Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nokia E61 = Light Zaurus
OESF Forums > General Forums > General Support and Discussion > New products and alternatives
zmiq2
Hi,

I've been lately using my new Nokia E61 very extensively, even replacing the zaurus as more convenient for many occasions.

Pros:
Great connectivity: gsm, 3G, wifi, bluetooth
Integrated useful apps: VoIP, email (pop & imap)
Interesting 3rd party apps: ssh client (v2 with dsa private key), vnc viewer (not tested)
Can be programmed: python shell, free c++ environment
Great usability: qwerty keyboard with back lit sensor, big screen
Web browsing: integrated web browser (upgrade to latest fw required) runs much faster that firefox on OZ and renders nicely, and is javascript ajax capable ! (it's based on konqueror's rendering and javascript engines, like safari)
Smaller that zaurus
Accepts mini-sd card
It's a phone!

Cons:
It's not a zaurus
Wifi range could be better
Connectivity configuration menus could be greatly improved
No touchscreen? (I don't think that's a con per-se, but ...)

It's like having a lightweight zaurus with all ever-needed connectivity options. I'm planning a trip for 4 days, and I'm taking the E61 instead of the Z !!

note: I don't have any relationship with nokia, nor any other manufacturer. But maybe some developers may jump to the E61, and port OZ biggrin.gif
speculatrix
I've considered the E61 because it's quad band + 3G + wifi + bluetooth. It got good reports on pda247/moremobile247, but was stated as being a little bit weak as a PDA compared to Palm or WindowsMobile, perhaps trying to be too hard to be jack of all trades.

I am wondering whether the newer 3G usb dongles would work with the zaurus, seeing as there's no available CF 3G adaptors (there's PCMCIA ones).

I don't really want to dupe the zaurus' functionality in a phone, so my preferred upgrade for my ageing 6310i is an E70 (tri-band gsm, 3g, bluetooth, wifi).
zmiq2
Speculatrix,

if I were you I would quickly get rid of that 6310i, known as a very easily bluetooth hackable phone !
speculatrix
QUOTE(zmiq2 @ Feb 6 2007, 01:21 PM)
if I were you I would quickly get rid of that 6310i, known as a very easily bluetooth hackable phone !

thanks for the tip but I had it flashed to latest firmware only a few months ago.
gsgmx
QUOTE(zmiq2 @ Feb 6 2007, 01:38 PM)
Hi,

I've been lately using my new Nokia E61 very extensively, even replacing the zaurus as more convenient for many occasions.

Pros:
Great connectivity: gsm, 3G, wifi, bluetooth
Integrated useful apps: VoIP, email (pop & imap)
Interesting 3rd party apps: ssh client (v2 with dsa private key), vnc viewer (not tested)
Can be programmed: python shell, free c++ environment
Great usability: qwerty keyboard with back lit sensor, big screen
Web browsing: integrated web browser (upgrade to latest fw required) runs much faster that firefox on OZ and renders nicely, and is javascript ajax capable ! (it's based on konqueror's rendering and javascript engines, like safari)
Smaller that zaurus
Accepts mini-sd card
It's a phone!

Cons:
It's not a zaurus
Wifi range could be better
Connectivity configuration menus could be greatly improved
No touchscreen? (I don't think that's a con per-se, but ...)

i own an E61 since November i like many of its features, since a few days i have a 2GB mini SD installed and a german Mobipocket Wikipedia on it. Quite useful.
It syncs great with my Apple Powerbook (not native, had to install a plugin).
Opera 8.65 is availbale for it too.
I do miss the VGA display of the Zaurus and RDP/ICA and yes wired ethernet (i use a Symbol CF on my Zaurus)

George
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.