Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Nokia N800
OESF Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Model Specific Forums > Nokia Tablet
Pages: 1, 2
B_Lizzard
Well, it seems that information about the N800 has "leaked" - along with a lot of high-quality (*really* high quality) images. HERE's the photo set, with some juicy images, and HERE's a page with the current spec sheet, along with some links...

It seems that Nokia didn't lay on their laurels on this one. It looks like a real good advancement, in terms of specifications, and should address most issues put up by most of the community. They upped the RAM to 128MB, which amounts to 4-5 times more free memory during operation, they apparently added a CPU with twice the power, plus 2 SD card slots. They also added a webcam smile.gif A nice little keyboard and it's good to go!

And, apparently, the device is already available at certain CompUSA stores. Quick, run! tongue.gif

ADD: HERE's another link with interesting info.

ADD: MORE IMAGES (Careful with the bandwidth, sonny).
enodr
v6 processor rev 2 (v61) with VFP support (320bogomips vs 125bogomips for the Nokia 770)... 128Mb RAM.... 256Mb Flash...

I want one!

Sharp? are you listening?
B_Lizzard
THIS blog contains a lot of valuable information, courtesy of a happy new N800 owner! The guy posted about 70 pictures of the N800 HERE. Enjoy smile.gif

The Chicago CompUSA megastore is confirmed to have some N800's in stock (At least they *did*). If anyone lives in the Chicago area, run! smile.gif
koen
QUOTE(enodr @ Jan 7 2007, 11:45 AM)
v6 processor rev 2 (v61) with VFP support (320bogomips vs 125bogomips for the Nokia 770)...

omap 2420 biggrin.gif
enodr
QUOTE(koen @ Jan 7 2007, 04:18 AM)
QUOTE(enodr @ Jan 7 2007, 11:45 AM)
v6 processor rev 2 (v61) with VFP support (320bogomips vs 125bogomips for the Nokia 770)...

omap 2420 biggrin.gif

OMG!

http://focus.ti.com/general/docs/wtbu/wtbu...&contentId=4671

2D/3D acceleration!!
adf
did any notice ir or usb or BT? how would a keyboard be connected?
B_Lizzard
It has USB (Albeit only USB slave, which is, I guess, what you meant when you said it has no USB), it has bluetooth 2.0, but no IR. You could use a BT keyboard.
fpp
It does have USB host, although it is not activated by default and the port is unpowered, so an appropriate cable or powered hub is needed. But you can connect an USB keyboard that way, or mount an external drive, etc.
BT is easier, of course, though more expensive.
adf
QUOTE(B_Lizzard @ Jan 7 2007, 08:10 PM)
It has USB (Albeit only USB slave, which is, I guess, what you meant when you said it has no USB), it has bluetooth 2.0, but no IR. You could use a BT keyboard.

Honestly I didn't see the mention of either. I kinda skimmed it. thanks
Tom61
Awesome! If Pandora runs on this, it'd be truely great, and going on my want list.

TI OMAP's tend to have a USB OTG port as their main port, and it looks like the only one availible on this processor. Only trouble is enabling host mode. On the 770, you had to put 5 Volts into the connector, and enable it software.

With FPU and 3D accel, PSX emulation would be possible at a decent speed, though the controls aren't laid out for it.
B_Lizzard
As koen said, the processor is an OMAP 2420. According to the maemo FAQ: "The processor is a 330-MHz, ARM11-based Texas Instruments (TI) OMAP 2420.".

Does anyone know how this compares to the (more common) Xscales?
koen
QUOTE(B_Lizzard @ Jan 8 2007, 11:58 AM)
As koen said, the processor is an OMAP 2420. According to the maemo FAQ: "The processor is a 330-MHz, ARM11-based Texas Instruments (TI) OMAP 2420.".

Does anyone know how this compares to the (more common) Xscales?

http://maemo.org/pipermail/maemo-developer...ary/006812.html

*and* the vfp is ~10 times faster as softfloat and ~100-500 times faster as hardfloat
B_Lizzard
tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif blink.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif blink.gif blink.gif

I'm certainly getting this as a replacement to my (aging) Jornada 690!
freizugheit
Can someone shed some lights on the comparison with Sony's Mylo?
speculatrix
QUOTE(freizugheit @ Jan 9 2007, 02:25 AM)
Can someone shed some lights on the comparison with Sony's Mylo?

I took a quick look at a mylo whilst in phoenix, it's small and unimpressive physically, so much so that the US$350 seemed a joke!

I think the Nokia could wipe the floor with it if packaged right, especially with GPS support.

The new apple iPhone will really get things buzzing!
xjqian
Went to my local CompUSA for a pick-up. Spotted the N800 there for $399 and N770 for $349. Since the store is not in a very populated area, I guess it's a national launch in most of the CompUSA. I'm surprised the older N770 didn't get much discount.
speculatrix
QUOTE(xjqian @ Jan 10 2007, 08:22 AM)
Went to my local CompUSA for a pick-up. Spotted the N800 there for $399 and N770 for $349. Since the store is not in a very populated area, I guess it's a national launch in most of the CompUSA. I'm surprised the older N770 didn't get much discount.

I was very disappointed that the N800 came out too late for me to visit a compusa whilst in USA, but maybe just as well otherwise I might have accidentally bought one! The specs are definitely something to drool over.

What Nokia need to do is produce an accessory BT keyboard which can be clipped on, with some sort of stand or hinge for the N800 to turn it into a clamshell. Maybe the PocketPenguin project could morph into a desktop converter/docking station for the N800.
speculatrix
N800 main page
support

there's no mention of it on the UK web site, so I wonder how long we'll have to wait for it to be available here.

my brother is in the USA at the moment, I am very sorely tempted to ask him to buy me one... but then I'd have to sell one of my other devices!
Ferret-Simpson
Anyone want to compare that Omap to the Freescale iMX31?

Also has Floating Point/3D/USB2-480/DDR266/AnythingelsebutSDHC. . .
Da_Blitz
dont need to compare really, they are both arm11 processors with diffrent peripherals, the iMX.3 has the clock speed edge however and probelly memorey accsess as well (does the nokia use ddr?) more importantly i think that the crossbar switch would see the iMX.3 performe better under load (more responsive, higher thouruput on multiple high IO)

ive always wondereed, is SDHC software or hardware as well?

anyway thanks koen for the stuff about the ar11, do you have a link to numbers at all. it just confirms my decision to go with a chip with vfp

cant wait to see how this handels 3D tasks, couple this with the dual proc stuff and it could make for a very meaty (not in the pda version) computer
swing
QUOTE(speculatrix @ Jan 10 2007, 12:50 PM)
there's no mention of it on the UK web site, so I wonder how long we'll have to wait for it to be available here.
It's available already...
Nokia N800 Direct Webpage although I agree there's no mention of it on the UK website.
speculatrix
QUOTE(swing @ Jan 10 2007, 11:45 PM)
QUOTE(speculatrix @ Jan 10 2007, 12:50 PM)
It's available already...
Nokia N800 Direct Webpage although I agree there's no mention of it on the UK website.

odd, it asks for my country, if I select USA it tells me the price, so I clicked back and tried different european countries and none, not even scandinavian countries which is Nokia's origin.
koen
QUOTE(Da_Blitz @ Jan 10 2007, 01:46 PM)
ive always wondereed, is SDHC software or hardware as well?

According to sandisk it's software.
swing
QUOTE(speculatrix @ Jan 11 2007, 11:46 AM)
odd, it asks for my country, if I select USA it tells me the price, so I clicked back and tried different european countries and none, not even scandinavian countries which is Nokia's origin.
Strange - it goes straight to the UK N800 Buy page for me (£269), although it's possible I've told Nokia I'm in the UK on previous accesses of their website.
speculatrix
QUOTE(swing @ Jan 11 2007, 12:41 PM)
QUOTE(speculatrix @ Jan 11 2007, 11:46 AM)
Strange - it goes straight to the UK N800 Buy page for me (£269), although it's possible I've told Nokia I'm in the UK on previous accesses of their website.

ah, it's a weird cookie + javscript problem.. deleted my cookies.. when I went to the page, it asked me to select country, I chose UK, and it then said nothing found. clicked back, reloaded and the UK page appeared - GBP269, which is quite a mark up compared to US$400.
lardman
anyway thanks koen for the stuff about the ar11, do you have a link to numbers at all. it just confirms my decision to go with a chip with vfp

If anyone reading this has one, take a look here and post some output please:

http://people.bath.ac.uk/enpsgp/benchmarks/ (use the *.vfp.out binaries for the N800, *.softvfp.out for the N700).

This can be compared with existing data for the Zaurus here: http://www.oesf.org/forums/index.php?showt...51&hl=benchmark

I'll have to recompile the Zaurus benchmarks so people can compare on newer hardware (or look in the compiling_things.txt file in the above directory for links to the code and compiling instructions).

Si
Serge
lardman, what is the point in benchmarking nonoptimized code (you don't have any of -O options specified (-Os, -O2 or -O3) in compiling_things.txt)?

By the way, some tests benchmarking video decoding performance (also for N800) have been done in this thread (lower time is better). But compilation options were not quite the same, Nokia 770 and N800 mplayer binaries were compiled with -O4 option (it is default in upstream mplayer configure/makefile), and zaurus tests were compiled with -Os.
kahm
Gah. The Nokia online shop doesn't even *list* Canada! AARGH sad.gif
lardman
lardman, what is the point in benchmarking nonoptimized code (you don't have any of -O options specified (-Os, -O2 or -O3) in compiling_things.txt)?

I simply wanted a comparison between the two Nokias, it shouldn't make any difference whether the code is optimised or not, as theonly difference between the compilations was the soft or hard float option.

I agree that if we were comparing with the Zaurus or some other platform with a different compiler (so it can't run the same code) then it would make a difference.

With that said, I'll produce the optimised benchmarks too.

For the record, these are the results from my Nokia 770 (unoptimised code):

CODE
Nokia770-39:/home/user# ./whetstone.softvfp.out
Loops: 1000, Iterations: 1, Duration: 13 sec.
C Converted Double Precision Whetstones: 7.7 MIPS

Nokia770-39:/home/user# ./dhry.softvfp.out
<snip>
Microseconds for one run through Dhrystone:    6.4
Dhrystones per Second:                      156250.0

Si
Bombur
QUOTE(kahm @ Jan 11 2007, 11:36 AM)
Gah. The Nokia online shop doesn't even *list* Canada! AARGH sad.gif

Tigerdirect carries the N800 but does not advertise it on the canadian site. I had to call in to confirm.

J.
speculatrix
http://mobilecrunch.com/2007/01/18/nokia-n...-one-months-use

"N800 Photos Posted a.k.a. Thwarted by My NDA
Sometimes being tight with a company is a double edged sword. Take the recent unveiling of the Nokia N800. Iíd been using the device daily for a month but couldnít post the images or do an unboxing because I am under NDA to the company; thatís the admission price I paid to have access to the N800 before anyone else in North America."
Bombur
QUOTE(speculatrix @ Jan 19 2007, 01:48 AM)
http://mobilecrunch.com/2007/01/18/nokia-n...-one-months-use

"N800 Photos Posted a.k.a. Thwarted by My NDA
Sometimes being tight with a company is a double edged sword. Take the recent unveiling of the Nokia N800. Iíd been using the device daily for a month but couldnít post the images or do an unboxing because I am under NDA to the company; thatís the admission price I paid to have access to the N800 before anyone else in North America."

Hi Speculatrix,

Yeah, bought one on the day it became available here in North America. Took some getting used to compared to the Z but overall a very sweet device.
I put a 4GB SD card into it and the unit worked right off the hop.

J.
Antikx
If you have the time I 'm sure a number of us would appreciate a mini-review.
speculatrix
QUOTE(Antikx @ Jan 23 2007, 06:42 AM)

yeah, I would like to see a three-way comparison... living with the Nokia 800, 770 and zaurus

covering web browsing, voip telephony, media playback, networking with wifi and bluetooth, developing your own applications, and general use + battery life.
Fushnchupsh
Aye, this is something I would really love to see as well. Especially considering the processor speed on the nokia is not really comparable in mhz

QUOTE(speculatrix @ Jan 23 2007, 03:35 AM)
QUOTE(Antikx @ Jan 23 2007, 06:42 AM)

yeah, I would like to see a three-way comparison... living with the Nokia 800, 770 and zaurus

covering web browsing, voip telephony, media playback, networking with wifi and bluetooth, developing your own applications, and general use + battery life.

fpp
All of that info (and more) is readily available here :
http://www.internettablettalk.com/

Of course they talk about as much of the Zaurus there than we of the Nokia here, but I guess one can compare with his own experience :-)
chiark
Any clues on battery life? Nokia say 3 hours of use, which ain't exactly hot.
Snappy
I was like -->| |<-- this close to having an N800 in my hands today! ... went to compusa and they only have it in the box ... no display sets!!! grrr ... and the 770's batt is dead! bummer!
speculatrix
I see Infosync have finally reviewed it:

summary:
http://www.infosyncworld.com/reviews/n/7427.html

review:
http://www.infosyncworld.com/reviews/n/7427.html

they only gave it 73%
speculatrix
QUOTE(freizugheit @ Feb 9 2007, 10:29 AM)

erm, cut n paste error? these URLs were the same!
freizugheit
The right URL:
http://www.osnews.com/story.php/17092/Revi...Internet-Tablet
ZDevil
After reading some of the reviews and posts in internettablettalk, I got a vague impression that N800 can run debian packages. Can anyone confirm that?
macemoneta
I reviewed the N800 here:

http://slashdot.org/~macemoneta/journal/

Alternate locations:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/linux/blog/m...N800_Experience
http://macemoneta.blogspot.com/

Overall very interesting, but the software catalog is small with little change. Without an infusion of developers, this product will fade away.
speculatrix
QUOTE(macemoneta @ Feb 21 2007, 06:47 AM)
I reviewed the N800 here:

hmm, very interesting. whilst I was initially very excited, I don't think I'll be trading my z 3100 for an n800 until a combo slide-on hard-case mini keyboard is available for the N800.
tml
QUOTE(macemoneta @ Feb 21 2007, 07:47 AM)

The more I read about it, the less I understand what it is actually good at. An internet tablet with a 4'' with less than 4 Hrs runtime doesn't seems an exceedingly convincing concept to me.

If it had a set of good PIM apps, it would be ok. If it had umts connectivity, it would be ok. If it had a keyboard, it would be ok. Somehow I have the impression that something is missing here.
cvmiller
QUOTE(tml @ Feb 21 2007, 02:24 AM)
QUOTE(macemoneta @ Feb 21 2007, 07:47 AM)

The more I read about it, the less I understand what it is actually good at. An internet tablet with a 4'' with less than 4 Hrs runtime doesn't seems an exceedingly convincing concept to me.

If it had a set of good PIM apps, it would be ok. If it had umts connectivity, it would be ok. If it had a keyboard, it would be ok. Somehow I have the impression that something is missing here.

Having just purchased an N800, I can answer some of the questions. The battery life is getting better. I just went 36 hours with the N800 connected to my WLAN. I wasn't playing with it all of those 36 hours (I did sleep), but anytime I wanted to, I picked it up and did things. I also had a ssh session into the N800 from my latop the entire time.

PIM apps are there in the form of GPE PIM apps. I haven't loaded them all, but the Calendar is nice (not perfect, but neither is the Z's).

I understand, and have seen videos of people connecting to the Internet via their bluetooth phones. But haven't done this myself (data plans are horribly expensive in Canada).

I did buy a Think Outside Bluetooth keyboard, which works quite nicely. I take a lot of notes on my Z and now N800, so a keyboard was a given.

The N800 is far from perfect (there is a problem with it corrupting 8GB SDHC cards right now). But it is a nice upgrade from my SL-6000 (double the RAM, double the flash, Skype, as well as SIP phone, Opera 8.5, and Flash 9, and the ability to take 2 SDHC cards).

Craig...
speculatrix
I think the N800 has a definite niche. Having had both a 6000 and 3200 I realised that once I was used to a PDA with a proper keyboard I didn't want to go back to a thumboard; however, I am adept with Palm Graffiti (v1) and still use my T3 as a PIM and never think "if it only had a keyboard". I've not tried an N800, but if it had good (even if stylised like Graffiti) handwriting recog, I'd probably be happy.

The Palm Foleo has also been an interesting failure, had the price been right and it'd been smaller, I'd have considered one as the equivalent of a big brother to the Z. So far, noone's been bold enough to make such a thing, perhaps until the new Fujitsu?

Consumers are fickle, and the only company who can seem to sell anything no matter whether it's overpriced or underfeatured is Apple.
mars
Having both an n800 and a C-3100 (pdaxii), I find I reach for the nokia for the internet experience and the zaurus for everything else.

My two biggest frustrations on the n800 are (1) lack of built-in keyboard (yes, I have a bluetooth keyboard); and (2) the non-standard (hildon) user interface.

The apps that have been designed for the n800 are pretty cool and innovative, and there is an active developer community -- but it does not seem as easy as a straight compile or access to full debian as in titchy for zaurus. The zaurus has a bigger stable of traditional applications.

The n800 does have a very rich python environment, so many of the new and cool apps are written in that.

The n800 is also a fine media player device, although, subjectively, I find mplayer on the zaurus to be better performing. There are some innovative audio players for the n800, my favorite being a port of exaile for its interface and ogg playing abilities. But I still prefer xmms (not available on the nokia) for many of my purposes.
speculatrix
I am wondering whether we zaurians could tap into the software library of the N800 if we could install a few compatibility libraries - I've given up on extracting a working Skype from the Sony Mylo, but there's one on the Nokia, also there's a google talk app with voice which would be nice.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2015 Invision Power Services, Inc.