Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pdaxii13 V5.4.9: My Old Programs
OESF Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Distro Support and Discussion > pdaXrom
climber
Hi,

actually I've installed pdaXii13 v5.4.7 from Meanie. Since I installed this version I installed many different ipks with PackageManager to fakeroot destination.

My problem is that I don't want to reinstall all my apps when I decide to use meanies new version (hdimage-full). Is there any way to get this work or not?

For the future when I install a new version of pdaXii13 is there any possibility for the installation of new apps to get these work?

Thanks
climber smile.gif

SL-C3100 & pdaXii13 v5.4.7
jpmatrix
QUOTE(climber @ Aug 22 2007, 09:42 AM)
Hi,

actually I've installed pdaXii13 v5.4.7 from Meanie. Since I installed this version I installed many different ipks with PackageManager to fakeroot destination.

My problem is that I don't want to reinstall all my apps when I decide to use meanies new version (hdimage-full). Is there any way to get this work or not?

For the future when I install a new version of pdaXii13 is there any possibility for the installation of new apps to get these work?

Thanks
climber  smile.gif

SL-C3100 & pdaXii13 v5.4.7

i don't know if i've really understood what you mean, but why not upgrading via the pdaxii13-custom method ?

from http://www.tyrannozaurus.com/feed/pdaXii13/tmp/ :

"You can upgrade/patch using the upgrade option in the installer instead of re-installing everything provided you have a copy of the latest pdaXii13-custom.tgz on your install media/card."

http://www.tyrannozaurus.com/feed/pdaXii13...ii13-custom.tgz
climber
For the most of the apps the pdaxii13-custom method is enough. But if you take a look to Meanies upgrade/patch file infos:

(cool.gif - included in pdaXii13 base and full
(f) - included in pdaXii13 full only
(p) - can be patched/updated via pdaXii13-custom.tgz
(i) - install/upgrade of new or existing package required

and take for example:
- updated kernel 2.4.20 (b/i)
- added wm8758mixer (f/i)

How can I get this informations on my zaurus. I couldn't find any script or something else on Meanies custom/update feed.

Maybe I forgott to read Meanies instructions more intensive!?
Meanie
QUOTE(climber @ Aug 22 2007, 09:04 PM)
For the most of the apps the pdaxii13-custom method is enough. But if you take a look to Meanies upgrade/patch file infos:

(cool.gif - included in pdaXii13 base and full
(f) - included in pdaXii13 full only
(p) - can be patched/updated via pdaXii13-custom.tgz
(i) - install/upgrade of new or existing package required

and take for example:
-  updated kernel 2.4.20 (b/i)
-  added wm8758mixer (f/i)

How can I get this informations on my zaurus. I couldn't find any script or something else on Meanies custom/update feed.

Maybe I forgott to read Meanies instructions more intensive!?

the kernel can only be upgraded by flashing a new kernel so the update script will not be able to do it. to update the kernel, simply flash the new kernel just like you would flash a new rom version but omit the initrd.bin file

as for the wm8758mixer, simply install it from the feed...
climber
I upgraded successfull to v5.4.9. Now I want to upadate the kernel and put all files on my cf-card but without the initrd.bin file. Booting my zaurus I cant find a entry where I can update my kernel!

Please could you write down all the files which I need on my cf to update the kernel!

Thanks
climber
scheck.r
The procedure is the same as when you flash your system but without the initrd.bin fileso, I think you just need to;
- have updater.sh and tools.tar on SD or CF formatted as FAT16(everything at / directory)
- press OK during reboot:
- press 4
- choose SD or CF accordingly
- click yes
- choose "Install a new ROM" from the installer menu

The installer will figure out that you only update the kernel instead of the full distro.
If you have a careful look when you flash the system, it replaces first the kernel and then only it replaces the rest so you can only replace the kernel if you want(contained in tools .tar) or leave the kernel as it is and replace only the rest using the same tools.tar as before but with a another initrd.bin(created by zbackup for example), it is really that simple. So you don't need anymore to make NAND backups(long and risky), now you can backup your distro using zbackup(faster and safer, smaller file).
Meanie
QUOTE(scheck.r @ Aug 30 2007, 05:03 AM)
The procedure is the same as when you flash your system but without the initrd.bin fileso, I think you just need to;
- have updater.sh and tools.tar on SD or CF formatted as FAT16(everything at / directory)
- press OK during reboot:
- press 4
- choose SD or CF accordingly
- click yes
- choose "Install a new ROM" from the installer menu

The installer will figure out that you only update the kernel instead of the full distro.
If you have a careful look when you flash the system, it replaces first the kernel and then only it  replaces the rest so you can only replace the kernel if you want(contained in tools .tar) or leave the kernel as it is and replace only the rest using the same tools.tar as before but with a another initrd.bin(created by zbackup for example), it is really that simple. So you don't need anymore to make NAND backups(long and risky), now you can backup your distro using zbackup(faster and safer, smaller file).

that's exactly it. you got that 100% right.
climber
Ok, I did it. Kernel flash went fine! I used the updater.sh and tools.tar.

When I did the reboot everything starts fine. My alias setting in /etc/profile were gone but I knew what there was inside also some additional entry at path were gone.

But when I open the Menue --> System I only see about 15 entries! All the others are gone for example "Time/Date Setting" & "CPU Setting" ,... etc.!

I'm not sure but I could imagine that I took the wrong files for my upgrade on my cf-card:

- pdaXii13-custom.tgz
- tools.tar
- update.sh
- initrd.bin

What's going wrong???? dry.gif

Thanks
climber
scheck.r
Don't put neither initrd.bin nor pdaXii13-custom.tgz on your CF if you just want to flash the kernel.
climber
That's clear and the kernel flash worked fine!

The other problem I mentioned is that unter Menue --> System are not all entries available anymore which I had before!

So I guess I did something wrong during the upgrade from 5.4.7 to 5.4.9

Which files to I need to for upgrading:

1.) pdaXii13-custom.tgz
2.) ????
3.) ???
4.) ????
scheck.r
QUOTE(climber @ Aug 31 2007, 07:38 AM)
That's clear and the kernel flash worked fine!

The other problem I mentioned is that unter Menue --> System are not all entries available anymore which I had before!

So I guess I did something wrong during the upgrade from 5.4.7 to 5.4.9

Which files to I need to for upgrading:

1.)  pdaXii13-custom.tgz
2.)  ????
3.)  ???
4.)  ????
updater.sh(version 0.3 to access the flashing menu and have the upgrade option) and pdaXii13-custom.tgz(which contains the updated files)
scheck.r
pdaXii13-custom.tgz is only to upgrade the base install, not the full.
I hope you did a backup of your 5.4.7 install before doing all this because otherwise I think you lost your custom install from 5.4.7 since if I understood you correctly you put updater.sh, tools.tar and initrd.bin on your CF so you ended up with a fresh 5.4.9 base distro without your customizations.
What you should have done right from the beginning is a 3 setps thing:
first step: flash the kernel with updater.sh and tools.tar
second step: upgrade the base using updater.sh(version 0.3) and pdaXii13-custom.tgz
third step: install manually any new package that were updated or added in pdaxii13 full
climber
Yes, fortunately I did a backup before! I have the full install so I got exactly the problem you told me!

What can I do do update my full install???

Thanks
climber
jpmatrix
QUOTE(climber @ Aug 31 2007, 12:47 PM)
Yes, fortunately  I did a backup before! I have the full install so I got exactly the problem you told me!

Thanks
climber

to my opinion, pdaxii13-custom can update either the base or the full. i always used it to upgrade my full from version x to version x+1 (look http://www.tyrannozaurus.com/feed/pdaXii13/tmp/ )

perhaps you're running into filesystem corruption (i had a lot...). did you try to boot to emergency then fsck /dev/hda1 ?
scheck.r
QUOTE(jpmatrix @ Aug 31 2007, 02:10 PM)
QUOTE(climber @ Aug 31 2007, 12:47 PM)
Yes, fortunately  I did a backup before! I have the full install so I got exactly the problem you told me!

Thanks
climber

to my opinion, pdaxii13-custom can update either the base or the full. i always used it to upgrade my full from version x to version x+1 (look http://www.tyrannozaurus.com/feed/pdaXii13/tmp/ )

perhaps you're running into filesystem corruption (i had a lot...). did you try to boot to emergency then fsck /dev/hda1 ?

Yeah right, in theory pdaxii13-custom.tgz can update either the base or the full BUT in practice if you have a careful look at http://www.tyrannozaurus.com/feed/pdaXii13/tmp/
the last new/updated package from a full install is from release notes for build5.3.5
updated rc.local message and backgrounding welcome message (f/p)
all other packages since this one have (f/i) and not (f/p) which means you still need to install the new packages by hand.

So to summ up the upgrade process if you have a full install:
- If the kernel hasn't change you need:
1. flash using updater.sh and pdaxii13-custom.tgz
2. manually install any added/updated package
or
2. a. get the fixed ipkg binary here: http://www.oesf.org/forums/index.php?showt...=0&#entry166813
b. make sure Meanie's custom feed is the first line of /etc/ipkg.conf
c. from the cli : ipkg update followed by ipkg upgrade
d. cross your fingers
e. install any added packages you want
- if the kernel has changed you need:
1. flash the kernel using updater.sh and tools.tar
2. flash again using updater.sh and pdaxii13-custom.tgz
3. manually install any added/updated package
or
3. a. get the fixed ipkg binary here: http://www.oesf.org/forums/index.php?showt...=0&#entry166813
b. make sure Meanie's custom feed is the first line of /etc/ipkg.conf
c. from the cli : ipkg update followed by ipkg upgrade
d. cross your fingers
e. install any added packages you want
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2015 Invision Power Services, Inc.