After further investigations ...
- ipkg update, upgrade with full ipkg.conf from build5.4.9, ipkg only upgrades using Meanie's feed and not Kazakov's one.
- update, upgrade with only Kazakov's feed works.
- abiword 2.4.6 from Kazakov's feed installs in addition to abiword 2.4.4 because AbiWord vs Abiword in /usr/bin
- after upgrade: no more window saying "You can safely remove the device now",
so some matchbox packages are updated but loosing Meanie's customizations.
- in package manager(qpkg): if 2 different versions of the same package name are available, only the first in alphabetical order will be installed, same with dependencies so it installs the lowest version each time and not the newest wanted.
- xournal 0.4 from Kazakov's feed: need to symlink to /usr/local for the app to find icons
- If I try "ipkg install xournal", it installs xournal 0.3.2 and not 0.4 which is annoying
The only way I found is to download the wanted pakages on my CF card and install them locally.
So I prefer not messing with Kazakov's feed, you need to know exactly what you do, what to upgrade, what not to upgrade if you want to keep Meanie's customizations(abiword, xpdf, gtk2, rox , matchbox, ...)
May be we should:
- incorporate selected essential packages from Kazakov's feed and put them in Meanie's feed but that needs a lot of testing(dbus, gtk2, ...). By the way, what do they bring to the table for a user perspective ? (fix bugs ?, new features ?, faster ?)
- port Meanie's customizations to the newest packages
- fix ipkg and qpkg to install the selected package and not another version
I don't know much about package management, that's just a brief test
thanks for the feedback.
in order to upgrade from kazakov's feed, you need to make sure it is the first line in /etc/ipkg.conf
the order of the feeds in ipkg.conf is important. the first one has highest priority and the last one the least.
upgrading to the latest packages will give you newer packages which have newer features/bug fixes made by other people, but you do loose some of the hacks that I added. some of the updated packages do have my patches already whereas others don't. that's why 5.5 is going to take a while because I will need to find all the apps that are updated without my patches and add them back in. it is just a matter of going through all of them and identifying the ones that don't and update those which of course reports like yours will help me identify them quicker.
i only "fixed" ipkg, but have not touched qpkg so the "bug" still exist in qpkg.
xournal 0.4 does not get detected because the Packages file in kazakov's feed is missing the xournal entry so ipkg will only find the older xournal version. what I did was to copy all the packages from his feed to a SD card and regenerate the Packages file using ipkg-make-index and then updating ipkg.conf to point at my local feed.