Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Zaurus Successor?
OESF Forums > General Forums > General Support and Discussion > New products and alternatives
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
geojeff
I didn't see this posted in this thread:

http://www.pocketables.net/2007/03/new_touchscreen.html

The link to the source of the statement doesn't hit a page at http://blog.icube.us, and I couldn't find it by searching there.

I'd be interested in touchscreen functionality for quick data entry using selection list and custom widgets, which I had working on the Z using pyQt.
ZDevil
The touchscreen upgrade reminds me of the tempting Sigmarion III! If the price is not gonna be hellishly expensive ...
fpp
I've seen that rumor a few days ago too. ATM, it's still only a rumor.

To me it doesn't quite fit in with the "philosophy" of the original SA1. It was said that part of its reasonable price came from repurposing existing non-touch-screens made for GPS navigators...

Anyway, if true, it will probably raise the price quite a bit : new screen, new XP license, redesigned case to fit a pen...

In any case I wouldn't regret my purchase : the foldable screen and "tablet mode" is nice to show off, but as with my old Zaurus, I find I hardly ever actually use it. I bought the SA1 as a very light, compact and versatile sublaptop for a fraction of the price such units usually go for, and that's how I use it...
kopsis
Nothing wrong with rounding out the model line, I guess. But the beauty of the SA1 for me is that Kohjinsha kept the price low and I didn't have to pay for a single feature that I don't use. In terms of feature set, the SA1 almost feels like I spec'd out the machine myself smile.gif

Some folks might be able to put a touchscreen to good use, but I'm not one of them. But if the rumor is true, it will be very interesting to see what it does to the price.

On a slightly different note, I see Conics.net now has SA1 batteries available. Pricey (a little over $100 with shipping) but I couldn't resist. Ability to use your laptop through an entire coast-to-coast flight without carrying 5 lbs of batteries ... priceless smile.gif
fpp
Ah, that's good news, I was wondering what would happen when the original wears out...
Ling
As others have said, I work in a windows (and a few macs) environment. When I must have windows, my laptops dual boot and my wife and daughter still use windows as their primary. With this in mind, if I am going to have a Windows machine, it needs to run the latest version. Any word on Vista on the K? With vLite, it might do OK. My Fujitsu P5000D runs Vista Beta in VMPlayer OK, so I assume the K might as well.

As to the comment that it would be easier to build with Gentoo from the ground up rather than cut down *buntu, either that person is really capable or has never tried Gentoo. I think Xubuntu with some trimming of unneeded pieces would be a better start for the less capable (like myself).

Also, I started looking at the Libretto U100. An earlier post mentioned the specs for the u100. The actual specs are Width 8.27 in. Depth 6.5 in. Height 1.17 in. Weight 2.16 lb. A favorable comparison to the K. As it is an X86 with an Intel GME 855 chipset and AC 97 sound, it will definitely run your favorite flavor of Linux. As to the price it is several hundred dollars more. I am trying to determine if it is worth the extra money. I keep hoping that Kahm will provide some feedback on the U100 vs the K.
fpp
One of the first things I did on my KJS (as for all other Windows boxes I setup) was to install Firefox and never touch IE.

Now I have just discovered this great Firefox plugin : FullerScreen.

It gives "F11" a whole new life, and is just perfect on such a screen !
Jon_J
QUOTE(fpp @ Apr 7 2007, 09:11 AM)
One of the first things I did on my KJS (as for all other Windows boxes I setup) was to install Firefox and never touch IE.

Now I have just discovered this great Firefox plugin : FullerScreen.

It gives "F11" a whole new life, and is just perfect on such a screen !

On my desktop windows box, Firefox 2.0.0.3 already has full screen built-in.
I don't have any fullscreen plugin, extension, or theme.
I hit F-11, and it goes full screen, with no titlebar and toolbar, and the statusbar at the bottom is also missing. (True full screen)
nilch
QUOTE(Jon_J @ Apr 7 2007, 11:32 AM)
On my desktop windows box, Firefox 2.0.0.3 already has full screen built-in.
I don't have any fullscreen plugin, extension, or theme.
I hit F-11, and it goes full screen, with no titlebar and toolbar, and the statusbar at the bottom is also missing. (True full screen)

On my Linux box with Firefox 2.0 I have full screen as you mention already "built-in". I know I did not install any plugins. This is on my Suse box.

Thanks for documenting this feature - I didnt know this existed with a sigle button press.
adf
F11 works on my dapper box w/ default firefox 1.5 too.
fpp
Yes, of course, Firefox has had a "fullscreen" mode called by F11 ever since day 1. But it has a few shortcomings, like :

- when it hides your statusbar, it hides it for good, you need to get out of fullscreen mode to see it,
- if you have several tabs open, it doesn't hide the tab bar, thus not "true" full screen.

The plugin is meant to improve on the existing feature, that's why it is called "fullERscreen", and reuses the F11 key.

What it does is, it hides everything including the tab bar, but if your mouse comes near the top or bottom of screen, the tab bar and status bar pop up (so you can change tabs or click on something on the status bar), then disappear again when the mouse moves away. There is also an option where the status bar pops up if something changes (e.g. Gmail notifier).

It may sound like a small change but it makes a lot of difference, especially on a 800*480 screen like the SA1 has.
speculatrix
fuller screen seems really useful!

http://glazman.org/weblog/dotclear/index.p...6-fuller-screen
fpp
I do believe I was on topic recommending this useful extension to users of this specific machine. Sorry if it was well-known to you already, it wasn't to me, nor to several others from the look of it.

I don't see that you have contributed anything essential to the SA1 discussion, either, to make you the appointed "on-topic" guardian.

EDIT: Hmm, the post this was following up on, just disappeared ?...
:-)
cycle_55
QUOTE(fpp @ Apr 8 2007, 06:06 AM)
I do believe I was on topic recommending this useful extension to users of this specific machine. Sorry if it was well-known to you already, it wasn't to me, nor to several others from the look of it.

I don't see that you have contributed anything essential to the SA1 discussion, either, to make you the appointed "on-topic" guardian.

I certainly didn't know it existed and thank-you for pointing this out. It is definitely helpful on my K although I don't use it all the time. Thanks. smile.gif

cycle_55
Da_Blitz
so where does a soon to be owner hang out for the latest info on these things?

just wondering if there is a forum or a haciking gudie on it, google dosent turn up much and at the moment i am wonedring about wifi support under linux. cant seem to get the chipset (anyone able to do a lspci for me?)

[edit]

can anyone confirm if it has 333Mhz ram or 400Mhz ram, the data sheets say it supports 400 but the specs that i have seen all say it ships with 333 (looking to upgrade a bit smile.gif)
speculatrix
QUOTE(Da_Blitz @ Apr 10 2007, 12:50 PM)

they're just small PCs, so no expertise required :-)
just stick in a gentoo disk and wait three months for everything to build!
gr8ful
QUOTE(Da_Blitz @ Apr 10 2007, 06:50 AM)

just wondering if there is a forum or a haciking gudie on it, google dosent turn up much and at the moment i am wonedring about wifi support under linux. cant seem to get the chipset (anyone able to do a lspci for me?)

[edit]

can anyone confirm if it has 333Mhz ram or 400Mhz ram, the data sheets say it supports 400 but the specs that i have seen all say it ships with 333 (looking to upgrade a bit smile.gif)

Here's a UMPC site that has news, information and comparisons. There is also a forum, but I'm not sure how helpful it is.

http://www.umpcportal.com/modules/news/
fpp
I don't know of any better forum than here :-)

The resident guru (ie the guy who got one first) is kopsis, look for his blog in his sig, he did some quick tests with Linux.
Ling
I have tried to get a response from the author, but no joy... if anyone else has any actual experience with the Toshiba Libretto U100 versus the K, I would be interested. My concerns with the K are:

1) Japanese keyboard, keyboard size, key action, etc.
2) Type I CF versus Type II or PCMCIA
3) No port replicator dock option
4) Looks like there will be issues with Linux compatibility

For more money, the U100 seems to address all of these from a proven company with strong support in the US for a US model notebook. I am interested in thoughts from those who have owned both or at least tried both. Thanks.

**UPDATE** Didn't want to add any more off-topic stuff to this thread, but thought I would note that I bought a U100. Thanks to Kahm for the feedback.
Da_Blitz
i have some big plans for this thing wink.gif

just wondering if there is anyone out there who would benifit from my hacking on it

the only problem i can see is with wifi, after checking the amd site it seems that most of thier patches are in the mainline kernel and x.org (or so they say) which is a good thing, shame about the lack of 3d but i can live with that

at the moment because i cant get a ssd for the thing i was thinking that i might be able to cram 3x CF cards in there (8GB a peice) as i dont really need the 40G+ that i get with it, i am more concerned with battery life, im guessing 20MB/s/card

also i belive a custom rebuild of the battery pack is in order with higher capacity cells and see if usb client is routed out to one of the usb ports (could come in handy)

IO wise i think its good but i am thinking of putting in a IR blaster wired to the hedaphone jack for lirc support as i have used it before on my main PC and quite like it (esp. with mplayer and its new menu support meaning you dont have to leave mplayer to change files)

any one else have ideas for some more hacks?
Da_Blitz
actually i have been researching linux compatability

seems AMD is big on support for linux and have nearly all thier patches in the latest releases or svn (2.6.20 supports IDE, audio, Video out (Framebuffer, however marked "experimental") USB Host (no client), Hardware 128bit AES, RNG generator (these 2 are a must for me wink.gif)

dont forget its the same chip as the peperpad, which means that most if not all the required patches are there

x.org wise it seems that in 7.2 or svn (of 7.2) there is support for video hardware on the chip with 2D acceleration (i assume hardware cursor, hardware rotation and hardware blt support, lower cpu overhead)

thats not to mention MMX and 3Dnow support (so thats how the do acceleration of WMV and DVD)

now moving onto the coprocessor (ie USB, IDE, Audio, LPC (think xbox modchip hack, more on this latter), it support acpi and apm, we are probelly more comfterble with APM and acpi dosent really bring much to the table (i dont think it can modulate its clock so acpi freq adjustment is most likly non exsistent)

good news is that it looks like software suspend will work quite well provided you partion properly (more on that latter) but i think suspend to ram would work welll for me (apm -s)

IDE wise it will do up to udma5 (100MB/s), im going to go out on a limb here and say that the CF card is on the ATA bus and therefore cant do CF/IO however from what i read it does support SDIO (its a software thing with a bit of hardware) which means 4bit SDIO. i dont belive this is supported by linux however. it remains to be seen. after all they might have a chip that does SD/MS/CF to USB in there

i assume wifi is on the pci bus and if so that simplifies things, else its usb and there is less support for usb than pci. im betting (and hoping) on a realtec chip. i am also assuming bluetooth is on the usb bus as it makes more sense form a driver perspective and would explain why there are only 2 usb ports on the outside

can anyone give me a lspci and lsusb output, otherwise mine should arive in the next two days and i will tell you then

it also looks like linux bios has support for both the cpu and the companion chip, meaning it should be able to boot the device. what this means is grub in flash or somthing like PXE in flash or FILO, which is basically LILO but dosent need a BIOS or etherboot

the LPC can be used to override flash (i belive) just like on the xbox, so if you want to shave some boot time without risk wink.gif anyway thats way off in the futre

as for the onscreen buttons, i mwouldnt be able to tell you if they are supported, same with teh LAN (but its a good bet that lan will just work), backligt i am not sure (this is backlight control not "will it turn on" so you can turn it on and off at will (or dim)

well thats about it cant wait to get my unit smile.gif
craigtyson
Anyone seen / heard of this :-

http://www.europe.htc.com/products/htcadvantage.html

Dunno the price though.

Specs:-

- Mobile Power Pad with detachable thin full keyboard
- Microsoft® Windows Mobile® 5.0 Pocket PC
Phone Edition
- 133.5mm (L) x 98mm(W) x 16mm(T)
Thickness with keyboard: 20 mm
- 359g with battery pack
- Intel® PXA270 624 MHz with ATI Graphic Chip W2284
- ROM: 256MB
- RAM: 128MB SDRAM
- HDD: 8GB
- 5” transmissive colour TFT-LCD, 640x480 dot pixel
VGA resolution
- Backlight LEDs
- Touch screen
- HSDPA/UMTS
(2100 MHz for Europe, 850/1900 MHz for USA)
- GSM/GPRS/EDGE
(quad-band, 850/900/1800/1900MHz)
- Main Camera
- 3 mega-pixel CMOS imaging sensor with autofocus
- 2nd Camera
- VGA CMOS imaging sensor
- High power LED for camera flash
- Built-in microphone
- Dual speakers
- Loud speaker for Hands-Free operation
- Bluetooth® v2.0
- Wi-Fi® 802.11b/g
- Internal GPS antenna
- 20 parallel channel GPS receiver
- 3V USIM/SIM card slot
- HTC ExtUSB™ (11-pin mini-USB 2.0 and
audio jack in one)
- HTC proprietary 16-pin combined port
(USB 1.1 host/VGA and TV Out)
- HTC VueFLO™ motion sensor assisted
browsing experience.
- miniSD™ card slot
- Battery
- Removable and rechargeable Lithium-ion
battery, 2200mAh
- AC adaptor
- Voltage range/frequency: 100~240V, 50/60Hz
- MMS and Java™ applications
- Smart Dialling and Voice Speed Dial
- Comm Manager
- AMR/AAC/WAV/WMA/MP3 codec
- Adobe Reader LE for PDF
- ZIP software and more
- Available in Black
- Travel charger / HTC ExtUSB™ sync. cable / Stereo
wired headset with microphone / Stylus / Battery /
Carrying Case
zmiq2
Da Blitz,

is that Kohjinska you are getting your pocket peguin project now ;-) ?

Where are you getting it from ?
Da_Blitz
the Kohjinska is basically the same as the PP laptop that i had in mind, but at the moment i need somthing a bit more portable where speed isnt an issue (size and wieght are as well as the ability to lug files around)

one advantage is i might venture to that undifined relm known as "outside" during a festival called "the middle of the day", im expecting the worst and got the Kohjinska so i would not be unprepared

anyway got it off Ebay for 899 + 79 shipping (the SA1F00B model, http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...0490&rd=1&rd=1)

anyway the PP project is more than the hardware, thats just the first stage wink.gif
Da_Blitz
well that was quick, 4 days from ordering to having it in my hands (Japan to Sydney Australia)

great unit, bit heavyier than i thought it wwould be however it will be lighter when i am done withit and it was easy to get used to it, keyboard was "difflent" harder than i was used to but i expect the stiffnes to be an advantage latter on

everything was set up with skype and firefox on the desktop (but not in the taskbar, only IE) which i was impressed about and drivers properly setup and drives nicly partioned

basically the attention to detail is incredabile, only problem was with wifi but encrypted networks and windows have never played nice for me

i was right about the realtech ethernet chip, but thats a given wink.gif

did notice that the 800x480 is not really high enough for most of the windows option boxes

Wifi is on USB, which makes sense from a turn off/on perspective as the AMD companion chip handels power to each port as well as data, meaning easier enabling and disabling of the hardware (and no hacks to enable and disable under linux such as GPIO twiddling), driver provider in windows is windbond, however i never even knew they made wirerless chipsets

Bluetooth is also on USB, which is very nice and handy, discovery was simple and easy (that bluetooth app they have is the best example i have seen to date)

for the CF, under windows it shows up as a PCMCIA card, so its not hanging off the IDE bus (which i should not have even mentioned, didnt think about IDE not bieng hotplugable)
fpp
Da Blitz :

What is that "PP laptop" projet you speak about ?

How do you go about "modding" such a battery ?

PS: about the large dialogs, you did see the Fn-Esc trick, right ?...
fpp
Also, what was the problem with Wifi ? I have a WPA-encrypted WLAN at home and the KJS work OK with it...
zmiq2
Da Blitz,

is CF IO? (can you plug a IO Cf Card in the CF compartment, let's say a GSM/GPRS or modem card?)
Da_Blitz
sorry i only have normal CF cards, i would be able to give you more info about if it is indeed CFIO capable however it turns out my USB DVD burner is dead (i belive i crushed it)

that FN+ESC trick is nice but i dont like the bluring

the WPA problem is several parts, it dosent detect encryption on my AP however i have WPA-TKIP running on it, if i enter the settings by hand then it connects alrigh but will drop out latter (my house is a big RF shield, never worked out why, i dont get mobile phone reception ethier) when this happens it detects my link as not having encryption and drops back to open authentication and overides the settings (ARghh, i have a 33 char password and its a pain to type twice on that keyboard, it takes me about 5 attempts)

as you can imagine it gets stuck at trying to connect to the encrypted network with settings for an unencrypted AP settingns

simple solution was a lan cable smile.gif

when it did connect it didnt handel dhcp adrsess assignment properly (i says properly because it seems only windows XP machnise cant obtain an IP, *nix and WinCE get one fine)

modding the battery involves pulling the battery pack appart and chucking in higher capacity battries, thees battries are more expensive than the ones they use and hence why they are not in the thing already (its about profits wink.gif)

the PP laptop project is an upsized PP PDA with heavier hardware (harddrive, bigger screen, crazy ram and battery, FPGA), but its a smal part of somthing much larger
fpp
Thanks for the clarifications -- just one last problem standing : I don't get what "PP" stands for :-)
Antikx
Pocket Penguin. smile.gif
fpp
Doh ! (slaps his head with a rubber brick)

Da_Blitz
bit of an update, the backlight buttons dont rely on the OS, which is nice

the joystick and touchpad "just work"

the wifi and bluetooth buttons are OS independent as well as the LEDs to turn them on and off

SD card is on SUB as a cdrom device (ie usb to removable storage), havent checked the CF yet but i belive this may be plugged into a chip on the pci bus

installing debian at the moment so expect a hardware compatability update and a optimised kernel soon
Capn_Fish
QUOTE(Da_Blitz @ Apr 13 2007, 07:39 PM)
bit of an update, the backlight buttons dont rely on the OS, which is nice

the joystick and touchpad "just work"

the wifi and bluetooth buttons are OS independent as well as the LEDs to turn them on and off

SD card is on SUB as a cdrom device (ie usb to removable storage), havent checked the CF yet but i belive this may be plugged into a chip on the pci bus

installing debian at the moment so expect a hardware compatability update and a optimised kernel soon

Finally somebody giving Linux on the K a hard look! I look forward to hearing how it goes.
Da_Blitz
well it looks like lots of TI chips (which have decent lin support)

seems debian loaded yenta support (cardbus), not sure if its 16bit or 32 bit but it looks promising, lspci says its a TI PCIxx12 cardbus controller, so it looks promising for usinga CF to PCMIA adaptor and bieng able to use it with 32 bit cardbus as well smile.gif

i was right about SD, the chip is a TI 5 in 1 card reader (SD MMC MS MS PRO xD), one nice thing is that the kernel picks it up as a SDHC controller, i will leave the rest to you to figure out wink.gif

there was sominthing about a compaq touch screen driver, but i wouldnt read too much into that

the one problem i am having is making the wifif show up, when i do tha majic key combo the light lights up but i get no recignition of anything chaning in the system, digging through the device manager in windows indicated it was on a USB bus which would make sense (4 usb ports on the companion chip, bluetooth on one, wifi on the other, 2 external) which is a bit of a problem (anyone have any ideas?)

under debain GDM dosent work "out of the box", i am going to try x.org.conf tweaking to see what i can do

anyway enjoy, at the moment i am sturuggling with my root password, which must have dropped a letter on both attempts without me relising it (stupid keyboard). so i hope to have that fixed soon

btw, the keyboard really does take time not only to break in but get used to, if your password is longer than 16 chars then go for somthing shorter or you will end up wasting as much time as i did (45 mins sad.gif)

Bluetooth is a cambridge device on usb and "just works" with linux (ohh yeah!!!)

sleep button and display switch button dont work as in windows (dosent matter to me, it works as a ~ instead which puts it in a better postion smile.gif)
cycle_55
QUOTE(Da_Blitz @ Apr 13 2007, 09:24 PM)
well it looks like lots of TI chips (which have decent lin support)

seems debian loaded yenta support (cardbus), not sure if its 16bit or 32 bit but it looks promising, lspci says its a TI PCIxx12 cardbus controller, so it looks promising for usinga CF to PCMIA adaptor and bieng able to use it with 32 bit cardbus as well smile.gif

i was right about SD, the chip is a TI 5 in 1 card reader (SD MMC MS MS PRO xD), one nice thing is that the kernel picks it up as a SDHC controller, i will leave the rest to you to figure out wink.gif

there was sominthing about a compaq touch screen driver, but i wouldnt read too much into that

the one problem i am having is making the wifif show up, when i do tha majic key combo the light lights up but i get no recignition of anything chaning in the system, digging through the device manager in windows indicated it was on a USB bus which would make sense (4 usb ports on the companion chip, bluetooth on one, wifi on the other, 2 external) which is a bit of a problem (anyone have any ideas?)

under debain GDM dosent work "out of the box", i am going to try x.org.conf tweaking to see what i can do

anyway enjoy, at the moment i am sturuggling with my root password, which must have dropped a letter on both attempts without me relising it (stupid keyboard). so i hope to have that fixed soon

btw, the keyboard really does take time not only to break in but get used to, if your password is longer than 16 chars then go for somthing shorter or you will end up wasting as much time as i did (45 mins sad.gif)

Bluetooth is a cambridge device on usb and "just works" with linux (ohh yeah!!!)

sleep button and display switch button dont work as in windows (dosent matter to me, it works as a ~ instead which puts it in a better postion smile.gif)

I have the same problem with wifi and was going to try and turn it on in the bios and see if it shows up then. I'll have to wait till tomorrow to try that.

cycle_55
Da_Blitz
time for another report

acpi works well, in fact it works flawlessly, i only tested it for detecting the screen bieng closed, battery, and temp but they work fine (thats all i needed), next is suspend to ram and disk but the suspend to disk can wait till i get my kernel out

the screen issue was me doing bad things with X, i enabled several resalutions, however it ranks them by size and of course i chose 1600x1200 as the max for testing, basically it dosent slide and it dosent like having the mode changed at all

debian detecteted and set it up as a vesa device which is fine but i should be able to get a bit more out of it down the track (performance wise, ie accelerated 2d draw)

reminds me i need to release a keyboard mapping as the default one has some notable ommisions (ie '|', which is annoying) there is nothing really that mapps nicly to it so it will be a custom job, at the moment i am using gb but its not and exact match, lucky for me those 2 japanese buttons next too the keyboard would make great buttons for prev/next VT (for those who know my Z's keyboard layout with those 5 buttons at the bottom)

one problem i do have is that VGA is always on, may not seem like much but it chews power. you may also want to note that it is not independent from the LCD screen, its one or the other or both but both must be at the same refresh and rez, hence the 1600x1200 limit when the hardware can do 1080p (over 2000)

still cant get wifi to work but that is somthing i cant work on till i crak the root password, bout to boot a live CD to change it. however before i had an encrypted partion on it which is a PITA unlses you are using the gentoo live CDs to work with

the reason bieng this thing has AES-128 acceleration, so its free security, unfortunattly debian dosent give you a choice of encryption settings so it takes a performance hit during installation and dosent included the reqired module by default (old kernel)

sound is recignised however i havent tested it and the basic cat to dsp dosent work (write error, invalid arg)

a nice tidbit is /dev/input, there are 7 event devices (0 to 6), 3 mice and 3 touch screens (?), turns out the touch screens are generated by the mice devices, i assume to give a fixed rather than reletive value (config option for TS is in the kernel and hard coded). so it isnt a touch screen its just mouse emulation of a touch screen)

cant wait to check out those event devices once i have root

signing off
Da_Blitz
just noticed the screen blanks automatically for the lcd on screen close, as it should wink.gif

thanks for ttat idea about wifi i will test it on reboot
Capn_Fish
In Ubuntu you only need your password to do a #sudo passwd root. I take it it's different in Debian? I've tried many of the major distros, but not Debian, so I don't know for sure.
fpp
Dave (Kopsis) has updated his blog with a device report listing in response to a query from someone here. He's not too optimistic about the Winbond chip...
Ling
For those who don't want to scroll through the entire thread, here is a link:

http://superdave.blogdns.org/superdave/
Da_Blitz
yep thats a proper pcmcia slot alright, just put a flash acrd in and it does the standard pcmcia autodetection stuff

looks like this thing has mmx2 as well as mmx and 3dnow as well as 3dnow2, turns out quake2 is VERY playable on this thing even with some of the graphics turned up smile.gif smile.gif, no native rez stuff but 800x600 is fine

monitor out seems stuck at 640x480, need to work out why but it can do that while the screen is at 800x600 (which looks alright to me, could be better but i just pretend i am getting free AA vertically without the performance hit

at the moment i am doing a benchmark of openssl speed before and after inserting aes-i586 (uses mmx or whatever) to see the diffrence, once i build my kernel then i will give the aes acceleration a go

when i compile my kernel i will geta couple of nice things, AES crypto processor, RNG (debian has this built in already) none of the uneeded IDE drivers and such (lean mean fighting machine smile.gif) and Geode FB support, which i am hoping will allow me to set abitry sizes so i can do 800x480 and then use X with a FB as the driver (no accelerated but better than vesa)

i must say that the new debian is very well polished for this machine, the acpi stuff works great and tells you how long your battery will last and how long it takes to charge with notifacation which i find handy, when bluetooth is enabled it notifies you and turns itself on, only problem is i am not running and services at the moment to make use of it, and the notification of network status is gerat, keep in mind that i havent every had linux on a laptop and so is all new and shiny

things that work
suspend 2 disk/hibernate (and works well!!!)
network
side rocker (its just a button on the keyboard)
hinge close detection (great with s2d
on screen mouse and keys (up and down is a keyboard button)
brightness (OS independent, very handy that ie works with dos wink.gif)
speakers
CF (its PCMCIA)
USB
video out (640x480 of whatever is on screen (ie it will down or upscale))
ethernet
on screen LEDs
bluetooth (works great, 12mbps device)

things that dont
suspend to ram
SD

things that need to be fixed
wifi
keyboard mapping
video output

i can see the wifi card with hal-device-manager however it is stuck there (even if disabled, leading me to think there is more too it, well no problem i can rip it out quite eisaly and wire in a linux supported one, i think i prefer cat5 anyway

btw anyone know where winbond puts its wifi chipset info?, i am begining to think its just a rebranded chipset but until i can activate it i cant be sure
fpp
Da Blitz, this is all very encouraging. I hope Wifi doesn't turn out to be a showstopper, and you can turn all this into an usable distro for us lamerz out there, so we can get rid of XP or at least double-boot :-)

Thanks for your work,
fp
Da_Blitz
Well i have been playing a bit more now

sound is working sort of, the headphone sockets on the front don't work but the speakers do, not sure why. however when you put the headphones in the speakers are disabled. quick side note, its a realtek alc55 and suprorts spidf out, hopefully through the headphone jack but woudnt hold my breath

to get sound working you need to set up your .asoundrc to upmix al input to 48000hz as the chiponly supports this output and apps wil fai otherwise completewith wired cryptic error messages

just found an old cf wifi card i thought didn't work as i had problems with on the Z however it was detected just fine

looks like suspend to ram works, its just gnome cant do it properly. don't know why but doing it from the command line works

typing this on the sa as we speak, keybaord still sucks.takes alot of pressure on the buttons to make sure the keys are recognized

cpu wise this thing isnt bad, takes awhile to load a slashdot page with lots of comments hwoeveri dont mid waiting and you can do some things such as killing off flash and adds to greatly speed things up or use the txt based slashdot theme

so next thing is to compile a custom kernel to get the benifts of things like the crypto processor and that should fix the video out stuff, wil start that when i solder in a new power butto for the PC, of all the things to fail why did it have t be that
Da_Blitz
i have one last tip for anyone else who wants to use gnome, put those bars that are on the top ad bottom of the screen on the sides of the screen, you getmore verticale room and it makes it more 4:3 ike a normal monitor

i guess the same applies to widows with the start menu, give it an hour or two of web browsing and you will appreciate it
dougeeebear
Da Blitz,
If I remove the 7 screws on the bottom of my Kohjinsha, will the bottom come off without disturbing any of the inside components?
The reason I'm asking is I want to replace the 40GB hard drive with a higher capacity one.

I wonder if that would void the warranty.

Thanks,
Doug
fpp
QUOTE(Da_Blitz @ Apr 17 2007, 04:16 AM)
i have one last tip for anyone else who wants to use gnome, put those bars that are on the top ad bottom of the screen on the sides of the screen, you getmore verticale room and it makes it more 4:3 ike a normal monitor
i guess the same applies to widows with the start menu, give it an hour or two of web browsing and you will appreciate it

That's a good tip, I've been doing just that for almost 12 years, ever since Windows95 came out :-)

Even 4:3 screens have always been wider than high, while most content we view is higher than wide, so it has always eluded me why UI designers insist on making those tool/task/launch bars horizontal, eating up valuable vertical real estate...
Da_Blitz
thanks for reminding me, i forgot to void the warenty

i have yet to pull the thing apart, i really need to find the pics f the inside again before i do it so i can do some planning

the other reason for not doing it is i just had a minor coolant leakage over my video card, nothing major but there is a 50 50 chance that card is a write off, i am confident it ill work as i caught it within moments of it happening. as you can iagine i dont want 2 brokn machines at the same time

i am hoping to replce the HD with flash, i ran sme pwoer calculations and found that flash uses at least 50% less electicity, not to mention eliminatig that clicking, i haveyet to play with laptop mode hoowever. first i eed to find the /proc flag to dmp file ioo accsess so i can sse whats syncig (i am assumng syslog-ng)
desertrat
QUOTE(fpp @ Apr 17 2007, 08:46 PM)
it has always eluded me why UI designers insist on making those tool/task/launch bars horizontal, eating up valuable vertical real estate...
I like to see what tasks I have in my taskbar, also I like to be able to see the clock. As you can see from the screenshots, neither are legible when taskbar is vertical.
Da_Blitz
i am pleased to announce that i have got sound working, meaning if you disable suspend on hinge close and map the volume slider to net/prev track then it becomes a nice media player (i use mpd)

basiacally i had to use alsamixer to enable "duplicate front' (haha, just found the pipe and " buttons), PCM is the master volume, master is the speakers and surround is the headphones, being able to have the speakers and headphones at 2 different volumes and being able to mute ethier or both is very handy

dontforget to set output to 48000hz in the program or .asoundrc

as for my desktop, i have included a pic. i tried gdesklets but was unhappy with the very high cpu usage ad over 170MB of ram usage for 4 applets

also i like firefox's spell check so expect an improvement n spelling, that and the keyboard finally beginning to be broken n means i will be using this device alot more

files will be up soon (kernel, x.org xorg.conf, asoundrc, keymap for console and X, and others (what did i forget?)

also included my current sa setup, still polishing it but it gives me the stats i what (notification of music change, eth plug in and out, power including charge and discharge time, message notification and to top it off cpu and hard drive temp (very handy)) the start menu in the top left is the gnome 'smart start menu" aka main menu and the bottom left is the window selector applet,its nice as it displays a link for each program on every virtual desktop, not just the one you are on and its small so i replaced the task bar with it. maxes switching virtual desktops easier

i expect now that i have sound working that i sh ould have a bit of extra motivation to do the other stuff wink.gif. adding matchbox and running stuff similar to the Z is my next goal after full hardware support

and finally some extra productivity hints fr size constrained keyboards, my setup is F1 - xterm, F2 - Maximise program, F3 - web browser, F4 - (alt + F4) close app, F5 - F8 switch between virtuap desktps. if you know you app names well then i would change F3 t a "run command" app

enjoy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.