use on my server- there are a bunch to choose from depending on the closest to you. Edit /etc/apt/sources.list and change where necessary, mine looks like this:

CODE
deb ftp://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian testing main
deb-src ftp://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian testing main

You might want to replace "testing" for "stable" as it tends to upgrade a lot of stuff this way, but I think pocketworkstation is supposed to be set at testing anyway.

Don't forget to do an apt-get update before you try to install anything.

Hope this helps

ououcc
Hey zi99y, tried using the servers you listed above and it work!. Guess I wasn'using valid servers or something.

Thank you all the help,

VirtusRex
xjqian
because the debian repository has grown too large. Their main servers stopped hosting packages for the less common arch, such as arm. That's about half a year ago.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.