Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Zaurus Successor?
OESF Forums > General Forums > General Support and Discussion > New products and alternatives
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
fpp
QUOTE(speculatrix @ Nov 15 2006, 02:22 AM)
QUOTE(nilch @ Nov 15 2006, 03:34 AM)
Talking about the 770, what happened to the 2nd iteration of the 770 that was rumoured/suposed to be coming soon ?

turned out to be a misinformed rumour about the 330 GPS unit.

The first one did, indeed. But since then there have been quite a few facts popping up here and there (a page on the FCC Website, hints on the developers' mailing list, a recent OS update with stuff in the kernel for hardware that isn't in the 770, etc.) that point to a major hardware upgrade just around the bend. I just hope it's in time for Christmas :-)
mars
QUOTE(kopsis @ Nov 15 2006, 07:01 PM)
. . . needs to offer something more such as a bigger screen, better software compatibility (i.e. x86 based), huge hard drive, etc.

How about a pepperpad then? USB 2.0, 20 GB drive, X86 compatible (geode processor with Fedora Core 4), wifi, bluetooth, 7in 800x480 screen, USD700 on amazon, and *not* pocketable.
kopsis
QUOTE(mars @ Nov 15 2006, 04:02 PM)
How about a pepperpad then?

I like the PP3 hardware, though I do wish they included more RAM and a bigger HD. I know those components are theoretically upgradable, but then one has to factor in the upgrade costs.

On a side note, I really wish companies would quit integrating !@#$% webcams into devices. It's bad enough that when I get a new phone I have to void the warranty the first day by ripping the stupid camera out. I hate having to do the same on a considerably more expensive gadget. I'm sure I can't be the only person working for a company that doesn't permit cameras in the office.

I appreciate all the suggestions, but the bottom line is that the Kohjinsha is pretty close to the perfect device for my (admitedly peculiar) needs. I think I'll give it a shot and see how it works out. If I don't like it, there's always Ebay smile.gif If Conics can get me hooked up in early Dec, I should have time to write a pretty detailed review over the holidays. Stay tuned.
zmiq2
I like the kohjinsha for x86 compatibility and no-fans, and huge RAM and price, but the screen it's a little too big.

I'm also considering and so waiting for the next oqo, and/or nokia 770 which seem to appear soon. I'd be willing to wait for a new Zaurus, but that's not even vaporware.

Kopsis, make sure to take some photos of the K next to the Z!!
kahm
I've got a Kohjinsha on order from Conics for a friend of mine, and we've done quite a bit of research on it. Interesting fact - the Raon Vega, Kohjinsha, and Pepperpad 3 all run the same basic hardware platform (Geode LX800 processor + chipset, 800x480 screens.) The chipset handles video and most IO.

This gives us a lot more info to go on.

1) Linux Compatibility - Excellent. The pepperpad 3 is linux.

2) Performance - I think it was around a PII-300 for integer performance.

3) Video - 2D only, and they mean it. No DirectX/3D support, period. They apparently couldn't get iTunes to run on the Vega because of it.

4) Movies - Excellent. Apparently the Pepperpad is used for video quite extensively. I also found a review of the Vega that said Divx up to 2 megabit worked flawlessly. Supposedly there is video acceleration function in the supporting chipset. The painfully machine-translated review (which gave me "bad HK-subtitle" flashbacks) said there was a problem playing DVDs (I think). I suspect that's got more to do with the drive & interface. I bet that loading a DVD image directly on the the HD and playing the files from there would work perfectly.

5) Battery life - Supposedly excellent (5hrs?) LED backlight + super low power CPU should hopefully translate into decent power savings.

The guy who's going to be using it has a 860 and a 3000, but he seems a bit jealous of my Libretto smile.gif He's going to be using it for eBooks, web surfing, game emulation, and watching movies.

(Also, he's got a nasty sense of humour. Someone he knows bought laptops for his daughters - two girls ~5 foot and 100lbs if you're lucky. The father is a hefty guy over 6ft tall. He bought them a pair of 12lb desktop replacement laptops without thinking much of it. These girls list to one side if they try and take the things anywhere tongue.gif Anyway, my friend thinks that showing off the Kohjinsha to bug these girls is an "added benefit" tongue.gif Yes, he's single and likely to remain that way...)
kopsis
I stumbled across another Japanese review of the SA1F00A ... and this one includes disassembly photos! ohmy.gif Links are on my blog entry at http://superdave.blogdns.org/superdave/BlogEntry/2006/11/30

I have an SA1F00B (80GB HDD) on order from Conics (just waiting for the eCheck to clear), so in a few weeks there will be at least one English review on the web smile.gif
nilch
QUOTE(speculatrix @ Nov 15 2006, 05:22 AM)
QUOTE(nilch @ Nov 15 2006, 03:34 AM)
Talking about the 770, what happened to the 2nd iteration of the 770 that was rumoured/suposed to be coming soon ?

turned out to be a misinformed rumour about the 330 GPS unit.

Offtopic - but just to update everyone the successor is out - the Nokia 870. But sadly no keyboard as expected.

(see Noia 870 post in the Nokia forum section)
scheck.r
Hi,

Conics has a mini review of the device:
http://www.conics.net/temp/kohjinsha.html
Note that the CF slot is Type-1 only so no microdrive.

Enjoy
kopsis
My SA1F00B from Conics arrived yesterday (thanks Brett!). Some of my first thoughts:

* Most people can't believe how small it is (though after using the C760 for years, it seems quite roomy to me)
* 800x480 is much more usable than I expected
* Display size and quality is quite good
* Keyboard is going to take some getting used to (and possibly a bit of remapping)
* The CPU seems plenty fast for surfing and office apps

And yes, CF is Type 1 only ... though a Type 2 would fit if it weren't for a couple ribs molded into the case that look like they're there specifically to block a Type 2 card. I suspect that Kohjinsha may have originally designed it for Type 2 and then found problems in testing. Perhaps heat related issues? Microdrives get pretty toasty and the CF slot is right next to the CPU's heat sink.

I'll blog some more detailed initial thoughts this weekend and a long-term review in a few weeks. If anyone has specific questions, feel free to PM me and I'll try to make sure I get them answered.
kahm
QUOTE(kopsis @ Dec 5 2006, 11:19 AM)
My SA1F00B from Conics arrived yesterday (thanks Brett!). Some of my first thoughts:

* Most people can't believe how small it is (though after using the C760 for years, it seems quite roomy to me)
* 800x480 is much more usable than I expected
* Display size and quality is quite good
* Keyboard is going to take some getting used to (and possibly a bit of remapping)
* The CPU seems plenty fast for surfing and office apps

And yes, CF is Type 1 only ... though a Type 2 would fit if it weren't for a couple ribs molded into the case that look like they're there specifically to block a Type 2 card. I suspect that Kohjinsha may have originally designed it for Type 2 and then found problems in testing. Perhaps heat related issues? Microdrives get pretty toasty and the CF slot is right next to the CPU's heat sink.

I'll blog some more detailed initial thoughts this weekend and a long-term review in a few weeks. If anyone has specific questions, feel free to PM me and I'll try to make sure I get them answered.

Nuts. I don't think mine's been shipped, nevermind received. tongue.gif

Have you tried any video on it? Will it boot from a USB DVD/CD-rom drive?

Thanks!
nilch
Kahm, when you do receive yours, can you compare with the Toshiba Libretto U100, since they are size-wise pretty close.

Having seen the little video demo at Conics, I am pretty much tempted to get one myself. But again how well will Linux load on this device and how fast - questions questions...
kopsis
QUOTE(kahm @ Dec 5 2006, 02:09 PM)
Have you tried any video on it? Will it boot from a USB DVD/CD-rom drive?

Just tried a little XVID video encoded at 720x480 at about 1400 kbps (w/ full DVD AC3 audio) using MPlayer for Windows and it worked great. Nice and smooth, no apparent dropped frames. Obviously a lot depends on the material and the encoding, but its definitely possible to get good results on the Kohjinsha.

As for USB booting, the BIOS has support for it (both optical and HD/flash drive) so it should work but I haven't had a chance to try it.
kahm
QUOTE(kopsis @ Dec 5 2006, 08:49 PM)
Just tried a little XVID video encoded at 720x480 at about 1400 kbps (w/ full DVD AC3 audio) using MPlayer for Windows and it worked great. Nice and smooth, no apparent dropped frames. Obviously a lot depends on the material and the encoding, but its definitely possible to get good results on the Kohjinsha.

As for USB booting, the BIOS has support for it (both optical and HD/flash drive) so it should work but I haven't had a chance to try it.

Perfect - just what we were expecting. I've got a USB CDRW laying around somewhere that I'll test it with.

Kahm, when you do receive yours, can you compare with the Toshiba Libretto U100, since they are size-wise pretty close.

I'm planning on writing up a very detailed comparison between the Libby, the Kohjinsha, and the Z. Its going to be apples to orange to bananas, though. The Libby costs more than twice as much as the Kohjinsha. I really see it positioned about halfway between the Z and the libby.

Having seen the little video demo at Conics, I am pretty much tempted to get one myself. But again how well will Linux load on this device and how fast - questions questions...

Linux should be pretty good - the Pepperpad 3 is an almost identical hardware platform and it runs Fedora core 4...

I *think* it's been shipped. My order at conics has a tracking number posted, but I didn'\t get an email or any other info. Quite unlike my last purchase from Conics (A Sony Libie ebook reader...)
nilch
QUOTE(kahm @ Dec 6 2006, 12:07 PM)

I'm planning on writing up a very detailed comparison between the Libby, the Kohjinsha, and the Z. Its going to be apples to orange to bananas, though. The Libby costs more than twice as much as the Kohjinsha. I really see it positioned about halfway between the Z and the libby.

That's excactly what I would be most glad of - having a half-way point of upgrade to a worthy Zaurus replacement. I know that the U100 is damn costly, as a result of which the Kohjinsha appeals so much - price wise. And since size wise they are so similar - and if both do the same functionality (albeit the Kohjinsha at a slower pace because of its slower chip), then getting the Kohjinsha becomes more acceptable over the Libby U100.

Thansk Kahm. Looking forweard to the side by side comparisons soon.
(and stowing all all the extra money under the mattress, me thinks, will get this little beauty). rolleyes.gif
fpp
I'd be interested in your opinion on how usable Firefox and OpenOffice feel on this bugger, compared to MSIE and MSOffice...

TIA,
fp
zmiq2
I would be interested in seeing side-to-side comparison picures with a Zaurus.

Would that be possible?

PS.- it seems that the oqo 2 has been sent to FCC for approval, so soon we'll have another option, probably double the price though (seen at engadget.com)
kahm
QUOTE(zmiq2 @ Dec 6 2006, 05:14 PM)
I would be interested in seeing side-to-side comparison picures with a Zaurus.

Would that be possible?

PS.- it seems that the oqo 2 has been sent to FCC for approval, so soon we'll have another option, probably double the price though (seen at engadget.com)

I have a new camera to play with. smile.gif I'll be shooting everything from my 15" IBM A21p all the way down the Zaurus. I could also include the Libretto 110CT and 50CT/50M, and a Panasonic Toughbook CF-M34 if anyone wants smile.gif
drnick
I'd like to see it next to the Libretto U100, as I own one and was interested in the size difference. I am finding that I don't need something as powerful as the Libretto and having something with a longer than 3 hour battery life would be more appropriate for what I use the Libretto for.
zmiq2
kahm,

you are my hero for having such amount of computing power but in small packages! i wonder where do you get all that cash and that waf (wife acceptance factor) ;-)
nilch
Kopsis (and anyone esle who already has it in their hands), how does the Kohjinsha feel ruggedness wise in the hands and on the road ? Does it have that built-strong feeling or is it flimsy and breakable kind of construction (cheap usually means some cut-backs in the build department) ?
kahm
QUOTE(drnick @ Dec 8 2006, 07:36 AM)
I'd like to see it next to the Libretto U100, as I own one and was interested in the size difference.  I am finding that I don't need something as powerful as the Libretto and having something with a longer than 3 hour battery life would be more appropriate for what I use the Libretto for.

From the dimensions, it will be about the same size as a Libby. It will *seem* a bit bigger because i'm including the battery pack sticking out of the back of the Libby when I'm comparing dimensions. Weight is a hair less (20g)?
kopsis
QUOTE(nilch @ Dec 8 2006, 02:52 PM)
Kopsis (and anyone esle who already has it in their hands), how does the Kohjinsha feel ruggedness wise in the hands and on the road ? Does it have that built-strong feeling or is it flimsy and breakable kind of construction (cheap usually means some cut-backs in the build department) ?

For it's size and weight, the Kohjinsha feels like a pretty solid machine. No creaking or flexing when you handle it. The hinge feels smooth and strong with no play or "slop". The LCD is behind a solid piece of clear plastic that extends all the way to the edges of the lid, so the LCD itself is not exposed. Obviously there's no fragile touch-screen to worry about. Supposedly Kohjinsha has tested it to withstand 100 kg load with the lid closed -- but I don't think I'm brave enought to try to verify their results smile.gif

A Panasonic Toughbook it's not smile.gif, but in general I'd say the Kohjinsha feels much more solid than most of the Sony and Dell laptops I've used. I think it's safe to say that the cost savings came from strategic component selection (800x480 screen with no touch panel, AMD Geode 800LX CPU, etc.) and not from cutting corners on mechanical design and construction.
fpp
So Dave :

On your blog you mentioned being on the road with your new toy this week... how did that go ? :-)
kopsis
QUOTE(fpp @ Dec 9 2006, 10:16 AM)
So Dave :

On your blog you mentioned being on the road with your new toy this week... how did that go ? :-)

I haven't had time to get the photos in, but the text of my SA1F mini-review is now online.

This is a sneak preview of the review exclusively for OESF members. Please don't post it elsewhere or link to it yet. I'll get photos in sometime next week and link a blog post to it and then it's fair game smile.gif
Antikx
QUOTE(kopsis @ Dec 9 2006, 06:26 PM)
Please don't post it elsewhere or link to it yet.[/i]

Resisting urge... resisting urge...
fpp
Thanks for the derailed review Dave ! It appeared in your RSS feed this morning so I guess it's not supersecret anymore :-)

I have been grappling with reasons NOT to buy yet another dispensable gadget, and think I'm losing yet again... :-)
kahm
QUOTE(kopsis @ Dec 9 2006, 06:26 PM)
I haven't had time to get the photos in, but the text of my SA1F mini-review is now online.

This is a sneak preview of the review exclusively for OESF members. Please don't post it elsewhere or link to it yet. I'll get photos in sometime next week and link a blog post to it and then it's fair game smile.gif

Nice review.

I *think* that my friend's Kohjinsha will be arriving either tomorrow or Tuesday. Unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to give it a thorough review like you have - my friend is understandably chomping at the bit to get his hands on it, so I'll barely have time to power it up and take some photos tongue.gif (Although, I *would* like to take a stab at Linux on it. Probably won't be for a while, though.)

I fully understand your productivity comment smile.gif Most people are shocked by the size of my Libby - it's most commonly mistaken for a portable dvd player...
kopsis
My non-stop stream of Kohjinsha propoganda continues ... tongue.gif

My review now has photos (and a few edits since I originally posted the link).

I've also posted a page of Z vs. Kohjinsha pics.
nilch
Very nice... just nice...

seeing your pics beside the Zaurus as well as the Akihabara video of the Kohjinsha, I am already drooling for it now.
I think this size is just right for my ultra portable needs and for the rest of the times, the Zaurus stays in my pockets ALL the time.

The only last point being loading Lnux on this beauty and having the Zaurus work seamlessly with the Kohjinsha (which should be the same way it works with my desktop).

Oh, sorry, there is actually one last point - the most important point -
convincing my wife to go with me on this one (she has been all for a Mac laptop for a small size, cause she knows I can't stand a big laptop, but like all users, this small and she starts thinking PDA again).
fpp
It looks like Kohjinsha have been taken by surprise with the success of the SA1 (somewhat like Nokia with the 770 last year). I have one on order directly from Japan through an acquaintance there, and he says they're clean out of stock everywhere, even in Akihabara...
fpp
QUOTE(nilch @ Dec 11 2006, 06:37 PM)
Very nice... just nice...
seeing your pics beside the Zaurus as well as the Akihabara video of the Kohjinsha, I am already drooling for it now.
I think this size is just right for my ultra portable needs and for the rest of the times, the Zaurus stays in my pockets ALL the time.

My thoughts exactly (except with a 770 instead of a Z :-)
The only last point being loading Lnux on this beauty and having the Zaurus work seamlessly with the Kohjinsha (which should be the same way it works with my desktop).

Dave did his quick test with a Knoppix Live CD - the mother of all Linux Live CDs, but rather technical and no longer on the bleeding edge of user-friendliness I suppose. I wonder if a more desktop-oriented distribution like Ubuntu or even Mandriva would fare better at hardware support ?...
speculatrix
QUOTE(nilch @ Dec 12 2006, 03:37 AM)
seeing your pics beside the Zaurus as well as the Akihabara video of the Kohjinsha, I am already Oh, sorry, there is actually one last point - the most important point -
convincing my wife to go with me on this one (she has been all for a Mac laptop for a small size,

Aki have a review posted now: http://www.akihabaranews.com/review-73-X.html

as for wife... work out how much she spends on her beauty each year (hair, nails etc), compare with cost for man's occasional haircut. Then explain that you NEED these gadgets to keep you busy while she's having her hair done... tongue.gif
fpp
Well, this is a great day with two fantastic Xmas presents : oesf forums are back online at last, and my SA1 is under the tree :-)
Merry Xmas to y'all !
kahm
Yaay! Forums are back.

Now, the forums went down the same day I got pictures of the Kohjinsha tongue.gif

Comparison pics with a Thinkpad, Libretto, Zaurii, screen comparisons, etc.

http://silicondependency.blogspot.com/2006...ha-sa1f00a.html
nilch
Great pictures and photo review of the Kohjinsha vs the Libretto U100 and the Zaurus-es.

And wow ! "2 Zaurus deep and 3/4 zaurus wide" as compared against 4 of your Zaurii layed side by side against the Kohjinsha. Man, you are a true tech lover Kahn - you own 4 Zaurus-es ??? Plus the Kohjinsha and U100 and what not... I thought I had Tech lust. It must be nothing compared to your lust (or maybe your need).

Anyways thanks a lot for the photo review and comparisons.
kahm
QUOTE(nilch @ Dec 26 2006, 10:40 PM)
Great pictures and photo review of the Kohjinsha vs the Libretto U100 and the Zaurus-es.

And wow ! "2 Zaurus deep and 3/4 zaurus wide" as compared against 4 of your Zaurii layed side by side against the Kohjinsha. Man, you are a true tech lover Kahn - you own 4 Zaurus-es ??? Plus the Kohjinsha and U100 and what not... I thought I had Tech lust. It must be nothing compared to your lust (or maybe your need).

Anyways thanks a lot for the photo review and comparisons.

You're welcome smile.gif

I own 6 Zaurii - A 5000D, a 5500, a 6000, a 1000, a 3000, and a 3100. The second 3000 in the pictures belongs to the same fellow who owns the Kohjinsha (I took delivery of it for him, and I'm doing work on his 3000.) The Libretto is mine.

I have a fairly extensive collection of electronics. (For example). Like the blog says - I suffer from Silicon Dependency Issues smile.gif
speculatrix
I'll have to post some comparison photos of 3100 v 6000 v Sony TX
Da_Blitz
hahahah, seems like it pretty common around here smile.gif

me personally i dont have a device that hasen been "hacked" in some way. nearly all my devices run linux bar 2 (PDA's) but those are running remastered windows CE firmwares i did myself

ill try and get a picture of my setup as well, just added was a case damadged o2 atom brining my PDA count up to 5, or perhaps we should start a "show off your collection" post
maximusz
Thanks for all the reviews and cool photo's - the Kohjinsha looks fantastic.....but..... am I missing something? The price for this processor looks a bit high? The last few days I have been bidding on ebay for used laptops and I can get a much more powerful processor and better screen for less money.

What would be the advantage of the Kohjinsha over say a FUJITSU P5010D - just sold for $645 -

Brand:Fujitsu, Hard Drive Capacity: 60 GB, Screen Size: 11 inches, Processor Type:
Intel Pentium M, Centrino, Operating System: Windows XP Home, Primary Drive:
CD-RW/DVD Combo, Processor Speed: 900 MHz, Condition:Used, Memory (RAM): 512 MB
The size and battery life is almost the same...

The Libretto U100 regularly sell for $1000 - again - I am not trying to be rude, but am I missing something?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Da_Blitz
lower heat output,no ambient sound (no fans), weight, and most likly better battery life. plus a built in CF and SD slot

hackability would come into it as well.

the liberatto would be good if you need a bit of extra grunt and graphics power however this is a specilised device where the liberato while specilised is more "general pourpse"
kahm
QUOTE(maximusz @ Dec 29 2006, 09:09 PM)
Thanks for all the reviews and cool photo's - the Kohjinsha looks fantastic.....but..... am I missing something? The price for this processor looks a bit high? The last few days I have been bidding on ebay for used laptops and I can get a much more powerful processor and better screen for less money.

What would be the advantage of the Kohjinsha over say a FUJITSU P5010D - just sold for $645 -

Brand:Fujitsu,  Hard Drive Capacity: 60 GB, Screen Size: 11 inches, Processor Type: 
Intel Pentium M, Centrino, Operating System: Windows XP Home, Primary Drive: 
CD-RW/DVD Combo, Processor Speed: 900 MHz, Condition:Used, Memory (RAM): 512 MB
The size and battery life is almost the same...

The Libretto U100 regularly sell for $1000  -  again  - I am not trying to be rude, but am I missing something?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Whoa there, partner. Check your ruler again. There is no comparison in size between the Fujitsu and the Libretto/Kojinsha.

Fujitsu - Libretto/Kohjinsha (Which is near enough to the Libretto)
3.85lbs - 2.2lbs
10.3"w - 8.1"w
7.8"d - 6.5"d
1.6"h - 1.5"h

That's like saying a Civic and a Smart Car are almost the same size because they're both sub-compacts. tongue.gif

There's a whole universe of difference in portability between an 11" laptop and a 7" one. If 11" is small enough for you - consider yourself lucky. My libretto was the first real "laptop" that I consider small enough and useful enough to haul around on a daily basis, and I've spent a lot of time and money looking. (Previous "small" laptops that I've owned and used - Fujitsu Stylistic 1000, Toshiba Libretto 50M, Toshiba Libretto 110CT, Toshiba Portege 310CDT, Panasonic Toughbook CF-M34 mkI)

The Kohjinsha is interesting because it provides 100% of the portability of the Libretto at a third of the (new) cost, and half the average eBay cost, while still providing 90% of the functionality. (It lacks the PC card slot, fingerprint reader, firewire port, and has a lower screen resolution, in addition to being slower. OTOH, it has tablet mode, which is much nicer for couch surfing than the Libby, and a better keyboard)

It also runs cooler, and is infinitely quieter than the Libby.

Personally, I would place it half way between the Libretto - an ultra portable but full featured laptop, and the Zaurus - A PDA that wishes it were a laptop. It fills the niche that Microsoft is trying to put it's poorly concieved UMPC/Origami machines in, and does it with style.

(OOH! Looking up the Fujitsu 5010 found me the 1510D - Same weight as the libby, 1" wider, but has a tablet mode and a touch screen! /me wants!!)
maximusz
Thanks for your input Kham,
I would agree that there is a great advantage to the low noise and lack of heat generated by the Kohjinsha, but the processor seems sooo slow to me.... I currently have a IBM T22 with Kubuntu installed (P3 900 Mhz, 384megs ram), and I find this a bit on the slow side. My fear is that I would have a super portable device with the Kohjinsha but would have to wait constantly.

Are there any reviews that have posted benchmarks to give a good comparison for the speed? I have read reviews comparing the Kohjinsha to a P3 500mhz to P3 300 mmx.

It would be interesting to see the speed difference from WinXP and Puppy on this system.......

Thanks for you help,
adf
QUOTE(maximusz @ Dec 30 2006, 08:23 PM)
I would agree that there is a great advantage to the low noise and lack of heat generated by the Kohjinsha, but the processor seems sooo slow to me.... I currently have a IBM T22 with Kubuntu installed (P3 900 Mhz, 384megs ram), and I find this a bit on the slow side.  My fear is that I would have a super portable device with the Kohjinsha but would have to wait constantly.

Are there any reviews that have posted benchmarks to give a good comparison for the speed? I have read reviews comparing the Kohjinsha to a P3 500mhz to P3 300 mmx.

It would be interesting to see the speed difference from WinXP and Puppy on this system.......

Thanks for you help,

just my .02 usd, but with a lighter machine, maybe using lighter software than is included with kubuntu would be the way to go? A quick look at the packages in things like psaXrom Damn small linux and GPE would give you a good idea here, then just set it all up in your fav distro (doing it ground up in debian or gentoo or slack would probably be easier than cutting down ubuntu)
Da_Blitz
i am planning on turning it into a linux box thats mostly cmd line so low heat and noise is more important that cpu speed wink.gif

if i can get good FB support then i can still use mplayer to watch moives so i am happy, perhaps even X on a FB to graphically surf the net (links is nice but its lacking some things)
kahm
QUOTE(maximusz @ Dec 30 2006, 02:23 PM)
I would agree that there is a great advantage to the low noise and lack of heat generated by the Kohjinsha, but the processor seems sooo slow to me.... I currently have a IBM T22 with Kubuntu installed (P3 900 Mhz, 384megs ram), and I find this a bit on the slow side.  My fear is that I would have a super portable device with the Kohjinsha but would have to wait constantly.

Thanks for you help,

I have three words for you: Memory, Memory, Memory. Oh, and HD. THe IO on this thing is much faster than P3's that they're comparing the processor speed to, and that makes all the difference in the world. Plus, the 1gb maximum PC2700DDR ram means that the K will feel much faster than your P3900 with 384mb of PC133. This thing runs windows very, very well, and it only in very obviously CPU limited tasks that you notice you have a slow processor at all (HD/Large res Video, etc) Most standard tasks are IO or memory limited and those kinds of things run just fine on the K.
maximusz
I hope your right Kham, if the increased memory and better HD increase the speed that much, I am getting very tempted to convert to the dark side (or should I say "K side")

I was reading an aritcle on the Roan Digital Vega, this uses the AMD LX800 processor chip and it claims that "The CS5536 companion chip has some hardware 2D acceleration built-in and this helps speed up Windows beyond what would be expected of a 500Mhz PII class processor. It also helps video processing which runs right up to 2mbps for advanced video codes such as Divx, Xvid and WMV9 before frame drop becomes apparent"

I would assume that this would also be true for the K as well?
Here is the article on the Vega

http://www.carrypad.com/content/view/35/9/1/1/

THanks for your help in making this tough decision.
maximusz
This guy has a fully loaded K = 80gig HD and 1 GiG of ram.
http://www.handtops.com/blog/104/0/Kohjins...y_new_baby.html

he provides some benchmarks and copmarisons to other machines.....the performance is a bit dispapointing.....

Just as a summary, this baby is about 1/10th speed of an Intel Core Duo 1.66GHz machine (32-bit).
Khoji results at the end. Timing results are "how many per 5s interval +/- measuring errors, so allow 10/20% variance".

PERF3: 27 October 2002 14:21 v8.0.9a, AMD 750Mhz, Linux 2.4.19
1) loop Time: 5.01 545,000/sec

Mac OS X 10.1.5 PPC G3/500MHz gcc 2.95.2
PERF3: 5 December 2002 09:45 v8.0.9c
1) loop Time: 4.91 230,000/sec

Intel P4 2.53GHz Linux 2.4.20
PERF3: 29 July 2003 23:14 v8.1.2b
1) loop Time: 5.01 1,475,000/sec

Intel P3 1.2GHz, WinXP, CL .NET 7.00
PERF3: 19 April 2004 21:08 v9.0.3a
1) loop Time: 4.99 805,000/sec

Intel P3 1.2GHz, WinXP, CL 2003 7.10
PERF3: 19 April 2004 21:06 v9.0.3a
1) loop Time: 5.00 940,000/sec

Sun Ultra-10 440MHz solaris-10-sparc64
PERF3: 25 March 2006 09:37 v9.1.5a
1) loop Time: 4.99 170,000/sec

Sun Ultra-10 440MHz solaris-10-sparc64
PERF3: 25 March 2006 09:39 v9.1.5a
1) loop Time: 5.12 155,000/sec

Linux 2.6.16.5 Intel Core Duo 1.66GHz 32 bit gcc-4.0.3
PERF3: 10 December 2006 14:05 v9.2.1c
1) loop Time: 4.97 1,030,000/sec

Khojinsa Windows XP - AMD Geode 500Mhz Visual Studio 2005 Express
PERF3: 10 December 2006 14:11 v9.2.1c
1) loop Time: 5.05 175,000/sec

He does clearly specify in the blog that
"I rarely notice the cpu speed issue, and the extra RAM avoids a few disk accesses."

This confuses me a little..... the P3 1.2 machine is approx 4.6X faster then the Khojinsa, but he rarely notices the cpu speed issue?

I have to get my hands on this to test it out myself.............

What is the community's thoughts?
Ling
Intel P4 2.53GHz Linux 2.4.20
PERF3: 29 July 2003 23:14 v8.1.2b
1) loop Time: 5.01 1,475,000/sec

Intel P3 1.2GHz, WinXP, CL .NET 7.00
PERF3: 19 April 2004 21:08 v9.0.3a
1) loop Time: 4.99 805,000/sec

Intel P3 1.2GHz, WinXP, CL 2003 7.10
PERF3: 19 April 2004 21:06 v9.0.3a
1) loop Time: 5.00 940,000/sec

Is this saying that a P4 was slower than a P3 with half the clock speed? Looks like some Linux FUD or am I reading this wrong?
ljonesj
okay if you want to run ubuntu or its direvative kubuntu try xubuntu it is a lite weight gui and you can use it with kubuntu and ubuntu desktop software if you install those gui's but not to use them
cycle_55
I think that it would be much more useful to talk about performance per watt than try and compare it to some power hungry processors. For me a Z for mobile use and a K for everything else especially hooked to a 19 lcd for drawing will do perfectly for me. Of course this is all just my humble opinion. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.