I finally got a router so I could use my wifi card that I paid dearly for which was just sitting in a drawer.
I got a new Linksys WRT54G router with ver 8.0 firmware. I wanted something that thousands of people already have and is mostly compatible.
I'll get to how I got this working, but I have to review some steps a newbie like me has to go through to get some stuff working.
I left out some details, this is just the "short" version/review.
When I unpacked it, there were notice labels pasted to the back of the router (over the jacks), and the CD-ROM
"Run CD first before connecting cables"
I ran the setup program and got to the part where it tested my internet connection, it failed.
Said to turn off dsl modem and try again, this didn't work.
Then turn off computer and unplug modem and router, then plug it all back in and start computer.
Nothing, still same error.
Then I read the PDF file on the CD and decided to try the browser based setup.
After trying this several times, I decided to try some other settings.
I first tried DHCP in both CD and browser setups. didn't work.
Then I read in the PDF that PPPoE is mostly for DSL and DHCP is mostly for Cable.
I tried PPPoE and input as many of my numbers and settings as I thought I needed, still not working.
I'm into hour 2, I decide to call tech support for my dsl provider.
I get a heavily accented gal from India, who I could barely understand, I asked what my provider was using, whether it is DHCP or PPPoE
She finally said DHCP.
I tried again and again, using numbers from ipconfig /all in a windows console.
Then I read that some providers need a domain name and host name, still didn't work.
Almost into hour 3, and I found a section in the PDF to troubleshoot connections.
I found a section that said, some ISPs need to have the MAC address (or physical address) cloned to the router from the actual ethernet adapter.
Why 2 names for same thing?? physical/MAC address
I got my MAC address from ipconfig /all and wrote it down.
Then using the browser settings, I selected MAC address, then selected to "Clone MAC address".
Saved this setting and looked on the status page. The numbers matched.
Now I used IP release and IP renew in the browser, and near the end of hour 4, I finally had an internet connection through my router!!
I'm wondering why the automatic setup on the CD-ROM didn't detect that I needed to "Clone" my MAC address to get online with this router. If it detected this from the start, I would have saved at least 3½ hours fiddling with these settings.
I had been using ip release and ip renew in several steps above. I also found that the ip doesn't always release properly, and the book that came with my modem says the release may take up to 4 hours before you can use renew again. Whew, I'm glad I finally got this working, I documented my final "fix" for later.
Sorry about the long ramble, but I've never had a lot of luck with networking and the millions of settings and numbers etc...
In a couple days, I'll have my wifi card working with both of my Z's (I hope)...