Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pdaxii13 Usage
OESF Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Distro Support and Discussion > pdaXrom
Meanie
which edition of pdaXii13 are you using and why?
danboid
Has anybody successfully pulled off a pdaXii13 Akita full on a C3x00 install yet?
radiochickenwax
QUOTE(danboid @ Feb 15 2007, 12:07 AM)
Has anybody successfully pulled off a pdaXii13 Akita full on a C3x00 install yet?

Depends on your definition of "successfully" but I'm using it. I don't think I'm alone here. I think Jon_J is at least one other user. [edit]: thought you said 3200, not 3x00. Sorry.

[edit]

Oh yeah, and I'd like to see pdaxii13 for the 6000, but... oh well....
Jon_J
I'm probably doing this "the hard way", but here is basically what I want to do with akita .
Install akita to flash and then do the following:
Install various packages to flash and to my ext3 partition
I'm breaking things down to two catagories.

1. Things that I want to run quickly
2. Things that I have patience to wait for to load and run.

1. All OS related stuff, tools, small utilities, and small apps, such as leafpad. (Run on Flash) There may also be some game related things that work better on flash, and I'm not sure, but does mplayer run better if installed onto flash?

2. Large programs such as Firefox, Gimp, and anything else I would consider a large package/application. These will go on my hard drive.
Fushnchupsh
I've been a proud pdaxrom since the get-go. Pdaxii13 was a natural transition as I need stability and like the idea of the usage of the microdrive.

Thanks for your hard work on Pdaxii13, Meanie.

--Fish (Zaurus C3200)
TheWalt
Spitz 5.2 Full on a SL-C3100. Having a nice big root with no links (ala OZ) appeals to me. I'm not one of those people who have to use the nand just because it is there. Plus, thanks to danboid and others, this was a pretty well tested and documented install.
HoloVector
I'm currently using pdaxii13 Akita base on my sandbox 1000. This is my first long term trial of pdaxrom so, once get the the hang of it I will be flashing my production 3200 to pdaxii13 Akita full since pdaxii13 will soon have the ultimate ScummVM port on it. biggrin.gif
danboid
JonJ:

Are you one of the people who has voted for pdaXii13 Akita full on a C3x00 or did you put yourself down as pdaXii13 Akita base on a C3x00? Personally, I'd say your install method is better described by the latter but I'm not really concerned if people have successfully installed in a similiar manner to you as thats the fiddly method I'm trying to avoid biggrin.gif

If anyone has installed pdaX Akita then the full hdimage and had it successfully boot on c3100 (or c3200 too I suppose) then please let me know what you need to do then I can update my install guide.
harvell
Akita is the only choice for my Akita. smile.gif
Jon_J
QUOTE(danboid @ Feb 14 2007, 08:33 PM)
JonJ:

Are you one of the people who has voted for pdaXii13 Akita full on a C3x00 or did you put yourself down as pdaXii13 Akita base on a C3x00? Personally, I'd say your install method is better described by the latter but I'm not really concerned if people have successfully installed in a similiar manner to you as thats the fiddly method I'm trying to avoid biggrin.gif

If anyone has installed pdaX Akita then the full hdimage and had it successfully boot on c3100 (or c3200 too I suppose) then please let me know what you need to do then I can update my install guide.
I voted akita base on C3x00
I basically want a lean setup, with very little additional stuff installed. This is for two reasons.
1. I just want the basic stuff to run quickly.
2. Since I'm such a Linux and pdaxrom newbie, I want to explore the basic workings, until I get some basic knowledge about it.
With a ton of stuff installed, I think it would take me longer to sort some of the basic stuff out.
Eventually, as I get "used" to pdaxii13 (or pdaxrom), I'll install my stuff as I mentioned in my other post. (#4)
radiochickenwax
Forgot to mention earlier my reasons for using pdaxii13. I don't have a lot of time to detail this as thoroughly as I'd like, but here's a start.

1. Mostly curiosity.
2. The method of building is very interesting since it seems to be done natively (without resorting to an x86 computer).
3. Automatic mounting of the internal microdrive to /usr. and /data (usb storage should work by default)
4. All of the contributed fixes to beta3 seem to end up in pdaxii13

those seem to be my top reasons.

great news that meanie's on the dev team now, looks like pdaxii13 is finally becoming official.
radiochickenwax
QUOTE(danboid @ Feb 15 2007, 02:33 AM)
JonJ:

For my 3200, I just followed the directions at http://www.tyrannozaurus.com/feed/pdaXii13/akita/

Copied the "full" hdimage to a CF card, rebooted (holding OK button) with all of the files from the above link at the root of the CF card. This got me to a modified pdaxrom installer script. (I mostly just went through the numbered steps the first time) The last step in the installer script is to reboot, which eventually brought me to the matchbox/openbox gui.

You're working on an install guide? Could you post a link to it here?
psycoman
i use pdaXii13 Akita full on a C3200, becouse it have all i need xD
stormer
I am using pdaXii akita base on my C3100, but I woulds use a Sally full version. apart from some wifi card recognition issues (sometimes I know you sometimes I don't) and my battery being flattened in approx 2-4 hours the world is a grand place!

I find the akita version much more responsive and stuff just works!
Thanks for all the hard work I will help as much as I can but two toddlers with chickenpox are soaking up most of my time at the moment!
danboid
radiochickenwax:

My pdaXii13 install guide is here

http://www.oesf.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=22711

I wrote this before Meanie released pdaXii13A when installing the spitz version in an odd way was the only option for 3x00 users who wanted to run pdaXii13.

My last attempt at installing pdaXii13A full was just after Meanie released ii13A 5.3 and ii13 hdimagefull 5.3b but install was unsuccessful (see the other pdaXii13 on c3000/ on NAND threads for my bug reports) but I know Meanie has at least slightly updated the akita files since then as I know he added the missing libXau but I don't know if he modified the install script/ initrd.bin etc.

Seeing as at least 3 people now seem to have upgraded ii13A to full successfully I will try again when Meanie releases the new 5.3 hdimage. Its funny how he wasn't even going to support Akita but now thats the most popular version.

A few questions for radiochickenwax + th other two people who are running ii13A full-

Did your pdaXii13A full install work first time? v5.3? I don't suppose you installed and booted into pdaXii13 Akita before running the installer again to install the hdimage? (I don't think that doing that would actually work anyway)
jpmatrix
QUOTE(Meanie @ Feb 15 2007, 02:00 AM)

pdaxii13 you know wink.gif (thank you again!)

i wanted to try something better than the stock sharp rom of my C3000 ... i tried openbsd (which really impressed me!) then pdaxii13 and alleluiaaaaaah !!!!!
radiochickenwax
QUOTE(danboid @ Feb 15 2007, 10:55 AM)
radiochickenwax:

My pdaXii13 install guide is here

I wrote this before Meanie released pdaXii13A when installing the spitz version in an odd way was the only option for 3x00 users who wanted to run pdaXii13.

My last attempt at installing pdaXii13A full was just after Meanie released ii13A 5.3 and ii13 hdimagefull 5.3b but install was unsuccessful (see the other pdaXii13 on c3000/ on NAND threads for my bug reports) but I know Meanie has at least slightly updated the akita files since then as I know he added the missing libXau but I don't know if he modified the install script/ initrd.bin etc.

Seeing as at least 3 people now seem to have upgraded ii13A to full successfully I will try again when Meanie releases the new 5.3 hdimage. Its funny how he wasn't even going to support Akita but now thats the most popular version.

A few questions for radiochickenwax + th other two people who are running ii13A full-

Did your pdaXii13A full install work first time? v5.3? I don't suppose you installed and booted into pdaXii13 Akita before running the installer again to install the hdimage? (I don't think that doing that would actually work anyway)

I'm about 80% sure that I booted into pdaXii13 before installing the hdimage, and that this worked the first time. This was right after an untouched beta3 install. I flashed at least twice since then, but I'm not keeping a good count. I'll try to start doing better this weekend. I think Jon_J has been doing this longer than me, so he might have a better record.

The thing that really got me going on pdaxii13 was when Meanie recompiled xterm, since I'd been taking some half-hearted stabs at that myself. Seems to be setup to run on pdaxii13 more smoothly than beta3.

It seems in my somewhat clouded view of things here, that the 3200 is quite different from the 3100. So I'm not sure if my experiences will be very helpful to you, unless you're considering a new purchase.

[edit]
I like the idea of keeping the install instructions separate, but probably linked together. It's good to hear that they're backed up on tyrannozaurus.

Hope I'm not going too far off topic, but I'd like to try to summarize a little since this is getting spread around a lot.

Pdaxii13 3100 install instructions, bugs and fixes <--> Tyrannozaurus Pdaxii13 3100 Install Instructions Backup

Installing Pdaxii13 to Nand for 1000,3100,or 3200

pdaxii13 for 3200

pdaxii13 for 3000

That's the most recent stuff on these forums I believe. Then there's Meanie's webpages and the additional Tyrannozaurus stuff.

Meanie's page: pdaXii13 - pdaXrom for SL-C3000

Meanie's (outdated but still useful) pdaxrom customizations

Meanie's pdaxii13 nand version (Sally)

Meanie's 5.2 (Alice) Builds

Meanie's Build Utilities
Maybe we should make a new thread for this. Does anyone think it would be a good idea to tie everything up a little bit and post them to the oesf/pdaxrom wiki? ...or do i just need to get more sleep?
mars
I think I backed into a 3100 Akita Full. First I followed the 5.2 Alice full instructions by danboid

Then I decided to reflash with the 3100 Akita Sally image to try to get a more responsive setup. The installer found everything that was already on the microdrive and linked appropriately. On the plus side reboots no longer take 10 min.

-mars
Antikx
Thanks for posting that, radiochickenwax.
markbedish
I am sticking with akita NAND on my 3200 for the time being after various issue with full.

Like Jon_J, I find it very responsive and I can add whatever programs I want to the microdrive if I dont have enough room in flash. The full version seems too slow at the moment, both launching and running apps and stylus inaccurate or unresponsive BUT ALL CREDIT to Meanie for giving us this opportunity and choice!

I will retry full version when I have more experience of the command line biggrin.gif
Meanie
note that Sally (pdaXii13 Akita) is already at 5.3.1 whereas Alice (pdaXii13 Spitz) is still being worked on, ie still 5.3 beta so those issues you are having will eventually get resolved when Alice gets to 5.3.1 also....
Meanie
note that Sally (pdaXii13 Akita) is already at 5.3.1 whereas Alice (pdaXii13 Spitz) is still being worked on, ie still 5.3 beta so those issues you are having will eventually get resolved when Alice gets to 5.3.1 also....

btw danboid, if you have not already noticed, you tried to upgrade from pdaXii13 Akita 5.3 (which was released) to pdaXii13 5.3 full when it wasn't even released yet, ie it wasn't announced yet and still in the progress of being uploaded. naturally you could not had gotten the complete file since it was only halfway uploaded and consequently your upgrade/install failed which was to be expected....
danboid
I still have that one unanswered question, I would suggest the answer to this be added to the Sally full upgrade install instructions, and that is-

Should you reboot after installing pdaXA base, let it boot, calibrate your screen etc. and then go back into the installer to install the hdimage or should you install the hdimage straight after installing base? Does it make a difference? Is it possible to do it either way without breaking anything?
Meanie
QUOTE(danboid @ Feb 16 2007, 09:34 PM)
I still have that one unanswered question, I would suggest the answer to this be added to the Sally full upgrade install instructions, and that is-

Should you reboot after installing pdaXA base, let it boot, calibrate your screen etc. and then go back into the installer to install the hdimage or should you install the hdimage straight after installing base? Does it make a difference? Is it possible to do it either way without breaking anything?

it is not mentioned because it doesn't matter. you can either install everything in one go, or install base first and play around and after a while decide to upgrade...
danboid
Cool! I'll give it another go when spitz full 5.3 gets uploaded and then I'll update my docs.

BTW I talk about pdaXii13 in my last Myspace blog entry
JustMatt
Voted in for pdaXii13 Akita base on C1000. Thanks a lot Meanie. My Zaurus sat idle for a few months before I installed it. I dont know much at all about linux and am trying to learn about it though use of the Zaurus. It isnt going very fast, but thanks again for the updates Meanie.
Snappy
I was trying out pdaXii13 Akita base on a C1000 and updating via a local feed.

Keyword: Was .... ohmy.gif

Maybe I should try to get a C3x00 while the c1000 gets repaired or something?? wink.gif
Meanie
so nobody is using Spitz base huh?
Meanie
i think i will stop building pdaXii13 Spitz base since nobody is using it...
HoloVector
My usage pattern has changed since I originally voted in this poll. I had voted pdaXii13 Akita Base for my 1000. I have now switch my 3200 over to pdaXii13 Akita Full and it is awesome! Once, I have more time plan to switch my 1000 over to Full as well. Thanks Meanie, you are doing a wonderful job.
adf
Yeah..I had dragged my heels too. I figured my beta3 was fine (it was pretty good, actually), and didn't flash til some of my linking and moving stuff on beta3 got broken. pdaXii13 5.3.3 full is a real improvement. More stuff works, less stuff behaves badly. consequently, I can do more with it. That is the goal, right?

edit: What happened to the "wish there was a pdaXii13 for the 6000" option?
Meanie
QUOTE(adf @ Mar 25 2007, 11:27 AM)
Yeah..I had dragged my heels too. I figured my beta3 was fine (it was pretty good, actually), and didn't flash til some of my linking and moving stuff on beta3 got broken.  pdaXii13 5.3.3 full is a real improvement. More stuff works, less stuff behaves badly. consequently, I can do more with it. That is the goal, right?

edit:  What happened to the "wish there was a pdaXii13 for the 6000" option?

its not a clamshell and would require a lot of changes to get rotation right, etc... and without actually having one of them its damn hard to do. remember that all my dev is actually done on my Z, ie no crosscompiling...
someone interested could use pdaxii13-custom.tgz as a base and build a 6000 variant ... zbackup should work and can be used to generate a flashable initrd.bin of a customised system.

if anyone with a c7x0 or c8x0 has upgraded to pdaXii13 yhey could in theory generate a flashable initrd.bin using zbackup and upload it as pdaXii13 Charlie base...
adf
It was wishful thinking, merely. My 6000 is actually running pretty well, and xiqjan has started work on a pdaX stable for 6000, I think. Honestly, my take is that the 6000 has the most to gain from a 2.6 based pdaxrom anyway.

I certainly didn't expect you to do a pdaxii13 for 6000, meanie, You contribute more than many of us combined. the clamshell work is more than enough, thanks
xjqian
QUOTE(adf @ Mar 24 2007, 11:44 PM)
xiqjan has started work on a pdaX stable for 6000, I think.  Honestly, my take is that the 6000 has the most to gain from a 2.6 based pdaxrom anyway.

I will take it from pdaxii13-custom.tgz for 6000. Since I figured that the kernel and pdaXrom distro is not a tight bundle from Meanie's reply, switching to 2.6 kernel should not be a big issue. I will look into both 2.4 and 2.6 kernel in the long run.

I missed couple of cheap Tosa bids on ebay, which slows me down a bit. I'm currently testing OE and trying to set up the OE dev env (see my blog) and reporting bugs. Once this is done, I will be back on pdaXrom and work on it, which will also be updated and documented in my blog.
Meanie
QUOTE(xjqian @ Mar 25 2007, 06:21 PM)
QUOTE(adf @ Mar 24 2007, 11:44 PM)
xiqjan has started work on a pdaX stable for 6000, I think.  Honestly, my take is that the 6000 has the most to gain from a 2.6 based pdaxrom anyway.

I will take it from pdaxii13-custom.tgz for 6000. Since I figured that the kernel and pdaXrom distro is not a tight bundle from Meanie's reply, switching to 2.6 kernel should not be a big issue. I will look into both 2.4 and 2.6 kernel in the long run.

I missed couple of cheap Tosa bids on ebay, which slows me down a bit. I'm currently testing OE and trying to set up the OE dev env (see my blog) and reporting bugs. Once this is done, I will be back on pdaXrom and work on it, which will also be updated and documented in my blog.

great! PM me if you need any help. pdaXii13-custom.tgz contains some compiled binaries with 640x440 hardcoded as the default screen resolution which you may want to recompile with 480x600 or something like that smile.gif
most of the apps don't care about the kernel, but all the system dependent things like keymappings, sounds, rotation, apm, and config tools depent heavily on the kernel and will cause you much grieve when you switch kernel....
dsteuer
QUOTE(Meanie @ Mar 25 2007, 03:50 AM)
if anyone with a c7x0 or c8x0 has upgraded to pdaXii13 yhey could in theory generate a flashable initrd.bin using zbackup and upload it as pdaXii13 Charlie base...

Is there some guidance to do such a move? Would very much like to follow you, but my vehicle is just a little 860er.

detlef
Meanie
QUOTE(dsteuer @ Mar 27 2007, 06:02 AM)
QUOTE(Meanie @ Mar 25 2007, 03:50 AM)

Is there some guidance to do such a move? Would very much like to follow you, but my vehicle is just a little 860er.

detlef

simply download and extract pdaXii13-custom.tgz
then run ./install-fix-beta3 / upgrade from the extracted location and outside of X
this should upgrade your Z to pdaXii13 Charlie once you reboot.
then simply run zbackup on your Z from a console with a SD card inserted.
if all goes well, it would had generated an initrd.bin which you could reflash you Z with to give you the same setup that you have and also allow others to flash their Z with that initrd.bin file

of course make sure you make a nand backup before you attempt any of this. it might not work since i cannot test any of this...

for more info see this site:

http://www.tyrannozaurus.com/?q=wiki/Zauru...gebase/Pdaxii13
dinorex
I am now using beta4 in one Z, which scares me off to re-install all the apps again in that device.... wink.gif

I think after some experiments, my another Z will shift to Xii13 wink.gif
Meanie
It is now possible for C1000 to upgrade to pdaXii13 full as well running from the SD instead of the MicroDrive...
Adam12
QUOTE(Meanie @ Feb 14 2007, 04:00 PM) *

I'm playing with it on my C700. I ran the updater script and the packages seem to be there, but I'll be buggered if I can figure out where your kernel lives and how I'm meant to flash it. Guidance?

Adam
wowo123
Hi,
haven't been here for some time...so: I'm using pdaxii13(v1) full with additional programs on my C3200, which ist the best system I ever had on my Z (tried them all...). I'm using my Z nearly every day with ko/pi, ka/pi, firefox, sylpheed, FB-Reader.... It's (relatively) stable, bluetooth and wifi work fine, I can watch movies from the harddisc with mplayer when I'm travelling...Thanks for the great work!
Allelectrix
Anyone got an Internet connection via USB Wifi in pdaXii13 on an Akita ? if not, anyone got a solution ?

and can someone post an original of the file:

network.py

as I have corrupted mine. thanks, Allelectrix
scottlfa
Returned to the long mothballed Z1K after retiring an annoying Palm T|X. It serves as my daily mp3 player, contact manager, work file review unit and general lite gaming during breaks (gpsp).

I backed away from debian on the unit after becoming frustrated with speed issues and constant cpu vs mp3 playback issues (skips). I run atm PdaXii13 v2 Beta, everything works properly so I am going to leave it that way.
Jon_J
QUOTE(Allelectrix @ Oct 26 2008, 06:54 AM) *
Anyone got an Internet connection via USB Wifi in pdaXii13 on an Akita ? if not, anyone got a solution ?

and can someone post an original of the file:

network.py

as I have corrupted mine. thanks, Allelectrix

I don't know if you still follow this thread, but I'm posting "network.py" (in a zip file because forum doesn't like "py" files).
This is from the full spitz version of pdaxii13 (build-5.4.9-beta [Oct-27-07])
I extracted this and zipped it on my windows PC. (permissions should be OK, probably wide open).

BTW I still use both of my Z's
Pdaxii13 on my C3200. I really like pdaxii13 because it just works at a lot of stuff.
Still have Cacko on my C3100
smile.gif
Jon
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.