Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: (zpsx) Psx4zaurus Public Beta 4 Released
OESF Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Distro Support and Discussion > pdaXrom
Pages: 1, 2, 3
zodttd
Hi everyone,

psx4zaurus, also known as ZPSX, has a new version out for pdaXrom users.
For more information, head to:
http://www.psx4all.net

Be sure to post a comment in the news thread after downloading.

If you need assistance with psx4zaurus, let me know in the PSX4ALL Zaurus topic.

Thanks! smile.gif
anunakin
Nice work, man! wink.gif

Thank you! laugh.gif
Darth_Sith
WOW!!!

I'm sad becouse I have to wait monday before I can back home and take my psx game... sad.gif
desertrat
I've been trying to download this, but the forums on www.dcemu.co.uk requires registration, so I registered and hours later I still haven't received the confirmation email. I was wondering whether anybody has downloaded it and could upload it to this forum? - if zodttd doesn't mind smile.gif
danboid
Great news- can't wait to try this! I'm waiting for a cacko version or SRAM support in the OZ kernel + an OZ compile first though.

I've been reading the reports of people trying out this new beta on the GP2X, normally at 266Mhz, and most games seem to be running around 10fps so it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect double that (and more) on an OC'd cxxxx Z.

Zodttd: How much faster do you think you can make psx4all? Do you think theres a chance of 30fps under 3D games (without sound?) on the GP2X?
merli
QUOTE(desertrat @ Oct 5 2006, 11:35 AM)
I've been trying to download this, but the forums on www.dcemu.co.uk requires registration, so I registered and hours later I still haven't received the confirmation email. I was wondering whether anybody has downloaded it and could upload it to this forum? - if zodttd doesn't mind smile.gif

You don't need registration e-mail. Just log-in :-)
I am putting psx here for you to download if zottd dont mind
diedwater
OMG! this is amazing, FF7 runs very nice! a lil slow, but very playable, man, this makes me wanting to go back and beat all those classic RPGs again...I think we should all get together, and make a compatbility list.
merli
QUOTE(diedwater @ Oct 5 2006, 03:54 PM)
OMG! this is amazing, FF7 runs very nice! a lil slow, but very playable, man, this makes me wanting to go back and beat all those classic RPGs again...I think we should all get together, and make a compatbility list.

I tried Kula World ... does not work ... Game loaded succesfully then frozen. Will try FF7 when I get home
Darth_Sith
Zod you have made a great work!
I tried re2 and it's run very well (in many situation it's full speed).
Then I try gt, it runs, but gt is an extreme 3d game, so it run too slow, but see it on Z is very beautyful.
zi99y
Very nice indeed, it's really amazing seeing this stuff running on the Z. So far I've tried Wipeout 2097, Castlevania, and Oddworld, unfortunately none work at a real playable speed, and there are some emulation glitches but nonetheless, very nice.

I notice in this thread you mention installing an sdl bvdd ipk, but I've not been able to find one for pdaxrom, maybe this is only for qtopia, but if there is such a thing that could accellerate psx4all on the CX000 series, would be nice to know.

Just a suggestion but how about including some frameskipping mode (if there isn't already) to maybe speed up the emulation at the cost of looks, I see no evidence of such a mode in the menu.

Great work, I hope life goes on with this project smile.gif
zodttd
FF7, Wipeout XL, and others *can* run full speed. But I had to do the following to get it there:
- I test on a Zaurus C1000 running at 624MHz and pdaXrom Beta 3 (2.4 kernel) with SDL 1.2.9 (bvdd enhanced)
1. Get and install the bvdd enhanced "SDL 1.2.9 armv5tel" ipkg at http://zaurus.vivaphp.net/pdaxrom/misc
2. Go into X11 by running "startx" and overclock as needed.
3. Exit X11 to the console and run ./psx4all

By doing this, you have full screen accelerated SDL graphics. The overclocking to 624MHz helped a lot too of course. My C1000 handles it well though.
merli
QUOTE(zodttd @ Oct 6 2006, 02:24 AM)
FF7, Wipeout XL, and others *can* run full speed. But I had to do the following to get it there:
- I test on a Zaurus C1000 running at 624MHz and pdaXrom Beta 3 (2.4 kernel) with SDL 1.2.9 (bvdd enhanced)
1. Get and install the bvdd enhanced "SDL 1.2.9 armv5tel" ipkg at http://zaurus.vivaphp.net/pdaxrom/misc
2. Go into X11 by running "startx" and overclock as needed.
3. Exit X11 to the console and run ./psx4all

By doing this, you have full screen accelerated SDL graphics. The overclocking to 624MHz helped a lot too of course. My C1000 handles it well though.

There is no SDL 1.2.9 on that site http://zaurus.vivaphp.net/pdaxrom/misc. Or at least I don't see it there.:-) There is only SDL-mixer with ogg support (compiled by me I think). Please attach this SDL_1.2.9 ipk to this thread. It will help ppl to run psx4zaurus.

Great work zottd anyway!!! FF7 runs OK but sometimes slow when walking, without overclocking and bvdd SDL lib. Can you find out why Kula World (great logical game) does not work? I can send you .ZNX iso if you don't have this game.

Thnx.
Darth_Sith
SDL1.2.9: http://mail.pdaxrom.org/download/1.1.0beta...000-C3100/feed/
Search in the feed next time...
And istall it on / or it doesn't work.
zi99y
QUOTE(Darth_Sith @ Oct 6 2006, 10:11 AM)

where's my handbag biggrin.gif

Actually I'm already using that SDL ipk, I questioned it because it says nothing of BVDD, are we to assume that 1.2.9 is the BVDD enhanced version?
merli
QUOTE(Darth_Sith @ Oct 6 2006, 11:11 AM)
SDL1.2.9: http://mail.pdaxrom.org/download/1.1.0beta...000-C3100/feed/
And istall it on / or it doesn't work.

I doubt that SDL in feed is compiled with bvdd funkcionality. I have this one installed on my Z. I just want to compare with zottd's.
Darth_Sith
With that sdl I have fullscreen if I exit from X.
merli
QUOTE(Darth_Sith @ Oct 6 2006, 12:44 PM)
With that sdl I have fullscreen if I exit from X.

Me too ... maybe it is same SDL as zottd is using :-)
zodttd
Oh wow. I feel stupid...
I've been using sdl_1.2.9_armv5tel.ipk for testing.
This SDL package in fact does NOT use BVDD.

I figured out where the confusion came from. I was told when first getting the Zaurus that this package used bvdd. Shortly after I actually figured out how to use the SRAM by using the bvdd kernel module directly in psx4all and bypassing SDL. It went as fast as what I had THOUGHT was SDL 1.2.9 using bvdd (which it infact does not). So I figured my implementation of BVDD was as fast as the SDL's, so I just went back to using SDL.

So what we have here is a mess of confusion. I'm going to sort out whether bvdd even helps performance by using that SRAM.

The good news from all this is, it will make me less afraid of trying different distro's for builds of psx4all. Knowing I don't need to depend on certain kernel modules and such is a great relief.

I do know that I found that using sdl_1.2.9_armv5tel.ipk and pdaXrom Beta 3 in console mode runs things the fastest though. Whatever is in that package for FBCON's mode, runs great. smile.gif

Anyone know of a link to OZ's latest toolchain?
diedwater
well...i thought pdaxrom came with BVDD...i m not sure tho
InSearchOf
About how long does it take for a game to load? I have it sitting at

Loading Game

Load Sucess

for about 5-7 min.. and no movement... it is Crash Bandicott 2...

Late
zodttd
I think that game was reported to not work on the GP2X version of psx4all. Most likely it's not compatible yet. I'll look into it. smile.gif
InSearchOf
good business... I will try another... So the freezing at Load Sucess is how you determine incompatibility?

Late
rmrfchik
Is there way to rip CD from linux?
danboid
Zodttd:

So now you believe that accessing the SRAM may well be 'not dependant on kernel modules'? So do you think you may now be able to get BVDD-esque performance under the latest OZ kernel (the one with QVGA support)?

rmrfchik:

cdrdao read-cd --read-raw --datafile gamename.bin --device /dev/hdc gamename.toc

of course you need to replace /dev/hdc with whatever device the game disc is in

Is this command not included in the zpsx docs? I darn well think it should be! wink.gif
koen
QUOTE(danboid @ Oct 7 2006, 10:44 AM)
Zodttd:

So now you believe that accessing the SRAM may well be 'not dependant on kernel modules'? So do you think you may now be able to get BVDD-esque performance under the latest OZ kernel (the one with QVGA support)?

There is no setup needed in kernel 2.6, if you have the sram patch applied.
danboid
SRAM patch?

Is the SRAM patch in that test kernel that hrw posted recently or is it even newer? If its newer, where can we download an SRAM patched kernel or the patch?

EDIT

Yes there is an SRAM patch but apparently it isn't working with the new pxafb system yet according to RP. It is being worked on.

According to RP, once the SRAM patch is done X and SDL will be accelerated, no patching required. The clamshell Z can only do 320x240 or 640x480

Could somebody please post a video of their Z running zpsx? It would be best to pick a visually impressive game such as Strider 2, GT 2, Einhander, R-Type Delta or Crash Bandicoot 2.
desertrat
QUOTE(danboid @ Oct 7 2006, 12:40 PM)
Could somebody please post a video of their Z running zpsx? It would be best to pick a visually impressive game such as Strider 2, GT 2, Einhander, R-Type Delta or Crash Bandicoot 2.

The link to the announcement in the first post links to a forum where this is discussed and there are links there to videos on youtube.
desertrat
QUOTE(merli @ Oct 5 2006, 10:27 AM)
You don't need registration e-mail. Just log-in :-)

That's just as well because a couple of days later I still haven't received that email smile.gif

I am putting psx here for you to download if zottd dont mind

Thanks!
danboid
I've seen a few GP2X vids of the emu but none running on a Z and it has to be beta4. Someone with a cxxxx running zpsx needs to make some vids of it in action
stuffman
Great work as usual Zodttd!

Not quite as fast as I was hoping, but definately a few fps faster on my C860 and ever closer to realtime FF7 and FF8! I've had quite a few segfaults (with SDL parachute) errors, and the menu seems to double keypresses quite frequently, but otherwise another great build.

With all this discussion of SDL versions, which should I be running on my 860?
merli
QUOTE(zodttd @ Oct 6 2006, 10:46 PM)
I think that game was reported to not work on the GP2X version of psx4all. Most likely it's not compatible yet. I'll look into it. smile.gif

Hello, can you find out also what's wrong with Kula World (I love this logical game it is playable on windows with epsxe... Same ... Game loaded then freeze.
Is there any possibility to run FF7 at fullspeed without overclocking? Overclocking eats your battery very fast.
With overclocking FF7 is playable fullspeed also with sound! (only sometimes SDL parashute sad.gif) but I can live with it. It is only beta and it's great! I am looking forward for normal release .... for state saving and maybe improoved speed and compatibility. I will try tomb raider soon.
neo_com_3
Hi there...

I am not into games that much, but I would like to try out the emulator. Can someone post a simple came-rom in order to download it and give it a try?
I need something small...

Tnx...
Darth_Sith
Rom are very huge...
Compressed they take about 250-300MB...
neo_com_3
QUOTE(Darth_Sith @ Oct 8 2006, 11:02 PM)
Rom are very huge...

Is there any site that I can get a simple game - I do not want the lattest hot game, just a simple game as small as possible, in order to test the emulator.

I have some PS1 games. Can I convert them? How can I do this?

Tnx...
rmrfchik
QUOTE(neo_com_3 @ Oct 9 2006, 11:39 AM)
Rom are very huge...

Tnx...

Just rip CD to iso. Look for "cdread" in this thread.
Antikx
QUOTE(neo_com_3 @ Oct 9 2006, 02:39 AM)
Rom are very huge...

Is there any site that I can get a simple game - I do not want the lattest hot game, just a simple game as small as possible, in order to test the emulator.

Tnx...

Search (google) for home-brew psx.
Antikx
Rom are very huge...

Tnx...

Are you using Linux? Windows?
If using Linux pease read previous pages in this thread
If using Windows please read previous pages in this thread and the other one.
scoutme
I tried Metal Slug X... it hangs but not always atthe same point. Anyway it hangs next to character selection (a little before, or while showing).
Antikx
I've noticed that when I play games on my Kingston 1Gig SD (ext3) it hangs after a while. If I play off my 1Gig IBM Microdrive (FAT) it plays just fine. Anyone else experience this?
Antikx
QUOTE(scoutme @ Oct 9 2006, 10:18 AM)
I tried Metal Slug X... it hangs but not always atthe same point. Anyway it hangs next to character selection (a little before, or while showing).

Are you playing off SD or CF?
Do other games freeze?
Antikx
Hello,

Great work zodttd! I'm really enjoying playing Diablo in bed on my C1000. smile.gif

I've started making a compat list for psx game on zodttd's psx4zaurus.
Please post your experiences with games here in this OESF thread and I'll update the list:
http://www.tyrannozaurus.com/psx4all-compat-list/

Zodttd... would you mind updating your first post with this link?
danboid
Hi Antix!

Good idea about your compatibility list- you can most likely add Strider 2 to that list as it worked for me under the previous beta but you never know. I must point out you have omitted the first d of the cdrdao command.

I'm very happy to see the return of your updates to tyrannozaurus- great site! Are there no other good Z news sites (apart from oesf and ELSI)?

Soon we'll be able to play zpsx under OZ too!
scoutme
QUOTE(Antikx @ Oct 9 2006, 09:14 AM)
QUOTE(scoutme @ Oct 9 2006, 10:18 AM)

Are you playing off SD or CF?
Do other games freeze?

psx4all on internal flash, rom on fat sd
Antikx
FYI, zodttd:
I just tried Dragon Warrior VII, Disc1.
It gets to the creating a new game part, but after entering a new name the screen changes to the background, the music keeps playing but you can't do anything.
neo_com_3
QUOTE(Antikx @ Oct 9 2006, 03:39 PM)
Rom are very huge...

Tnx...

Hey m8...

That 's not much of help from you... If you have something helpful to say, go ahead...

I tried on line to find home-brew psx on google but without luck. I will try to rip off one of my PS1 CDs as iso...

Can I run a PS1 CD if I connect a CD ROM to my Z? I guess not cause I have to put all my roms under the correct folder...
Antikx
QUOTE(neo_com_3 @ Oct 10 2006, 01:52 AM)

Tnx...

Hey m8...

That 's not much of help from you... If you have something helpful to say, go ahead...

I tried on line to find home-brew psx on google but without luck. I will try to rip off one of my PS1 CDs as iso...

Can I run a PS1 CD if I connect a CD ROM to my Z? I guess not cause I have to put all my roms under the correct folder...

Sorry.. I recalled that the answers you were looking for were in previous threads but I didn't have time to re-read them for you so I thought I would just recommend you read them.
Forums aren't the best at displaying information in an organized way. Maybe we can get zodttd to set up a wiki.

Are you going to use Windows or Linux to rip the psx cd's?
neo_com_3
QUOTE(Antikx @ Oct 10 2006, 04:27 PM)
QUOTE(neo_com_3 @ Oct 10 2006, 01:52 AM)

Tnx...

Hey m8...

Sorry.. I recalled that the answers you were looking for were in previous threads but I didn't have time to re-read them for you so I thought I would just recommend you read them.
Forums aren't the best at displaying information in an organized way. Maybe we can get zodttd to set up a wiki.

Are you going to use Windows or Linux to rip the psx cd's?

I do not have any Linux machine, only my Z. I guess that I have to use XP for this procedure. Can I use nero for this, right?

After I have the iso file, I just place usder the correct folder on my Z?

By the way, tnx for your concern...
zodttd
Nero probably won't work, as I believe the NRG file it makes isn't a "RAW" format BIN/ISO.

For Windows, I'd use a free program called cdrdao. By going to the "XDuplicator" site you'll find a nice Windows frontend for cdrdao plus cdrdao itself. smile.gif

Btw, a new psx4zaurus build is almost ready. It's faster and I'd say more compatible, though compatibility has changed on various games. Valkyrie Profile, for instance, works now.
danboid
Go ZodTTD!

Good to see continued rapid progress on zpsx!

Did you find the cacko toolchain? Are you still going to do a cacko build? You'd get a lot more testers that way but I'm not sure the cacko kernel or its version of SDL (or both) can do QVGA- I've certainly not seen it.

Thanks!

dan
bolbit
Which PdaXrom is needed to run psx4zaurus ? (Beta1, 3, 4, ... )
thanks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.