Ok, this time I install Gaim and Rox onto /mnt/user directory. Using zbackup_0.14_armv5tel.ipk, I created a backup intird.bin file. I then proceed to reinstall the os with the backup initrd.bin.
Results are buggy. Install went fine with no errors, but when X started up it defaulted back to matchbox. Plus, there was no sign of rox or gaim in the /mnt/user directory.
My /dev/root or / is almost completely used up. It had something like 4 megs free before applying the back, now it has just over a 1 meg free.
Just in case Iíll list the steps I take when running a back, that way we can remove any possibilities of user.
Step 1. Installing pdaxii13
1. Use pdaxii13 initrd.bin tools.tar updater.sh - to the root of your SD/MMC card.
2. Make sure the Zaurus isn't plugged into AC power.
3. Remove battery for at least 5 seconds.
4. Replace battery (replace battery cover, lock cover), plug in AC power.
5. Press and hold the "OK" button on the keyboard.
6. Turn the power on, you should see the Japanese service menu.
7. Select option 4 (flash/update).
8. You then have four options (1. USB, 2. CF, 3. SD, 4. Back)
9. Choose either option 2 or 3, depending on which media you put the files on.
10. After a while a menu pops up, select "3 NAND Flash utils" -> "1 Resize root partition", enter 50 - 50 MB for root partition on SL-C760/C860/C1000/C3100 or 30 for SL-C700/750.
11. After a while it is repartioned and will reboot, after that complete steps 2-10 again and wait for the menu again.
12. Now select "1 Install new ROM" and wait.
13. Press Yes for question about format user partition and wait when it will reboot
14. At login type "root" - without the quotes - then hit enter
15. Type "startx" - without quotes - then hit enter
16. Wait while the gui starts up
Step 2. Backup pdaxii13
1. Install Gaim and rox onto /mnt/user directory.
2. Install zbackup_0.14_armv5tel.ipk onto /.
3. Exit to command prompt, run zbackup.
4. Using backup initrd.bin, repeat Step 1. Installing pdaxii13
Thatís basically what Iíve been doing.
Hope this helps,