Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Text Editor For Pdax With Complex Search?
OESF Forums > General Forums > General Support and Discussion > Software
kahm
I've got a whole bunch of text files from around the web, and they have various symptoms of format nastyness. I've decided to spend my bus ride time sorting them out.

A lot of these files are text files with hard returns every ~80 characters. On a desktop I'd use something like Word to search out double returns and replace them with a marker, then replace all the remaining returns with spaces, then replace the markers with double returns.

On my 3100, I can do that with Textmaker. On my 3000, with pdaXii13, I tried to do that with Abiword - but Abiword's search function doesn't support any special or formatting characters whatsoever - It's basically on the same level as Notepad! I'm getting tired of toting 2 Z's everywhere I go, so I'm hoping to find a solution under pdaXrom.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm trying to prep these files so that I can read them on my Librie ebook reader.
InSearchOf
Well... a from a geek level you can use vi...

:s/*orig*/*replace/


I think that is what it is... google "search replace vi" and you will get good results...

Late
Drake01
I thought I saw nedit compiled for PdaXrom. nedit supports regular expression search and replace. It's very competent and fast running on a desktop... probably a little slower on a Z, but it should do what you want.
cvmiller
QUOTE(Drake01 @ Jan 8 2007, 03:40 PM)
I thought I saw nedit compiled for PdaXrom.  nedit supports regular expression search and replace.  It's very competent and fast running on a desktop... probably a little slower on a Z, but it should do what you want.
*


Nedit is pretty slick, I even use it in Xqt (don't have PDAX, sorry). But if you have a bunch of files, you might try sed and a short bash script. Using the sed command with something like
sed -e 's/\n//g' filename > new_filename

Or you could put that into a bash loop like this:
CODE
for f in *.txt
{
sed  -e 's/\n//g' $f >  ${f%%.txt}.text
}

That would rip out all the returns in every txt file in the directory, creating a new set of files ending in text. Once you are happy with the conversion, you can delete all the txt files.

Hope this helps,

Craig...
kahm
Heh! Just the sort of answer I should have expected. smile.gif I'll probably end up resorting to scripting something, just because Abiword performs so much better than Textmaker does. I can work around the only other niggles I have with Abiword.

I'll look up nedit though. I'm getting old enough that I'll take the easy way out if I can smile.gif That, and my regular expressions were never that good to begin with...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.