Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Openbsd 4.2 Beta Issues
OESF Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Distro Support and Discussion > OpenBSD
ZDevil
I think the current 4.2 Beta deserves a separate thread for discussion.

The first issue I run into is the setting of the cpu speed in /etc/sysctl.conf.
For "machdep.maxspeed", both 520 and 450 seem not working.
I see this error message during booting:
CODE
"sysctl: machdep.maxspeed: value is not available"

But according to www.planetofidiots.com/zaurus/ 450 is supposed to work, despite that 520 is said to be unstable under the current build. What to do?

Sidenote: i've managed to set up a NFS server on my Macbook without virtualization, and my 3200 succeeds in mounting the NFS shares to build ports there. smile.gif But I am doing things a bit differently from the instructions in www.planetofidiots.com/zaurus/ . Will post a step-by-step guide soon.
mathemajikian
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Aug 12 2007, 03:22 AM)
The first issue I run into is the setting of the cpu speed in /etc/sysctl.conf.
For "machdep.maxspeed", both 520 and 450 seem not working.
I see this error message during booting:

CODE
"sysctl: machdep.maxspeed: value is not available"

You need to run mergemaster after you update. It seems that this sysctl option has been removed along with a few others.
ZDevil
Thanks. Actually I reinstalled everything from the ground up, so there seems to be no need for mergemaster. The machdep.maxspeed and closelid.suspend functions seem to have been turned off in the current 4.2 beta (#158). Is that true?
mathemajikian
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Aug 13 2007, 02:12 AM)
Thanks. Actually I reinstalled everything from the ground up, so there seems to be no need for mergemaster. The machdep.maxspeed and closelid.suspend functions seem to have been turned off in the current 4.2 beta (#158). Is that true?

This seems to be the case, but I'm not sure if it's just a beta change or something which will be more permanent.
ZDevil
I see. Thanks...
Well, that doesn't really hurt, as now I am rebuilding the packages for 4.2 with optimization, which can make up for the lack of (over)clocking. smile.gif
ZDevil
Thanks, Andy. So will this patch be used for the next snapshot? smile.gif
iamasmith
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Aug 13 2007, 02:49 PM)
Thanks, Andy. So will this patch be used for the next snapshot? smile.gif

Who knows, they have ignored patches I sent before. I have to admit that Theo asked me to nag about getting my Caps Lock patches included in 4.1 but I didn't have time to chase the submitters.

Hopefully this will be seen as an easy submission and won't even touch the sides tongue.gif

-Andy
iamasmith
Actually, Miod just responded and said that the way that I am handling the change isn't correct in terms of how the MIB is treated (numbers shouldn't be reassigned). I will issue another patch when I have tested.

Regards,

-Andy
mathemajikian
QUOTE(iamasmith @ Aug 13 2007, 03:25 PM)
Actually, Miod just responded and said that the way that I am handling the change isn't correct in terms of how the MIB is treated (numbers shouldn't be reassigned). I will issue another patch when I have tested.

Regards,

-Andy

How else can you achieve this? I don't understand why your method is incorrect?
http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/src/....16&r2=1.17&f=h
iamasmith
Well, Miod pointed out that the ordinals assigned to the sysctl mibs have to stay assigned as they originally were. I'm guessing that there may be other ways of referencing the sysctl mib tree, possibly like other mibs.. i.e. 1.22.1.33 etc. to select nodes of a mib tree. Bearing in mind that the mib may possibly be accessible through SNMP etc.

To retain the IDs I will do what Miod has suggested and put the strings back into the cpu.h section leaving the methods unimplemented, however, my source build tree is on an NFS server at work atm. so I'll kick off a test build tomorrow morning before all my meetings start tongue.gif

-Andy
mathemajikian
QUOTE(iamasmith @ Aug 13 2007, 09:28 PM)
Well, Miod pointed out that the ordinals assigned to the sysctl mibs have to stay assigned as they originally were. I'm guessing that there may be other ways of referencing the sysctl mib tree, possibly like other mibs.. i.e. 1.22.1.33 etc. to select nodes of a mib tree. Bearing in mind that the mib may possibly be accessible through SNMP etc.

To retain the IDs I will do what Miod has suggested and put the strings back into the cpu.h section leaving the methods unimplemented, however, my source build tree is on an NFS server at work atm. so I'll kick off a test build tomorrow morning before all my meetings start tongue.gif

-Andy

Just read the OpenBSD-ARM messages. Makes sense, but won't that lead to a bit of code clutter?
iamasmith
There are many sysctls that have been depracated and/or moved to IOCTLs so there is a certain amount of clutter but this kind of procedure is necessary to protect anybody using older mibs to ensure that the mibs don't hit the wrong values.

I have found that implementing the change in the way suggested requires a little more work since if you leave the mib without a handler the sysctl calls don't process any more of the mib tree.

I should create a handler really that says that the access mechanism for those mibs (ztsscale and ztsrawmode) is deprecated and that tools should be updated.

I will look at this when I have a little more time, one of my projects at work has kicked into overdrive though tongue.gif

-Andy
iamasmith
Actually I got an email from robert@ saying he was on it.

So there will be a fix, from one of us.

-Andy
ZDevil
Thanks! Looking forward to that. smile.gif
mathemajikian
QUOTE(iamasmith @ Aug 14 2007, 09:52 PM)
Actually I got an email from robert@ saying he was on it.

So there will be a fix, from one of us.

-Andy

It's fixed, update your sources:

Revision 1.18 / (download) - annotate - [select for diffs] , Tue Aug 14 15:18:07 2007 UTC (20 hours, 47 minutes ago) by deraadt
Branch: MAIN
CVS Tags: HEAD
Changes since 1.17: +6 -2 lines
Diff to previous 1.17

removal of zts sysctls created a numeric gap.  repair.  ok miod robert

Here's the diff: http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/src/....17&r2=1.18&f=h
ZDevil
Thanks, mathemajikian and Andy!

BTW, i've set up dualbooting OpenBSD 4.2 and pdaXii 5.4.8 (Sally). http://www.oesf.org/forums/index.php?showt...view=getnewpost
mathemajikian
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Aug 15 2007, 12:40 PM)
Thanks, mathemajikian and Andy!

BTW, i've set up dualbooting OpenBSD 4.2 and pdaXii 5.4.8 (Sally).  http://www.oesf.org/forums/index.php?showt...view=getnewpost

Excellent.
iamasmith
Umm, has anybody tested the new CVS yet?

This is the first change that I tried but it failed. I think that the slots need a handler or they are treated as the end of the mib.

I found when I tried this 'fix' that maxspeed and lidsuspend were still unavailable.

-Andy
iamasmith
It does work, but you need to build a new version of sysctl from cvs.

Make sure that it builds with the new version of cpu.h.

-Andy
ZDevil
I don't have the skills to compile the system itself, but i really look forward to a patched snapshot so that i can test and port stuff faster.
ZDevil
Another question:

As 4.2 has not yet supported write to SD, I am trying to use my Ultra II USB SD (got it tax-free during my last flight for 29 USD) as a USB mass storage device. But where can I see which device to mount?
Typing dmesg shows umass and uhub, which are not under /dev .

Thanks!
mathemajikian
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Aug 17 2007, 04:45 AM)
Another question:

As 4.2 has not yet supported write to SD, I am trying to use my Ultra II USB SD (got it tax-free during my last flight for 29 USD) as a USB mass storage device. But where can I see which device to mount?
Typing dmesg shows umass and uhub, which are not under /dev .

Thanks!

The command should be similar to the following: mount /dev/sd0i /mnt
The 0 and i will vary.
ZDevil
Ok, I got all my USB mass storage devices detected and mounted in 4.2.

So far I've tested these (all FAT formatted):
-- Apacer USB stick 512MB
-- Corsair Voyager 2GB
-- SanDisk Extreme II SD 2GB (convertible; w/ USB plug)
-- Sony Ericsson W800i (w/ 500MB memory stick inserted)

It just works! smile.gif
They mount as /dev/sd0i or /dev/sd1i.

Issue:
But the funny thing is at first when I was trying, the USB things are "partly" recognized without showing the right devices to be mounted, i.e. only showing umass and uhub, etc without showing sd0 or sd1 in dmesg.

Some of the failing cases: e.g. the two usb sticks
umass0 at uhub0 port 2 configuration 1 interface 0
umass0: vendor 0x1005 USB FLASH DRIVE, rev 2.00/1.00, addr 2
umass0: using SCSI over Bulk-Only
umass0 detached

uhub1 at uhub0 port 2: Prolific Technology Inc. USB Embedded Hub, rev 2.00/1.00, addr 2
umass0 at uhub1 port 1 configuration 1 interface 0
umass0: Prolific Technology Inc. USB Mass Storage Device, rev 2.00/1.00, addr 3
umass0: using ATAPI over Bulk-Only
umass0 detached
uhub1 detached

Some of the successful cases: e.g. SanDisk Extreme II SD, Sony Ericsson W800i
umass0 at uhub0 port 2 configuration 1 interface 0
umass0: SanDisk Corporation SD Plus, rev 2.00/0.10, addr 2
umass0: using SCSI over Bulk-Only
scsibus0 at umass0: 2 targets
sd0 at scsibus0 targ 1 lun 0: <SanDisk, SD Plus, 0.1> SCSI2 0/direct removable
sd0: 1938MB, 247 cyl, 255 head, 63 sec, 512 bytes/sec, 3970048 sec total

umodem0 at uhub0 port 2 configuration 1 interface 1
umodem0: Sony Ericsson Sony Ericsson W800, rev 2.00/0.00, addr 2, iclass 2/2
umodem0: data interface 2, has CM over data, has break
umodem0: status change notification available
ucom0 at umodem0
umodem1 at uhub0 port 2 configuration 1 interface 3
umodem1: Sony Ericsson Sony Ericsson W800, rev 2.00/0.00, addr 2, iclass 2/2
umodem1: data interface 4, has CM over data, has break
umodem1: status change notification available
ucom1 at umodem1
umass0 at uhub0 port 2 configuration 1 interface 8
umass0: Sony Ericsson Sony Ericsson W800, rev 2.00/0.00, addr 2
umass0: using ATAPI over Bulk-Only
scsibus1 at umass0: 2 targets
sd1 at scsibus1 targ 1 lun 0: <Sony Eri, Memory Stick, 0000> SCSI0 0/direct removable
sd1: 938MB, 119 cyl, 255 head, 63 sec, 512 bytes/sec, 1921024 sec total

I have to unplug the usb host cable, connect the host cable to the device, and plug the whole thing in again to make it work.
Also it seems the usb devices are sometimes not recognized (e.g. the small light on the stick isn't lit up). Would this need to be fixed?
mathemajikian
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Aug 26 2007, 03:10 AM)
I have to unplug the usb host cable, connect the host cable to the device, and plug the whole thing in again to make it work.
Also it seems the usb devices are sometimes not recognized (e.g. the small light on the stick isn't lit up). Would this need to be fixed?

I have the same issues, but it isn't a big deal. Just unplug the cable, connect the required device to the cable, and plug the device+cable combination back in.

QUOTE(ZDevil @ Aug 17 2007, 04:08 AM)
I don't have the skills to compile the system itself, but i really look forward to a patched snapshot so that i can test and port stuff faster.

Why wait for the snapshot? If you can answer two yes/no questions and press ENTER twice, then you have the skills needed to upgrade/build your system from source! See the following post: OpenBSD Update Script
ZDevil
Prolly I'll do that after finishing my porting (my 3200 is now very busy day and night) and knowing there's a working patch.
And roughly how long will it take to build the whole system (including the X stuff)?
mathemajikian
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Aug 26 2007, 01:47 PM)
Prolly I'll do that after finishing my porting (my 3200 is now very busy day and night) and knowing there's a working patch.
And roughly how long will it take to build the whole system (including the X stuff)?

Building X is optional. (Thats one of the yes/no questions) It will take about three days to build the entire system from source without X. I'd add an additional day if you elect to build X.
adf
QUOTE(mathemajikian @ Aug 26 2007, 06:00 AM)
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Aug 26 2007, 01:47 PM)

Building X is optional. (Thats one of the yes/no questions) It will take about three days to build the entire system from source without X. I'd add an additional day if you elect to build X.

This is a bit off topic, but I wasn't quite sure where to put it.
I've been following the openbsd threads casually-- it looks like hardware support is fair, and software is very good. (a working current firefox is a big plus for me)
Re software, do you compile using hard or soft floating point emulation? (soft being noticeably faster, and all)
Re hardware, is there a pinned thread somplace where the stuff that works, the stuff that is being worked on, and the stuff that hsn't been looked at yet is listed?
re the two--how is media playback and battery life?
I'm sure most of this is elsewhere... but it would be nice to have a snapshot of how 4.2 is coming along from a user persective
ZDevil
adf, I think you can find some of the answers here: http://www.oesf.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=17871

One thing may be different now: the system and the packages are now generally built with optimization settings.

Rereading Andy's text makes me think of the progress of work on bluetooth and SD support: Is GPL the main reason not to implement Bluez and the SD solution in other "roms"? But I see lardman's reply in the same thread. If he's right, then why not? Or if the implementation is problematic, then how? rolleyes.gif
ZDevil
Just out of curiosity: the latest snapshots feel snappier than 4.1. Is the whole systems built with optimization or is it just my illusion? smile.gif
adf
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Aug 26 2007, 02:58 PM)
adf, I think you can find some of the answers here: http://www.oesf.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=17871

One thing may be different now: the system and the packages are now generally built with optimization settings.

Rereading Andy's text makes me think of the progress of work on bluetooth and SD support: Is GPL the main reason not to implement Bluez and the SD solution in other "roms"? But I see lardman's reply in the same thread. If he's right, then why not? Or if the implementation is problematic, then how? rolleyes.gif

Thanks-that answered most of my questions. given that I rely on SD and Bluetooth it would be better if Ididn't consider openbsd as my main os on the Z--though popping it on a cf for fun might be in the future. Given at least the potential for working-but-unofficial binary hardwre drivers this situation may not be permanent
mathemajikian
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Aug 27 2007, 01:02 AM)
Just out of curiosity: the latest snapshots feel snappier than 4.1. Is the whole systems built with optimization or is it just my illusion?  smile.gif

I think the GENERIC kernel and base system are built with CPUFLAGS="-mcpu=xscale" only.

I've added the following to my Kernel:

makeoptions CPUFLAGS="-mtune=xscale -mcpu=xscale -O2 -pipe"

However; if you've setup the CFLAGS, and CXXFLAGS optimization flags in /etc/mk.conf, then your entire system will be built with "-mtune=xscale -mcpu=xscale -O2 -pipe" when you build from source. smile.gif
ZDevil
Ok, here is another issue about xrandr.

I tried xrandr -q to find out the correct size and got
CODE
Xlib: extension "RANDR" missing on display ":0.0"

And then I tried xrandr with some flags, e.g. -o -s etc, and got
CODE
Can't open display 0

Is there something we have to set in /etc/X11/xorg.conf? Or something else?

Thanks!
mathemajikian
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Aug 29 2007, 11:48 AM)
I tried xrandr -q to find out the correct size and got
CODE
Xlib: extension "RANDR" missing on display ":0.0"

And then I tried xrandr with some flags, e.g. -o -s etc, and got
CODE
Can't open display 0

Is there something we have to set in /etc/X11/xorg.conf? Or something else?

If you look in /var/log/Xorg.0.log you'll see this:

(II) wsfb(0): Enabling Driver Rotation, disabling RandR
(==) wsfb(0): Backing store disabled
(--) RandR disabled

So the wsfb driver disables it by default. Currently, the rotation of the screen can be changed by editing the "InputDevice" section of the Xorg.conf:

Option "Rotate" "string"
              Enable  rotation of the display. The supported val­
              ues are "CW" (clockwise, 90 degrees), "UD"  (upside
              down,  180  degrees)  and "CCW" (counter clockwise,
              270 degrees). Implies use of the shadow framebuffer
              layer.

However, it's not on the fly rotation. sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.