Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ambicom Wireless Card Install
OESF Portables Forum > General Forums > General Discussion
Computer_geek
I have a SL-5600 and was wondering if there was any Linux drivers I need to get to install the ambicom (WL1100c-CF) wireless CF card? I don't see anyting on the CD and didn't want to plug it in before I knew for sure.
jorvic
Thats the same card im using right now. Though its on a 5500. I just plugged it in and was good to go. Mainly using it on OZ so cant be for sure about the sharp ROM but I would bet it works fine. Mine uses the hostapp modules but most of that was taken care of for me. I just plugged this in and it worked
dz
ehh i used that card on a sl5600.. it was ok, but i didnt like its range and compatibility with my linksys router

i got the linksys wifi card instead
jorvic
The ambicom is the only wifi card I've really spent some time using. How would you say its range compares with other wifi cards? I figured I might attempt to crack that one open and make a larger antenna for it. Then just buy a nicer CF wifi card and leave it alone.
Computer_geek
All I had to do was configure it in the network settings and it worked fine.
LXLibrarian
Well, my Ambicom card (running on a 5500 with default ROM) gives me trouble constantly. Sometimes, I have to eject the card, reinsert it and then it MIGHT work. If it doesn't work, I have to eject it again and then reboot. Sometimes the reboot freezes the Zaurus. Then, I have to do a hard reset. Luckily, I do regular backups!!

After a hard reset, the card works for a while, and then stops. It's not the network settings - could it be my ROM? Anyone know how I can fix this?

Thanks in advance.
mp2100zaurus
The WL-1100C-CF works perfectly well for me in my 5500, with the Sharp ROM (2.37, so it's older, but I think the newer Sharp ROMs work just as well).
dmay
I've been useing the Ambicom WL-1100C-CF card witth my 5600 with no
problems, worked great out-o-box. Currently useing the standard Sharp 1.32 ROM, but it also worked fine with the OZ 3.3.6pre ROM for the couple
of weeks that I had it loaded. Since it's the only CF wireless card I own I
can't give you any comparison there. Not quite the same range as my
laptop with built in wireless but, that's expected since the antenna is only a
fraction of that available on the laptop.
Anonymous
When I plug the wl1100c-cf into the sl-5600 (using the sharp rom), it is immediately detected and the networking screen shows its MAC. However, the card doesn't see my wireless network. The network is there -- various laptops in my house are using it -- but the card sees nothing. Any ideas on what I might try next? TIA -- wylbur.
Anonymous
when I tap the network icon in the tool tray, the card tries to connect: the card led blinks and the base station led also blinks. When I watch the network config screen, I can see the signal strength detected, but the essid isn't detected and dhcp doesn't work. Ideas? - wylbur
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.