Hello. Where is everyone? I havn't seen many posts this month at all. I'm hoping there is still quite a few Zaurus owners still around here.
I ordered a C1000 Zaurus from Conics.net (Thanks Brett!) on Sunday. It will be converted to English. It's now on its way to the US. Anyone know how long it takes once its dispatched to US and shows up on the USPS tracking, to arrive at my post office? We don't have home delivery here since we live in a small town, we have to pick up our mail at post office. I'd really like to know if I have any hope of getting it by Saturday? I also noticed the EMS will delivery on holidays and weekends, but what happens when the post office is closed on those days?
I chose the C1000, because it fit into my price range (savings) and I like the idea of no HD. Since I don't have to worry about dropping it and the HD not working etc. I may be using this while riding horses, so Flash is important.
I've not had any experience with linux before (or anything similiar). This is my first linux device. I only have experience with Windows. Our main computer is a HP Laptop. I mainly picked the Zaurus for its keyboard and clamshell type. I need something with PIM functions and to use for Photos, games, and Database. Will eventually get a 56K modem for e-mail/internet. We have dial-up internet.
Here are questions I have (bare with me as I know nothing about linux):
1. What color is the C1000 exactly? I've seen many pictures but the documentation I've read online says its black? but, I thought the 3100 was black?
2. I've been reading that Cacko ROM is a very good English ROM. Is this a good one for someone who is new to linux? Will the main screen with icons be the same if I change ROM's? About switching, I found the instructions on the main page under the release of the Cacko ROM. If I add contact, calendar info and then switch to Cacko, will I lose that info or will it get transferred? Also, how do I do a backup? Can I backup to my laptop PC? or to a SD card? I plan on buying a 512mb or 1GB SD card soon after purchase. I can't seem to find info on backing up the Zaurus, is there good instructions online?
3. I won't be programming or doing anything major with the linux itself. But, what info do I need to know about linux to get started?
4. What brands and type of SD cards work with the C1000? I read that its not supposed to be fast speed. But, how does one know if high speed etc? I've heard there is a patch one can use to allow the C1000 to use bigger SD cards then 1GB. Is this patch safe and easy to install?
5. About installing programs. How hard or easy is it to install programs? Will a icon for the programs be on the main boot screen after installing?
6. Which 56K modem is cheapest and works the best with the C1000?
7. Is there a website that shows the newest programs for Zaurus? I would like to add tkcAddressbook. Anyone have this program? Would love to add DOOM, Heretic etc, how easy is it? How is the default database program on the Zaurus? Is there a better one? I also want to add the xfishtank screensaver. Anyone have this? install
8. How easy is it to add mp3's in wma format? I've got itunes and am slowly switching to Windows media Player. I can't seem to get the song info to transfer... ?? I'm still thinking of buying a Samsung K5 to use for just mp3s, but it would be nice to have one device for PDA/mp3 etc. If it works well for that purpose.
9. Plan to change background image. Is it easy to use a photo located on the Zaurus as background? And what size pics can I add to Zaurus that will work as background?
10. Which site has the best selections of Zaurus accessories?
11. Books on Linux. I went to B&N bookstore and they had quite a bit of books on linux. All foreign material to me... So, any recommendations? for a newbie? I need something I can take with me on the road for reading.
I plan on adding questions as I think of them.... bare with me