Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best Sl-c3200 Distribution
OESF Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Model Specific Forums > C1000/3x00 General discussions
alvises
Hi all. I' m a new zaurus' user.
I have noticed that there are a lot of Linux distribution for the zaurus. But what are the differences between Oz, pdaXrom and Sharp rom and what's the best for 3200 ?
I need to read html-mail, ssh , vnc , X11, ruby, Gcc , airodump, a good browser and bluetooth umts connection (with bluetooth CF). I have seen that there are firefox, vnc viewer and server , ssh, sshd etc.. for zaurus but I hope that a distribution with all these fantastic programs doesn't boot slowly and i need a fast boot to use (sometimes) the Zaurus like a normal palm.
I' ve tried to go to the wiki page of openzaurus, but "forbidden" message has come's out, anyone know where i can get install istructions ?

Thanks.

Alvise
koen
If you want a fast boot and a lot of packages available by default (e.g. not having to add a zillion feeds), you want OpenZaurus
Capn_Fish
QUOTE(alvises @ Jan 7 2007, 01:35 PM)
Hi all. I' m a new zaurus' user.
I have noticed that there are a lot of Linux distribution for the zaurus. But what are the differences between Oz, pdaXrom  and Sharp rom and what's the best for 3200 ?
I need to read html-mail,  ssh , vnc , X11, ruby, Gcc , airodump,  a good browser and bluetooth umts connection (with bluetooth CF). I have seen that there are firefox, vnc viewer and server , ssh, sshd etc.. for zaurus but I hope that a distribution with all these fantastic programs doesn't boot slowly and i need a fast boot to use (sometimes) the Zaurus like a normal palm.
I' ve tried to go to the wiki page of openzaurus, but "forbidden" message has come's out, anyone know where i can get install istructions ?

Thanks.

Alvise

I know pdaXrom has ssh, VNC, X11, Ruby, GCC, and Firefox. I don't know about airodump, html-mail, and bluetooth umts.

If by "boot slowly" you mean slow to get into a working state, I think all ROMs have a suspend feature so you get instant-on after booting for the first time. You do have to reboot after losing all power (dead battery, removing battery, etc.), but that is much faster after the first boot.
speculatrix
QUOTE(koen @ Jan 7 2007, 08:37 PM)
If you want a fast boot and a lot of packages available by default (e.g. not having to add a zillion feeds), you want OpenZaurus

how about if you want documentation with your system tongue.gif
Meanie
QUOTE(speculatrix @ Jan 8 2007, 04:22 PM)
QUOTE(koen @ Jan 7 2007, 08:37 PM)

how about if you want documentation with your system tongue.gif

Sharp ROM would be it then smile.gif one thick manual for all your documentation needs if you can read Japanese wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.