Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Asus 3epc
OESF Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Model Specific Forums > Asus Eee PC
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Tom61
Since it can boot XP, there's little doubt that it can't run a another distribution of Linux(have to find out if there are any binary drivers to muck things up, but there are ways around that). Also, it seems that most everything is either already installed or installable from the full Xandros, so the only thing missing is the button on the pre-release and/or Asian models to go to advanced mode.

Does anyone know of B&M stores likely to have the EEE in the US? A hands-on would really help me nail some things down.
ArchiMark
QUOTE(Tom61 @ Nov 5 2007, 02:44 PM) *
Since it can boot XP, there's little doubt that it can't run a another distribution of Linux(have to find out if there are any binary drivers to muck things up, but there are ways around that). Also, it seems that most everything is either already installed or installable from the full Xandros, so the only thing missing is the button on the pre-release and/or Asian models to go to advanced mode.

Does anyone know of B&M stores likely to have the EEE in the US? A hands-on would really help me nail some things down.

Depends where you're located, Tom61....

I'm in Silicone Valley, so I saw one at the local MicroCenter on Sunday...used it for about 5 minutes and I was sold on it!

Also, CentralComputer here in SV has them for sale.....

It's hard to find them in stores yet....the few places that got them, sold most or all of them right away....

Costco selling them but only online, I checked... ;-(

HTH,

Mark
fpp
QUOTE(Tom61 @ Nov 3 2007, 02:24 PM) *
It is more opinion than fact, but yes, I have tried it. I have both a Nokia 770 and a Libretto 100CT with 800x480 displays and have browsed the web with them. IMO, while tolerable for quick things, longer uses (say over lunch) the horizontal scrolling gets to be annoying, and is even worse for Flash based sites that expect 1024x768.

Well, I've never laid my hands on a Libretto, but I've also had a 770 for the past two years, and a Kohjinsha SA1 (which is exactly the same form factor as the EEE) for the past year, and it's very clear to me that the browsing experience at 800x480 is totally different between the two.

Surfing on the 770 (with the built-in Opera) does involve some compromises and generates much swearing ; while sufing on the SA1 (with a regular Firefox and all the useful extensions) feels quite natural to me. I have used it for days on end without feeling frustrated or limited (but then I tend to avoid Flash sites like the plague, so maybe our prerequisites are very different :-)

Switch to 800x600 resolution and size a Firefox window to fit that, you might be surprised how limiting it can be with some websites.

I did that a while ago when coding an app to run on my VGA Zaurus, and I believe that resizing a window on a regular desktop monitor gives you only the faintest of ideas of what the actual result will be on the target display (which is generally better).
Tom61
QUOTE(fpp @ Nov 6 2007, 10:15 PM) *
Well, I've never laid my hands on a Libretto, but I've also had a 770 for the past two years, and a Kohjinsha SA1 (which is exactly the same form factor as the EEE) for the past year, and it's very clear to me that the browsing experience at 800x480 is totally different between the two.

Surfing on the 770 (with the built-in Opera) does involve some compromises and generates much swearing ; while sufing on the SA1 (with a regular Firefox and all the useful extensions) feels quite natural to me. I have used it for days on end without feeling frustrated or limited (but then I tend to avoid Flash sites like the plague, so maybe our prerequisites are very different :-)

I did factor out the limitations of both devices as best I could (N770's very small display and limited browser, and the Libretto's near antique status), and focused on the display resolution vs. page width itself. Also, I was browsing with a system limited to 800x600 browsing the time with Firefox at the time of the post.

As far as browsing it depends on the sites most important to you I suppose. Horizontal scrolling gets on my nerves easily, someone that cares less about it can probably tolerate sites that think everyone has 1024x768 displays. Also, it depends on what you're used to, I have an ultra-portable in this size with a 1024x600 display that I've been using for a while, going down to 800x480 for roughly the same size of notebook (the EEE is one inch less wide) is a hard to consider.Here's the two laptops I keep mentally reference when thinking about the EEE: http://flickr.com/photos/tom61/477501224/

QUOTE(ArchiMark @ Nov 6 2007, 07:45 PM) *
Depends where you're located, Tom61....
I'm in Silicone Valley, so I saw one at the local MicroCenter on Sunday...used it for about 5 minutes and I was sold on it!

HTH,

Mark

I'm in Missouri, so most shops in California aren't accessible to me. There might be a MicroCenter hiding somewhere, I'll have to check Google Local.
Tom61
Add a Start Menu with addition applications:
http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?pid=9249#p9249

Apparently, this notebook uses a themed IceWM by default.

Anybody keeping track of any good blogs dedicated to this notebook?
cwaig
I just took delivery of one of an EeePC (for my wife) - it's really very cool. Reminds me of the clamshell Zaurii when I first saw them.

I'll be honest and say it kills the Zaurus dead in terms of the software/hardware support. A quick play with it showed that vast amounts of standard linux apps came pre-installed as standard (kde's PIM stuff, Firefox, Thunderbird, OpenOffice, Acrobat Reader, etc) - and all configured and working. YouTube video worked first time, suspend just worked, WIFI was easy, sound + video playback - the list goes on....

It's roughly twice the size of a clamshell Z. But I have to say, it wipes the floor with it.

And this is me, long time Zaurus fanboy (SL5500, SL6000, etc) talking. I'd still keep an SL series Z for reading ebooks on the move, but beyond that, I don't see a reason to own the clamshell Zaurus anymore - the Eee is just too well done, and astonishingly cheap.
speculatrix
QUOTE(cwaig @ Nov 9 2007, 01:47 PM) *
I'll be honest and say it kills the Zaurus dead in terms of the software/hardware support. A quick play with it showed that vast amounts of

I think the comparison is a little bit unfair - the Z's processor is only 400MHz ARM designed for very low power and relatively low CPU performance with passive cooling.

The eepc has a highly advanced 600MHz Intel with superscalar architecture, being eight times the volume means there's lots more room for a large battery and cooling fans; even then it doesn't manage the usage on batteries of the Z.

If, and it's quite possible, the eepc could be reduced in size to make it only a little bigger than, say, the Nokia tablets, then I think the compariso would be fairer.
desertrat
I have just got myself the black model of this thing (I think it looks much better than the white). First impressions are it is quite a sturdy little beast, it feels solid and there are no give and no squeaky parts or anything like that (in contrast to some of the reports that I've read which says construction is flimsy). Haven't managed to get wireless working yet. Using the wired ethernet skype and web browsing is fine, youtube works even.

Funny thing: maybe because I got my Eee in HK it comes with an English<->Chinese dictionary, in the settings you can configure the font size and one of the choice is "Largerest", you can also configure the language used for the interface but the label is "Laguange". I sure hope that the dictionary entries themselves are not full of mistakes smile.gif

If there is any interest I may write up a more comprehensive report after I've played around with the thing a bit more.
zmiq2
Can any of you comment on:

- does it make noise?
- wifi surfing battery life?
- firefox is standard firefox, i.e. extensions can be installed on?

I'm waiting also to see if anyone is able to use the unused internal minipci to install a 3G card there !

Thanks
ArchiMark
QUOTE(brashley46 @ Nov 5 2007, 12:11 PM) *
but the regular Xandros KDE desktop is missing, and I'd really rather have that. (But I run Xandros on my home desktop machine, so I'm used to it.)

brashley46,

Check out the eeeuser.com forums as well as the following webpage link below which has very simple way to enable 'Advanced Desktop Mode' which gives you the regular KDE start menu and desktop that you miss...

I did it and it works great....

Enable KDE Advanced Desktop Mode on eee PC

Guys, for the price, this lil' bad boy can't be beat....lots o' fun....

cool.gif
Tom61
For those about to get/have gotten theirs a mini-review or full review would be great. Including what devices you've had before and comparing them to the EEE would be good as well.

I'm increasingly tempted, as it seems that the P1120 market has started biding more, and I could potentially offset a fair amount of the EEE's cost even by selling my basket of P1120 parts.
ArchiMark
QUOTE(Tom61 @ Nov 9 2007, 04:39 PM) *
For those about to get/have gotten theirs a mini-review or full review would be great. Including what devices you've had before and comparing them to the EEE would be good as well.

Might be able to do review later....

But in meantime, here's some links to give you overview and some idea of mods for eee PC....

http://www.eeeuser.com/2007/10/25/its-wort...st-impressions/

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=4055

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsId=4062

http://www.eeeuser.com/

http://tnkgrl.wordpress.com/

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2007/11/06/ee...ourse-in-linux/

http://www.eeeuser.com/2007/10/29/eee-pc-x...s-linux-review/

http://www.eeeuser.com/2007/10/27/lets-tal...he-eee-pc-bios/

HTH,

Mark

Tom61
Thanks ArchiMark. I've already read all those. ph34r.gif I look forward to your review.

I'm very close to jumping in and getting one myself.

Any tips on accessories? I have a 2.5" external 60GB HD and a 8x DVD+-RW slimline USB drive already, as well as a powered USB hub and thumbdrives. Current plan is buying the notebook with a 8GB SDHC (tripling the space for $65 seems worth it).
desertrat
QUOTE(zmiq2 @ Nov 9 2007, 04:22 PM) *
- does it make noise?
Yes the fan makes a noise, but it's very quiet and you can only hear it if you put your ear right next to the fan, or if you're using it in a near silent environment.

- wifi surfing battery life?
I've only just got wireless up and running so I can't really comment just yet. The fact that the config util for wlan chokes when you have spaces in the passphrase didn't help.

Update: I managed to get just about 3hrs out of the battery with wireless on. About 75-80% of that time I was doing heavy browsing and the remainder I was fiddling with usb BT dongles trying to get it going.

- firefox is standard firefox, i.e. extensions can be installed on?
Sure. I've installed the Littlefox theme on this and apart from increasing the viewing area when browsing I was surprised that it also affects the dialogs throughout firefox - ie with the default theme many of the preferences dialogs are too large and you have to ALT+drag the window up and then increase the size of the window in order to be able to view all the widgets. With Littlefox installed all the dialog are made more compact and fit within the screen sized window. Could be considered an essential install.
ArchiMark
QUOTE(Tom61 @ Nov 9 2007, 09:12 PM) *
Thanks ArchiMark. I've already read all those. ph34r.gif I look forward to your review.

I'm very close to jumping in and getting one myself.

Any tips on accessories? I have a 2.5" external 60GB HD and a 8x DVD+-RW slimline USB drive already, as well as a powered USB hub and thumbdrives. Current plan is buying the notebook with a 8GB SDHC (tripling the space for $65 seems worth it).

Only accessory that I've used so far is my 4GB Transcend SD card, which works fine....

Will probably get a 8GB card soon....

Have heard of other using external HD and DVD drive and worked OK....there's a list of working accessories over at the eeeuser.com wiki....

Also, check out post #41 on this thread, kind of a mini-review....

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread...578#post2653578

HTH,

Mark
Tom61
OK, I'm in. I just bought one from directron with an 8GB Transcend class 6 SDHC card and 2 day Fedex shipping $475.88 after coupon code SUPER200.

Should be fun, and I need a notebook anyway.
Capn_Fish
Could somebody post some screenshots of doing stuff like surfing OESF and editing a text file? I'd like to know about how much can be seen on the screen, but my laptop is being dumb and won't let me change the resolution to 800x480.

Thanks.
ArchiMark
QUOTE(Capn_Fish @ Nov 10 2007, 03:56 PM) *
Could somebody post some screenshots of doing stuff like surfing OESF and editing a text file? I'd like to know about how much can be seen on the screen, but my laptop is being dumb and won't let me change the resolution to 800x480.

Thanks.

Even better I think than some screenshots, Capn_Fish. you can go for an actual test drive!

Check it out!

http://honeypothack.com/eee/internet.htm

Just click on the icons and the tabs to navigate through the eee PC, just as you would on one....found it very helpful for me before using one...

cool.gif
Capn_Fish
Thanks! That is MUCH better! It appears that the screen is just big enough to be usable. I'll have to see if I can play with one at my local big box retailer soon...

Thanks again!
adf
QUOTE(ArchiMark @ Nov 10 2007, 03:02 PM) *
QUOTE(Capn_Fish @ Nov 10 2007, 03:56 PM) *

Thanks.

Even better I think than some screenshots, Capn_Fish. you can go for an actual test drive!

Check it out!

http://honeypothack.com/eee/internet.htm

Just click on the icons and the tabs to navigate through the eee PC, just as you would on one....found it very helpful for me before using one...

cool.gif

that is actually pretty cool. I was hoping to avoid that impression.
Capn_Fish
What impression?

One more question: Is it set up like a "normal" computer, eg standard-ish BIOS, etc.?
desertrat
QUOTE(Capn_Fish @ Nov 11 2007, 12:50 AM) *
One more question: Is it set up like a "normal" computer, eg standard-ish BIOS, etc.?

The BIOS setup is very basic (as is the norm in notebooks). It allows you to:

1) Change the system clock
2) Configure the IDE interface and other onboard devices (usb, lan etc)
3) Set BIOS password (user and supervisor)
4) Configure boot device and priority - you can boot from the internal SSD, USB stick, USB cdrom (I've tried these), you can also apparently boot from the internal SD card reader (which I haven't tried yet). There is also the option of LAN boot.
desertrat
QUOTE(Capn_Fish @ Nov 10 2007, 11:56 PM) *
Could somebody post some screenshots of doing stuff like surfing OESF and editing a text file?

OK here you go:

Reading OESF forums
Click to view attachment

Posting to OESF forums
Click to view attachment

Editing a text file
Click to view attachment
adf
QUOTE(Capn_Fish @ Nov 10 2007, 03:50 PM) *
What impression?

that it is cool, therefore I should buy one. I'm trying to keep tech purchases down to "necessities"
Capn_Fish
QUOTE(adf @ Nov 10 2007, 08:00 PM) *
QUOTE(Capn_Fish @ Nov 10 2007, 03:50 PM) *
What impression?

that it is cool, therefore I should buy one. I'm trying to keep tech purchases down to "necessities"

Me too, but it is so tempting...

@desertrat: Thanks, those give a great idea of how much can be displayed on the screen.
Capn_Fish
A black version (same specs, same price) is out now, FWIW.
desertrat
QUOTE(Capn_Fish @ Nov 15 2007, 07:38 PM) *
That's old news tongue.gif I already mentioned that I got the black model over a week ago. Unfortunately it seems that there's a possibility that the black models are a newer batch which doesn't have the spare mini-pcie slot
Capn_Fish
Is there a reason NewEgg only just started listing the black ones, or did I miss that too, and they were there all along?
Tom61
I got my EEE today. I've been playing with the OS more than giving it a full functionality review and photographing it. My roommate is considering getting one to replace his dieing laptop, and is fairly impressed with it, and playing with it a bunch.

QUOTE(desertrat @ Nov 16 2007, 08:13 PM) *
QUOTE(Capn_Fish @ Nov 15 2007, 07:38 PM) *
That's old news tongue.gif I already mentioned that I got the black model over a week ago. Unfortunately it seems that there's a possibility that the black models are a newer batch which doesn't have the spare mini-pcie slot

I've not heard of any US models lacking the empty Mini-PCIe port, however all UK black models, and some newer UK white models have been reported to lack that slot. If you're in store and can look before buying, if the second character of the serial is a 'B' it lacks an extra mini-PCIe slot.

QUOTE(Capn_Fish @ Nov 16 2007, 08:19 PM) *
Is there a reason NewEgg only just started listing the black ones, or did I miss that too, and they were there all along?

They just now were released, a few places had pre-orders, but not NewEgg.

boardboyd
I got mine a few days ago, I like it a lot! It's exactly what I needed for doing Arduino programming, wordprocessing, spreadsheet, IM, email, webbrowsing on the go. Sad to part with my C3100, but I'm glad I made the change.
ZDevil
I've got one for my sister yesterday. Now playing with it and doing some fine-tuning. So far I am so happy about this beast. smile.gif

I've installed a very useful package called "lazyeeepc", which includes the following enhancement of the original OS:

Some highlights:
1) New user interface and desktop functionality
2) Real Player 9 decoder for RMVB playback
3) New super-user file manager
4) Synaptic for apt-get install debian packages!
5) Skype 2.0 with video suppport!

Even though the page is in Chinese, just download the tarball extract it, execute the python script there, and choose everything to install.
Web page: http://eeelinux.blogspot.com/2007/11/lazyeeepc-004.html
Installation: http://eeelinux.blogspot.com/2007/11/lazyeeepc_26.html
Download: http://rt.openfoundry.org/Foundry/Project/...load/?Queue=863
the_oak
More screenshots and pics?
ZDevil
Here is a screenshot.
Now I begin to feel no need to install other distros. After installing the lazyeeepc package, I can apt-get install all i386 debian packages just like in Debian and Ubuntu. And running in full desktop mode I get a full KDE environment which can do pretty much the same thing as in other distros.

Now replying using Eee PC with Firefox.

This is a really gorgeous machine...

Click to view attachment

But still it cannot replace my Z as I want a truly pocketable convertible (laptop <-> tablet) device for me to use on the go. laugh.gif
dougeeebear
ZDevil,
Could you please check and see what version of Firefox is on the Eee?
I'm running 1.5 now and it would be nice if all my extensions would work.

Thanks,
Doug
ArchiMark
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Dec 8 2007, 07:55 AM) *
Here is a screenshot.
Now I begin to feel no need to install other distros. After installing the lazyeeepc package, I can apt-get install all i386 debian packages just like in Debian and Ubuntu. And running in full desktop mode I get a full KDE environment which can do pretty much the same thing as in other distros.

[Snip...]

ZDevil, just be careful about what Debian apps you install, from what I read, not all will work well with eee as Xandros modded distro on eee, is not 100% Debian compatible....
ZDevil
QUOTE(ArchiMark @ Dec 9 2007, 03:14 AM) *
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Dec 8 2007, 07:55 AM) *
Here is a screenshot.
[Snip...]

ZDevil, just be careful about what Debian apps you install, from what I read, not all will work well with eee as Xandros modded distro on eee, is not 100% Debian compatible....

I see. Thanks!

Just found this one (the 1st google hit ...): http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=875
Looks very informative and useful!
harvell
QUOTE(dougeeebear @ Dec 8 2007, 05:03 PM) *
ZDevil,

Thanks,
Doug

Here you go buddy...check the attachment.

dougeeebear
QUOTE(harvell @ Dec 9 2007, 12:48 AM) *
QUOTE(dougeeebear @ Dec 8 2007, 05:03 PM) *
ZDevil,

Thanks,
Doug

Here you go buddy...check the attachment.

Firefox 2.0
I guess I'll have to make some adjustments.

Thanks,
Doug
TheWalt
I got one of the first black E's from NewEgg and love it. I am also glad someone mentioned www.eeeuser.com as that seems to be the main English forum right now, LOTS of good information on there.

I agree that there really isn't any hurry on adding other linux variants as the E comes with pretty much everything needed for the average user, and with the addition of a few repositories more can be easily added.

So far all I have done is upgraded to a gig of ram, enabled the menu button in easy mode, and installed newer wi-fi drivers to support PEAP so I can use it at work. As I mentioned in another post, my poor Z hasn't been turned on since.
speculatrix
according to engadget the Nanobook is going to debut at US$400 so it will be interesting to see whether we get a whole slew of ultraportables and thin clients!
desertrat
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Dec 8 2007, 03:55 PM) *
Here is a screenshot. [of KDE]
Hey, you haven't followed the instructions for making the ugly huge launch button smaller biggrin.gif
dougeeebear
Well, I ordered my Eee PC 4GB Surf in Galaxy Black today from newegg.com (with next day UPS and rush order processing, of course).
I can't wait to see how it compares to my Kohjinsha ... especially the keyboard.
Capn_Fish
I hope that comes to be. The more ultraportables, the better (especially Linux ones).
dougeeebear
QUOTE(Capn_Fish @ Dec 11 2007, 05:14 PM) *
I hope that comes to be. The more ultraportables, the better (especially Linux ones).

Absolutely!!
Snappy
This had been an amazing year for us mobile gadget users! One after another good news ... it's like finally our dreams and wishes are coming true, ok at least the ones about gadgets! tongue.gif

It's funny how prices can fall so suddenly eh? Did manufacturing suddenly become cheap or were the RetailPrices mere fabrication of the sales & marketing machine? Me thinks latter ... ... tongue.gif

In any case, here's to an early ... good X'mas and holidays ahead ... filled with gadgets and UMPCs! wooo hooo! wink.gif
ZDevil
QUOTE(desertrat @ Dec 11 2007, 02:54 AM) *
Hey, you haven't followed the instructions for making the ugly huge launch button smaller biggrin.gif

Oh, yes, I wasn't aware of this when I took this screenshot shortly after opening the box...
I am now seriously tempted to get one for myself as my christmas *gift*. After trying it for a couple of days, I began to realize how it can beat my 3200 in real life use in terms of speed, keyboard and compatibility (i386 debian packages). Pocketability does not seem to be a big issue with this machine as it weighs and measures like a 400 page octave hardcover book.

And the shop showed me an pamphlet of asus saying the black and the pink models have a smaller battery (3 hours vs. 3.5 hours in the white one).
Chero
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Dec 15 2007, 06:10 PM) *
QUOTE(desertrat @ Dec 11 2007, 02:54 AM) *

Oh, yes, I wasn't aware of this when I took this screenshot shortly after opening the box...
I am now seriously tempted to get one for myself as my christmas *gift*. After trying it for a couple of days, I began to realize how it can beat my 3200 in real life use in terms of speed, keyboard and compatibility (i386 debian packages). Pocketability does not seem to be a big issue with this machine as it weighs and measures like a 400 page octave hardcover book.

And the shop showed me an pamphlet of asus saying the black and the pink models have a smaller battery (3 hours vs. 3.5 hours in the white one).

Just curious, where did you get one ?
ghostshadow
There is now a new ubuntu distro built specifically for the eee. http://eeepc.tumblr.com/post/21408625 I'm not too much of a fan of ubuntu, but I think it's a great step in the right direction. It's not exactly out at the moment, but it's coming pretty soon! I don't have an EEE yet, I really want to get one, but right now the price just seems a little high for me at the moment.

There is tons of info on eeeuser, I'm really liking allot of the new mods and hacks for it, expanded storage, bluetooth, gps. I can't wait to see what else is instore. I just hope they don't keep pulling the extra pc slot, I know some reports stated that some of them from newegg don't have the port anymore.

Let's hope it all stays together and they can lower the price soon, if they do i'll definitely pick one up asap!
ZDevil
QUOTE(Chero @ Dec 15 2007, 08:27 PM) *
Just curious, where did you get one ?

I got one with 4GB SSD and camera for my sister in Hong Kong for ~385 USD.
The 8GB model has just come out for ~447 USD in Taiwan ...
ZDevil
QUOTE(ghostshadow @ Dec 16 2007, 02:43 AM) *
There is now a new ubuntu distro built specifically for the eee. http://eeepc.tumblr.com/post/21408625 I'm not too much of a fan of ubuntu, but I think it's a great step in the right direction. It's not exactly out at the moment, but it's coming pretty soon! I don't have an EEE yet, I really want to get one, but right now the price just seems a little high for me at the moment.

Great! The eeexubuntu is updated very quickly. The current release seems to be very usable (including native wireless driver).
http://wiki.eeeuser.com/ubuntu:eeexubuntu:home
Will try that as soon as i am free.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.