Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pdaxrom For C3000 (based On Beta1/beta3)
OESF Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Distro Support and Discussion > pdaXrom
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Meanie
Well, I have got it working. So far it suspends in seconds and also resumes. no file corruptions either so far, ie fsck shows a clean disk state at each reboot.

This is based on the C3000 beta done by ThC. The installer and hdimage have been updated as well as the kernel.

read more here: http://www.users.on.net/~hluc/myZaurus/pdaxii13.html

Now I just need somewhere to upload the files. The hdimage currently is at 128M.
relapse808
this release sounds good to me. Someone host this so we can give it a shot.

btw does the installer have a utilty for formatting the hard drive as you have recommended on your site?
zi99y
Any idea if it's safe to use on a C3200? Sounds really great Meanie smile.gif
daniel3000
Hi Meanie,

what a great work! Thanks a lot.
This will raise the value of my C3000 in the drawer by 100%. rolleyes.gif

daniel
Glorin
Good job, thanx!
oncle-dave
thanks lot.

I can upload this release in http if you want ? smile.gif

Oncle-dave. cool.gif
HoloVector
Hmm... I'm tempted to try this on my 3200. It has almost everything I was looking for in Beta3. It's just missing ScummVM wink.gif

Thanks. smile.gif
HoloVector
Meanie,

In case you didn't see it. Antikx has offered to host your Pdaxrom release in this post.
Meanie
Status Update:

I will send the files to Antikx ASAP (which means when I get home, the one with the internet connection. I am currently staying at a new place which is not yet connected up)

updater.sh and updater-tools.bin are done and tested. you will be given a choice to repartition your MicroDrive automatically to my custom layout (which I might decide to change later on), one single 4GB partition, the default Sharp partititon scheme (so you can easily flash back to Sharp/Cacko), or use fdisk to do your own custom layout.

initrd.bin is done and working. I am still working on it to allow me to dual boot, kexec, etc.. but the current one works just fine for pivoting to the MicroDrive

hdimage.tgz is where all the action will be. there can be many variations of this one, for example one that defaults to icewm, one that defaults to fluxbox, etc..
the goal is to make sure that updater.sh and initrd.bin are stable to install and boot on the C3000, and then create a clean and lean hdimage-base.tgz which can be used to build further customisations.

I got a hdimage-custom.tgz image which I am testing with, but I am working on building the hdimage-base.tgz and the zbackup tool.
cycle_55
QUOTE(Meanie @ Nov 21 2006, 04:01 PM)
Status Update:

I will send the files to Antikx ASAP (which means when I get home, the one with the internet connection. I am currently staying at a new place which is not yet connected up)

updater.sh and updater-tools.bin are done and tested. you will be given a choice to repartition your MicroDrive automatically to my custom layout (which I might decide to change later on), one single 4GB partition, the default Sharp partititon scheme (so you can easily flash back to Sharp/Cacko), or use fdisk to do your own custom layout.

initrd.bin is done and working. I am still working on it to allow me to dual boot, kexec, etc.. but the current one works just fine for pivoting to the MicroDrive

hdimage.tgz is where all the action will be.  there can be many variations of this one, for example one that defaults to icewm, one that defaults to fluxbox, etc..
the goal is to make sure that updater.sh and initrd.bin are stable to install and boot on the C3000, and then create a clean and lean hdimage-base.tgz which can be used to build further customisations.

I got a hdimage-custom.tgz image which I am testing with, but I am working on building the hdimage-base.tgz and the zbackup tool.

Well, now I'm just a little bit envious....

cycle_55
Meanie
found a problem. with the tetsu kernel, the internal microdrive does not get corrupted, but you cannot mount an external cf card sad.gif
updated the old initrd file and booted the old c3000 beta2, and you can mount external cf cards fine

maybe I will release both, the updated initrd from the c3000 beta2 using the pdaXrom beta1 kernel, and the new initrd which uses the tetsu kernel...

need more testing ;(
bcom75
QUOTE(Meanie @ Nov 22 2006, 03:36 AM)
found a problem. with the tetsu kernel, the internal microdrive does not get corrupted, but you cannot mount an external cf card sad.gif
updated the old initrd file and booted the old c3000 beta2, and you can mount external cf cards fine

maybe I will release both, the updated initrd from the c3000 beta2 using the pdaXrom beta1 kernel, and the new initrd which uses the tetsu kernel...

need more testing ;(

thanks for your update- I suggest you just upload the whole set, perhaps we can chip in with our beta tests and try to suggest solutions...
kahm
And once more, Meanie proves himself the God of the Zaurus. I've got a pair of 3000's that have been sitting for months, waiting for a viable PDAXrom.

Can't wait to d/l it! smile.gif
Meanie
ok, the files are uploading now. i will be away during the weekend so if the upload is interrupted then it will have to wait until i return to resume it, but finger crossed, all should be fine.

this is the very first alpha test release so be careful and make sure you know how to reflash something if it goes wrong, but that shouldnt happen smile.gif

here's the url for the files:
http://www.tyrannozaurus.com/feed/pdaXii13/tmp/

you have to option to flash the beta1 kernel or tetsu kernel. you can switch between them and reflash without needing to reflash your hdd image.

there currently are two hdd images, the base image which is pretty much what you get from beta3 and the custom image which is a snapshot of my wip image.

still working on the full image which will take a while cause i am busy with other things too.

main difference from the c3000 beta2 is that you can change the partition layout of of your microdrive during flashing. you must have the first partition formatted as ext3. the third partition needs to be fat if you want to use your Z as a usb storage device. the default partition scheme that i chose is as follows:

first partition 2.2 GB ext3
second partition 256MB swap
third partition 1.5GB GB fat

when suspending, the hdd light is off smile.gif
daniel3000
Will try it ASAP! Thank you so much!
BTW, what does the name pdaXii31 mean?
daniel
chrisluu
QUOTE(daniel3000 @ Nov 24 2006, 04:02 AM)
Will try it ASAP! Thank you so much!
BTW, what does the name pdaXii31 mean?
daniel

I would venture a guess at pdaXrom based on the Beta ii produced earlier for the 3k and the pdaXrom Beta 1/Beta 3 versions. hehe. Currently, I was able to get all the files except hdimage-custom.tgz, so I'm guessing it's still uploading.
danboid
Oh wow!

This is probably the single most important update or release ever for us long blighted c3000 owners! Massive thanks to Meanie, Thc, Antikx, the OE guys and not least sash for making this computing wonder possible!

Problem is I'm just setting off for work now but I'll be straight on it when I get back smile.gif

Thanks again Meanie, oh Z demi-god upon high:D
rui65
Yes !!! It does suspend and restore: this is great. Now Pdaxrom is easily usable !

I followed the directions in http://www.users.on.net/~hluc/myZaurus/pdaxii13.html to watch a video with Mplayer but the bvdd driver is invalid for both /usr/bin/mplayer and /usr/local/bin/mplayer.
I think that the first one (from Atty) is one recommanded.
Message is "Non supported bvdd".

I am using the Tetsu kernel and hdimage-custom.tgz. "hdimage-full.tgz." cannot be downloaded today. I was always redirected to http://www.tyrannozaurus.com home page when I tried.

So I think that the Mplayer I am using (from hdimage-custom.tgz) is may be not the right one to use bvdd.

Could someone help me in getting "mplayer -vo bvdd ..." working please ?

Thanks,

Rui
danboid
I've just installed the custom hd image with the tetsu kernel

The good news is that it installed OK and suspend does seem to be working well

The bad news is:

1. I too can't play videos as it says

"Error opening the selected video_out device"

I've tried both xv and bvdd settings but neither worked.

2. I can't get a wifi internet connection. It is finding my wifi card under the mb card applet but no matter what setting I try under the Lan + Wifi settings I can't get the green wifi card light (a connection) to come on. I have disabled my wifi security to make things easier and also both cacko and the last pdax beta had no probs with wifi.

Maybe trying the b2 kernel instead will solve both these problems?

The other problem I had was that the touchscreen configuration screen didn't present itself after/during install and it was incorrectly configured but I solved that by running ts_calibrate

Also, seeing as X starts on boot now, how can I drop out of X to the console? Choosing 'Exit' from the menu just restarts X- I'd much rather it exit to the console.

Looks very promising!
danboid
I replaced the tetsu kernel with the b2 kernel and wifi works now but still no video. mplayer says

couldn't open /dev/bvdd, no such device

Although /dev/bvdd does exist.

I tried modprobe bvdd but that just spewed errors at me

Any ideas?

Another question- I'd presume that the installer doesn't format the vfat partition and that I must do that myself after installation right?
collywobbles
I get the same problem as rui65....can't download any of the hdimage files at all. I assume an error is occurring as it throws us back to the home page.

Any one got a copy of hdimage-full.tgz???

All the other files download fine.

Thanks
Russell
relapse808
QUOTE(collywobbles @ Nov 24 2006, 12:32 PM)
I get the same problem as rui65....can't download any of the hdimage files at all. I assume an error is occurring as it throws us back to the home page.

Any one got a copy of hdimage-full.tgz???

All the other files download fine.

Thanks
Russell

Meanie stated that there are currently only 2 images right now which is the basic image and the custom image. He is still working on the full image.
collywobbles
QUOTE(relapse808 @ Nov 24 2006, 10:38 PM)
[Meanie stated that there are currently only 2 images right now which is the basic image and the custom image.  He is still working on the full image.

Thanks relapse808, the custom one works now and it is currently downloading..
Cheers
Russell
kahm
So, no suspension issues - is that only with the tetsu kernel? CF cards only work with the b2 kernel, but does the suspension problem come back?
danboid
Suspend seems to be working fine under the b2 kernel now

Since my last post I've tried installing the bvdd 0.4.0 ipk but that hasn't fixed the mplayer problem so I'm out of ideas now. mplayers bvdd mode worked great under the last c3k pdaX beta- even better quality video playback than under cacko bvdd I think- and this is supposedly the exact same kernel I'm running here so what could the problem be?
relapse808
I basically have the same issues. I am running the tetsu kernal and it shows my card in the CF/SD monitor but I cannot get the OS to detect a card is present. All the lights on the Ambicom card light up when plugged into the Zaurus, Can anone confirm the B2 kernal works for wireless?

I also cannot get calibrate to work at all. I will try out the ts_calibrate.

Edit : tried ts_calibrate and I got the calibration screen, however after I was done it just stayed at a black screen forcing me to hard reset the device.

second edit: I installed the B2 kernal which fixed wifi. I also noticed sometimes when i reboot/switch kernals that it has HDA1 hasn't been checked in X amount of days and then wont boot without reinstalling the image. Anyone have a workaround for this?
relapse808
I am still running into the HDA corruption every couple of hard boots with both kernals. If I reformat and install it works again. I havent had this strange issue before this beta, hopefully its not just me cause its driving me crazy
danboid
A couple of things I didn't mention about installing bvdd is that after installing, if you reboot it will complain about the module saying that it taints the kernel but still seems to get loaded OK anyway. This puts an end to the bvdd device not found but now mplayer doesn't work as it complains about not understanding iwmmx. I could try the tetsu kernel again with the bvdd package installed but then I'd have no wifi of course sad.gif

I've formatted my vfat partition now with the command

mkfs.vfat -F 32 /dev/hda4

and 'Internal Storage' is selected under the USB config tool but nothing happens when I connect the Z to the PC- it doesn't get mounted. Is there a module I need to load on the Z before this will work?

Under the last pdax beta, I could switch resolutions and change the screen brightness by holding down Fn then pushing 1,2,3 or 4 and that isn't working currently when according to the pdaXii13 docs it should be setup that way.

Anyone else having trouble accessing the pdaX feeds? I managed to do an update and download the package lists alright last night but now I want to try installing more apps but the feeds seem to be down.
danboid
A few more improvements that I would like to see in the next pdaxii13 custom release:

gpe-calendar and gpe-announce

I'd very much like to see the latest dillo instead of dillo2 and an entry for dillo under the internet section of the matchbox menu

Please add the battery monitor, CF/SD card app, wifi monitor and screen blanker to the default matchbox panel along with launchers for the virtual keyboard and a terminal.

A link on the desktop to the external cf slot

Make xmms default to opening at double size

Thanks Meanie!
rui65
bvdd
Now mplayer is working with bvdd. I thing that the bvvd.o module in the archive in somewhat incompatible with the included Mplayer.
To fix that I downloaded bvdd from http://atty.skr.jp/mplayer.html.
I extracted only bvdd.o from the ipk file and I put it in /lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/drivers/video. Obviously I did backup the initial bvdd.o.
A simple rmod/modprobe did not work. I got some warnings about "tainted modules".
But after rebooting, I was able to play AVI files with bvdd.
It's really faster that what I have tried till know in my C3000.
I also set the CPU speed to the maximum (624 MHz).

Give it a try !

ts_calibrate
I got the same problem : could not start the calibration.
I think part of the problem lies in startx script : ts_calibrate is called using "sudo" but sudo is missing.
But even after having removed the "sudo" calls, the calibration started but I got only a black screen once finished.
Sometime later I had to reboot and the calibration appeard. I did it and X started just after. But I don't know why it started to work !!

FS Corruption
I got some too but this is not a real surprise because I did quite a few "resets".

Question : I have a Ethernet CF in the slot. I am wondering if the current PdaXrom is designed for such a configuration or if it only correcly handles suspend/resume/reboot for a disk CF. Just wondering...
danboid
rui65:

You got mplayer working? I'd imagine you're running the Tetsu kernel aren't you? Does wifi work for you with Tetsu kernel?

I suppose that, after installing the bvdd module I could install a non-iwmmxt mplayer and run that under the b2 kernel but I'm absolutely certain I could run the iwmmxt accelerated mplayer under the last beta with stock kernel. Am I imagining that?
jpmatrix
hi
great job meanie ! i was hesitating between openBSD and openzaurus/GPE for my C3000 but i think none are yet user ready...
i tried your pdaxii13 and i had the same troubles as everybody here (calibration, wifi...)
calibration is ok after ts_calibrate, hang, reboot
but would someone post a simple wifi howto ?
thanks in advance!
rui65
QUOTE(danboid @ Nov 25 2006, 07:41 PM)
rui65:

You got mplayer working? I'd imagine you're running the Tetsu kernel aren't you? Does wifi work for you with Tetsu kernel?

I suppose that, after installing the bvdd module I could install a non-iwmmxt mplayer and run that under the b2 kernel but I'm absolutely certain I could run the iwmmxt accelerated mplayer under the last beta with stock kernel. Am I imagining that?

Yes : Tetsu's kernel.
Sorry I don't use Wifi, only a very classical CF Ethernet adaptor.
kahm
QUOTE(rui65 @ Nov 25 2006, 01:54 PM)
QUOTE(danboid @ Nov 25 2006, 07:41 PM)
rui65:

Yes : Tetsu's kernel.
Sorry I don't use Wifi, only a very classical CF Ethernet adaptor.

Interesting that you got a CF card working on the Tetsu kernel - Meanie's post and subsequent replies made me believe there'd be a problem with *all* CF cards...
chrisluu
I thought I'd give a quick rundown of my experience with pdaXii13. I started out with the base image and Tetsu kernel. It worked rather well for me, including my Socket CF Wifi card, meaning that the problems with mounting a CF card are purely module based in terms of loading the ide driver. BVDD in Mplayer worked fine for me out of the box. Unfortunately, I started getting the FS errors again. Basically when it happens, I can't do anything anymore. If by chance I have a console open when it happens, I can try to do things like "reboot" but I just get "bus error" or "I/O error." Since it seems like most other people aren't getting it, I'm now suspecting that it's a problem with my Ebook reader, Justreader. I just flashed with hdimage-custom so I'll see if I get the problem without installing Justreader.

For those that are giving suggestions for what default programs / settings to have in the hdimage, keep in mind that this hdimage-custom is Meanie's specific style / programs that he only posted so that we could see what he's got so far. Once you get things exactly as you like for a default installation, you can run his zbackup program and get a tgz of your specific default programs, which I think is awesome.
Meanie
Oh man, I've been busy. Assembled a dinner table and four chairs as well as a complete wardrobe all by myself smile.gif

anyway, as some of you might have realised, the only image that is ready is hdimage-base.tgz. hdimage-full.tgz is still in the workings and well hdimage-custom.tgz seems all broken atm smile.gif

anyways, i was hoping for those daring enough to test to make sure that the installer was working properly and easy enough to use (and had all the features you would need). the base image is what really needs testing so we can have something stable and useful to build upon.
the custom image was kinda like a sneak preview for the very curious. i was in a bit of a hurry in my last post smile.gif had to rush and didn't explain everything clearly enough i guess.
so again, the aim of this release was to make sure everything in the base image works and also test out the two different kernels and see which one provides more stability.

please note that my site http://www.users.on.net/~hluc/myZaurus/pdaxii13.html describes pdaXii13 full while I have just released pdaXii13 base for testing (which is a trimmed down version and does not have everything that is in the full version, ie updated mplayer...)

it seems that the cf card problem is only isolated to cf flash not mounting with the tetsu kernel. this might get fixed if i manage to compile ide-cs.o which i am havig problems with... the old beta1 kernel seems to have this module correctly compiled into the kernel while the tetsu kernel apparently has this module compiled in as well because it can access the microdrive but spews on the second cf flash card. interestingly, the other cf card will work if you boot with it inserted and you can mount and unmount it several times and it will continue to work until you eject it. then it won't ever work again until you reboot sad.gif

so if the old kernel works fine, performance wise and stability wise, then maybe just drop the tetsu kernel and get on with other important stuff like the apps...

please test more between the differences of tetsu and old kernel...
danboid
I'm surprised that Chrisluu had no problems with mplayer bvdd- I've tried all the combinations of kernels and images now but I still haven't got bvdd working properly. I even tried running atty's mplayer-bvdd (not iwmmx one) with the bvdd module but that gave a small vertically aligned video on the left hand side of the screen.

Thankfully the base hdimage doesn't have the calibration or logging out of X problems of the custom image. I was also pleased to see suspend working under all combinations and the updated sd-driver was working in both images.

Neither CF memory cards or my wifi card work under the tetsu kernel but both work fine under b2 kernel.

bvdd video is broke under both kernels under either hdimage for me. Even the tetsu kernel doesn't have bvdd support compiled in. I managed to get the bvdd module to load (with tainting error) under b2 but strangely enough not under tetsu which said the module wasn't an ELF file.
danboid
What I mean by bvdd video is editing /usr/share/mplayer/mplayer.conf to end with

vo = bvdd
vm = yes

or adding the -vo bvdd option to your mplayer command. If anyone can get bvdd working under the b2 kernel then please tell me how you did it.

If you do end up recompiling a kernel Meanie please don't forget the iwmmx extensions as these, along with bvdd, aren't in the b2 kernel you posted.

Looks like I've just been hit with a bit of the dreaded file corruption myself in the form of io errors on the console when trying to view a directory but this has occured whilst I've been experimenting with the tetsu kernel. I'm going to try flashing anew with the b2 kernel and the hdimage base this time with no tetsu excursion, see how it goes.

EDIT

As i said i got an i/o error off my MD so I've just tried twice to install anew with the b2 kernel and the core image. Now I don't know if this is just a combination that the installer doesn't like or what but now when I try to boot it gets as far as 'Loading Driver for Microdrive' then I get

cardmgr[71]: 'ide-cs' already bound to socket 1
Internal harddrive is /dev/hdc1
e2fsck- no such device /dev/hdc1
run fsck manually on hdc1

The boot process ends there and I'm left with a prompt. Shouldn't it be trying to boot /dev/hda1 anyway? How has this happened?
relapse808
I can go back to the tetsu kernal and do more testing. I personally think its faters that the B2 kernal, even in bootup. I ditched it so quickly because I couldnt get the wifi to work. I would like to see PDAXROM using the tetsu special kernal.
danboid
Can anybody explain this MD error I'm getting? I've booted into D+M and ran a fsck on hda1 and it passed with no errors. As I said, I tried twice to flash the combination of b2 kernel and the core hdimage. The first time I did it I tried booting it for the first time with my wifi CF card inserted. When I got that error I tried flashing the same combination but made sure that no CF card was inserted on first boot after install but the same error occured (no /dev/hdc).

I'd be happy if someone could tell me why this is happening or how to fix it. I'd also like to hear from anyone else who has tried this combination out and what your findings were.
iczer3
Dear Meanie,

I have installed the pdaxii13 on my C3000. After installation /media/realroot was
not created in my built-in microdrive. After creating it manually and reboot it
is ok.
The one problem I have is that if I insert a microdrive into the CF slot then
it won't boot sometimes, with error saying partition error on hda1.

Will do further testing.

BR,

Felix.
danboid
iczer3:

That's it! I made a dir called /media/realroot then rebooted and that put an end to my '/dev/hdc not found' error- thanks for pointing that out!

Anyone got bvdd (and iwmmxt pref. too) working under the b2 kernel?
jpmatrix
welcome back meanie !

well, do you mean (!) we should only install the base tgz and report the bugs we find ?
it seems all packages are removed from tyrannozaurus web site. are you preparing new uploads ?
relapse808
QUOTE(danboid @ Nov 27 2006, 12:46 AM)
Can anybody explain this MD error I'm getting? I've booted into D+M and ran a fsck on hda1 and it passed with no errors. As I said, I tried twice to flash the combination of b2 kernel and the core hdimage. The first time I did it I tried booting it for the first time with my wifi CF card inserted. When I got that error I tried flashing the same combination but made sure that no CF card was inserted on first boot after install but the same error occured (no /dev/hdc).

I'd be happy if someone could tell me why this is happening or how to fix it. I'd also like to hear from anyone else who has tried this combination out and what your findings were.

Is this the same error I am getting when I sometimes boot the device? During bootup it tells me that HDA1 hasnt been checked for errors and attempts to do so. It then drops me into the console telling me to run fsck manually. I run FSCK on /dev/hda1 and then reboot and it will work again. This issue is a annoying one.
jpmatrix
same trouble as danboid:
i installed base tgz and b2 kernel
first boot: it complains about hdc1:

checking /dev/hdc1
e2fsck : no such device or address...

perhaps it is because i have one 4gb partition ?
i try the standard partition scheme

edited: same problem with standard partitioning...
help!

ps: all worked with the custom image...should i go back to it ?
danboid
jpmatrix:

iczer3 has already posted the solution to that problem. To be more verbose:

With an empty CF slot, do a D+B boot, login then type

mount /dev/hda1 /hdd1

mkdir /hdd1/media/realroot

reboot

pdaxrom should then boot as normal
jpmatrix
QUOTE(danboid @ Nov 27 2006, 09:52 PM)
jpmatrix:

mount /dev/hda1 /hdd1

reboot

oh yeah
sorry i was in error seeing that there was already a /media/realroot directory but that was not the right one apparently smile.gif
pdax is booting right now!
thanks!

edited: booting is ok! everything is working, calibration, wifi !
now i begin my package install time!
iczer3
Dear Danboid,

Tetsu's kernel works fine if you reboot with a flash card in CF slot.
That is, force internal hdd -> hdc. Then all cf functions are OK.

Can you advise where I can get the mplayer with bvdd so that
I could test bvdd function ?

BR,

Felix.
Meanie
QUOTE(danboid @ Nov 28 2006, 05:52 AM)
jpmatrix:

mount /dev/hda1 /hdd1

reboot

the new initrd.bin file fixes this.

i will be updating hdimage-base.tgz and uploading hdimage-full.tgz in a day or so. in the meantime, i have removed hdimage-custom.tgz, as for mplayer, try this one:
http://zaurus.daemons.gr/menaie/pdaxrom/fe...-1_armv5tel.ipk
danboid
Hi Meanie!

Good to hear you've got some new initrd.bin files on the way!

I have tried that mplayer ipk you linked to- that is the one I found to have the best performance as it worked very well with full screen bvdd under the last beta release but it isn't working properly under pdaxii13. I have tried it under the b2 kernel/core hdimage both with and without the bvdd module loaded and with exactly the same mplayer.conf settings as you recommended on your pdaX customisations page but all I get is a small, vertically aligned video picture to the left of the screen. It looks like qvga support isn't working but I've not had the chance to try quake or zpsx out yet under the console so I dunno for sure about that.

I found another bug too. Under the b2 kernel with the core hdimage the keyboard stops responding after a while and I have to restart X to get it working again- it still works under the non-X console though.

Could you please include your Openbox custom configuration in the core image?

Thanks!

dan
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.