Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Zaurus Successor?
OESF Forums > General Forums > General Support and Discussion > New products and alternatives
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
kopsis
Synthetic benchmarks are just that ... synthetic. Most test components and not the whole system, so they may or may not reflect real-world performance. My experience has been that though the K is no speed demon, it's plenty fast enough for most application software.

Case in point, a couple weeks ago I needed to do final editing and format clean-up on a 100+ page MS Word document containing 11 sub documents, some of which contained a dozen or more graphics. Word on the Mac was doing things that broke the formatting when the doc went back to Windows, so I hooked my display and keyboard up to the K and spent the next day and a half using it to do all my final edits. Repagination was a little slow and paging through the graphics heavy sections sometimes required waiting a second or two for graphics to load, but in general it was perfectly usable.

Another example, as part of my holiday R&R I've been playing Battle for Wesnoth on the K over the course of the last few days. Map scrolling isn't quite as smooth as it is on my dual-G5 PowerMac, but I certainly don't see the 10x to 20x slowdown that CPU benchmarks alone would suggest. The game is perfectly playable, and the fact that I can plop down in the La-Z-Boy and play for hours without scorching my lap or having to drag out an AC adapter is mighty appealing smile.gif
maximusz
Thanks for your input Dave, that is the kind of real world experience that I was looking for.
Reading up on most other mini laptops (liberetto and fujitsu) models of the same size , the biggest user complaint is the heat generated and how it can become uncomfortable. This is where the K should shine.....

Thanks for a great blog site Dave, please keep us updated on your thoughts on the K after a month or two of use.
fpp
I'm with Dave and Kahm on this one.

General-purpose benchmarks are mostly useless on this kind of device -- unless you're going to use it ONLY to calculate more decimals of PI, or break encryption keys, or encode mpeg4... which would be a mistake :-)

The only meaningful information is about tasks you will actually carry out on the machine : browsing, word processing, viewing pictures and video, etc, both as measurements (launch times) and general qualitative feedback (usability), as Kopsis did on his blog.

I must thank Dave here because his blog helped overcome my last hesitations, and I have also been playing with my KJS for a few days now. I fully agree with his conclusions : this device is much more usable and capable than one would suspect from the spec sheet and comparisons with past ultramobiles.

My unit came directly from Japan so I had to install my localized Windows XP myself. The hardest part was booting up the Japanese OS first and finishing the first-boot installation and registration. If you think you know Windows by heart from A to Z after all that time, just try it once in Japanese (or any other language that has no As and no Zs :-)...
All the drivers for the specific hardware of the SA1 are under one directory, and internationalized or at least in English, so no problem here. To play it safe I installed the new XP in the second (D:) partition in case I needed something from the first, but I haven't used the first one since.
The only glitch I found is that of course you need to set the SA1 to boot from an external USB CD-ROM drive, in the BIOS setup. But once XP completes the initial installation and reboots, it cannot find the CD anymore and is unable to finish copying files. On a hunch I disabled the boot-from-CD option and rebooted, and it continued just fine... I don't know if this is due to the external CD-ROM I was using, to my Windows CD, or a bug in the KJS BIOS.
Also, instead of the vanilla install disk, I used a customized version with all service packs and critical updates included, and many tweaks to reduce memory and resource consumption. The result is very pleasing : as Dave said, XP runs surprisingly well on this setup, boots fast and feels positively snappy.

The screen is really great, bright and crisp. Along with the SD card reader it makes a fantastic photo viewer (my wife was sold on the first slideshow :-). Although it has the same 800*480 definition as the Nokia 770 Internet tablet, being almost twice as large it can use smaller fonts and fit more information for a given eyesight.
Ever since Windows95 I have kept my taskbar vertical, at the right side of the screen, instead of the default horizontal at bottom. It really pays here !

Web surfing is nice on the 770, it is great on the SA1, mainly because I can use a real Firefox with all the extensions I'm addicted to. Fast, too.

I haven't gotten around to installing OpenOffice yet, but with the VGA-out I'm sure the next presentation at work will be a hit :-)

Autonomy is great, even with Wifi on. I'm just wondering if we'll still be able to procure replacement batteries in a couple of years when we need them :-)

Haven't used tablet mode much yet, but probably good for watching movies...

As Dave noted, the keyboard is the one real weak point. However, as I've always been a lousy typist and will likely remain one, I'm probably less affected by this than you touch-typing divas out there :-)

Lastly, I'll second Kahm's warning about comparisons with older machines, which I've verified first-hand. I also have an old (4+-years) Samsung NV5000 (identical to the Q10). It was an 1.2kg, 12" ultraportable icon in its heyday. This one has a 900Mhz PIII (slower on batteries due to Intel SpeedStep), a 6GB disk and was upgraded to 392 MB RAM.
And sure enough, the KJS feels MUCH faster and snappier to use ! Not to mention the USB2 ports and card readers...

PS for Dave : on your blog you mention that some Firefox/TB dialogs don't fit in the screen, vertically, and you need to move them around with the keyboard shortcuts to get at the lower buttons. Have you tried Fn-F1 ? On my unit it switches to a 800x600 view. The picture is somewhat blurred because it is vertically compressed to 480px, but it's enough to let you click on OK or Cancel :-)
kopsis
QUOTE(fpp @ Jan 4 2007, 04:44 PM)
PS for Dave : on your blog you mention that some Firefox/TB dialogs don't fit in the screen, vertically, and you need to move them around with the keyboard shortcuts to get at the lower buttons. Have you tried Fn-F1 ? On my unit it switches to a 800x600 view. The picture is somewhat blurred because it is vertically compressed to 480px, but it's enough to let you click on OK or Cancel :-)

Actually it's Fn-ESC smile.gif But yes, that's a good tip that I discovered that after I wrote my article. You're right that the 800x600 is a bit fuzzy for text, but the screen scaling modes are actually quite usable in Battle for Wesnoth (and probably other games that don't need Direct3D). It works as a sort of poor-man's anti-aliasing smile.gif
Snappy
QUOTE(kopsis @ Jan 5 2007, 08:55 AM)
QUOTE(fpp @ Jan 4 2007, 04:44 PM)

Actually it's Fn-ESC smile.gif But yes, that's a good tip that I discovered that after I wrote my article. You're right that the 800x600 is a bit fuzzy for text, but the screen scaling modes are actually quite usable in Battle for Wesnoth (and probably other games that don't need Direct3D). It works as a sort of poor-man's anti-aliasing smile.gif

Neat! For web browsing, I think Opera also supports dynamic scaling. fyi, I use FF personally and no, I don't have a SA. smile.gif sad.gif

btw, OT, for Battle for Wesnoth ... in the hardest level setting, one of the stage is quite impassable ... anyone completed the 2nd campaign?

For the uninstructed, BfW is a RTS game set in a backdrop much like Warcraft. smile.gif
cycle_55
QUOTE(kopsis @ Dec 11 2006, 05:32 PM)
My non-stop stream of Kohjinsha propoganda continues ...  tongue.gif

My review now has photos (and a few edits since I originally posted the link).

I've also posted a page of Z vs. Kohjinsha pics.

Would you mind posting the K's charger specs ? Thanks in advance.

cycle_55
fpp
Output is 19V DC, 2.63 A. Input is international (110/230V, 50/60Hz).
The "brick" is quite small, with a standard plug for the AC cord which can thus be replaced with a local one. Anything else you need to know ?
cycle_55
QUOTE(fpp @ Jan 5 2007, 07:48 AM)
Output is 19V DC, 2.63 A. Input is international (110/230V, 50/60Hz).
The "brick" is quite small, with a standard plug for the AC cord which can thus be replaced with a local one. Anything else you need to know ?

Thanks, this will do. I couldn't find it in any of the advertising. Thanks again.

cycle_55
fpp
QUOTE(kopsis @ Jan 4 2007, 04:55 PM)
Actually it's Fn-ESC smile.gif But yes, that's a good tip that I discovered that after I wrote my article.

Yup, sorry. Shoulda lifted my fat ass to check instead of posting from notoriously fail-prone memory :-)
fpp
QUOTE(fpp @ Jan 5 2007, 09:14 AM)
QUOTE(kopsis @ Jan 4 2007, 04:55 PM)
Actually it's Fn-ESC smile.gif But yes, that's a good tip that I discovered that after I wrote my article.

Yup, sorry. Shoulda lifted my fat ass to check instead of posting from notoriously fail-prone memory :-)

I looked again, and actually Fn-Esc switches to a widescreen-type resolution of 1024x600 - that's why it's so blurry, it's scaled both ways.

If the problem is only with screen height, it's possible to manually (via screen properties) switch to a regular 800x600, which is a bit sharper.
fpp
Dave, if you're still around and can spare a few minutes, I could use some help here...

As you know I've been reinstalling XP of my SA1 by myself, and everything went well except for one problem with the keyboard driver...

I'm interested in the following information concerning your unit as reinstalled by Conics :

1) Are the three keys with japanese labels on either side of the spacebar functional ?

2) On the top row, are the five keys between F8 and Ins all functional ?

3) In your Control Panel, System, Hardware, Device list, what is the name of the installed keyboard, and its driver files ?...

In my original japanese installation, 1) is no, 2) is yes, and 3) is gibberish :-)

In my self-installed XP, even if I manually force a japanese keyboard driver, two of the top keys are dead, so I have missing symbols...

TIA,
fp
kopsis
QUOTE(fpp @ Jan 7 2007, 05:53 PM)
1) Are the three keys with japanese labels on either side of the spacebar functional ?

No.

2) On the top row, are the five keys between F8 and Ins all functional ?

The "|" isn't showing anything in Wordpad, but the others work.

3) In your Control Panel, System, Hardware, Device list, what is the name of the installed keyboard, and its driver files ?...

Standard 101/102-Key (i8042prt.sys, kbdclass.sys).

The problem isn't your keyboard driver, it's the langauage mapping. Under Control Panel, Regional and Language Options, Languages, Details... you can select a "Default input language". Mine came set up with "English (United States) - Sarutek Keyboard" ... an option you probably don't have.

I've since built my own input method that is exactly like the Sarutek except it swaps the "+" and ":" symbols. If you PM me your preferred email address, I can send you an installer for my custom input method.
zmiq2
Keep an eye on this:

1) ~$1500USD: oqo has released a new oqo2. Another category of computer, but worth o keep on eye on it: http://www.oqo.com

2) ??: flipstart, the 2/3 year vapourware minicomputer from Paul Allen company has just redesigned their website: http://www.flipstartpc.com/

Interesting times we are living in. It seems that everyone has been waiting 2007 to launch their products, not to mention apple !
Da_Blitz
actually i am in the market for a new highly capable mobile PC that must be IO heavy and the OQO apealed (Blew up my Z, wrong polarity on the charger problem)

at the moment its a toss up between the new oqo and this beast. ethire way its likly to get one of those solid state drives in it at some point. might wait and see wink.gif
fpp
QUOTE(kopsis @ Jan 9 2007, 03:51 PM)
I've since built my own input method that is exactly like the Sarutek except it swaps the "+" and ":" symbols. If you PM me your preferred email address, I can send you an installer for my custom input method.

Thanks, Dave. I just did that.
fp
kahm
QUOTE(zmiq2 @ Jan 10 2007, 03:09 AM)
Keep an eye on this:

1) ~$1500USD: oqo has released a new oqo2. Another category of computer, but worth o keep on eye on it: http://www.oqo.com

2) ??: flipstart, the 2/3 year vapourware minicomputer from Paul Allen company has just redesigned their website: http://www.flipstartpc.com/

Interesting times we are living in. It seems that everyone has been waiting 2007 to launch their products, not to mention apple !

I saw over in the Pocketpenguin forum that Vulcan's Flipstart website had been updated, and I signed up for the "first to know" thing right away. I would buy a flipstart the very instant it becomes available, as I view it as the perfect Z killer:

Flipstart:
5.8"x4"x1"
454g
256mb ram (although I hope they bump this to at least 512 in their release)
30gb HD
1024x600 screen
wi-fi
USB2.0
Camera
VGA out

vs the Z
4.9"x3.4"x1"
298g
64mb ram
4gb HD (very slow)
640x480 touchscreen.
USB1.1

vs Kohjinsha
8.1"x6.5"x1.5"
980g
512mb-1gb ram
40-80gb HD
Wi-fi/BT
USB2.0
VGA out

The flipstart is half again heavier, only 0.9" wider and 0.6" deeper, same thickness. You gain x86 compatibility, built in wireless, a useful screen resolution, more memory (very, very important) and a much larger and faster HD.

The size might put it over the top for some, but I keep my Z in my coat pocket. The reduced battery life (3-4hrs) is still pretty good, and wouldn't affect my usage. The loss of the touchscreen will be harder to take, though.

It's like they compressed a Kohjinsha down into the size of a Z and left a higher res screen.

I just bought a Macbook, which probably means my use of the Libretto will go down. If Vulcan comes out with this little wonder I'd probably sell off all but 1 Z and the Libretto, then carry the Flipstart. (And either an FIC open moko phone or an iPhone tongue.gif)
fpp
Seeing how tiny 1024x600 looks on the Kohjinsha's screen, I wouldn't dream of using that on one the size of the Flipstart's. And yes, it has more memory, but then it's going to run Windows, no ? :-)
ArchiMark
Good points, kahm...

As an OT aside, which MacBook did you get??

I've been seriously considering getting the 2GHz white one, so that I can run OSX and XP using Parallels....

Only other thing tempting me right now (except for the $$$ involved...) is the new ModBook shown at MacWorld...would love to have a Mac tablet....

Thanks,

Mark

QUOTE(kahm @ Jan 11 2007, 01:08 PM)
I saw over in the Pocketpenguin forum that Vulcan's Flipstart website had been updated, and I signed up for the "first to know" thing right away. I would buy a flipstart the very instant it becomes available, as I view it as the perfect Z killer:

Flipstart:
5.8"x4"x1"
454g
256mb ram (although I hope they bump this to at least 512 in their release)
30gb HD
1024x600 screen
wi-fi
USB2.0
Camera
VGA out

vs the Z
4.9"x3.4"x1"
298g
64mb ram
4gb HD (very slow)
640x480 touchscreen.
USB1.1

vs Kohjinsha
8.1"x6.5"x1.5"
980g
512mb-1gb ram
40-80gb HD
Wi-fi/BT
USB2.0
VGA out

The flipstart is half again heavier, only 0.9" wider and 0.6" deeper, same thickness. You gain x86 compatibility, built in wireless, a useful screen resolution, more memory (very, very important) and a much larger and faster HD.

The size might put it over the top for some, but I keep my Z in my coat pocket. The reduced battery life (3-4hrs) is still pretty good, and wouldn't affect my usage. The loss of the touchscreen will be harder to take, though.

It's like they compressed a Kohjinsha down into the size of a Z and left a higher res screen.

I just bought a Macbook, which probably means my use of the Libretto will go down. If Vulcan comes out with this little wonder I'd probably sell off all but 1 Z and the Libretto, then carry the Flipstart. (And either an FIC open moko phone or an iPhone tongue.gif)
kahm
QUOTE(fpp @ Jan 11 2007, 03:08 PM)
Seeing how tiny 1024x600 looks on the Kohjinsha's screen, I wouldn't dream of using that on one the size of the Flipstart's. And yes, it has more memory, but then it's going to run Windows, no ? :-)

The K's screen is 800x480, and is actually quite large (7")

The screen on the FLipstart is 1024x600, at 5.8", which will run it about ~200dpi, which is almost exactly the same as the Z. (The panasonic wordsgear reader has a 1024x600 5.6" dispay, and it's officially 210dpi)

So it is no worse than the Z, with substantially better resolution.
kahm
QUOTE(ArchiMark @ Jan 11 2007, 03:47 PM)
Good points, kahm...

And with the cancellation of the Zaurus, something like the flipstart can't come out fast enough.

And I'd probably wipe windows and run Linux with a lightweight windows manager on the Vulcan anyway.

I've been seriously considering getting the 2GHz white one, so that I can run OSX and XP using Parallels....

2ghz White, with 2gb of ram. Running XP and Vista via parallels, and it's as smooth as a baby's bottom smile.gif

I very nearly packed it up and sent it back 30sec after opening it. It's quite heavy for it's size, and looks bigger at home than it does in the store. I thought it would be a little chunky compared to my Libretto, but its first impression was more like the fat lady at the circus sad.gif

Thankfully, I'm mostly over it now and am otherwise impressed with the unit.
adf
I'd been waiting for flipstart and oqo to announce something for years. By now i'm under the impression that neither will actually arrive. Besides, wasn;'t the flipstart supposed to sell for about $1500 us? too high fior a z killer if I remebered the price right.
kahm
QUOTE(adf @ Jan 14 2007, 02:13 AM)
I'd been waiting for flipstart and oqo to announce something for years.  By now i'm under the impression that neither will actually arrive.  Besides, wasn;'t the flipstart supposed to sell for about $1500 us?  too high fior a z killer if I remebered the price right.

Well, the update on the flipstart's webpage is very new. When we last heard of them almost 2 years ago they knew they were a victim of premature announcements, so they stated that they wouldn't say anything else about the Flipstart until they were good and ready to realease a product.

That sentiment is what leads me to be hopeful that they're actually going to release a product, and probably (relatively) soon - I would say this year some time.

As for the price - I could actually care less at this point. I'm now looking for a tool that does what I want, in a form factor that I like. The Z came very close, but now that I'm actually putting it to use I'm finding a bunch limitations in speed, memory, etc.

It is an unfortunate fact that there is simply nothing else on the market like the Z. The HTC Universal is the next best thing, but it is painfully obvious that it's a phone first, and that I wouldn't be much better of with it instead.

So, what I want is a Zaurus, but with more memory and built in networking. It's got to be a pocketable clamshell, have a good keyboard, and a good screen. A faster hard drive and better software compatibility would be nice, too.

If it costs 1500$, then so be it. If I had it then I wouldn't need either my Z or my Libretto. Plus, x86 compatibility means I could run anything I wanted on it, rather than a slow, but stable distribution, or a half built alpha with semi-modern software.

I've said it before - if the Vulcan Flipstart actaully goes on sale, I will be standing at the front of the line with my credit card out.
adf
I mostly agree about the comparison, and the Z's shortcomings. and the possible advantages of the flipstart. The z's limits for my use are more that something which fits in a pocket will always leave a lot to be desired for wordprocessing due to the size of the keyboard and to an extent, the screen. I try to use ssh to get more powerful computers to handle anything significant where possible, so the processing speed doesn't bug me much--though memory does sometimes. My mentioning the price wasn't by way of complaint, is was more by way of saying that the flipstart at 1500 would be really pushing the price/perfomance ratio for me. The Z package is:
portability
versatility
efficiency
affordability

think about it this way: 1500 might be a neo, a 12-14" modest (but much more powerful than a flipstart, Koshinja, umpc) laptop and enough change to buy a new mobo/cpu with serious power (or a zaurus, for that matter). Or a neo, a Kosh. and enough change to pay for about a year of unlimted gprs.

which is the better solution for most of us?

btw I seem pretty hung up on the neo these days, don't I?
Da_Blitz
anyone seen the htc fireball/bird/whatever

it had video out and a nvidia goforce chipset as well as some chunky flash and ram with a 640x480 screen and USB host support, no keyboard but in some ways its a step up
speculatrix
QUOTE(kahm @ Jan 14 2007, 09:13 AM)

2ghz White
I very nearly packed it up and sent it back 30sec after opening it. It's quite heavy for it's size, and looks bigger at home than it does in the store. I thought it would be a little chunky compared to my Libretto, but its first impression was more like the fat lady at the circus sad.gif

You really ought to take a look at the Sony TX2... can't run mac-osx. I took it on holiday with me to the USA, I only occasionally take a laptop with me due to the burden of carrying it, first time I've taken one and not felt it to be a burden. The only snag is it doesn't feel too strong so you do end up bulking it up with padding. However, it's still too big to take everywhere, so the Z was still very useful.
fpp
QUOTE(kahm @ Jan 14 2007, 12:08 AM)

I know that kahm, as I'm typing on it :-)
But it does have a scaled 1024x600 mode. Of course it's blurry from interpolation, but it gives an idea of using such a definition on a 7" screen.
That's why I personally wouldn't think of using it on a even smaller one, but your own eyesight may differ :-)
ArchiMark
Thanks for the feedback, kahm....

Well, I took the plunge on Friday and got one....so far it's great!

Had a G4 iBook previously, so size not too different...

Installed Parallels and Vista beta that I had last night, works great....installing the new Parallels beta now...

All in all, happy camper right now, just wish it had touchscreen... rolleyes.gif

QUOTE(kahm @ Jan 14 2007, 01:13 AM)
2ghz White, with 2gb of ram. Running XP and Vista via parallels, and it's as smooth as a baby's bottom smile.gif

Thankfully, I'm mostly over it now and am otherwise impressed with the unit.
kahm
QUOTE(adf @ Jan 14 2007, 03:36 AM)
I mostly agree about the comparison, and the Z's shortcomings. and the possible advantages of the flipstart.  The z's limits for my use are more that something which fits in a pocket will always leave a lot to be desired for wordprocessing due to the size of the keyboard and to an extent, the screen. I try to use ssh to get more powerful computers to handle anything significant where possible, so the processing speed doesn't bug me much--though memory does sometimes. My mentioning the price wasn't by way of complaint, is was more by way of saying that the flipstart at 1500 would be really pushing the price/perfomance ratio for me. The Z package is:
portability
versatility
efficiency
affordability

think about it this way:  1500 might be a neo, a 12-14" modest (but much more powerful than a flipstart, Koshinja, umpc) laptop and  enough change to buy a new mobo/cpu with serious power (or a zaurus, for that matter).  Or a neo, a Kosh. and  enough change to pay for about a year of unlimted gprs. 

which is the better solution for most of us?

When I bought my laptop last year, I bought one that cost twice as much for half the features. I almost didn't, but it was probably a very good choice for me. I currently carry 2 Zs (one on Cacko, one on pdaXii13) and my libretto every day. If I had the Vulcan, I could eliminate all three of them.

For the most part, the Z is pretty good for portablility. You still have to factor in carrying around a case filled with memory cards, wireless cards, and power adapters.

Versatility and efficiency depend on each other, and the requirements of the user at the time. If you use it like a PDA with the convenience of a keyboard, it performs pretty well. It even makes a pretty good surfing platform if you can stand the wireless card jutting out the side (Which I can't). OTOH, if you try and use it more like a computer, which is possible, you soon run into performance issues like waiting over five minutes for a search and replace to finish. Efficiency goes down as versatility increases due to limitations of the platform. Serious work can be done, so long as you're willing to wait on it.

Affordability is somewhat questionable, as the Z is rather expensive for what you get. Less so now than when they came out, though - they're now closer to $500 than $750. Also consider that it's not really easy or particularily cheap to get CF Wi-fi cards or USB host cables. We don't have a working CF 802.11g card for the Z yet, and the 802.11b cards are harder to find.

Now, don't get me wrong - I still love the Z. I own everything from an early production 5000D to a 3100, but we're running into walls on both the hardware and software, and I'm getting just old enough not to have time to play with it anymore.

I've looked for years, and spent a lot of money, on trying to find the best in portable computing. I think the Z is the ultimate formfactor, but limitations in memory and connectivity sour the experience.

btw I seem pretty hung up on the neo these days, don't I?

Well, I was thinking about the Neo, then the iPhone. Since the iPhone is going to be too locked down and the Neo is actually going to have BT, I'll probably get a Neo. It does look like a very nice piece of kit smile.gif
kahm
QUOTE(fpp @ Jan 14 2007, 08:48 AM)
QUOTE(kahm @ Jan 14 2007, 12:08 AM)

I know that kahm, as I'm typing on it :-)
But it does have a scaled 1024x600 mode. Of course it's blurry from interpolation, but it gives an idea of using such a definition on a 7" screen.
That's why I personally wouldn't think of using it on a even smaller one, but your own eyesight may differ :-)

Can you use see the screen on a Zaurus? It will be almost the same density. The screen on my Libretto is 1280x720, and it's only 7.5". That's too small sitting on a desk at normal typing distance, but quite nice holding it in the hand like you would the Vulcan.

When I set the K up for my friend, I didn't know about fn-esc changing the screen res, so I was doing it through the display control panel. When you set it to a higher screen res, WinXP removes the 800x480 option from the slider, and you have to dig a bit to find how to set it back. I'm trying to bug my friend into finding it for himself, but he seems not to care whether it's set to 800x480 or 1024x600 tongue.gif
kahm
QUOTE(speculatrix @ Jan 14 2007, 07:11 AM)
You really ought to take a look at the Sony TX2... can't run mac-osx. I took it on holiday with me to the USA,  I only occasionally take a laptop with me due to the burden of carrying it, first time I've taken one and not felt it to be a burden. The only snag is it doesn't feel too strong so you do end up bulking it up with padding. However, it's still too big to take everywhere, so the Z was still very useful.

smile.gif

I own a Libretto U100, which is a very powerful and portable tiny laptop. I wanted an OSX machine just because of OSX and didn't want to get a mini smile.gif The macbook will probably mostly live on my desk and I'll only take it out if I need something more powerful on the road...

It only seemed so huge and heavy because it lacks in comparison to the libby tongue.gif That, and looking at it in the local stores, it seems smaller. (I was out at Futureshop with a friend yesterday, and he swears that the model in the store is smaller than mine at home tongue.gif. Plus, we can't pick them up in the store, so the weight was a bit of a surprise. They are quite dense...)
dougeeebear
kopsis,
I am seriously thinking of buying a SAF1F00A, and since you have the actual hands-on with it, I have a few questions regarding the touchpad:

First, does sidescrolling work as expected?
Second, is it a synaptics touchpad (you can tell in the mouse setup).
Third, I read in another review that the buttons on the touchpad are loose and floppy feeling, and I just want to get your opinion on that.

By the way, your review is very enlightening, thanks for that.

Thanks,
Doug
kopsis
QUOTE(dougeeebear @ Mar 18 2007, 08:04 AM)
First, does sidescrolling work as expected?

Well, I'm a keyboard person and don't pay much attention to pointing devices, so I'm not exactly sure what "expected" would be smile.gif

Second, is it a synaptics touchpad (you can tell in the mouse setup).

Yes ... or at least it's using synaptics drivers.

Third, I read in another review that the buttons on the touchpad are loose and floppy feeling, and I just want to get your opinion on that.

They definitely are, and it was a little disturbing at first. But its not due to build quality, it's just how they're designed. I've quickly gotten used to it. I'm actually bothered more by the plastic chrome finish that causes them to always proudly display my fingerprints smile.gif
dougeeebear
Well, that gives me something more to think about.
Crappy keyboard, floppy mouse buttons, 800x480 resolution.
For the price they want, I might be better off spending $150 on a new high-capacity battery for the four-year-old laptop I already own.
Plus I also have the C1000.
Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Thanks for the input kopsis,
Doug
cycle_55
QUOTE(dougeeebear @ Mar 19 2007, 03:31 AM)
Well, that gives me something more to think about.
Crappy keyboard, floppy mouse buttons, 800x480 resolution.
For the price they want, I might be better off spending $150 on a new high-capacity battery for the four-year-old laptop I already own.
Plus I also have the C1000.
Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Thanks for the input kopsis,
Doug

I wasn't going to say anything but I have to comment on a couple of things. I don't find the keyboard crappy, it is small and requires that your fingers stay close together when you type. I am as quick on this keyboard as on a full size one now. My mouse buttons are not floppy at all and the pad works as good or better than on previous laptops I have used. I am very happy with this machine, it has replaced my laptop but of course not my Z. smile.gif
I have only one little beef and that is that the sd slot is not a full slot, in other words the sd card does not go all the way into the slot. Good luck with your decision.

cycle_55
dougeeebear
cycle_55,
Thanks for the info.
I guess another question I have about the keyboard and mouse keys is are they quiet when you press them, like the average keyboard/mouse, or do they a make a clicking sound?
I know I'm asking a lot of questions, but I have a need to know this stuff.

After all this, I guess the deciding factor for me might be the squashed-up screen (or maybe chopped-off would be more accurate).
Being among the senior citizen crowd, my eyes are getting a little on the old side and I'm thinking web pages and such might be a little hard to read.

Thanks again,
Doug

EDIT:
I just broke down and ordered one, so we'll see how it is when it gets here.
I'll report back with my conclusions.
Thank you all for your very helpful information.

I have a set of cd's for Slackware 10, so maybe I'll install that on the second partition.
fpp
Good move... Here's some reassurance while-U-wait :

- I believe the keyboard issue is mostly a matter of getting used to it and "breaking in" the keys by using it some. At first I had the same experience as related by others here, but I find it less the case as time goes by.

- I have no problems with the touchpad and mouse buttons - certainly less so than with a lot of regular laptops I've used in the past. The keyboard is reasonably discreet, typically laptop-like.

- my eyes aren't brand new either but I find the screen quite usable. I also have a Nokia 770 Internet Tablet, with the same resolution but with a 4" screen, and *that* is sometimes hard to squint at. The larger screen on the KJS makes a lot of difference. With the hardware scroll buttons at the side, the reduced vertical size is less of an issue.

All in all, if used for what it's designed to do, the KJS is a very nice sublaptop at a very good price compared to others for its size, weight, autonomy and connectivity.
dougeeebear
QUOTE(fpp @ Mar 21 2007, 08:20 AM)
Good move... Here's some reassurance while-U-wait :
Thanks for the encouragement, I can hardly wait.
zmiq2
QUOTE(dougeeebear @ Mar 20 2007, 03:52 AM)
cycle_55,
Thanks for the info.
I guess another question I have about the keyboard and mouse keys is are they quiet when you press them, like the average keyboard/mouse, or do they a make a clicking sound?
I know I'm asking a lot of questions, but I have a need to know this stuff.

After all this, I guess the deciding factor for me might be the squashed-up screen (or maybe chopped-off would be more accurate).
Being among the senior citizen crowd, my eyes are getting a little on the old side and I'm thinking web pages and such might be a little hard to read.

Thanks again,
Doug

EDIT:
Thank you all for your very helpful information.

I have a set of cd's for Slackware 10, so maybe I'll install that on the second partition.

Yes, please, provide more info. Today, once again, before March paycheck, I have found myself wandering over conics.net and dynamism .... Where are you getting your from? Did you get a discount over web price?

Thanks
dougeeebear
QUOTE(zmiq2 @ Mar 21 2007, 10:31 AM)
Yes, please, provide more info. Today, once again, before March paycheck, I have found myself wandering over conics.net and dynamism .... Where are you getting your from?
I bought it from Conics.
Did you get a discount over web price?
The price is listed on their site (no discounts).
Capn_Fish
Has anybody tried running Linux on one of these yet?
fpp
See the posts by Kopsis earlier in the thread and go read his blog posts on the KJS. He tried, and it boots Linux just as it should, and then there are the (unfortunately usual) issues with this kind of customized hardware : running X in 800*480 on that video chipset, keyboard layout, Wifi and BT support and so on...

Most of those are probably solvable, but as he says, he bought the critter to use it, not to tinker with it, so he didn't want to spend the time and effort. If someone does, thought, it could make a nice little Linux sublaptop...
dougeeebear
Here's something that would be an awesome feature for this little Kohjinsha...

If someone could come up with a program that would allow you to run a zaurus rom/distro in a directory the same way Dosbox allows you to run Dos and its applications.
It could be called ZaurusBox.
I have no idea if something like this is possible or not, but it's food for thought.
Da_Blitz
qemu with full arm system emulation?

just added recently, sure it isnt the Z but the platform they did simulate is quite capable and would run most Z software, you might need to tweak the distro a bit but that should be it
dougeeebear
Or, you can run Linux like any other program in Windows
speculatrix
QUOTE(dougeeebear @ Mar 22 2007, 02:10 AM)

If someone could come up with a program that would allow you to run a zaurus rom/distro in a directory the same way Dosbox allows you to run Dos and its applications.
I have no idea if something like this is possible or not, but it's food for thought.

http://www.virtera.com/

download it quick before it disappears
Jon_J
QUOTE(speculatrix @ Mar 22 2007, 10:52 AM)
QUOTE(dougeeebear @ Mar 22 2007, 02:10 AM)

http://www.virtera.com/

download it quick before it disappears

I downloaded this last year.
I don't think it would run on the Kohjinsha SA1F00A/SA1F00B, unless this small laptop can run Linux natively.
Quote from "install.pdf"
Microsoft Windows is not supported.
CODE
3.Host Requirements and Pre-requisite Software
The requirements for the host computer are:
IBM PC compatible, Intel or AMD x86 processor with clock speed 1.0 GHz or higher:
Intel Pentium 4 or Xeon.
AMD Athlon or Opteron.
512MB of RAM and 10MB of available hard disk space (in directory /opt).
Linux O/S: 2.4.x or 2.6.x kernel.
Tested Linux distributions:
Red Hat 9.0
Fedora Core 1, 3, and 5
Fedora Core 2 (use RPM for Fedora Core 1)
Fedora Core 4 (use RPM for Fedora Core 3)
SuSE 9.2
SuSE 10.1
Mandrake 9.2
Debian 3.1 (sarge)
Other recent Linux distributions may also work but are not tested.
Microsoft Windows is not supported.
VM-arm runs as a 32-bit program. If run on a 64-bit x86 O/S (e.g. On Opteron, AMD

Last year when I signed up and downloaded this, there was a description on the website that said "There may be support for Microsoft Windows at a later date"
Those are not the exact words, but that is what I remember.
kopsis
QUOTE(Da_Blitz @ Mar 21 2007, 09:09 PM)
qemu with full arm system emulation?

Theoretically possible, but performance on the Kohji would be really poor. You'd be looking a speeds on par with underclocking a Z to 50MHz or less. A better move would be to build OE for x86 and run that in QEMU with KQEMU acceleration. I've actually run a Debian server VM that way on the Kohji and it worked pretty well. Note that VMWare, Parallels, and (probably) VirtualPC don't support the Kohji's Geode processor, so QEMU is about your only high performance virtualization option.

As for Kohji screen concerns ... the screen is awesome! It's one of the machine's best features. The native 800x480 resolution is sharp and clear and surprisingly usable for most tasks. I find that I can use it for long periods with no eye strain and I seldom ever have to switch to one of the higher "scaled" resolutions.
fpp
Same here. I only ever use the Fn-Esc thing for those huge dialogs where some widgets or buttons are off-screen...
dougeeebear
QUOTE(dougeeebear @ Mar 20 2007, 06:52 AM)

My Kohji was shipped out a few hours ago.
dougeeebear
I received my Kohji yesterday.
I'm still messing around with it.
Will post more details later.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.