Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Zaurus Out Of Production?
OESF Forums > General Forums > General Support and Discussion > General Discussion
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
qaz
Bad news on z-portal:
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=e...n-gb%26hs%3DN5b
Jon_J
looks blank to me.
harvell
I found it in the forum section. Here is the key comments

How I experienced from Japan, SHARP does not seem to be interested in a further production of the Zaurus PDAs in the current form any more. Over a direct successor me at present also nothing is well-known.

Take it easy, I will have the Zaurus further in the offer, as well as accessories and support for it will carry out.

Christoph
www.pulster.de

unsure.gif unsure.gif unsure.gif
TRIsoft
Hi all,

yes, we have to confirm that Sharp pulled the plug out
of the Zaurus line.
No successor model is planned, and the end of production
will be early February.
For sure we'll continue with support, service and accessories
for the Zauri. Also there're interesting other products around,
so the fun with mobile Linux products is definitely not over.

///TRIsoft

Marc Stephan
zmiq2
Wow, what a sad news.

It's interesting that while all manufacturers are getting into this umpc-micropc area, sharp, with a great product and experience is quitting.

Even there are appearing many alternatives as a replacement, my heart will always be for the lovely zaurus.
Hrw
Finally.
cpulster
QUOTE(harvell @ Jan 12 2007, 10:22 AM)
How I experienced from Japan, SHARP does not seem to be interested in a further production of the Zaurus PDAs in the current form any more. Over a direct successor me at present also nothing is well-known. Christoph -www.pulster.de

I confirm this info. But hey, I better speak English like translation those wink.gif

The Pulster Zaurus Shop will supply Zaurus units (C-1000/32000 and SL-5500/6000 series), a lot of accessories and help.

Christoph
hermocom
and for how much time you (Pulster, Trisoft, other suppliers) will be able to supply Zaurus units and repair service?
How long will the stocks last?

Thanks,

Daniel
ZDevil
Personally, end of product line =/= end of my interest.
For now I still find my Z hardly replaceable by other handheld products in terms of form factor and flexibility. There are still many funny and useful stuff that can be ported to Z, and they can run pretty well. rolleyes.gif
Antikx
IMO, it's a sad day.
I will need to grieve for a while.
Jon_J
It seems strange that Sharp is the innovator of this mini laptop/dictionary and came out with it quite some time ago, that they now drop it, while a lot of other people are now trying to copy it, or already have a close replacement for it.
Sharp seems to have their hands in many technologies, they are now producing the blue laser for blu-ray and hd-dvd units.
Jon_J
QUOTE(Antikx @ Jan 12 2007, 09:52 AM)
IMO, it's a sad day.

I feel the same way Antikx, you have really put a whole lot of effort into your website and everyone here appreciates it.
I'm not giving up my Z, as a matter of a fact, I have a new C3200 on order. smile.gif

EDIT: You pulled many of us through the downtime when OESF forums were offline during last Xmas time period.
cycle_55
I will also not give up on my C3100 and am wondering what will happen now as both pdaxrom and Oz are unfinished. Instead of replacing my laptop as I planned I should maybe think about a C3200 as a backup to my C3100. A sad day indeed.
gr8ful
I hope the end of the Zaurus era means the dawning of another. Sharp has there fingers in a lot of pies (pdas, phones, dvd, dictionaries, lcd, etc, etc.). Sharp may possibly have a UMPC or similar type device up their sleeve that will carry a different brand name.

I can't see them abandoning this area of the market. I wouldn't be surprised to see a remodeled W-Zero3 type device. Be nice if it ran linux (Qt phone), but would likely be a Windows device.
dougeeebear
It's a world-wide day of mourning.
InSearchOf
I know I will continue working on pdaXrom... I'm actually going to prolly buy a 3200 soon... hopefully new before everyone sells out... peferably from pricejapan...

But this does suck... because... as time passes... kernels, applications, etc get more memory, resource, processor intensive... and knowing that the Zaurus aren't going to be able to move with the changes... really does suck... but hey... I'm still here for the long run...

Late
InSearchOf
Oh... and I just pinned this thread....

Late
HoloVector
Well, I can't say I am all that surprised by this annoucement. I just thought that Sharp would release one more 3x00 model before migrating over to the Papyrus line. That turned out to be wishful thinking on my part.

Also, the Zaurus will continue to be available for a while after the stop production date; it just means that Sharp won't be building anymore. Trust me I have been through this experience before first with the Sharp PC series and then Psion (see my sig below).

I've said this elsewhere on these forums and I'll repeat it again.

"Even the day that Sharp completely pulls the plug on the Zaurus line it will not die unless this community and others like it will let it die.

The Zaurus is one of those rare products that has dedicated communities behind it that strive to push it past the pigeon-holed niche that Sharp has decided to stuff it into. I consider myself honoured to be a part such a great and helpful community like this one."

Well that day has finally come; if we stick together we can move past this, continue to grow the Zaurus experience and make it a legendary product with an active supportive hobbiest community like the Tandy Model 100, the Commodore 64, Atari 2600, and Sega DreamCast communities.

We have alot going for us. The various 2.6 kernel distros (sorry ROMs) are coming along nicely thanks to the OZ, pdaXROM, and Angstrom teams. The 2.4 kernel distros (sorry ROMs) are either nicely polished (Cacko) or very close to it (Pdaxii13) thanks to Maslovsky, Meanie and the pdaXrom team. So keep the faith. smile.gif
koen
QUOTE(InSearchOf @ Jan 12 2007, 05:11 PM)
I know I will continue working on pdaXrom... I'm actually going to prolly buy a 3200 soon... hopefully new before everyone sells out... peferably from pricejapan...

But this does suck... because... as time passes... kernels, applications, etc get more memory, resource, processor intensive... and knowing that the Zaurus aren't going to be able to move with the changes... really does suck... but hey... I'm still here for the long run...

Late

and...did...you...know...that...proper...interpuction...helps...readability...a.
.lot...?...
InSearchOf
Thanks... Koen....

Late
Antikx
QUOTE(Jon_J @ Jan 12 2007, 10:14 AM)
QUOTE(Antikx @ Jan 12 2007, 09:52 AM)
IMO, it's a sad day.

I feel the same way Antikx, you have really put a whole lot of effort into your website and everyone here appreciates it.
I'm not giving up my Z, as a matter of a fact, I have a new C3200 on order. smile.gif

EDIT: You pulled many of us through the downtime when OESF forums were offline during last Xmas time period.

Thanks.
Ya I don't intend on shutting down the site anytime soon. Like I've mentioned before the Tandy Model 10X community (AFAIK) is still alive and well despite it being out of production for decades.
If a Linux based PDA comes out that surpasses the Zaurus I will start saving my pennies but will probably always have a Zaurus or two kicking around my house.
harvell
QUOTE(dougeeebear @ Jan 12 2007, 08:31 AM)

laugh.gif That's funny.
gr8ful
The time is right for a palmtop running a full desktop Linux distro. Why should the OQO & Flipstart have all the fun. If Sharp won't step up to the plate, I believe someone else will before too long.
Antikx
QUOTE(dougeeebear @ Jan 12 2007, 10:31 AM)

Meanie's pdaxii13 stuff is still available in case anyone needs them.
relapse808
I saw the sony UX390N UMPC at CES and I was very impressed. It was running vista and confirmed with sony that it can dual boot with linux. This would suit my portable needs but a 2599 price tag is just way too much. Hopefully some decent and cheap UMPC's come out to satisfy my mobile technology interest.
Hrw
QUOTE(Jon_J @ Jan 12 2007, 06:09 PM)
Sharp seems to have their hands in many technologies, they are now producing the blue laser for blu-ray and hd-dvd units.

Sharp always preffered to be technology creator rather then device creator. They released c700 to show their new CG Silicon screens to the world.

QUOTE(cycle_55 @ Jan 12 2007, 06:19 PM)
I will also not give up on my C3100 and am wondering what will happen now as both pdaxrom and Oz are unfinished.

OpenZaurus developers are working on 3.5.5 release for all existing models (except SL-A300 as usual). After release most of us will probably concentrate on fixing bugs, adding software and will move to Ångström distribution as this is future of embedded distros.
speculatrix
I feel very sad. I'm a relative late-comer to the Zaurus - about 18 months now but have come to love it; when I bought an 860 the excitement was immense as each discovery took place of new things it was capable of!

I wonder why Sharp have finished the line, when it's said to be have been a very popular product in Japan? Perhaps the W-Zero line has been so much more successful? Maybe we can hope that a 3rd party will buy the design and product like Hitachi did with the Flora and keep selling it.

I anticipate a price rise as people sitting on the fence decide to jump onboard (to nicely mix metaphors), just as happened when the 6000 was cancelled.

One thing for sure, I will be taking greater care of my baby, now that I know it's going to be irreplaceable. I am wondering whether to buy a C1000 as a backup and/or experimental machine.
harvell
Viva EL POCKETPENGUIN!!!!!!! Por Vida!!!!!

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
cpulster
> and for how much time you (Pulster, Trisoft, other suppliers) will be able to supply Zaurus units and repair service?

Easy to answer: as long as there are customers, I will stock Zaurus.
Coming from the world of PSION PDAs, the Psion Series 3 was out of production 1996. Today, ten years later I am still selling some of this models. Quality products last long time.

Christoph
HoloVector
QUOTE(speculatrix @ Jan 12 2007, 12:16 PM)
I feel very sad. I'm a relative late-comer to the Zaurus - about 18 months now but have come to love it; when I bought an 860 the excitement was immense as each discovery took place of new things it was capable of!

I wonder why Sharp have finished the line, when it's said to be have been a very popular product in Japan? Perhaps the W-Zero line has been so much more successful? Maybe we can hope that a 3rd party will buy the design and product like Hitachi did with the Flora and keep selling it.

I anticipate a price rise as people sitting on the fence decide to jump onboard (to nicely mix metaphors), just as happened when the 6000 was cancelled.

One thing for sure, I will be taking greater care of my baby, now that I know it's going to be irreplaceable. I am wondering whether to buy a C1000 as a backup and/or experimental machine.

You won't regret getting a 1000. Having a Sandbox and Production machines means having less worries about messing things up. As a bonus lots of the parts are interchangeable for that fateful day. cool.gif
HoloVector
QUOTE(Antikx @ Jan 12 2007, 12:03 PM)
QUOTE(dougeeebear @ Jan 12 2007, 10:31 AM)

Meanie's pdaxii13 stuff is still available in case anyone needs them.

Thank you that is very much appreciated. As is all the work you have put into your site. It is awesome.
Cresho
Curious to see battery life in my unit. How long will my battery work till it's dead? Where can we get battery replacements? sad.gif
HoloVector
QUOTE(Cresho @ Jan 12 2007, 01:33 PM)
Curious to see battery life in my unit.  How long will my battery work till it's dead?  Where can we get battery replacements?  sad.gif

That is pretty much my only concern about the production stop right now.

If Sharp continues to use the pack in other devices then we should be okay since the pack will continue to be manufactured. If they don't then the pack will be the Achilles Heel of the Zaurus since lithium batteries also have a finite shelf life. Does the W-Zero-3 use an EA-BL11? I can't remember.

Of course, if the third party manufactuers in China got their acts together and actually made a replacement Zaurus battery that works out of the box (carving plastic on a brand new battery with an Exacto knife! blink.gif ) this could become a non-issue as well.
HoloVector
QUOTE(Hrw @ Jan 12 2007, 12:15 PM)
QUOTE(Jon_J @ Jan 12 2007, 06:09 PM)

Sharp always preffered to be technology creator rather then device creator. They released c700 to show their new CG Silicon screens to the world.

QUOTE(cycle_55 @ Jan 12 2007, 06:19 PM)
I will also not give up on my C3100 and am wondering what will happen now as both pdaxrom and Oz are unfinished.

OpenZaurus developers are working on 3.5.5 release for all existing models (except SL-A300 as usual). After release most of us will probably concentrate on fixing bugs, adding software and will move to Ångström distribution as this is future of embedded distros.

That's great to hear. Thanks for all your hard work.
dougeeebear
IMHO, a zaurus should last as long as any other well-cared-for computer or piece of electronic equipment.
Most zaurus wounds are user-inflicted.
I would also think that support should last for one year after the very last new zaurus is sold, and new parts made available.
And with all the zaurus users, used units and parts should be available for some time to come.
ArchiMark
Understand and basically agree with your analysis, hrw....

But I still feel a bit sad to see the Z's not continue...

Of course, went through the same thing with the Newt too and got over it....even went to the protest rally at Apple headquarters over it...didn't do any good but we felt better....

rolleyes.gif

QUOTE(Hrw @ Jan 12 2007, 12:43 PM)
speculatrix
QUOTE(Hrw @ Jan 12 2007, 08:43 PM)

One the one hand I hate the idea of the end of the zaurus line. However, I can see your point of view and slightly agree that perhaps we're better off that Sharp no longer sell a device which is so poorly supported - it opens up the market to a newcomer who won't have to compete with Sharp... for example, Nokia might now consider a clamshell variation of the N800, and the PocketPenguin suddenly has no competitor.

This could also focus attention on getting the HTC universal linux port up to scratch.
TRIsoft
Hi all,
QUOTE(dougeeebear @ Jan 12 2007, 09:02 PM)
I would also think that support should last for one year after the very last new zaurus is sold, and new parts made available.

support and spare parts will be available for a very long period.
Sharp is well known for spare part support lasting 5+ years after
the last unit left the factory. Today we have still access to parts
for 10 year old devices, so we don't worry about it.

Also accessories and batteries (3rd party) will still be available.
Don't forget about the real big numbers of Zauri in Japan, so
there's a noticeable demand for batteries and options for the
next years.

///TRIsoft

Marc Stephan
mimeca

That's a very good thing.

next years.

The PSP charger looks compatible with Zaurus (on some models...)
Capn_Fish
QUOTE(cycle_55 @ Jan 12 2007, 11:19 AM)
I will also not give up on my C3100 and am wondering what will happen now as both pdaxrom and Oz are unfinished. Instead of replacing my laptop as I planned I should maybe think about a C3200 as a backup to my C3100. A sad day indeed.

I would assume that they will be developed for while to come, as there will still be Z users.
adf
I pretty much agree with hrw's assessment. I like my z's, and don't plan to get rid of them. But if i buy another handheld gizmo this year it will probably be a neo--it migh have been a new nokia. It would not have been a Zaurus. Ireally never expected to buy a Z after my 3100. Dablitz's project sounds interesting, the neo cold be the start of somehthing really cool, and nokia seems to be giving the linux handheld a serious effort.

Sharp wasn't taking the technology in any of the interesting directions it might have gone--and as hrw points out, we could all have guessed that the Z wasn't going to evolve simply based on the fact that the (sharp) software never did.

I really enjoy these forums (and plan to continue the use of my Z for some time yet) and I expect we will find a few devices that either are running linux, or will run linux nicely, and we will move on to those with a few nostalgic comments about the Z and maybe more commens along the line of "how did we ever live with out feature X?"
cycle_55

[/quote]

How far along is Ångström as compared to Oz and pdaxrom. Thanks.

cycle_55
Cyberdoc1971
All of this is something that I feared, I just returned to work this week and my company stopped development for the Z last month. Just makes you wonder where linux will go to in a PDA form factor? Still trying to sell my Z (C3100), but seems like a bad time of year to buy. Also, with Sharp closing out the Z line, it looks like the age of the PDA is coming to a close, especially with all of the converged devices out there like the treo and the iphone.
adgil
As many of the oesf people would know by now (although I could not read the article above..), sharp's termination of zaurus is related to commercial success of new line of a wm smartphone named W-ZERO3, which hasn't long been popular in Japan because of oligopoly by communication careers. (and, one more thing, popularity of more simplistic electronic dictionary lines.)
This transition has been done as favor of a phs com module W-SIM, for which architectures are open, and now small group might be able to produce their linux mobile phones.

The problems I concern are...

Some W-SIM phones do not(and will not) have communication devices that can be used in western countries, eg Wifi, GSM. So selling and hacking these models are not expected in countries other than japan, china, taiwan, thai, and some african countries, in which the phs standard adopted.

Second, above all, zaurus's one and only sense of use and custmizability are no more garanteed.

Actually, I purchased W-ZERO3[es], may be the top seller in the W-SIM line, and have sold it and returned to SL-C760 in 2 months...

I hope anyone to produce linux-based clamshell pdas or W-ZERO3[es]'s linux rom soon...
cycle_55
I know this wasn't built for me but why does the W-ZERO3[es] need two keyboards...give me a bigger screen.

cycle_55
Snappy
Aye ... it's kinda sad ... but think of it this way ... AFAI am concerned, SHARP could have ceased production and I would not feel much of a diff, as they just release the products and don't really produce any ROM updates or anything as such.

OESF forums and the community has supported all of us way better than SHARP has done. smile.gif

I guess the one thing is that now there is no new Zaurii coming out for sure ... sad.gif
ZDevil
I remain hopeful for the *current* state of Z development. There are still lots of things we can do (distros and packages) to perfect and get the most out of this extraordinary gadget.
I will stay with Z for quite some while, perhaps until Neo1973 is out and creates another buzz. iPhone looks gorgeous, but its openness remains doubtful. laugh.gif
HoloVector
QUOTE(TRIsoft @ Jan 12 2007, 04:04 PM)
Hi all,
QUOTE(dougeeebear @ Jan 12 2007, 09:02 PM)

next years.

///TRIsoft

Marc Stephan

Thanks Marc. That is reassuring. Have you been able to source third party batteries that work out of the box without scraping the plastic around the terminals in order to get them to work with a Zaurus?
TRIsoft
Hi HoloVector,
QUOTE(HoloVector @ Jan 13 2007, 07:19 PM)
Have you been able to source third party batteries that work out of the box without scraping the plastic around the terminals in order to get them to work with a Zaurus?

sure. The batteries from Rowa (the ones we're selling for
the SL-5500 and the SL-C series) will work right out of
the blisterpack (no box biggrin.gif ). No modding or cutting is
required (this would be poor quality from the maker).

They aren't actually on the website, but in our shop. We have
them for a year now and received no complaints.

///TRIsoft

Marc Stephan
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.