Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: iPod clone
OESF Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Everything Development > User Request for Applications
mk500
The other day I was thinking how great it would be to emulate the iPod's physical interface as a software music player on my C760. Looks like someone has gone and done this in the PocketPC area.

http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,62542,00.html

This would be great for the Zaurus!
Anonymous
Should be fairly easy with xmms already running on the Z. Just have to redo the skin. If I remember right there is already an IPOD skin on winamp on windows that functions exactly like an ipod.
mentat_bashar
OK!
I wonder though, as bling as the I-POD is, any Z pisses all over it.
can you play video on a I-POD.?

(Xmms has a aqua theme) if you look on freshmeat!

Peace-out
padishah_emperor
OK!  
I wonder though, as bling as the I-POD is, any Z pisses all over it.
can you play video on a I-POD.?

(Xmms has a aqua theme) if you look on freshmeat!

Peace-out

The corporate machine is a liar. The ipod is nothing to be envious of.

Maybe we could make an emulator of the front end, hey, how about writing a routine or something to trash the Z's battery in 12 months and 1 day, i.e. the day after the i-pod warranty runs out.

The PocketPC software which clones the front end of an i-pod is already being scrutinised by Apples legal parasites.

Buying a mini i-pod and ripping the disk out would be the only practical use for one.

Bear in mind Mentat, some people like having multiple devices and duplication of functionality, pockets brimming with gadgets, personally, I use the MP3 and Ogg players on the Z, I like to carry one gadget.

BTW, Robbers and thieves are getting wise about the i-pod, evidently the headphones are a giveaway - and a target.

I think tkcPlayer on a 5500 looks as bling as an i-pod, you like it don't you Mentat?
mentat_bashar
WHY would anyone pay through the nose for a MP3 player that goes tits-up after a year! Idiots.. rant -over for now.
mentat_bashar
THE EMPEROR is quite correct, i personally would rather be flung from the white cliffs of dover, than surrender to the capitalistic bling society, my humble 5500 lays a big fat turd over the i-pants. long live the "Z". and dont buy white headphones!. peace-out
padishah_emperor
LOL!

You go Mentat, RAGE ON!!!
mentat_bashar
LOL!

You go Mentat, RAGE ON!!!
If i'm tempted i might go postal!
padishah_emperor
http://www.zaurususergroup.com/index.php?n...iewtopic&t=3431

That will make you go postal.
jfv
http://ipodlinux.sourceforge.net/
linux on the iPod
biggrin.gif
padishah_emperor
A complete waste of human effort.
mentat_bashar
WHY bother, i-POD linux. so silly . ask the The Emperor what should be done with them?. i know what i would do..[size=18][/size]
Joshp
./
padishah_emperor
Codswallop.

I'm porting Linux to my desk lamp.
And then to a bog roll so I can wipe my a$$ on it.

Pointless.

To do something 'just because you can' is pointless, I'm sure the Oligarch Bill Gates has better things to do with his greedy life than watch geeks porting Linux to machines which can only barely run it.
Joshp
./
padishah_emperor
erm, yes. ok.

Linus started work on Linux in 1991, 1.0 was released in '94, I know, I was there and was very involved in the early days. So to say that Microsoft's latest is like Linux in 1991 is inaccurate. Don't get me wrong, I am no advocate of Microsoft, I'd have all their staff and users summarily executed for something I would invent at the time, probably for f***ing up the industry that I loved and gave my life to.

But come on, be serious man, porting Linux to an iPod is a waste of time. There are so many people porting Linux to crap hardware, the thing that Linux NEEDS is being overlooked, more and better software.

Giving ourselves a mutual patting on the back because Linux can run on a thing designed to play music is hardly worth leaping for joy. But that's off point, having Linux on 486's is good, and I am an advocate of re-using hardware, we rarely use computers to their full potential before we scap them, usually because of Microsoft trained IT staff that know f*** all about computers, beyond point and click.

The Linux community will not win over Microsoft indoctrinated brain-off's with pointless ports and buggy software, it will win them over by focussing that energy on fruitful endeavours.

"watching linux being ported to to differnt devs is cool!" - whatever

Linux needs to be implemented on useful hardware (like the Z) so it can be a productive platform, for home and enterprise. Not some bizzare freak show of pointless ports on music players and consoles.

Rant over.

mentat_bashar ranted: "WHY bother, i-POD linux. so silly . ask the The Emperor what should be done with them?. i know what i would do.."

Bloody well shoot them, that's what!!!

Rant really over. ;-)
vishnja
Did I miss something? Why would anyone want to "see linux becomeing the main desktop os in the us and world wide."?
Why would one like to have an IPod Skin on a Zaurus? You could buy an IPod anytime if you like the sound/design. As for the Z I'd rather see the xmms supporting the remote control for the Zaurus :-))
padishah_emperor
Exactly.
treke
Codswallop.

I'm porting Linux to my desk lamp.
And then to a bog roll so I can wipe my a$$ on it.  

Pointless.

To do something 'just because you can' is pointless, I'm sure the Oligarch Bill Gates has better things to do with his greedy life than watch geeks porting Linux to machines which can only barely run it.

Not really. It's a valuable chance to learn something. On the iPod, it's a good chance to learn how to work with the hardware inside the iPod and learn how the Linux kernel is structured. The end result isn't particularly useful, but the process is.
padishah_emperor
I noticed today the Joshp has removed his original arguements.

Probably because his position had no basis in fact.

Arguement over.
Joshp
That I did. I do still beleve that porting linux to differnet devices is good. But you are right the ipod is pushing it.

JP
padishah_emperor
I think we have reached an agreement ;-)

I enjoyed the debate, it was a worthy one.
Joshp
Perhaps we shall have another good debate some time. Until than.

JP
bender647
I dont own an ipod, but if I had to guess,
one might port linux to it if they liked the
form/fit/function of the Ipod but wanted
it to do more than Apple intended. Like
playing Ogg Vorbis or whatever.
mentat_bashar
What?, that is totally absurd,surely porting ogg's codec to mac's would be easier than back porting the whole of linux to a crappy i-pants, please engage brain, i wonder somtimes i really do!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.