Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Kernel Version Question
OESF Forums > General Forums > General Support and Discussion > Off Topic forum
Capn_Fish
How come kernel versions that are used seem to skip from 2.4.x to 2.6.x? I never really hear about the 2.3.x or 2.5.x kernels. Why is that? They were obviously made, as at kernel.org they have 2.5.x up to some 75.

Totally random, but it's been bugging me.
Drake01
QUOTE(Capn_Fish @ Apr 18 2007, 08:25 PM)
How come kernel versions that are used seem to skip from 2.4.x to 2.6.x? I never really hear about the 2.3.x or 2.5.x kernels. Why is that? They were obviously made, as at kernel.org they have 2.5.x up to some 75.

IIRC, the odd numbered kernels are unstable development kernels. The general population should stick with the even numbered kernels.
Capn_Fish
QUOTE(Drake01 @ Apr 18 2007, 08:46 PM)
QUOTE(Capn_Fish @ Apr 18 2007, 08:25 PM)

IIRC, the odd numbered kernels are unstable development kernels. The general population should stick with the even numbered kernels.

I should have seen that.

Thanks, that's one less thing to wonder about. On to wondering if somebody will ever make a "Zaurus Replacement" biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.