Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Zaurus Successor?
OESF Forums > General Forums > General Support and Discussion > New products and alternatives
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
matrix200
Thanks for all the replies guys!
I don't think my card is type II
I have read the CF specs and apparently the only difference between TYPE I and TYPE II is width and all other dimensions are the same.
My wifi card seems to be the same width as all my regular memory cards so I guess it should fit in just fine.
So Da_Blitz it worked for you under linux too?
Da_Blitz
never tested it under windows wink.gif

i belive the cf2 spec calls for higher power draw, hence why the form factor is diffrent (so you cant plug a higher current device in)
matrix200
Not according to http://www.compactflash.org/faqs/faq.htm
They say that the only difference between type I and type II is dimensions while electrically they are the same.
Anyway gotta wait for my trip now and hope I will find the device in Sim Lin square stores smile.gif
Snappy
ok, here in Singapore, I can confirm that the Kohjinsha appeared at the iKnown store under PA Mart in a world book fair in Suntec.

Two models: Black 40gb, White 100gb
Both: 512mb, touch-screen 7" *LED* backlight etc.

Only complain I have is that the keyboard ... is very stiff and small. It's more like the size of a Jornada keyboard, but stiffer. It would be more touch-typeable if it were softer. Maybe using it for a while will loosen it up, I don't know.

4-5hr batt life ... supposedly anyway.

Hope I'm not writing things that you already know.

oh, did I mention, that it has a promo price of SGD$1050 for the black unit and SGD$1199 for the white unit? Converts to 687.623 USD and
785.200 USD respectively.

Still deliberating on getting it. If the keyboard is nicer and I'm not so used to my notebooks, I would have gotten it already.

It's nice and all ... too bad, they did not install any tablet related app to really show off the tablet mode. It comes with WindowsXP Home, and not XPTablet. Installing Office is supposed to make hand recognition work.
ZDevil
Here are the specs in short FYI:

CPU: AMD® Geode™ -LX800
Cache: 64KB instruction cache +64KB data cache
Graphics: AMD® Geode™ CS5536 (+ 8MB video RAM)
RAM: PC2700 (SODIMM DDR333): 512MB or 1GB (1 slot)
Display: 7-inch 800x480 touchscreen TFT LCD
Input: 77 key Japanese keyboards, touchscreen, stick pointer, scroll button and mouse button
LAN: 10BASE-T/100BASE-TX
Wireless LAN: IEEE802.11b/g
Bluetooth 2.0+EDR
Sound: Realtek AC'97 Audio, Built-in stereo speaker, Built-in microphone and brightness setting button,
External memory: 3In1 media card slot, SD memory card (SDHC & SDIO !), Memory stick/MMC card, CF card slot (Type-1)
USB: 2.0 x1
Video output: Analog CRT port ×1
Standard battery: Lithium ion battery (11.1V 2600mAH)
Drive time: ~ 5 hour
Charge time: ~ 2.2 hours
Power consumption: The maximum time 60W, usually the time at the time of 15W/economical electric power at the time of 2W and waiting under 2W
Dimensions: 218mm (W) x 163mm (D) x 25.4mm (H)
Weight: 990g (with battery)
fpp
A couple of questions about the touchscreen version :

- does the tactile digitizer noticeably degrade the display compared to the original non-touchscreen SA1 ?

- when the new version first appeared, there was a rumour on a forum over here that maybe the touchscreen was something special that required the stylus provided by KJS to work with. This came from a board member who only had the unit in hand for a few moments, and was unable to use the screen with his fingers or the stylus of his own PDA. Can anyone confirm or deny this ?

TIA,
fp
Snappy
QUOTE(fpp @ May 27 2007, 11:41 PM)

- does the tactile digitizer noticeably degrade the display compared to the original non-touchscreen SA1 ?

- when the new version first appeared, there was a rumour on a forum over here that maybe the touchscreen was something special that required the stylus provided by KJS to work with. This came from a board member who only had the unit in hand for a few moments, and was unable to use the screen with his fingers or the stylus of his own PDA. Can anyone confirm or deny this ?

TIA,
fp

AFA the ones I tested at the bookfair are concerned, I had no non-touchscreen SA1s to compare with, but the ones I tested were pretty bright and crisp.

I can use my fingers and finger nails on the screen. Actually, I probably used my nails as I've always been on my PDAs and Zaurus.

Why? Oh Why must the keyboard be so stiff ... sad.gif
cycle_55
QUOTE(Snappy @ May 27 2007, 05:10 PM)

TIA,
fp

AFA the ones I tested at the bookfair are concerned, I had no non-touchscreen SA1s to compare with, but the ones I tested were pretty bright and crisp.

I can use my fingers and finger nails on the screen. Actually, I probably used my nails as I've always been on my PDAs and Zaurus.

Am I the only one that doesn't have a problem with this keyboard? There must be something wrong with me.... smile.gif

cycle_55

I keep forgetting that this is an international forum and should have written "does not" instead of "doesn't".
Snappy
Anyone else have (no) problem with the keyboard?
rickh
QUOTE(cycle_55 @ May 28 2007, 01:26 AM)
QUOTE(Snappy @ May 27 2007, 05:10 PM)

TIA,
fp

Am I the only one that doesn't have a problem with this keyboard? There must be something wrong with me.... smile.gif

cycle_55

Obviously you're not the only one, since the last comment was a complaint on the keyboard.

Complaining for the sake of complaining accomplishes nothing.

R.
==
freizugheit
Following Snappy's reply, I went to the show room of

Personal Automation Mart Pte Ltd (P.A. Mart Pte Ltd)
109, North Bridge Road #04-18
Funan The IT Mall Singapore 179097
Tel: (+65) 6338 3530 Fax: (+65) 6338 3532

to test drive the Kohjinsha SA1F00W (S$1,198 =US$790)

The black version, Kohjinsha SA1F00V (S41,049 = US$690),

is not available for testing.

The salesman was asking me to pre-order and said that it was selling like a hot cake ever since the news was published on the local Sunday Times on 27/05. The new stock should be available on 29/5. When I saw the latest Compaq notebook running at 1.7GHz costing about S$1,299, I held back my purchase.

When asked whether the company planned to introduce the machine during the forthcoming PC Show at Singapore Suntec City Convention Centre from 31/5 - 3/6. The salesman said that they might want to do so. Normally, you will expect big discounts or good deals for every IT devices during the trade fair.

The following were my observation during testing:

I could feel the heat emitting from the demo set that is running by the adaptor.

The TFT colour screen was not so sharp as expected.

The keyboard is indeed not suitable for those who have big fingers.
desertrat
I keep forgetting that this is an international forum and should have written "does not" instead of "doesn't".
This is a new one to me. Are you implying that non-native English speakers (readers) aren't (are not smile.gif) familiar with the apostrophe abbreviations? If so that is something I wasn't (was not) aware of.
fpp
Thanks freizugheit &others for the quick feedback on my questions.

Oh, and I do have issues with the keyboard too :-)
Apparently something can be done about that, see the latest post in Kopsis' blog, or the SA1 Google Group.
Antikx
Is the Kohjinsha capable of running Vista?
It's my understanding that M$ won't be allowing OEM XP by the end of the year. I expect to see hardware specs for UMPC's to jump soon if not already.
cycle_55
QUOTE(desertrat @ May 28 2007, 01:07 AM)
This is a new one to me. Are you implying that non-native English speakers (readers) aren't (are not smile.gif) familiar with the apostrophe abbreviations? If so that is something I wasn't (was not) aware of.

I apologize if I insulted anyone, that was not my intention. It is my understanding that translation engines are not able to deal with the apostrophe, and the next poster appeared to misunderstand my question.

cycle_55
chal
QUOTE(desertrat @ May 28 2007, 09:07 AM)

Me too. I thought that was only true of androids.

edit: In light of the post above, I should say and translators.
freizugheit

Have a look at the minimum system requirement for Windows Vista.

BTW, I forgot to mention that the Kohjinsha SA1F00W or V does not come with an external CD-ROM drive. Hence you need pocket about US$100 to purchase a USB CD-ROM drive.
kopsis
QUOTE(freizugheit @ May 28 2007, 08:06 PM)

Have a look at the minimum system requirement for Windows Vista.

BTW, I forgot to mention that the Kohjinsha SA1F00W or V does not come with an external CD-ROM drive. Hence you need pocket about US$100 to purchase a USB CD-ROM drive.

I think Antikx was really wondering if Kohjinsha will, at some point, start shipping SA1s with some flavor of Vista pre-installed. But I suspect that by the time Microsoft gets really serious about not letting OEMs ship XP (even on hardware that doesn't meet Vista min requirements), Kohjinsha will have a new machine out that replaces the SA1 (my guess would be about this time next year).

I really can't see any good reason for installing Vista on an SA1 that already has XP. You wouldn't get the Aero UI (no 3D graphics chip) and I suspect what you would get would run slower than molasses in January smile.gif

But if you do need an external optical drive for installing something more useful (like Linux), $25 for an IDE/USB enclosure and $5 for a flea-market 5.25" CD-ROM drive will do the trick. You can get by even cheaper if you do what I did and find a really good sale on a 3.5" enclosure and just duct tape its guts to an old CD-ROM drive (yes, I did watch a few too many episodes of MacGyver as a kid) smile.gif
Da_Blitz
But if you do need an external optical drive for installing something more useful (like Linux), $25 for an IDE/USB enclosure and $5 for a flea-market 5.25" CD-ROM drive will do the trick. You can get by even cheaper if you do what I did and find a really good sale on a 3.5" enclosure and just duct tape its guts to an old CD-ROM drive (yes, I did watch a few too many episodes of MacGyver as a kid)

you may laugh at that however thats what i did, funny thing is i did it all with a swiss army knife as well

one thing i have always wanted to try is netboot + grub. appartentlly there is a way to setup a netboot server so that it boots grub that then presents you iwth a achoice of OS's to install. if you change OS's, do virtulaisation or any other funky stuff where you have to install a bit it could be nice

or my faviorte trick, knoopix + qemu + kqemu + windows install. install windows to the local drive while surfing the net!!!... some assembly reqiuired
fpp
QUOTE(kopsis @ May 28 2007, 07:40 PM)
But if you do need an external optical drive for installing something more useful (like Linux), $25 for an IDE/USB enclosure and $5 for a flea-market 5.25" CD-ROM drive will do the trick.

When I first received mine I was in a hurry so I borrowed an external DVD burner from a friend, it was litterally huge and bigger than the SA1 itself :

http://www.monbo.net/KJS/KJS-SA1-CDROM.jpg

Later I dug into my treasure chest and found a "slimline" plain CD reader that came from an old laptop. I shopped around and found an enclosure specially made for those by ICY-BOX (about 25$). This is more in line with the SA1 size and looks, plus it's powered by the USB port if you really need it :

http://www.monbo.net/KJS/KJS-SA1-KB.jpg

You can get by even cheaper if you do what I did and find a really good sale on a 3.5" enclosure and just duct tape its guts to an old CD-ROM drive (yes, I did watch a few too many episodes of MacGyver as a kid) smile.gif

Well, it's good of you to own up to that, but after that hairbrush-bristles-in-the-keyboard hack job, it was more or less public knowledge already, right ? :-)
Da_Blitz
i remeber someone talking about changing the hard driev with a CF card and getting incresed battery life, not sure if it was here or the mailing list but can anyone give me nummbers on how much more battery life they got out of it, should have a 16GB CF card comming in this week and depending how it goes its goiung in the Z or the kohjinsha
speculatrix
QUOTE(Da_Blitz @ May 31 2007, 02:36 PM)
i remeber someone talking about changing the hard driev with a CF card and getting incresed battery life, not sure if it was here or the mailing list but can anyone give me nummbers on how much more battery life they got out of it, should have a 16GB CF card comming in this week and depending how it goes its goiung in the Z or the kohjinsha

I'm hoping that SDHC will come to the Z, in which case you could fit a 16GB sdhc card, then with an internal 16GB cf card you've have a pretty mighty Zaurus!
Capn_Fish
QUOTE(speculatrix @ May 31 2007, 09:36 AM)

I'm hoping that SDHC will come to the Z, in which case you could fit a 16GB sdhc card, then with an internal 16GB cf card you've have a pretty mighty Zaurus!

I don't see how storage alone makes the Z mighty. I think a RAM or CPU upgrade would be necessary to make the Z mightier than it already is for me.
adf
QUOTE(Capn_Fish @ May 31 2007, 06:15 PM)
QUOTE(speculatrix @ May 31 2007, 09:36 AM)

I don't see how storage alone makes the Z mighty. I think a RAM or CPU upgrade would be necessary to make the Z mightier than it already is for me.

That'd depend entirely on how it is used, I expect. otoh more ram would have been nice
Snappy
I don't know how long more I can resist getting one ... I think I might crumble this weekend and just get one. Heck with the keyboard ... I guess it will 'soften' over time?
cycle_55
QUOTE(Snappy @ May 31 2007, 04:12 PM)
I don't know how long more I can resist getting one ... I think I might crumble this weekend and just get one. Heck with the keyboard ... I guess it will 'soften' over time?

Do not fear the keyboard.... smile.gif There is of course a chance that not all the keyboards are exactly the same and maybe mine is the only one like this. Mine is fine and if it were not, I would ask them to send me another one. The amount of pressure I have to apply to any one key is not that much different than on the C3100. The key travels further than a key on the Z but the amount of pressure is only marginally different. The key has to be pressed dead center otherwise nothing is registered which is what one would want on a small keyboard when touch typing. Pressing off center or two keys at once registers nothing instead of the wrong letter. Other than the Z, this has got to be the most useful laptop I have ever owned. For what it is worth these are my thoughts after using mine everyday for a few months. Good luck.

cycle_55
Da_Blitz
it takes awhile to break in and i find having my hands come down from a more vertical postion helps, putting the back up a bit helps to reduce mistakes but for real work i jsut vnc into it or ssh

its not bad but i wouldnt want to use it as my primary keyboard
Snappy
Thanks for the encouragement! smile.gif
I'm probably going to retire one of my notebooks and see how it can replace my zaurus.

QUOTE(cycle_55 @ Jun 1 2007, 12:15 PM)
QUOTE(Snappy @ May 31 2007, 04:12 PM)

Do not fear the keyboard.... smile.gif There is of course a chance that not all the keyboards are exactly the same and maybe mine is the only one like this. Mine is fine and if it were not, I would ask them to send me another one. The amount of pressure I have to apply to any one key is not that much different than on the C3100. The key travels further than a key on the Z but the amount of pressure is only marginally different. The key has to be pressed dead center otherwise nothing is registered which is what one would want on a small keyboard when touch typing. Pressing off center or two keys at once registers nothing instead of the wrong letter. Other than the Z, this has got to be the most useful laptop I have ever owned. For what it is worth these are my thoughts after using mine everyday for a few months. Good luck.

cycle_55

kopsis
The stiffness of the keyboard isn't that hard to get used to. It will soften slightly over time but it will always feel stiff if you come back to it after using a regular laptop KB. The issues I had with it (layout and dropping keys) are both fixable with a small investment of time and money.

But even before I fixed the KB, I used my SA1 every day. The capability and convenience more than outweighs any minor usability flaws smile.gif
Snappy
I'll tell ya ... this is one hell of a gadget!

Left it in suspend mode after fully recharging it ... it dropped only 10% batt after five hours of suspend ... *grin*

Will have to try 12 hours suspend to see if it survive.

The keyboard on the unit I got turn out to be softer than the demo unit. woo hoo ...

btw, besides getting Portrait Pivot Pro to rotate the screen display, does anyone know how to activate the screen rotation? I'm referring to rotating the visual display to show portrait and landscape mode and not transforming the unit from clamshell to tablet.

I see from the graphics display properties (AMD Geode) that there is such a function, but is grayed out. I've signed up with AMD as an embedded developer to get the latest graphics drivers. Wonder if it will help.

Ideas?
cycle_55
QUOTE(Snappy @ Jun 2 2007, 05:05 PM)

Left it in suspend mode after fully recharging it ... it dropped only 10% batt after five hours of suspend ... *grin*

The keyboard on the unit I got turn out to be softer than the demo unit. woo hoo ...

btw, besides getting Portrait Pivot Pro to rotate the screen display, does anyone know how to activate the screen rotation? I'm referring to rotating the visual display to show portrait and landscape mode and not transforming the unit from clamshell to tablet.

I see from the graphics display properties (AMD Geode) that there is such a function, but is grayed out. I've signed up with AMD as an embedded developer to get the latest graphics drivers. Wonder if it will help.

Ideas?

Glad you like it....I hardly ever turn mine off, I just always have it on standby.

cycle_55
Da_Blitz
I used to run linux in standby on teh thing till i had the drive resume problems, but do you guys get a ranbow effect show up on the screen for about 2 or 3 seconds on resume?

just wondering if the resume behavior between linux and windows is the same

btw suspend to disk works great still, its only suspend to ram. and unfortunattly i never got suspend to disk and ram working at the same time so taht if the battery does run out you can suspend from the drive
dougeeebear
I can see where it would use battery on standby, but not on hibernate, although mine seems like it might be doing that.
I'm running the original Windows XP on it.
I haven't had time to try Linux on it yet.

Also try this...
- Set the screen brightness at a setting lower than full brightness.
- Turn the unit off.
- Remove and replace the battery.
- Turn the unit back on.

What is the brightness setting now?
On mine, it always goes to full brightness.
This tells me the battery is used to maintain the brightness setting when turned off.
I wonder what else drains the battery that we're not aware of.
kopsis
QUOTE(Snappy @ Jun 2 2007, 08:05 PM)

It should ... mine's gone 48 hours on suspend (though that was before I upgraded the RAM to 1 GB). The only time my SA1 gets turned off is disassembly and air travel smile.gif
Snappy
QUOTE(cycle_55 @ Jun 3 2007, 09:59 AM)
QUOTE(Snappy @ Jun 2 2007, 05:05 PM)

Ideas?

Glad you like it....I hardly ever turn mine off, I just always have it on standby.

cycle_55

Well ... I left it for a further 12 hours of suspend and it has 56% of batt ...
This is excellent news!
Snappy
QUOTE(Da_Blitz @ Jun 3 2007, 10:53 AM)
I used to run linux in standby on teh thing till i had the drive resume problems, but do you guys get a ranbow effect show up on the screen for about 2 or 3 seconds on resume?

just wondering if the resume behavior between linux and windows is the same

btw suspend to disk works great still, its only suspend to ram. and unfortunattly i never got suspend to disk and ram working at the same time so taht if the battery does run out you can suspend from the drive

Which distro did u use? I might try ubuntu on it sometime ...
Snappy
If it does hibernation correctly, it should be as good as a shutdown, except that it stores an image of the system and sets a flag so that the startup sequence loads up the resume image to memory and move off from where it stopped instead of a fresh boot.

So everything should be turned off ... although some settings like "wakeup on lan" etc may and should drain power ...

QUOTE(dougeeebear @ Jun 3 2007, 07:51 PM)
I can see where it would use battery on standby, but not on hibernate, although mine seems like it might be doing that.
I'm running the original Windows XP on it.
I haven't had time to try Linux on it yet.

Also try this...
- Set the screen brightness at a setting lower than full brightness.
- Turn the unit off.
- Remove and replace the battery.
- Turn the unit back on.

What is the brightness setting now?
On mine, it always goes to full brightness.
This tells me the battery is used to maintain the brightness setting when turned off.
I wonder what else drains the battery that we're not aware of.
Snappy
QUOTE(kopsis @ Jun 3 2007, 10:21 PM)
QUOTE(Snappy @ Jun 2 2007, 08:05 PM)

It should ... mine's gone 48 hours on suspend (though that was before I upgraded the RAM to 1 GB). The only time my SA1 gets turned off is disassembly and air travel smile.gif

Fabulous! ... that is excellent news!

Just wondering out loud ...

1. Is it just my machine or setting, but is it that you can only have either the LCD or external monitor activated and not both together?

2. Any way to activate screen rotation without Portrait Pivot Pro?

3. Dial keys. Any way to install it to trial before buying them ... if it's possible at all?
Da_Blitz
i can see why the battery would drop on hibernate, most lose power over time.

the distro i am using is debian, give ubuntu a go if you want but i dont mind getting my hands a bit dirty (in fact i had ho to get suspend working, onec you know how its a one liner)
fpp
An interesting new entry coming up :
http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/breaking/oqo-ch...ller-265892.php

Very similar to the SA1 with some significant pluses :

- more powerful (VIA C7 1.2 Ghz) with similar autonomy (4.5 hrs)
- touch screen
- native Linux support
- price (600$ target)
- and above all, mainstream availability : distributed in Europe (by Packard Bell) and in the US. No more gray market and imports :-)

We'll see if and when this come true...
gr8ful
Interesting newcomer indeed. I love the options that are starting to appear on the market. In another few months I'm going to have a hard time choosing which platform will replace my C1000.
fpp
Yup. I'm all the happier to have my little SA1 (which I'm posting this on, connected through cell phone), to tide me over till next year :-)
Snappy
Now that we are really spoilt for choices, does anyone know where a docking station can be found for the Kohjinsha?
ZDevil
Nice review of Kohjinsha II here!

http://www.blogger.com/feeds/8733547468848...3/posts/default
Da_Blitz
for those not subscirbed to the kohjinsha mailing list here is some info i have come across, i may have also discovered a thing or two on the mobo anyway

Im currently running power tests on the device and very nicly asking the
battery for its power disipation (turns out acpi can be handy)

anyway attached are the power consumption figures including with the
wifi board removed (there is enough room for just about any usb wifi
card you can think of in there, im removing it and putting a Linux
friendly one in there)

Backlight Tests, Idle:
Backlight Min 480mW
Backlight 2 493mW
Backlight 3 509mW
Backlight 4 532mW
Backlight 5 561mW
Backlight 6 570mW
Backlight 7 586mW
Backlight Max 596mW

Full Load Tests:
* ls -laR / (hitting the drive)
Backlight Min 636mW
Backlight Min 766mW
* ls -laR /proc
Backlight Min 609mW

Idle Backlight Min:
Wifi On 482mW
Wifi Off 480mW
Wifi Removed 445mW

Bluetooth Off 440mW
Bluetooth On 460mW
Bluetooth Scanning 467mW

as you can see it appears the wifi card is in low power mode at all
times (i assumed as much, Linux noticed that its always present
regardless of the on/off state) but what is nice about it is the power
savings gained by removing it.

looking at a typical battery (and i assume thats what i have) we have a
capacity of 2530mWH, for an idle load with low backlight thats 5.27H (5
hours 16 Minutes). a 10mW saving represents 6 minutes battery life
approx. so by dropping the wifi module i have gained 24minutes battery life

thats fine for the moment as i am using Linux and at teh moment the wifi
card dosent work for me. this will soon change and i will have to redo
the tests, however its interesting to look at teh running time for the
backlight

Max: 5.27H
Min: 4.24H

so for an idle load i lose about an hour for maxing the backlight, under
load however things get worse

Max: 3.3h (766mW + 100mW (backlight, based of idle load))
Min: 2.9h (766mW + 100mW (backlight, based of idle load))

so a Hitting the drive while pegged at 100% with the backlight maxed out
vs low backlight, sitting idle not wirting to disk gives you an extra 2.37H

it seems that having bluetooth on reduces running time by about 12
Minutes, i have offset this with the wifi so i might just leave it on
all the time and set it up to connect using bluetooth to my phone for 3G
net access

don't worry this is drawing to a close

My next test will be posted in the next few days, it consists of several
parts.
* The effects of replacing the Hard drive with a CF card, both under
idle and full load (sustained read and write)
* The new tickless kernel
* If possible shutting down the external monitor out. after seeing a
talk on x.org and randr i have found out that some motherboards waste
alot of power on those sockets when its not even plugged in
* New handhelds.org power related stuff for shutting down the sound
CODEC when not in use
* Power usage when ethernet is disabled

have fun with those numbers, the only one i cant do is wifi related
power usage when wifi is active (and optionally transferring data)
because i have not set up the driver
ZDevil
So are you saying you're dumping Kohjinsha and falling back on Zaurus? smile.gif
dougeeebear
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Jun 8 2007, 12:36 PM)
So are you saying you're dumping Kohjinsha and falling back on Zaurus?  smile.gif
I never gave up the Zaurus, I still have my C1000 and use it all the time.
speculatrix
QUOTE(Da_Blitz @ Jun 7 2007, 01:06 PM)
Im currently running power tests on the device and very nicly asking the
battery for its power disipation (turns out acpi can be handy)

very interesting. I will have to try some similar power saving techniques on my Sony TX2; interestingly, the physical switch DOES appear to disconnect the bluetooth adaptor.

BTW, I found that putting a bluetooth version 2 adaptor onto my linux firewall gave me MUCH faster internet browsing speed from my laptop than when using the older bt v1 adaptor... up from 256 kbps to 700+ kbps, and of course much lower power than wifi.

on the Z, using bluetooth to surf the net seemed only barely slower because the bottleneck is the Z's ability to render pages; that said, Angstrom and Minimo is quite snappy over wifi and I haven't got bluetooth working to compare it with sad.gif
Snappy
Surprised to hear your choice.
Not doubting you, but just wondering if you were referring to the screen in native 800x480 or 800x600 or the 1024x600 mode?

800x480 is crystal clear and definitely has larger fonts than c1000.

Granted I got the touch-screen version ... wink.gif

QUOTE(dougeeebear @ Jun 9 2007, 12:46 AM)
*** I'm Selling My Kohjinsha ***

After much soul-searching I've decided to sell my Kohjinsha.
It's the black 40GB model and it's in mint condition.
It does NOT have a touch-screen.
I purchased it from Conics in March, so there's lots of warranty left on it.
I checked with Brett and he said the warranty would be transferrable to a new owner.

This is the email reply I received from Brett:
Hi Doug,

sure, no problem.

the warranty is on the hardware, not the owner.
(as long as the new owner mentions you if requesting warranty service)

regards,
-Brett

Doug wrote:
> Hi Brett,
>
> I bought a Kohjinsha computer from you in March of this year.
> Now I think I am going to sell it.
> I would like to know it the warranty would be transferrable to a new
owner.
>
> Regards,
> Doug

I have everything that came with it:
- AC Power supply for the USA.
- Battery
- The original box
- All the original books
- DVD with restoration archive and drivers
- Protective cover
- Warranty papers

Reasons for selling:
- The screen is really awesome, but the small fonts are hard for me to see.
- I hate the keyboard layout and feel.
- It's nowhere near as convenient to carry around as my Zaurus smile.gif

I'm asking $750.00 which includes fully insured shipping by UPS to anywhere in the USA.
The only method of payment I am able to take is cashiers check or money order from a US bank or post office.

Doug

Da_Blitz
yeah the real killer is bluetooth 1.0 speed, my phone only has 1.0 and when i use it as a modem for teh kohjinsha i dont get the full speed (usb requires a kernel module from outside mainline)

what did you mean about the physical switch disconnecting bluetooth? i assume you ment that the button combo turns off the bluetooth modiule so it dosent draw power.

the one i am intrested in is if under windows the buttons turn off the wifi module and put it into low power mode, if it does then it may just be a firmware issue under linux preventing it from tuning off compleattly
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.