Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pdaxrom 5500 Make Root Space ?
OESF Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Distro Support and Discussion > pdaXrom
telemetric_au
hy,

i read a guide where it guides to moving home opt root to sd and symlinking them to free up \ space...

except im full again on root as have little space... are there other folders i can move similiarly ??

and could a swap file help give me more room for compiling >?
Capn_Fish
I don't know about moving more folders, but you could install stuff straight to SD so you don't need files on internal flash.

Swap should help for compiling, but be sure to either 1) put it on a microdrive or 2) if you only have flash, make a swap partition instead of a swap file. This will localize the wear on your card and should avoid corrupting your data. NEVER put the swap on internal flash.
telemetric_au
thanks for that info on swaps smile.gif

i managed to free up just over 4mb (40% !!) on / by moving and symlinking:

/opt /root /var /usr/X11R6 /usr/share /usr/apps

then editing /etc/ipkg.conf so the only install option was sd, it automatically installs there and im having no more problems.

there aint many more you can shift, as i tried them and had to re-flash... i take it because they are needed by the system before the sd is mounted...

Is a swap just to increase "RAM" type activity space ??
Capn_Fish
QUOTE(telemetric_au @ Mar 31 2007, 09:28 PM)
Is a swap just to increase "RAM" type activity space ??

So far as I know. It also supposedly allows for more efficient use of RAM by putting the less time-sensitive stuff in the slower swap to make more fast RAM available for the stuff that needs it.
telemetric_au
neat ! , i only have a CF. how damaging to the card area could it be ?
Capn_Fish
QUOTE(telemetric_au @ Mar 31 2007, 09:35 PM)
neat ! , i only have a CF. how damaging to the card area could it be ?

Depends on how much you use the swap. If you're constantly compiling huge apps, it could be quite damaging, if you're not using it much, it probably won't do much damage.
telemetric_au
thanks, i made a 128mb partition on my sd and it works great, now my compile finish's !!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.