Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can't See Cf Card
OESF Forums > General Forums > General Support and Discussion > Hardware Mods
ShiroiKuma
So I bought this 16gb Sandis card, swapped it for the 3200's internal microdrive. Used it for a day, no prob. Then something happened don't know what, and the card wouldn't work, the Z was locked.

So took it out again, and now I can't mount it / see it, on any computer that I've tried.

This is what dmesg says:
CODE
Jul 13 16:01:36 debian kernel: pccard: PCMCIA card inserted into slot 0
Jul 13 16:01:36 debian kernel: pcmcia: registering new device pcmcia0.0
Jul 13 16:01:37 debian kernel: pcmcia: request for exclusive IRQ could not be fulfilled.
Jul 13 16:01:37 debian kernel: pcmcia: the driver needs updating to supported shared IRQ lines.
Jul 13 16:01:37 debian kernel: Probing IDE interface ide2...
Jul 13 16:02:07 debian kernel: hde: no response (status = 0xd0)
Jul 13 16:02:42 debian kernel: Probing IDE interface ide2...
Jul 13 16:02:42 debian kernel: ide2: Wait for ready failed before probe !
Jul 13 16:03:18 debian kernel: Probing IDE interface ide2...
Jul 13 16:03:18 debian kernel: ide2: Wait for ready failed before probe !
Jul 13 16:03:47 debian kernel: Probing IDE interface ide2...

and so on...

How can I fdisk the card if the need, assuming I can't fix what's wrong? I'm really at odds end here, have got this 16gb card and no way that I can think of how to use it.
ShiroiKuma
So far I've only found one German page which gives this sequence of error commands and states that that's the case when you hook up a harddrive with the cables wrongly connected.

This can't be the case obviously with a CF card...

How can I determine what's wrong?
Capn_Fish
Maybe the card is just faulty.
T3_slider
I think Trisoft experimented with swapping the MD for a CF card and went through a few CF cards and couldn't get one to work on a long-term basis (see this thread: http://www.oesf.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=23002 ). It is possible to get a CF card working long-term (some successes have been reported), but you may have to go through a few cards. In the end I don't really think the speed increase is worth the risk of CF card destruction, but that's just my opinion.

I would try reformatting and repartitioning the card and try again, but your card may just be dead. sad.gif
HoloVector
The SanDisks usually have a pretty good warranty (as long as you don't have a bootleg one). The UltraII and higher cards have a better warranty than the standard cards and usually have a no questions asked replacement warranty. Did you have a swapfile or swap partition setup on your card before the failure?
ShiroiKuma
QUOTE(T3_slider @ Jul 16 2007, 04:32 AM)
I would try reformatting and repartitioning the card and try again, but your card may just be dead. sad.gif

Yep, that's what I'm trying to do. Unfortunately can't access /dev/hdc after the card is inserted, so something is wrong...
ShiroiKuma
QUOTE(HoloVector @ Jul 16 2007, 04:37 AM)
The SanDisks usually have a pretty good warranty (as long as you don't have a bootleg one).  The UltraII and higher cards have a better warranty than the standard cards and usually have a no questions asked replacement warranty.  Did you have a swapfile or swap partition setup on your card before the failure?

Unfortunately bought it from some guy on some forum for cheap, but without an original receipt. So can't go to SanDisk.

I did all kinds of tests and it was fine when I bought it, it worked for a day, and now this...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.