Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Usb Plug
OESF Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Model Specific Forums > C1000/3x00 Hardware
ImPerfectCell
I accidently plugged my RAZR charger into the USB slot on my Zaurus thinking it was a USB cable. now when i plug in my zaurus (into my pc running windows xp), 12 windows open for it and ask me if i want to open the folder or play files in media player. its weird cause everytime i close a window, another replaces it so that i constantly have 11 windows opening for it. it only lets me view the Documents folder. if i go to anything else, it just closes and opens another window. any ideas? maybe i should get a CF USb or something?
Cresho
you need to post on signature your model so people can answer your questions.
ImPerfectCell
QUOTE(Cresho @ Dec 10 2006, 07:25 PM)
you need to post on signature your model so people can answer your questions.

thanx
pelrun
Have you rebooted your Z? A cold boot by removing the battery and AC for 10 seconds is probably a good idea.

The RAZR cables aren't very custom, 5v and GND are in the right places, but maybe it confused the Z USB hardware. Better to be confused than damaged after all...
Ling
Don't know if it helps, but mine does a similar dance on Linux. When I plug it in, sda through sdh open. Interesting all are the same. I never plugged a razr charger in to mine smile.gif My wife and kids have razrs, so maybe its viral.
ImPerfectCell
QUOTE(pelrun @ Dec 10 2006, 08:40 PM)
Have you rebooted your Z? A cold boot by removing the battery and AC for 10 seconds is probably a good idea.

The RAZR cables aren't very custom, 5v and GND are in the right places, but maybe it confused the Z USB hardware. Better to be confused than damaged after all...

i tried that. same results sadly.
Jon_J
QUOTE(ImPerfectCell @ Dec 10 2006, 09:12 PM)
now when i plug in my zaurus (into my pc running windows xp), 12 windows open for it and ask me if i want to open the folder or play files in media player.

I think this particular part of the problem is Windows XP itself and autoplay settings.
I once plugged my C3100 USB into a friend's new XP laptop, and several windows popped up and asked to play media files, and a couple other windows opened up and launched his paint program and opened my pictures on my Zaurus.
Now, on my Windows XP computer, I have all automatic stuff turned off, especially Autoplay! smile.gif
Turn off Autoplay for all drives.
I hate it when I insert a CD-ROM and windows wants to play a media file on it automatically.
When I plug my Zaurus into my Windows XP machine, nothing happens except an additional drive is added to "My Computer", under "Devices with Removable Storage"
ImPerfectCell
QUOTE(Jon_J @ Dec 11 2006, 09:39 AM)
QUOTE(ImPerfectCell @ Dec 10 2006, 09:12 PM)
now when i plug in my zaurus (into my pc running windows xp), 12 windows open for it and ask me if i want to open the folder or play files in media player.

I think this particular part of the problem is Windows XP itself and autoplay settings.
I once plugged my C3100 USB into a friend's new XP laptop, and several windows popped up and asked to play media files, and a couple other windows opened up and launched his paint program and opened my pictures on my Zaurus.
Now, on my Windows XP computer, I have all automatic stuff turned off, especially Autoplay! smile.gif
Turn off Autoplay for all drives.
I hate it when I insert a CD-ROM and windows wants to play a media file on it automatically.
When I plug my Zaurus into my Windows XP machine, nothing happens except an additional drive is added to "My Computer", under "Devices with Removable Storage"

how do i turn it off completely? or do i have to go to each drive and do it seperately?
InSearchOf
ahhh.. I feel like an idiot knowing this...

Start > Run > gpedit.msc > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Turn Off Autoplay > Enable

:-)

Late
Jon_J
QUOTE(InSearchOf @ Dec 11 2006, 12:13 PM)

Start > Run > gpedit.msc > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Turn Off Autoplay > Enable

Late

I don't have gpedit or gpedit.msc on my XP box. I just did a search for it using advanced search.
Running it results in file not found.
I think I had to turn off Autoplay for each drive individually, back when I did this.
I'm looking at Administrative Tools and I don't see Computer Configuration.
I do have Computer Management
Administrative Template isn't listed in Computer Management.
I'm using XP Home, maybe this version of Windows doesn't include gpedit.msc
cycle_55
QUOTE(Jon_J @ Dec 11 2006, 02:31 PM)
QUOTE(InSearchOf @ Dec 11 2006, 12:13 PM)

Late

I don't have gpedit or gpedit.msc on my XP box. I just did a search for it using advanced search.
Running it results in file not found.
I think I had to turn off Autoplay for each drive individually, back when I did this.
I'm looking at Administrative Tools and I don't see Computer Configuration.
I do have Computer Management
Administrative Template isn't listed in Computer Management.
I'm using XP Home, maybe this version of Windows doesn't include gpedit.msc

As far as I know it is something one types into "Run"....

cycle_55
Jon_J
I did type it into "Run"
That's when I got file not found message.
InSearchOf
Yea it isn't part of XP home... Sorry...

Late
Jon_J
Thank you, that clears it up.
I thought I had a borked system.
I guess XP Home is borked though.
cycle_55
QUOTE(Jon_J @ Dec 11 2006, 02:37 PM)
Thank you, that clears it up.
I thought I had a borked system.
I guess XP Home is borked though.

I apologize, I forgot I had XP pro installed.

cycle_55
ImPerfectCell
ok that worked. thanx alot. but now for some reason when i try to open the Music_Files folder or even click on it, the window closes. wtf? blink.gif it doesnt do that to any other folder but that one. idk man xp is a pain mad.gif
ImPerfectCell
QUOTE(ImPerfectCell @ Dec 11 2006, 05:29 PM)
ok that worked.  thanx alot.  but now for some reason when i try to open the Music_Files folder or even click on it, the window closes.  wtf?  blink.gif  it doesnt do that to any other folder but that one.  idk man xp is a pain mad.gif

oh wait. no its still doing it. its just now instead of autoplay menus popping up, it says removable disk J, then says Zaurus J and keeps going back and forth. and if i open it. it stays open for a second and closes :-(
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2015 Invision Power Services, Inc.