Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 4gb Microdrive
OESF Forums > General Forums > General Support and Discussion > Accessories
Legodude522
I bought a "dead" iPod Mini 4gb from a friend for $10 and pillaged the MicroDrive. It works fine on my PC with my USB CF card reader. But I can't get the card to work in my Zaurus. It will detect it as anonymous memory sometimes. But it just doesn't read it. I formatted it Fat32 on my PC and worked great with my PC.

How can I get it to mount on my Zaurus. I read a couple of others threads while searching but nothing worked.

Sharp Zaurus SL-C1000. Cacko.
bluedevils
weren't the drives from devices like the ipod disabled from working in a normal cf slot? In the old days people were ripping drive from mp3 players like the Muvo(?) for cheaper prices than retail. The manufacturer put in a protection to stop that. I don't remember instances of people getting any ipod drives working in the Z.
Jon_J
I'm curious, if it works in a CF reader, is it really disabled, (ie IDE only)?
Or you can try this, if your CF reader is an external reader, try plugging it into the USB host on your Z
Or, try it in a camera and see if it works in the camera.
hvontres
QUOTE(Legodude522 @ Oct 6 2006, 01:41 PM)
I bought a "dead" iPod Mini 4gb from a friend for $10 and pillaged the MicroDrive.  It works fine on my PC with my USB CF card reader.  But I can't get the card to work in my Zaurus.  It will detect it as anonymous memory sometimes.  But it just doesn't read it.  I formatted it Fat32 on my PC and worked great with my PC.

How can I get it to mount on my Zaurus.  I read a couple of others threads while searching but nothing worked.

Sharp Zaurus SL-C1000.  Cacko.

I think the hitachi ipod drives are set to ide mode, which I think involves pulling pin 9 on the connector low (according to the official CF spcec). Try getting a copy of the spec and if you feel brave you could try mod the drive.... of course your warrenty will be void smile.gif
InSearchOf
QUOTE(hvontres @ Oct 6 2006, 06:35 PM)
I think the hitachi ipod drives are set to ide mode, which I think involves pulling pin 9 on the connector low (according to the official CF spcec). Try getting a copy of the spec and if you feel brave you could try mod the drive.... of course your warrenty will be void smile.gif

MOD IT... it was void once you took the drive out of the ipod anyway...

Late
Legodude522
QUOTE(Jon_J @ Oct 6 2006, 05:41 PM)
I'm curious, if it works in a CF reader, is it really disabled, (ie IDE only)?
Or you can try this, if your CF reader is an external reader, try plugging it into the USB host on your Z
Or, try it in a camera and see if it works in the camera.
It obviously did work in my USB CF card reader with my PC ;-) I couldn't get the Zaurus to use the USB card reader. Makes me want to use desktop Linux.

Any ideas?

Legodude522
I found this guide but I can't get fdisk to work.
Jon_J
I can use my 4 slot 12 in 1 card reader to use CF cards on my Zaurus, but I'm running Cacko and I think you may need a USB module for it to mount automatically.
My 12 in 1 card reader only shows the CF slot in the filebrowser on my Z.
I think it only mounts the first slot, since the CF slot is the first one.
(It doesn't work with the SD slot, which is the 3rd slot).
I also have a single slot 5 in 1 reader that works in Cacko with SD/MMC cards.
If your'e using Sharp rom, you may need to use the USB modules in the Cacko feed.
I have this installed in Cacko Lite:
usb-storage-modules-2.4.20_1.23--lite-1_arm.ipk
get it here:
http://web.mol.ru/~zaurus/feed/
This doesn't solve the problem of the Zaurus not reading the microdrive directly in the CF slot, but it should work with a card reader hooked up to USB, unless the microdrive pulls more than 3.3 volts.
The Zaurus USB host only works with devices at or under 3.3 volts.
A desktop PC has 5 volts at the USB port.

If any of the above is incorrect, someone else please step in and correct me.
Legodude522
QUOTE(Jon_J @ Oct 7 2006, 09:11 PM)
I can use my 4 slot 12 in 1 card reader to use CF cards on my Zaurus, but I'm running Cacko and I think you may need a USB module for it to mount automatically.
My 12 in 1 card reader only shows the CF slot in the filebrowser on my Z.
I think it only mounts the first slot, since the CF slot is the first one.
(It doesn't work with the SD slot, which is the 3rd slot).
I also have a single slot 5 in 1 reader that works in Cacko with SD/MMC cards.
If your'e using Sharp rom, you may need to use the USB modules in the Cacko feed.
I have this installed in Cacko Lite:
usb-storage-modules-2.4.20_1.23--lite-1_arm.ipk
get it here:
http://web.mol.ru/~zaurus/feed/
This doesn't solve the problem of the Zaurus not reading the microdrive directly in the CF slot, but it should work with a card reader hooked up to USB, unless the microdrive pulls more than 3.3 volts.
The Zaurus USB host only works with devices at or under 3.3 volts.
A desktop PC has 5 volts at the USB port.

If any of the above is incorrect, someone else please step in and correct me.
It did not work in the slot, in the card reader, or in the card reader on a powered USB hub.
Jon_J
try another "known to work" CF card in the reader hooked to your Z.
I have Iomega USB zip drives, that have to be mounted manually using commandline.
I'm thinking if the reader + drive works on a PC, it should work with the Zaurus.
Legodude522
QUOTE(Jon_J @ Oct 7 2006, 10:09 PM)
try another "known to work" CF card in the reader hooked to your Z.
I have Iomega USB zip drives, that have to be mounted manually using commandline.
I'm thinking if the reader + drive works on a PC, it should work with the Zaurus.
I don't have any other CF card reader to use.

Even as su it errored the same way.
Jon_J
What I meant is to try another CF card in the same reader, and see if it mounts.
If it does work, then the Zaurus recognizes your reader.
If it doesn't work, then the Zaurus isn't recognizing your reader
Legodude522
QUOTE(Jon_J @ Oct 7 2006, 10:34 PM)
What I meant is to try another CF card in the same reader, and see if it mounts.
If it does work, then the Zaurus recognizes your reader.
If it doesn't work, then the Zaurus isn't recognizing your reader
I don't have any other CF card. My world revolves around SD cards. I will have to get a CF card from my *cough*grandmom*cough*. She was the first person in our family to get a digital camera.
Jon_J
try an SD card in a SD card reader
Legodude522
QUOTE(Jon_J @ Oct 7 2006, 10:36 PM)
try an SD card in a SD card reader
I already done that. tongue.gif
Jon_J
it's probably the IDE mode thing that the other posters were talkingt about.
Several manufacturers disabled these microdrives and made them IDE mode only to prevent people from buying mp3 players, just to rip the microdrive out. sorry, I tried... sad.gif

This thread discusses what I mentioned avove
http://www.oesf.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=12085&hl=muvo
Legodude522
QUOTE(Jon_J @ Oct 7 2006, 10:42 PM)
it's probably the IDE mode thing that the other posters were talkingt about.
Several manufacturers disabled these microdrives and made them IDE mode only to prevent people from buying mp3 players, just to rip the microdrive out. sorry, I tried... sad.gif
But it works with my PC dry.gif

This sucks. I paid $10 for it. Lol. Anyone know a way to get around that? Someone mentioned modding on an old thread[how?].

And it doesn't look like there is any news on modding a MicroDrive to fit intenally. I opened the Zaurus before and looked.
Jon_J
back in this thread, there is one person that said to pull a pin out of it.
http://www.oesf.org/forums/index.php?showt...ndpost&p=143365
Legodude522
QUOTE(Jon_J @ Oct 7 2006, 10:51 PM)
back in this thread, there is one person that said to pull a pin out of it.
http://www.oesf.org/forums/index.php?showt...ndpost&p=143365
I would have to buy a cheap CF card reader that I'm willing to pull a pin back. I broke my last spare on a 20gb iPod HDD wink.gif
Jon_J
Here's a thread that lists compatable/noncompatable Hitachi drives. (Aug 2004)
http://www.oesf.org/forums/index.php?showt...indpost&p=37783
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you're using a Hitachi white label OEM 4Gb microdrive, the key point is to check the barcode on the microdrive.
To date, I've collected the following info:

Last digits of barcode / CF compatable
3BA Yes
41C Yes
42B Yes
43B Yes
44C No
45C No
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Legodude522
QUOTE(Jon_J @ Oct 7 2006, 11:23 PM)
Here's a thread that lists compatable/noncompatable Hitachi drives. (Aug 2004)
http://www.oesf.org/forums/index.php?showt...indpost&p=37783
If you're using a Hitachi white label OEM 4Gb microdrive, the key point is to check the barcode on the microdrive.
To date, I've collected the following info:

Last digits of barcode / CF compatable
3BA Yes
41C Yes
42B Yes
43B Yes
44C No
45C No

Mine is none of those.
Jon_J
do a search for "muvo" in all forums. (Muvo is where all the discussions of Hitachi 4GB drives are)
I know yours is an Apple, and is probably newer than the ones mentioned in the thread I posted.
There's a thread that suggests that card readers have IDE/CF interface, and that's why the drive works in a card reader connected to a PC
Cresho
I honestly would not recommend an external microdrive because popping it in and out of the zaurus causes compression on the drive and can burn out the motor just like i did with a 320 dollar microdrive from ibm when i had the sl 5500. it is best used internally.
Legodude522
According to Wikipedia.

MP3 players and PDAs with integrated microdrives

* Apple iPod Mini - 4GB and 6GB Hitachi (CF mode disabled)
* Rio Carbon - Seagate ST1 5GB
* Creative MuVo2 - 4GB Hitachi (CF mode disabled in later models)
* Creative Zen Micro - 5GB Seagate
* Creative Zen Micro Photo-8gb
* iRiver H10 - 5GB Seagate
* palmOne LifeDrive - 4GB Hitachi
* SHARP Zaurus Sl-C3100
* Dell Digital Jukebox 5GB Seagate ST1
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2016 Invision Power Services, Inc.