Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Debian On C3xxx (merged Topics)
OESF Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Distro Support and Discussion > Debian
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
dlj0
QUOTE(tux @ Sep 21 2007, 02:50 PM)
QUOTE(tux @ Sep 21 2007, 03:45 PM)
cool.gif Reinstalling: I think I know what I'm doing now! rolleyes.gif

snipped

sad.gif Another reason for dropping back to etch is that the lenny system started having wifi problems. The booting process showed that a hack was being loaded to get round a problem with my card and the messages started to be errors! unsure.gif

cool.gif It took two attempts to reinstall. The first one cracked up with segmentation faults towards the end of the process. Don't ask what happened, I have no clue!

Perhaps an occurrence of BarrySamuel's law! laugh.gif

The problem then, after successful install, was that the wireless card stopped working. It didn't do that last night! rolleyes.gif

Maybe the fact that my cards are three old Zonet cards and a Pretec from the dark ages has a bearing on this? Perhaps I should get a new flashy wifi card. Any tips? smile.gif [I]

It seems that the system now renames the wifi interface from the eth0 used in install, which is configured, to wlan1, which of course isn't! ph34r.gif

I edited the interfaces file to reflect the change and went on my merry way rejoicing. biggrin.gif

The gui is installing now.

I plan to install dhcp-client edit the interfaces file to suit, sudo and edit the sudoers file, alter the time before password change is forced and set the system time correctly.

I'll do a shutdown -r reboot and see what happens before I use the gui extensively.

Boy is this revising my patchy command line skills!

I'll make a note of your xdm tip ZDevil. Thanks again. biggrin.gif

I had a problem with wifi after install as well. The issue for me was the wrong kernel module being loaded, or maybe two of them. I gooled the error message and found that, on my old card, I needed to blacklist hostap and unblacklist orinoco -- exactly the opposite of what most will suggest. Maybe we both need new cards.

But for me eth0 is still the cf wifi interface, and it works so much better now than any other.
dlj0
New question. I am interested in getting WPA access with my 3100. I have not been able to do so before. Maybe titchy/debian will give me new ways....

I have an old Ambicom wl 1100c. It works great at home (open access) and at most hotels. I have read that the firmware on the card needs to be updated to make this work with WPA. I have also heard that doing so can toast the card. Access range isn't all that hot, anyway. Maybe it's time for a new card.

But stores don't sell them any longer. so it has to be on-line.

Does anyone have one that works with WPA?? Or, can I make the Ambicom work? Suggestions for wpa_supplicant, and maybe some other utilities?

Since I seem to be able to do everything else with my usb port now, could I use one of these usb stick wifi adapters? Anyone try? Again, would it work with WPA? Would it need a powered hub?

I know most of y'all are still fiddling with installing this, but you'd be the only ones likely to know about wifi on titchy machines.
maximusz
Hello,
Just a few questions please:

1.Are there any emulators that work well for debian arm?

2.What about notepad or a quick way to scribble notes?

3.What are the top 5 apps that the Debian users are using currently?

4. What does Pdaxii13 do better?

Thanks in advance
Capn_Fish
QUOTE(dlj0 @ Sep 22 2007, 09:01 AM)
New question.  I am interested in getting WPA access with my 3100.  I have not been able to do so before.  Maybe titchy/debian will give me new ways....

I have an old Ambicom wl 1100c.  It works great at home (open access) and at most hotels.  I have read that the firmware on the card needs to be updated to make this work with WPA.  I have also heard that doing so can toast the card.  Access range isn't all that hot, anyway.  Maybe it's time for a new card.

But stores don't sell them any longer. so it has to be on-line.

Does anyone have one that works with WPA??  Or, can I make the Ambicom work?  Suggestions for wpa_supplicant, and maybe some other utilities?

Since I seem to be able to do everything else with my usb port now, could I use one of these usb stick wifi adapters?  Anyone try?  Again, would it work with WPA?  Would it need a powered hub?

I know most of y'all are still fiddling with installing this, but you'd be the only ones likely to know about wifi on titchy machines.

I updated the firmware of my WL1100C with little trouble (and downgraded it as well). It does support WPA as far as I know, so you may want to look into it (you can update on your Z with my kernel, found here

http://www.oesf.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=24233&st=30

post 36.
tux
[quote=dlj0,Sep 22 2007, 01:52 PM]
[quote=tux,Sep 21 2007, 02:50 PM][quote=tux,Sep 21 2007, 03:45 PM]cool.gif Reinstalling: I think I know what I'm doing now! rolleyes.gif

snipped...

sad.gif Another reason for dropping back to etch is that the lenny system started having wifi problems. The booting process showed that a hack was being loaded to get round a problem with my card and the messages started to be errors! unsure.gif

[/quote]

snipped ...
I had a problem with wifi after install as well. The issue for me was the wrong kernel module being loaded, or maybe two of them. I gooled the error message and found that, on my old card, I needed to blacklist hostap and unblacklist orinoco -- exactly the opposite of what most will suggest. Maybe we both need new cards.

But for me eth0 is still the cf wifi interface, and it works so much better now than any other.

[/quote]

cool.gif Thanks for the info and the possible explanation. The last installation has left me with a working eth0 as set up by the installation process! rolleyes.gif Perhaps my problem was related to lenny?

Any way all my cards work, wifi is rock-solid: never been so confident in wifi with the Zs. biggrin.gif

But if I want the smarter security I'll need to find a new one. I must try and find time to test the cf lan card and the usb lan dongle. Not to mention the usb memory devices.

I did install dhclient and it works without problem: i'll get around to setting the system to use it automatically eventually. smile.gif

I did find that the keymap that I 'installed' using the wiki instructions didn't load at boot up. i sorted it by mv-ing the spitz file into theconsole directory. Now works fine. wink.gif

ZDevil's tip about rmove xdm has let me have my way about text login. Installing sudo has let me then run the gui. I suppose I'm being dozy, but surely there is a more elegant way of quitting x thean ctrl alt / ?

On a more trivial note: I installed frotz and can now waste more time playing Scott Adams's games and Zork! laugh.gif

cheers (Oh and adf try a different SD card i'm sure you'll be successful!) cool.gif
ZDevil
QUOTE(dlj0 @ Sep 22 2007, 03:52 PM)
I had a problem with wifi after install as well.  The issue for me was the wrong kernel module being loaded, or maybe two of them.  I gooled the error message and found that, on my old card, I needed to blacklist hostap and unblacklist orinoco -- exactly the opposite of what most will suggest.  Maybe we both need new cards.

How do you do the (un)blacklisting precisely? I am also using the same CF wifi card and also start to run into wifi trouble. The card keep losing connection with the router ("no IPv6 routers present" error).

I checked /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist and both hostap and orinoco are not there (not blacklisted yet).
So I added
CODE
blacklist hostap
blacklist hostap_pci
blacklist hostap_plx

to the file and reboot. Still having trouble.

For sound I installed the zaurus-soundhack.deb, but sound is still not working despite this dmesg output:
CODE
ASoC version 0.13.0
WM8750: WM8750 Audio Codec 0.12
asoc: WM8750 <-> pxa2xx-i2s mapping ok
(and I hear some noise from the speaker at this point...)
Any update?

Thanks!
adf
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Sep 21 2007, 08:06 AM)
@adf

Have you tried to install Debian again with another SD card?
So far there are two theories floating around:

Theory 1: The kernel fails to handle certain CF cards/microdrives. We have yet to see the hard evidence.
Theory 2: It is a more general issue of SD card misbehavior (see Chero's post for the fix) that causes problem during extraction of the CD image, resulting in the failure to reformat the disk (it seems the reformatting tool is somewhere in the CD image). A number of users (tux, Chero, me, etc) have confirmed this.

How about supplying us some evidence for/against either of these? rolleyes.gif

I'll give it a few tries this weekend. I have another theory, too.
That zImage that goes on the SD isn't the debian kernel, is it? Is it maybe more of a boot loader kernel? I sugggest this both from what seems to be the way openbsd is doing things, and because on every ther debian install I've ever done, the debian kernel is in the install image? If this is true, then possibly it is a crappy bootloader kernel and not really a debian issue at all regarding why on boot my drive isn't found (root= incorrect). Any comments?
I would say, though that the disk is at least repartitioned, whether or not there is a formatting problem.

I'll partition an sd--start from a 256M partition with everything standard. failing that I'll replace the titch zImage with a pdaxii13 zImage (on the theory it is a boot loader). we'll see smile.gif

re read chero's post. my experience is that the system claims to have extracted correctly- is this usual if the SD partitioning is the culprit?
tux
QUOTE(adf @ Sep 22 2007, 07:11 PM)
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Sep 21 2007, 08:06 AM)
@adf

Have you tried to install Debian again with another SD card?
So far there are two theories floating around:

Theory 1: The kernel fails to handle certain CF cards/microdrives. We have yet to see the hard evidence.
Theory 2: It is a more general issue of SD card misbehavior (see Chero's post for the fix) that causes problem during extraction of the CD image, resulting in the failure to reformat the disk (it seems the reformatting tool is somewhere in the CD image). A number of users (tux, Chero, me, etc) have confirmed this.

How about supplying us some evidence for/against either of these? rolleyes.gif

That zImage that goes on the SD isn't the debian kernel, is it? Is it maybe more of a boot loader kernel? I sugggest this both from what seems to be the way openbsd is doing things, and because on every ther debian install I've ever done, the debian kernel is in the install image? If this is true, then possibly it is a crappy bootloader kernel and not really a debian issue at all regarding why on boot my drive isn't found (root= incorrect). Any comments?
I would say, though that the disk is at least repartitioned, whether or not there is a formatting problem.

I'll partition an sd--start from a 256M partition with everything standard. failing that I'll replace the titch zImage with a pdaxii13 zImage (on the theory it is a boot loader). we'll see smile.gif

re read chero's post. my experience is that the system claims to have extracted correctly- is this usual if the SD partitioning is the culprit?

cool.gif From my last glimpse at the comments on the TichyLinux site, it appears that the kernel is an angstrom one. So I'm thinking that Capn Fish and other like minded souls will be able to get thoroughly involved with this!

I hope you get your machine up and running soon, I think chero's tip will help with the SD card business. smile.gif

I really posted to report how easy it is to use my usb lan dongle. biggrin.gif

I stopped the wifi, ejected it and plugged in the dongle. Then i did the modprobe ohci-hcd magic. i didn't have to mess about with command line configuration. i did install dhclient and all it took was to use dhclient and it went off and connected me! biggrin.gif

Oh, fn + d-pad does swap tty in the console environment. I'll try the keylaunch tricks later on. Thanks all. biggrin.gif

I'm now going to try and upgrade to lenny. rolleyes.gif

I've twiddled the sources list and an update and a dist-upgrade should do the trick. Since I've had three days with about 4 hours per night sleep playing at this I'll leave it to play while I nap in front of the TV! wink.gif

Cheers. cool.gif
adf
As I suspected would be the case, same exact error from repartitioned card.

Using a pdaxii kernel, the titchy system formatted everything just fine, but of course didn't work.
It has looked to me, from reflashing after a failed Titchy attempt, and from doing the alternate kernel thing that the Titchy formatting/updating system has worked perfectly in all of my attempts. (if a full format is "perfect")

I'm convinced the problem is that the titchy kernel is not recognizing my device, and that my options are to not use titchy or to not use my 16gig CF. Given that pdaxii13 works I guess I'll pass on Titchy until some further development makes it seem likelier to actually work. For now, I'm spending way too much time profitlessly flashing my Z.
thanks for the pointers, though.

Edit: if the kernel is from Angstrom, then maybe there's some hope it will get fixed eventually. til then I guess I'll skip trying Angstrom, too wink.gif
ZDevil
Thanks for the informative update, adf.
Sorry to hear the ode of dejection from your A-Data CF ...
Personally I am (and have always been) very optimistic about the future of Debian/Z. It will be the killer distro on Z (and handhelds in general). It is already very close to this. At least it has already brought about such a big surprise to those who can get it running.
Looking forward to more good news/tips/fixes and bigger fun.
ZDevil
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Sep 22 2007, 08:33 PM)
I had a problem with wifi after install as well.  The issue for me was the wrong kernel module being loaded, or maybe two of them.  I gooled the error message and found that, on my old card, I needed to blacklist hostap and unblacklist orinoco -- exactly the opposite of what most will suggest.  Maybe we both need new cards.

How do you do the (un)blacklisting precisely? I am also using the same CF wifi card and also start to run into wifi trouble. The card keep losing connection with the router ("no IPv6 routers present" error).

I checked /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist and both hostap and orinoco are not there (not blacklisted yet).
So I added
blacklist hostap
blacklist hostap_pci
blacklist hostap_plx

I tried this and it seems to fix the wifi problem.

1) Just create a separate blacklist file /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-eth.
2) Then drop the few lines in the quote above into this file.
3) Save and reboot.
4) Now my wifi connection comes back again!
But I am not absolutely sure if it is because of the unpredictable behavior of the kernel module.
Can anyone confirm this?
tux
QUOTE(adf @ Sep 22 2007, 08:06 PM)
As I suspected would be the case, same exact error from repartitioned card.

Using a pdaxii kernel, the titchy system formatted everything just fine, but of course didn't work.
It has looked to me, from reflashing after a failed Titchy attempt, and from doing the alternate kernel thing that the Titchy formatting/updating system has worked perfectly in all of my attempts. (if a full format is "perfect")

I'm convinced the problem is that the titchy kernel is not recognizing my device, and that my options are to not use titchy or to not use my 16gig CF.  Given that pdaxii13  works I guess I'll pass on Titchy until some further development makes it seem likelier to actually work. For now, I'm spending way too much time profitlessly flashing my Z.
thanks for the pointers, though.

Edit: if the kernel is from Angstrom, then maybe there's some hope it will get fixed eventually. til then I guess I'll skip trying Angstrom, too wink.gif

cool.gif Adf, when you go through the installation process do you get to the stage where it says something about 'loading installation components'. Assuming you do: a progress bar comes up and a message that says the components are being loaded and the components being loaded flash on the screen and an updating percentage is shown.

On my first tries that did not succeed in installing anything, but which did format the hard drive, the percentage and the bar flicked off at various low percentages. Now I realise that the components did not all load, hence the failed installs. Among the components are the modules that detect the hardware... including the hard drive for use in the later stages of the install.

Of course you could well be right that your non standard disk is not being recognised. But if the disk detection module is not being loaded it would fail to recognise any disk.it certainly failed to recognise my standard drive until I started again with a Lexar 128MB SD card.

Before you go to the trouble of surgery on your Z, or give up, try again with a small capacity card! wink.gif

Either way I hope you're soon up and running, I'm likely to need lots of help! rolleyes.gif

The dist-upgrade I mentioned in an earlier post appears to have completed. I'm looking at a graphical login and the led stopped flashing a minute or two ago. It has taken approx 1 hour to complete. Wish me luck!! biggrin.gif

I was wrong, I had to quit from it and answer some questions at the console. Hope I answered correctly! rolleyes.gif
adf
I get nothing about installation components. the kernel loads a few things decides to set root and panics.
you may be right about the low capacity card, the problem is that here in Ak a low capacity card is likely to be something that has been on the shelves for a few years and is being sold at its original retail markup--or close. I really don't want to shell out 40-50 bucks for a 128M SD, and the smallest I have here is 1G. I could try a small partition of my 4g, but that doesn't sound hopeful. I guess I'll call around for a small SD
adf
QUOTE(adf @ Sep 22 2007, 01:11 PM)
I get nothing about installation components. the kernel loads a few things decides to set root and panics.
you may be right about the low capacity card, the problem is that here in Ak a low capacity card is likely to be something that has been on the shelves for a few years and is being sold at its original retail markup--or close. I really don't want to shell out 40-50 bucks for a 128M SD, and the smallest I have here is 1G.  I could try a small partition of my 4g, but that doesn't sound hopeful. I guess I'll call around for a small SD

The more I think about it the more I think you might be on to something. I had a look around hda1--as far as I can tell, the extraction went fine- which means that something possibly didn't get extracted to the nand flash. This would fit your ideas about what might be happening.
adf
QUOTE(adf @ Sep 22 2007, 03:53 PM)
QUOTE(adf @ Sep 22 2007, 01:11 PM)
you may be right about the low capacity card, the problem is that here in Ak a low capacity card is likely to be something that has been on the shelves for a few years and is being sold at its original retail markup--or close. I really don't want to shell out 40-50 bucks for a 128M SD, and the smallest I have here is 1G.  I could try a small partition of my 4g, but that doesn't sound hopeful. I guess I'll call around for a small SD

The more I think about it the more I think you might be on to something. I had a look around hda1--as far as I can tell, the extraction went fine- which means that something possibly didn't get extracted to the nand flash. This would fit your ideas about what might be happening.

update, I accidentally tried with a cf card in, the console scroll showed that it used cf card services to identify the card before it tried to set root on my internal, and crashed with the same kernel panic.

For now, I am taking meanie's view to be most accurate, and returning to pdaxii13 to await developments
dlj0
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Sep 22 2007, 02:33 PM)

So I added
CODE
blacklist hostap
blacklist hostap_pci
blacklist hostap_plx

Try backlisting orinoco and unblacklisting hostap, instead. That was the suggestion I found on the net, but most people have newer wifi cards than mine. But I had a specific error message (I forgot it now, very odd, looks like raw code), so maybe your problem is different from mine.
dlj0
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Sep 22 2007, 02:33 PM)
So I added
CODE
blacklist hostap
blacklist hostap_pci
blacklist hostap_plx

I didn't have either of the last two of those, I had just

blacklist hostap
blacklist hostap_cs

Originally both the hostap and the orinoco modules loaded.  For my old card, the orinoco modules worked, the hostap did not. 

dlj0
[quote=tux,Sep 22 2007, 03:46 PM]

That zImage that goes on the SD isn't the debian kernel, is it?

[/quote

yes, it is a debian kernel -- full thing, not just a bootloader.

[quote]
Is it maybe more of a boot loader kernel? I sugggest this both from what seems to be the way openbsd is doing things, and because on every ther debian install I've ever done, the debian kernel is in the install image?
[/quote]

it's a Zaurus thing. That is where the kernel has to go, as I understand it.

[quote]
cool.gif From my last glimpse at the comments on the TichyLinux site, it appears that the kernel is an angstrom one. So I'm thinking that Capn Fish and other like minded souls will be able to get thoroughly involved with this!
[/quote]
No, Angstrom kernels are armel-based, not arm, and they will not run arm binaries.... I tried.
[quote]
I really posted to report how easy it is to use my usb lan dongle. biggrin.gif

I stopped the wifi, ejected it and plugged in the dongle. Then i did the modprobe ohci-hcd magic. i didn't have to mess about with command line configuration. i did install dhclient and all it took was to use dhclient and it went off and connected me! biggrin.gif

I'm now going to try and upgrade to lenny. rolleyes.gif

I've twiddled the sources list and an update and a dist-upgrade should do the trick. Since I've had three days with about 4 hours per night sleep playing at this I'll leave it to play while I nap in front of the TV! wink.gif

Cheers. cool.gif

[/quote]
dlj0
QUOTE(maximusz @ Sep 22 2007, 11:23 AM)
Hello,
Just a few questions please:

1.Are there any emulators that work well for debian arm?

2.What about notepad or a quick way to scribble notes?

3.What are the top 5 apps that the Debian users are using currently?

4. What does Pdaxii13 do better?

Thanks in advance

emulators of what? You mean wine? I would not hope for much out of that.

As far as notes go, you could try mousepad, but I prefere xpostit for this sort of thing.

Top 5? For me? icedove, iceweasel, LyX (and TeX), wxmaxima, pysol...

I haven't used pdaXrom since beta 1, since I could not upgrade to the one with the 2.6 kernel.
adf
I think he means game console emulators? amaiga and dos emulators? that kind of thing?

Along the lines of iceweasel being a good reason to run debian, has anyone tired NVU/Kompozer?
and, Zdevil, have you tried kde? 3.5 is more useable on a cf in pdaxii13 than it was on the MD--I bet it would be useable in debian run from a CF.

Anyone try an NX client? (is there one for arm?)

sshfs?

I'd be willing to bet that pdaxii13 does video/audio playback way better, and very likely does better game emulation. Pdax, and especially pdaxii13 has a longer history of refinement on the Z--and the iwmmxt/bvd/audio enhancement stuff for the 2.4 kernel hasn't been matched by anything running 2.6 on the Z.

The advantage of debian is that it is a Z (and apparently already a pretty good one) port of a big, well integrated, developed and maintained distro--arguably much more powerful from a systems stand point---that and some of the software (like the web browser) is newer
tux
cool.gif Hi adf,
give it another try when you can find a cheap 128 MB card. I'm sure you'd be happy with this system, unless you and Meanie are correct about your big drive. sad.gif

Since you have experience of pdax systems, do you have any suggestion of how I might avoid using sudo to load the gui as a 'normal' user? I was wondering if an x user group might be a possibility?

Good luck with getting Titchy working. biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif I have been happy using kdepimpi on my Zs and the thumbdrive version on my boxes. I just copy the working file to/fro the current Z to the boxes.

So I installed kdepim in Titchy last night and it took a while, it also takes ages to load! But I've just copied the calendar files across into my home directory. When I double tapped korganiser sprang, creakily, to life and imported it. I then imported the birthday file and merged it in. If I was cleverer with korganiser I might have chosen better.

I'm just waiting to see what happens now I've double tapped the addressbook file. 600 plus contacts! So it could be a while. I've just clicked on 'import all'. I should go for another cup of tea. laugh.gif The drive led is still flashing occasionally, so I really will have that cup of tea before saving and exiting from kaddressbook. unsure.gif

If I use the kdepim apps I'm going to have to leave the addressbook app open in a workspace or it will be far too slow!

This does work but is slow. The calendar files are ics format, the addressbook files are vcf. I'll go googling for apps that can use these formats and that might work quickly.
Any suggestions are more than welcome.[I]

I'm finding that titchy is making me feel more ambitious. Compiling programs on the 3200 looks more doable, I've loaded build-essential. I'm even thinking that a big drive like ZDevil would be worth the attempt. blink.gif

Cheers
adf
I'm pretty sure the kernel isn't identifying my drive. I'm also pretty sure that it should (other kernels do- this one is a very inconvenient anomaly), and that with an update or two it will. Actually I kinda suspect that someone with more of a clue about Z kernels than I have will get curious about improving hardware support in the near future- this is too cool to leave with iffy sound, awkward rotation and a sideways mouse (and mis-Identifying a very common, cost effective card--the current price difference between ZDevel's card and mine is over $100 USD)
Anyway, since the devopment environment is one of the attractions here, I agree that you should compile something more useful, or quicker, pimwise. Maybe the pimlico stuff would suit?

Incidentally, the kdepim will load much more quickly if you are running kde (or maybe some other qt-based desktop?), which benefits hugely from the faster seek rate on a flash card
tux
QUOTE(adf @ Sep 23 2007, 09:31 AM)
I'm pretty sure the kernel isn't identifying my drive. I'm also pretty sure that it should (other kernels do- this one is a very inconvenient  anomaly), and that with an update or two it will.  Actually I kinda suspect that someone with more of a clue about Z kernels than I have will get curious about improving hardware support in the near future- this is too cool to leave with iffy sound, awkward rotation and a sideways mouse (and mis-Identifying a very common, cost effective card--the current price difference between ZDevel's card and mine is over $100 USD)
Anyway, since the devopment environment is one of the attractions here, I agree that you should compile something more useful, or quicker, pimwise. Maybe the pimlico stuff would suit?

Incidentally, the kdepim will load much more quickly if you are running kde (or maybe some other qt-based desktop?), which benefits hugely from the faster seek rate on a flash card

cool.gif I thought the Xcfe idea was that it would run better on a low resource machine? I'll leave trying kde until I've got a bit further in! biggrin.gif smile.gif

I've just removed kdepim and stared to look for other possibilities. Orage which is the calendar app for Xcfe loads the ics files. I'll carry on with my googling and see what i can find for contacts. I don't want to go the 'import contacts from Outlook' route. I want at least to be able to copy the data files between the various apps I use without extra fiddles. smile.gif

(I forgot to say that the dist-upgrade went well. Just had to use ZDevil's tip about xdm remove to work from a text login.) biggrin.gif

Cheers cool.gif
adf
XFCE will be faster, definitely. I simply like having the kde option.

As I said earlier, I bet the epiphany-with-webkit-backend will be worth trying out, though.

glad to hear "testing" is an option.
Capn_Fish
QUOTE(adf @ Sep 23 2007, 07:58 AM)
XFCE will be faster, definitely. I simply like having the kde option.

As I said earlier, I bet the epiphany-with-webkit-backend will be worth trying out, though.

glad to hear "testing" is an option.

Isn't the webkit stuff excruciatingly buggy and crashes almost as soon as you load the browser?
Chero
Hi,

Wanted : X-specialist.

I installed u-boot and pdaXrom r198 after the titchy setup.
I can boot both pdaXrom and debian (debian by pressing "2" while booting).

I can use bluetooth and wifi in both systems. They both use kernel 2.6.16 now.
The downside (or the problem to solve) : I can't run X.
I checked the way kdrive is installed in debian, but it doesn't seem to be standard and it seems to be using it's own libs ??
I tried the pdaXrom Xfbdev, but no go.
I tried xorg, but then X can't find display.
I also tried Xephyr (based on kdrive ?) but that one asks to set the display. I tried "zaurus:0" and "127.0.0.1:0" but no go.
Anyone have an idea ?
Dualbooting pdaX and debian would be a dream machine !

Chero.
tux
(I forgot to say that the dist-upgrade went well. Just had to use ZDevil's tip about xdm remove to work from a text login.) biggrin.gif

Cheers cool.gif

cool.gif So the latest: removed everything I installed, titchy-desktop, abiword, iceweasel, sylpheed... (I left dhclient on.)

Then I installed titchy, the complete desktop set up from N&T site.

rolleyes.gif The contact (gpe) program loads the kdepimpi file from the Zs. It doesn't do the categories though. Orage is the calendar and will load the kdepimpi file from the Zs. biggrin.gif

Serendipity! So it looks like I should get on to my Nokia tablets and see if the gpe suite will load the files from the Zs. laugh.gif

As to the pimlico suite: dates seems ok, there is a repository if you look on the pimlico site. Contacts seems to want to load some evolution libraries. I decided not to bother for the moment. unsure.gif

So I'll try the gpe stuff out for now. I was dubious because of the Opie/Angstrom connection. I admit to being prejudiced, but I have found those distros/projects to be a painful waste of time for me. sad.gif

Don't bother to flame me, I think I was under prepared for the culture change!

Pidgin is in the titchy setup. I've never bothered with the likes of this, I suppose I shoulsd give it a try?

Sylpheed just works with no hassles at all!

Cheers!
ZDevil
QUOTE(Chero @ Sep 23 2007, 09:56 PM)
Hi,

Could you show me how to do that, even though I am no X-specialist? smile.gif
ZDevil
More results of sound and key testing.

Sounds:
It WORKS.
I installed alsa and some mixer apps, such as aumix, in addition to zaurus-soundhack.deb .
In aumix there are three settings:
Pcm, Pcm2 and IGain, which are set to 100, 80 and 80 respectively.
I found the speaker volume was too low. Setting Pcm2 to 90+ makes a difference.
I've installed tons of games today (>1gb installed space!). So far all the games can play sound and music, but I can feel a little bit of delay.
xmms also plays sound through the headphone (but not the speaker), but the app runs so slowly (about 3 times slower than normal) that sound got seriously truncated.

Video performance:
I tried several games, such as Powermanga and Uqm. They play much slower in Debian than in pdaX.

Right-click:
Pressing the kanji key (to the right of Alt) and tap does give right click as desired, at least in the xfce4 panel.

Now I am beginning to feel some sluggishness in the system, especially the multimedia side. Perhaps it's because of the lack of floating point emulation and optimization of the ARM packages.

General feeling:
Then again most other non-multimedia packages run so well, perhaps even better than those in pdaX, such as Iceweasel and Evolution (the big big guys).

Multi-language input method, such as SCIM, UIM and GCIN, all work smoothly. I can enter CJK characters freely in most apps, including GTK and QT apps, and even in the terminal (using Nano, etc). IIRC they are all broken in the new versions of pdaX, and are not easy to fix and build.

I think I will continue to use Debian for now, because it fulfills my productivity needs without the hassles of building everything all on my own. smile.gif
urkden
Kernel an EABI are the big deal here.

I've exprienced a little with multimedia and experienced similar difficulties.

Maybe tweaking a bit the source kernel and recompiling helps enough to make the system beauty enough while waiting EABI debian to come.

Any news about which kernel source was used?
ZDevil
QUOTE(adf @ Sep 23 2007, 09:31 AM)
Along the lines of iceweasel being a good reason to run  debian, has anyone tired NVU/Kompozer?
and, Zdevil, have you tried kde?  3.5 is more useable on a cf in pdaxii13 than it was on the MD--I bet it would be useable in debian run from a CF.

Anyone try an NX client? (is there one for arm?)

sshfs?

I'd be willing to bet that pdaxii13 does video/audio playback way better, and very likely does better game emulation. Pdax, and especially pdaxii13 has a longer history of refinement on the Z--and the iwmmxt/bvd/audio enhancement stuff for the 2.4 kernel hasn't been matched by anything running 2.6 on the Z. 

The advantage of debian is that it is a Z (and apparently already a pretty good one) port of a big, well integrated, developed and maintained distro--arguably much more powerful from a systems stand point---that and some of the software (like the web browser) is newer

I have yet to try KDE, but i bet it's gonna be OK in Titchy.
Both sshfs and NX are very interesting possibilities. But I am not such a power user so I hope someone will test them.
I agree that those pdaX packages, especially those using sound and video, run smoother than in Debian (I know because I've packaged dozens of games for Beta3 before). I think overclocking and recompiling with optimization will help a lot here.
Still the completeness of the main system, documentation and the package system are definitely the dream features of a truly mature distro for the Z.
pdaX is very nice, but as I said before, its future is always not very certain to me and there remains a question of sustainability.
Debian/Z will get better and better and won't be more broken. Upgrading does not require building/configuring/tuning the whole thing from the ground up. It is just one simple apt-get command and won't (semi-)brick the Z.

QUOTE(adf @ Sep 23 2007, 11:31 AM)
I'm pretty sure the kernel isn't identifying my drive. I'm also pretty sure that it should (other kernels do- this one is a very inconvenient  anomaly), and that with an update or two it will.  Actually I kinda suspect that someone with more of a clue about Z kernels than I have will get curious about improving hardware support in the near future- this is too cool to leave with iffy sound, awkward rotation and a sideways mouse (and mis-Identifying a very common, cost effective card--the current price difference between ZDevel's card and mine is over $100 USD)

Some skilled hands have already started working on the Debian kernel. So there will be good news in the near future.
PIM stuff run so well already in Debian, and there are far more choices than in pdaX. Latest stuff such as QT4 and GCC4 are already available in the feeds. I may get my hand wet again when I feel comfortable enough with Debian.
adf
good news about interest in kernel development.

I don't know that you'd have to such a power user to want sshfs or NX-- being able to mount a remote directory from public wireless securely over sshfs seems like it would be just handy occasionally-- same with using NX; the compression in NX might make it possible to do work on a server/desktop at home over GPRS from about anywhere. How about this scenario- start a torrent on your home box while on the road someplace, pick up a couple media files from it at the hotel over wifi, securely?

Looking over /var/log/dmesg on pdaxii13, the line that seems to enable my cf card is:
Intel PXA250/210 PCMCIA (CS release 3.1.31)
pxa_pcmcia_init(0)
pxa_pcmcia_init(1)

there doesn't seem to be any need to identify it further in this sytem. in the debian system, cards seem to get identified and named before they are attached-- maybe it is a little too sensitive?
dlj0
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Sep 22 2007, 04:48 PM)

3) Save and reboot.
But I am not absolutely sure if it is because of the unpredictable behavior of the kernel module.
Can anyone confirm this?

There are two sets of modules that can be loaded for wifi cards, the hostap or the orinoco. If I have this right, older prism cards need the orinoco, and newer ones need the hostap. Mine, at least, needs the orinoco.
dlj0
QUOTE(tux @ Sep 23 2007, 04:57 PM)
As to the pimlico suite: dates seems ok, there is a repository if you look on the pimlico site. Contacts seems to want to load some evolution libraries. I decided not to bother for the moment.  unsure.gif

So I'll try the gpe stuff out for now. I was dubious because of the Opie/Angstrom connection. I admit to being prejudiced, but I have found those distros/projects to be a painful waste of time for me. sad.gif

Cheers!

I could not figure out how to properly syncronize files between machines using dates. The calandar data is buried deep within the .evolution/ tree (why??), and copying the files that have particular data on them sometimes works, and sometimes doesn't. I want to simply use sftp to update office and home from the Z.

gpe-calendar pissed me off by changing formats --- no way to migrate existing calendars to the new formats. Hello?
Meanie
QUOTE(dlj0 @ Sep 24 2007, 10:35 AM)
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Sep 22 2007, 04:48 PM)

3) Save and reboot.
Can anyone confirm this?

There are two sets of modules that can be loaded for wifi cards, the hostap or the orinoco. If I have this right, older prism cards need the orinoco, and newer ones need the hostap. Mine, at least, needs the orinoco.

This is correct, you only need one or the other depending on which wifi card you have. But the real problem is that there are some cards that have the exact same manfid, but some of those require the hostap module wheras others require the orinoco. The big problem is that both of these cards need to use different modules in order to work but have the exact same manfid and you just cannot preconfigure a correct blacklist to load the appropriate driver/prohibit loading the wrong driver since the manfid for some cards is just plain ridiculous ly conflicting sad.gif
Meanie
QUOTE(adf @ Sep 23 2007, 07:31 PM)

actually, other kernels (prior to 2.6.21) don't identify your drive at all. the kernel only needs to identify your card if it wants to boot off it. it can use and mount it fine otherwise. what you have seen before in pdaxrom is its the kernel knows nothing about your drive and does not even care because it boots off the nand and it knows about the nand. then your card is just mounted by the pcmcia sybsystem.
the oz 2.6 kernel (which the debian kernel is based on) boots off the microdrive instead of the nand, thus the microdrive's id has been compiled into the kernel so it knows about the microdrive and can boot off it. since you swapped your microdrive, it won't recognise it until the info for your card is also added to the kernel.
adf
QUOTE(Meanie @ Sep 23 2007, 04:52 PM)
QUOTE(adf @ Sep 23 2007, 07:31 PM)

actually, other kernels (prior to 2.6.21) don't identify your drive at all. the kernel only needs to identify your card if it wants to boot off it. it can use and mount it fine otherwise. what you have seen before in pdaxrom is its the kernel knows nothing about your drive and does not even care because it boots off the nand and it knows about the nand. then your card is just mounted by the pcmcia sybsystem.
the oz 2.6 kernel (which the debian kernel is based on) boots off the microdrive instead of the nand, thus the microdrive's id has been compiled into the kernel so it knows about the microdrive and can boot off it. since you swapped your microdrive, it won't recognise it until the info for your card is also added to the kernel.

then I should probably get the manfid--how would I go about that without pulling it out of the Z?
Chero
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Sep 23 2007, 10:01 PM)
QUOTE(Chero @ Sep 23 2007, 09:56 PM)
Hi,

Could you show me how to do that, even though I am no X-specialist? smile.gif

Just install uboot and flash pdaXrom.
Boot into pdaX, copy /lib/modules/2.6.16 to /mnt/ide/lib/modules/2.6.16
Reboot while pressing "2" boots into debian.
Reboot while pressing nothing boots into pdaXrom.

Chero.
ZDevil
Great, thanks, Chero.
But I will hold out for X because Debian is no fun at all without X ... laugh.gif
ZDevil
QUOTE(Chero @ Sep 24 2007, 07:24 AM)
Chero.

Finally I also gave uboot a whirl.
Same problem:
CODE
xinit: Connection refused (errno 111): unable to connect to X server
xinit: No such process (errno 3): Server error

... Besides I also noticed something very strange under /usr/X11R6/bin/X11/X11 and /usr/bin/X11/X11 : everything is linked to itself! blink.gif

I remember after installing uboot and pdaXrom r198, when booting into Debian I got a strange fsck error reporting filesystem inconsistencies.
Perhaps the system is messed up...
So I booted into pdaXrom r198 again and copy the kernel modules to a card.
Now doing a NAND backup and installing the whole thing again from the ground up.
Will try to use the pdaXrom kernel in Debian again and see how things go.
Chero
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Sep 25 2007, 03:29 PM)
QUOTE(Chero @ Sep 24 2007, 07:24 AM)
Chero.

Finally I also gave uboot a whirl.
Same problem:
CODE
xinit: Connection refused (errno 111): unable to connect to X server
xinit: No such process (errno 3): Server error

... Besides I also noticed something very strange under /usr/X11R6/bin/X11/X11 and /usr/bin/X11/X11 : everything is linked to itself! blink.gif

I remember after installing uboot and pdaXrom r198, when booting into Debian I got a strange fsck error reporting filesystem inconsistencies.
Perhaps the system is messed up...
So I booted into pdaXrom r198 again and copy the kernel modules to a card.
Now doing a NAND backup and installing the whole thing again from the ground up.
Will try to use the pdaXrom kernel in Debian again and see how things go.

X is started from /opt/kdrive in titchy.
jpmatrix
men,

i've just backuped up my working angstrom to install Titchy Linux on my C3000 !

work in progress here :
http://jpmatrix.livejournal.com/9376.html

first good news : my Asus WL110 CF WIFI card has been recognized out of the box!

[to be continued]
tux
cool.gif Am I totally off track here?

I have seen howtos for bulding ipks and howtos for building debs. Would it be possible to unpack an ipk and then take the files and build a deb package?

Assuming this could be done and there were the equivalent arm deb library packages would this be a shortcut to getting z apps up and running? unsure.gif

I know that there are qt libraries out there. smile.gif
Meanie
QUOTE(tux @ Sep 26 2007, 08:49 AM)

I have seen howtos for bulding ipks and howtos for building debs. Would it be possible to unpack an ipk and then take the files and build a deb package?

Assuming this could be done and there were the equivalent arm deb library packages would this be a shortcut to getting z apps up and running? unsure.gif

deb2ipk does that.

however, the current Debian arm feeds are based on glibc 2.3.x, whereas all SharpROM based distros are glibc 2.2.x including all pdaXrom based distros. This only leaves the OZ/A based distros. In theory, OZ could be mixed with Debian arm and Angstrom with Debian armel
tux
QUOTE(Meanie @ Sep 25 2007, 11:16 PM)
QUOTE(tux @ Sep 26 2007, 08:49 AM)

deb2ipk does that.

however, the current Debian arm feeds are based on glibc 2.3.x, whereas all SharpROM based distros are glibc 2.2.x including all pdaXrom based distros. This only leaves the OZ/A based distros. In theory, OZ could be mixed with Debian arm and Angstrom with Debian armel

cool.gif Thanks Meanie, so I'll have to bite the bullet and get the source code, compile on TitchyLinux and build the deb myself? sad.gif Oh well it's never to late too learn! biggrin.gif
TheWalt
*takes sl-c3100 out of drawer*

Glad I never got around to putting this up on Ebay.

*clicks next to start Titchy install*
Chero
QUOTE(Capn_Fish @ Sep 19 2007, 05:21 AM) *
OK, impressions. I get the impression that this is not normal:

-My SD card won't appear in /dev
-udev isn't installed

Can't do much else at this point. If somebody could post their install steps, it'd be appreciated. This looks really neat, but it is horribly broken for me sad.gif

I did a reinstall and had the same problem. (tried 3 times, don't know what went right during the first install and can't be repeated ???)
BTW : I used dhcp during the installation. dry.gif
Adding some drivers to /etc/modules solves most problems (SD, wifi, keymap, lan, bluetooth-usb, mouse).
Still figuring out what else I'm missing.
Could somebody post his /etc/modules and the output of "lsmod" over here ?

Chero.
Chero
QUOTE(Chero @ Oct 1 2007, 09:53 AM) *
QUOTE(Capn_Fish @ Sep 19 2007, 05:21 AM) *
OK, impressions. I get the impression that this is not normal:

-My SD card won't appear in /dev
-udev isn't installed

Can't do much else at this point. If somebody could post their install steps, it'd be appreciated. This looks really neat, but it is horribly broken for me sad.gif

I did a reinstall and had the same problem. (tried 3 times, don't know what went right during the first install and can't be repeated ???)
BTW : I used dhcp during the installation. dry.gif
Adding some drivers to /etc/modules solves most problems (SD, wifi, keymap, lan, bluetooth-usb, mouse).
Still figuring out what else I'm missing.
Could somebody post his /etc/modules and the output of "lsmod" over here ?

Chero.

Well, those suffering from this problem :

- change /etc/modules to load the following :
loop
zaurus

- install udev :
apt-get install udev

reboot.

All solved.
maximusz
Hello,
I tried Debian but could not get to full install with my SL-C3100- I only spent an hour or so playing around.
Is it possible to get someone to copy their hard drive and install it on my 3100 if the partitions are the same? I know the file might be large, but I would be willing to host it for other newbie members to download.
If not, any ideas on how much work it would take to get the install as seamless as the full PDAxii13?

.....oh yeah.... I would be willing to pay for a hard drive copy with instructions on how to install and/or to help make Titchy an easier install.
ZDevil
Actually installing Debian can be as easy as installing Cacko, pdaXrom (non-uboot versions) and Angstrom.

There is an alternative way to install the base system without using network connection (up to step 5).

*** The "10-step-self-help guide to enjoying a popular penguin" ***
[Please let me know if any of the step is not described accurately]
[Don't give up if things fail; you can always use the original method described in the Titchy Linux wiki http://wiki.neilandtheresa.co.uk/Titchy_Linux/Installing, although it requires network connection all the way through]

Just start from here: http://www.bigbridgezau.sakura.ne.jp/dev/debian/

#1 Preparation work:
A. Prepare the installer:
Download 4 things and copy them to the root of SD:
updater.sh
gnu-tar
zImage-2.6.17-cpufreq-fastfpe.bin OR zImage-2.6.20-cpufreq.bin (This is the kernel; rename it to zImange.bin)
hddrootfs.tar.gz (This is the base system and Etch; rename it to hdimage1.tgz)

B. Prepare the disk:
(This is not absolutely necessary, do it at your discretion)
To ensure a good clean install, you may want to reformat the whole disk into one big root partition first
Enter the [D]+[B] emergency mode (i.e. remove power sources, press [D] and [B], put back AC and battery, power on);
Reformat your microdrive/internal CF by fdisk /dev/hda;
Delete all partitions (d);
Add primary partition 1 (n);
Change the type of the partition (t): partition 1 is 83 (Linux);
Write to the partition table and sync the disk (w);
Now format the partition into Ext3 format: mke2fs -j /dev/hda1
Ready to proceed to #2

#2 Reboot the Z while pressing [OK] to enter the flash menu

#3 Just flash as usual by choosing "4" and then "SD" and then "Y"

#4 If things go well (they should), then kernel will flash and the big tarball will decompress to /dev/hda1. This may take an hour.

#5 Installation will complete itself and reboot the machine. Debian is ready to go! (default root login: root; root password: kuroadmin)

(From now on you will need network connection to update and upgrade the system)
#6 Set up your network profile in /etc/network/interfaces and /etc/resolv.conf, blacklist hostap if you are using Ambicom WL1100C (for details see this post: http://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?act=fi...&pid=168621 ).
You can then do the postinstallation steps as descibed in "After installation" in the titchy linux wiki: http://wiki.neilandtheresa.co.uk/Titchy_Linux/Installing

#7 To upgrade from Etch ("stable" but a bit dated) and Lenny ("testing" and the new stuff), change "etch" to "lenny" in /etc/apt/sources.list

#8 apt-get update

#9 apt-get dist-upgrade

#10 Wow!

Plus two desserts:

#11 If you fancy playing with over/underclocking, grab the dvfm binary (not the armel.zip) from the japanese link above.

#12 If you feel like trying different (Angstrom) kernels, three versions are available: 2.6.17-fastfpe-cpufreq, 2.6.20-cpufreq, 2.6.22-cpufreq.
Remember to use the same updater.sh from the download location of the kernel!
More discussion this way: http://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=24815.
And be CAREFUL: do NOT flash the kernel with the big installation tarball, because your disk may get reformatted and wiped clean and overwritten with a clean install!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.