Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Debian On C3xxx (merged Topics)
OESF Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Distro Support and Discussion > Debian
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
tux
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Oct 4 2007, 09:25 AM) *
Actually installing Debian can be as easy as installing Cacko, pdaXrom (non-uboot versions) and Angstrom.

There is an alternative way to install it without using networking.

*** The "10-step-self-help guide to enjoying a popular penguin" ***

Just start from here:

#1 Download 4 things and copy them to the root of SD:
updater.sh
gnu-tar
zImage-2.6.17-cpufreq-fastfpe.bin OR zImage-2.6.20-cpufreq.bin (This is the kernel; rename it to zImange.bin)
hddrootfs.tar.gz (This is the base system and Etch; rename it to hdimage1.tgz)

Snipped...

#4 If things go well (they should), then kernel will flash and the big tarball will decompress to /dev/hda1. This may take an hour.

#5 Installation will complete itself and reboot the machine. Debian is ready to go!

#6 You can then do the postinstallation steps as descibed in "After installation" in the titchy linux wiki: http://wiki.neilandtheresa.co.uk/Titchy_Linux/Installing

Snipped...

cool.gif I'm feeling very dim this morning, so please excuse me if my questions have already been answered elsewhere in the threads. biggrin.gif

gnu-tar:- where from, what is it? (I don't think they sent me the memo! sad.gif ) (I suspect I'm being really dim on this one!)unsure.gif

zImage files:- the one from the TitchyLinux? Is it in your list? If so, which one? If not, will it work with the corresponding updater.sh?

hddrootfs.tar.gz (This is the base system and Etch; rename it to hdimage1.tgz). Where do you recommend we get this from?

Last question, rolleyes.gif , do we need to partition our drive beforehand, does it use the partitions it finds or does this process partition it for us?

(I cheated, that was three last questions! laugh.gif )

I think your post and the answers to the questions would make a good base for a Wiki page. Do you want to write it yourself or would you prefer to let me start it off? smile.gif

Cheers for yet another interesting and helpful post. biggrin.gif
ZDevil
Oops. Sorry, I left out the URL. It's there now. smile.gif
tux
cool.gif My brain cells have started talking to each other again! rolleyes.gif

There is a Japanese web site called Big Box. Here is a link to their TitchyLinux (Big Box Titchy pages.

(ZDevil has just put in a link to the Debian section of the site while I was typing this!) Thanks ZDevil. biggrin.gif

All the files in ZDevils post are available here. biggrin.gif

So I only need the answers to these questions:

zImage files:- the one from the TitchyLinux? Is it in your list? If so, which one? If not, will it work with the corresponding updater.sh?

Last question, rolleyes.gif , do we need to partition our drive beforehand, does it use the partitions it finds or does this process partition it for us?

I'm going to try this tonight! Which should give me the answers to some of them! smile.gif

Cheers cool.gif
ZDevil
@tux
You don't need the installation files from the titchy wiki, except perhaps the zaurus-hardware-support. The files in BigBridgeZauWiki are a complete set.

Perhaps a repartition (into one big root partition) is needed for a clean install. Last time I tried this method but found the original swap partition (/dev/hda5) done under titchy got ignored and cannot be mounted. The device node is simply missing.
ZDevil
QUOTE(tux @ Oct 4 2007, 12:42 PM) *
I think your post and the answers to the questions would make a good base for a Wiki page. Do you want to write it yourself or would you prefer to let me start it off? Cheers for yet another interesting and helpful post. biggrin.gif

Perhaps we better test this before posting in the wiki to avoid confusing the enthusiastic beginners.
tux
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Oct 4 2007, 12:10 PM) *
QUOTE(tux @ Oct 4 2007, 12:42 PM) *
I think your post and the answers to the questions would make a good base for a Wiki page. Do you want to write it yourself or would you prefer to let me start it off? Cheers for yet another interesting and helpful post. biggrin.gif

Perhaps we better test this before posting in the wiki to avoid confusing the enthusiastic beginners.

cool.gif Quite right! biggrin.gif I'm testing at this moment. Just putting the files on a 128MB SD card, freshly formatted to Fat 16. smile.gif I'll scribble notes as I go. rolleyes.gif

Maybe adf could try this method and see if his 16GB microdrive is recognised? unsure.gif I'm very tempted to invest in a SanDisk one and set that up. blink.gif

Am I correct in assuming that this could be done from a CF card? biggrin.gif

Later...
ZDevil
I've just updated Post #200. Please test. I've installed twice with this method and it worked.
ZDevil
BTW I've made a little poor slideshow specially for installing Debian using titchy's method:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50659119@N00/...157702606/show/

Click on the pictures and you'll see the descriptions.
DavidFong
I found this method a much easier way to install Debian on my Zaurus 3200, thanks for the info ZDevil!

Other than wishing my Zaurus had 128, rather than 64, megabytes of RAM, I am a little concerned
that the bigbridgezau.sakura hard-disk image has not swap-space at all. After having spent a lot of time
downloading the base-system/XFCE and upgrading to lenny, is there any way to shrink the root partition
to create some swap space?

Oh, and I too am looking for a light-weight i.e. fast-loading, organizer/datebook/addressbook which will import my KO/PI
entries.

Cheerio, David.

QUOTE(ZDevil @ Oct 4 2007, 12:25 AM) *
Actually installing Debian can be as easy as installing Cacko, pdaXrom (non-uboot versions) and Angstrom.

There is an alternative way to install the base system without using network connection (up to step 5).

*** The "10-step-self-help guide to enjoying a popular penguin" ***
[Please let me know if any of the step is not described accurately]
[Don't give up if things fail; you can always use the original method described in the Titchy Linux wiki http://wiki.neilandtheresa.co.uk/Titchy_Linux/Installing, although it requires network connection all the way through]

Just start from here: http://www.bigbridgezau.sakura.ne.jp/dev/debian/

ZDevil
QUOTE(DavidFong @ Oct 6 2007, 03:55 PM) *
I found this method a much easier way to install Debian on my Zaurus 3200, thanks for the info ZDevil!

Other than wishing my Zaurus had 128, rather than 64, megabytes of RAM, I am a little concerned
that the bigbridgezau.sakura hard-disk image has not swap-space at all. After having spent a lot of time
downloading the base-system/XFCE and upgrading to lenny, is there any way to shrink the root partition
to create some swap space?

Oh, and I too am looking for a light-weight i.e. fast-loading, organizer/datebook/addressbook which will import my KO/PI
entries.

Cheerio, David.

That's what I seem to see: the simple method doesn't create a swap partition for you.
But a swapfile will just do the job. And that's not a big deal at all if you are using microdrive, although some users may worry about wearing issue of internal compact flash. But i suppose it's much easier to talk about this in theory than to actually see it in real life. And the prices of memory cards just keep diving. So who cares? wink.gif
tux
cool.gif I thought this might be a sensible place to post a copy of a message Neil put on his site:

All,

I've made a couple of updates to the wiki, including some of the tips you've shared here. But I have less and less time to work on this...

Titchy is a very small project (just a kernel, an X server and some default XFCE4 settings, really). Hopefully someone else can take what I've started and run with it.
2007-10-11 15:57:20

END QUOTE

If there is anyone who might be able to offer any help, perhaps they should contact Neil and see what might be done?

Also, there is a file for download there called linux-2.6.20.tar.gz, Titchy Sources , which might be of value. It is 50+ MB in size, so I shan't attempt to upload it. It appears to be the kernel source that people were asking for.
RX Shorty
Looks pretty sweet this OS!
A pitty it isn't working on the SL6000 series sad.gif
Chero
QUOTE(RX Shorty @ Oct 12 2007, 11:52 AM) *
Looks pretty sweet this OS!
A pitty it isn't working on the SL6000 series sad.gif

Is Angstrom working ?
If yes, then it should be possible !
RX Shorty
QUOTE(Chero @ Oct 12 2007, 01:38 PM) *
Is Angstrom working ?

I don't know, if so it would be nice.
Then again, I don't think the Wifi hardware is allready supported, so have to compile that for it...

Can somebody give some info about the Angstrom?
Thanks laugh.gif

jpmatrix
QUOTE(RX Shorty @ Oct 12 2007, 01:46 PM) *
QUOTE(Chero @ Oct 12 2007, 01:38 PM) *
Is Angstrom working ?

I don't know, if so it would be nice.
Then again, I don't think the Wifi hardware is allready supported, so have to compile that for it...

Can somebody give some info about the Angstrom?
Thanks laugh.gif

have a look on www.angstrom-distribution.org and read :

Supported Zaurus Machines
Posted October 7th, 2007 by XorA
in Zaurus
Just so there is no confusion for people switching from from OpenZaurus there are currently only three Zaurus machines that have active support within Ångström.

These machines are supported: c7x0, spitz (C3X00), poodle (5600).

These machines are not supported: tosa (6000), collie (5500), akita (1000).

We will continue to produce images for the unsupported machines but fixes to them are likely to be slow in being worked on without active developer working on them.
Chero
QUOTE(jpmatrix @ Oct 12 2007, 05:20 PM) *
... These machines are not supported: tosa (6000), collie (5500), akita (1000).

We will continue to produce images for the unsupported machines but fixes to them are likely to be slow in being worked on without active developer working on them.

Ok, but still I'm dual-booting Angstrom - Titchy on my C1000. huh.gif blink.gif
I haven't got a 6000 to test, anyone else ?
tux
QUOTE(Chero @ Oct 12 2007, 04:37 PM) *
QUOTE(jpmatrix @ Oct 12 2007, 05:20 PM) *
... These machines are not supported: tosa (6000), collie (5500), akita (1000).

Ok, but still I'm dual-booting Angstrom - Titchy on my C1000. huh.gif blink.gif
I haven't got a 6000 to test, anyone else ?

cool.gif I do have a 6000 to test but I use that as my working pim/pda (600+ contacts!). I'm also busy on the wiki and you'll probably recall that I still haven't managed to use the 'ZDevil' alternative install on my 3200 yet, nor get sound working!! So any testing on my 6000 is likely to be some fairly distant time in the future smile.gif

However, am I right in thinking that a large SD card is needed? Would a 4GB one be ok? The first step is to install angstrom: is that correct? Then, install altboot and with an SD card I've prepared earlier, I take a relaxed belly-flop into Titchy? rolleyes.gif

With an angstrom installation in the mix I think I'll wait for the promised detailed installation instructions. blink.gif

Cheers
adf
To refer back to an earlier discussion, ZDevi'ls 10-step method did NOt work using the A-Data 16G cf. Looks like the same deal--kernel can't Id the card and panics
ZDevil
Sorry to hear that... sad.gif
But, adf, I am really curious to know one thing: smile.gif Can you verify if you can run Angstrom off the A-Data CF? If yes then it should be a Debian issue; if not, then it would be an Angstrom kernel issue (because we are using the Angstrom kernel to run Debian).
adf
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Oct 21 2007, 01:06 AM) *
But, adf, I am really curious to know one thing: smile.gif Can you verify if you can run Angstrom off the A-Data CF? If yes then it should be a Debian issue; if not, then it would be an Angstrom kernel issue (because we are using the Angstrom kernel to run Debian).

I would guess not-- will check soon.
I was using the 2.6.17-- do you think a newer kernel would fare better?
ZDevil
If that's an Angstrom issue, then you may want to ask in the Angstrom mailing list, because the Angstrom dev don't like their users asking questions in this forum ... tongue.gif
T3_slider
QUOTE(ZDevil)
Angstrom dev don't like their users asking questions in this forum

Where did you get an idea like that? wink.gif
adf
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Oct 21 2007, 01:14 AM) *
If that's an Angstrom issue, then you may want to ask in the Angstrom mailing list, because the Angstrom dev don't like their users asking questions in this forum ... tongue.gif

Yeah, I really don't think I'll get much enthusiasm for "I'm using non-stadard hardware to run 'NOT YOUR OS,' but would like to check on some kernel tweaks to make my life easier..." I think I see something 2.4 based in my near future smile.gif

ANd as of my last (some time ago, really) attempt to make OE believe that my 3100 was a 1000 and use the sd card...well..it wasn't happening. If it is know that the SD method can be used by a 3x00, that might be workable. I would guess not, though
golly
QUOTE(adf @ Oct 21 2007, 05:11 AM) *
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Oct 21 2007, 01:06 AM) *

I would guess not-- will check soon.
I was using the 2.6.17-- do you think a newer kernel would fare better?

adf - If you want to know where to look for adding your card's MANFID into the kernel, see Marcin's patch for ide-cs submitted last year:
http://uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0609.3/0393.html
Meanie
QUOTE(adf @ Oct 22 2007, 04:51 AM) *
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Oct 21 2007, 01:14 AM) *

Yeah, I really don't think I'll get much enthusiasm for "I'm using non-stadard hardware to run 'NOT YOUR OS,' but would like to check on some kernel tweaks to make my life easier..." I think I see something 2.4 based in my near future smile.gif

ANd as of my last (some time ago, really) attempt to make OE believe that my 3100 was a 1000 and use the sd card...well..it wasn't happening. If it is know that the SD method can be used by a 3x00, that might be workable. I would guess not, though

It not all Angstrom developers, just one of them, notably the most noisy and pushy one and he just does not like THIS forum. He never complains on the other forums when people asks questions about Angstrom or any of his babies...

As for c1000 vs c3x00, they treat akita differently than the other c3x00 which is different from all the other distros which treat c3000 differently! until very recently for example, the pxa overlay support was only available for the spitz kernel, but not akita even though both have the same internal display hardware... booting off the SD requires the sd module stuff to be compiled into the kernel and not as a separate module. in spitz, it is a separate module, but in akita, some kernels had it compiled into the kernel to allow it to boot from the SD.

zogs
some problem with update and wifi (rmmod hostap && rmmod hostap_cs) but all run well.

I have translate http://wiki.neilandtheresa.co.uk/Titchy_Linux/Installing
in italian : Debian-Zaurus.pdf

edit: ..i try with debian+kde
gojira
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Sep 24 2007, 07:22 AM) *
Multi-language input method, such as SCIM, UIM and GCIN, all work smoothly. I can enter CJK characters freely in most apps, including GTK and QT apps, and even in the terminal (using Nano, etc). IIRC they are all broken in the new versions of pdaX, and are not easy to fix and build.

what did you need to do to get those to work? is there anything that'll recognise hand-written characters like the qpe crim does?

thanks!
ArchiMark
Just tried Titchy install on my new 3200....

Finally managed to get ethernet network connection working I think...

Now, I'm having problem with hard drive part of install....

When it does the step 'Detect Disks and other Hardware' it gives me a screen that says

CODE
No disks detected. If you know the name of the driver needed by your disk drive , you can select it from the list.

Then it has a big list to choose from.... besides many specific items, it includes:

- Continue without disk
- Generic
- None of the above

I've tried using each of the above, but each time I get more error messages later, regarding install to unclean disk, if I say go ahead anyway, it fails, and I if I say No, it takes me back to installer...

In installer screen, I don't get the choice under Detect Disks to Format Drive, etc....

Any suggestions before I give up on Titchy????

Thanks!

Mark

ZDevil
Does your "new" 3200 come with the factory microdrive or a replacement CF (which brand)?
This is how I installed Titchy: http://www.flickr.com/photos/50659119@N00/...157702606/show/ (click on the slides for more explanation).
Or you can try out the faster EABI: http://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=25029 (first post)
ArchiMark
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Mar 20 2008, 11:03 AM) *
Does your "new" 3200 come with the factory microdrive or a replacement CF (which brand)?
This is how I installed Titchy: http://www.flickr.com/photos/50659119@N00/...157702606/show/ (click on the slides for more explanation).
Or you can try out the faster EABI: http://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=25029 (first post)

Thanks for your help, ZDevil...

I assume that it came with factory microdrive as I haven't changed drive...

Meanwhile, I decided to try the alternative install "The "10-Step-Self-Help Guide to Enjoying a Popular Penguin" in this post using the other files listed there....

Downloaded those files and renamed them as instructed and put them on my 1GB SD card

Did Step B 'Prepare the Disk'

Then did Step 2 & 3, Flashing....

Here's what happens:

CODE
Zaurus SD Updater.....
Finish!
Rebooting....
*Then lots of text.....
*Then the last few lines are:
VFS: Mounted root (ext3 filesystem)
Freeing init memory: 80k
Warning: unable to open an initial console
Kernel panic - not syncing: Try passing init=option to kernel

Now what?????

Or should I just give up and try 'the faster EABI' you mention????

Thanks!

Mark
ZDevil
That ten step guide is obelete. Actually the easiest way is to flash an EABI kernel (yonggun/poky/angstrom) using Sharp bootloader (so no uboot) and then install the rootfs tarball.
Instead of using the kernel(s) as described in that post, use this newer one:
http://yonggun.tistory.com/66 (zImage.bin.hda1, rename to zImage.bin and flash in the [OK] flash menu.)
(will update that post soon...)
ArchiMark
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Mar 20 2008, 11:44 AM) *
That ten step guide is obelete. Actually the easiest way is to flash an EABI kernel (yonggun/poky/angstrom) using Sharp bootloader (so no uboot) and then install the rootfs tarball.
http://yonggun.tistory.com/66 (zImage.bin.hda1, rename to zImage.bin and flash in the [OK] flash menu.)

Thanks for your help, ZDevil....will try what you suggest....already did the HD format though from the instructions...hope that's OK.....

Will be great if you can update that post as you mention to us noobs....

smile.gif
ArchiMark
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Mar 20 2008, 11:44 AM) *

In the meantime, tried to flash with yonggun kernel; 'zImage.bin.hda1' renamed to zImage.bin....but still get same error message as I noted in earlier post:

CODE
Warning: unable to open initial console.
kernel panic - not syncing: no init found. Try passing init=option to kernel.

So, wondering doe this have anything to do with:

A) doing Step 1 of 10 Step install instructions on my internal microdrive; partitioned into 2 partitions. Did this per Step B Preparing the Disk of the Alternative Install approach described earlier in this thread...

and/or

cool.gif having the right files on my SD card?

I have the kernel file 'zImage.bin' as described above and the 'updater.sh' file from the Titchy install files..

Do I need to reset my Z back to original factory condition???

Appreciate any and all help!!! I'm stuck now....

blink.gif
ZDevil
Try these:

#1 Use the updater.sh from Angstrom to flash the kernel again: http://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?act=at...ost&id=5291

#2 If it's the same initial console error, try rebooting once; if no luck, do this:
boot into the linux emergency mode ([D+B] mode)
cd /mnt/cf/dev
MAKEDEV console
reboot
ArchiMark
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Mar 20 2008, 09:31 PM) *
Try these:

#1 Use the updater.sh from Angstrom to flash the kernel again: http://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?act=at...ost&id=5291

#2 If it's the same initial console error, try rebooting once; if no luck, do this:
boot into the linux emergency mode ([D+B] mode)
cd /mnt/cf/dev
MAKEDEV console
reboot

Thanks for your help.... I need it!!

Tried #1 and still same error....

Tried rebooting once and no luck...

Tried #2 and get the following error, have just shown 4 lines out of many similar lines, just number changes:

CODE
mknod: vcs54-: operation not permitted
mknod: vcsa54-: operation not permitted
mknod: tty55-: operation not permitted
mknod: vcs55-: operation not permitted

Any other suggestions??

THANKS!
ZDevil
Did you mount the CF first (e.g. mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/cf ) before MAKEDEV?

Some users have reported that booting may continue after waiting a while at the error...
ArchiMark
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Mar 21 2008, 08:54 AM) *
Did you mount the CF first (e.g. mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/cf ) before MAKEDEV?

Thought it was mounted....

But just tried doing this again and doing mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/cf before MAKEDEV....still same error message....

Some users have reported that booting may continue after waiting a while at the error...

rebooted after getting error message above...get same error messages as before:

CODE

Warning: unable to open initial console.
kernel panic - not syncing: no init found. Try passing init=option to kernel.

I can wait awhile, but I thought when you get a kernel panic message you've crashed???

Also, just to be clear I'm trying to install kernel before install of rootfs tarball per alternate instructions....original instructions say to install tarball first....

Suggestions???

Thanks!

PS. Also, you don't think I need to reset my 3200 back to original factory state??
ZDevil
Yep. You have the disk with the rootfs ready first (extract them to a CF card if you are using a ready made rootfs tarball) and then the kernel.

Returning to the factory state (NAND restore) is not such a big deal; i've done it over a few dozen times on my Zs...
ArchiMark
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Mar 21 2008, 10:03 AM) *
Yep. You have the disk with the rootfs ready first (extract them to a CF card if you are using a ready made rootfs tarball) and then the kernel.

OK, will try that....and I need to partition CF card first, right?

Returning to the factory state (NAND restore) is not such a big deal; i've done it over a few dozen times on my Zs...

Yes, I've done it before when I had a Z in the past...but haven't had a Z in a year until this week....my question though was whether or not you think I should restore my microdrive partitions to factory state before installing kernel?

One reason for asking this question is whether the fact that I repartition my microdrive to 2 partitions per the instructions is causing install problem?

Second reason for asking is whether it's necessary for install or after install condition?

Also, I'd like to have Debian running off of microdrive and not depent upon having SD or CF card inserted in Z...in other words can everything run offo of internal drive or does this Debian setup depend upon having a storage card inserted?

Thanks!

Mark
ZDevil
QUOTE(ArchiMark @ Mar 21 2008, 06:19 PM) *
Yes, I've done it before when I had a Z in the past...but haven't had a Z in a year until this week....my question though was whether or not you think I should restore my microdrive partitions to factory state before installing kernel?

Nope.

One reason for asking this question is whether the fact that I repartition my microdrive to 2 partitions per the instructions is causing install problem?

It's recommended (i.e. one big root partition and one swap partition), if you want Debian to run smoothly off the internal disk without any card. But things are fine as long as you put things right in Step 3 (editing /etc/fstab)

Second reason for asking is whether it's necessary for install or after install condition?

Dun get it. tongue.gif

Also, I'd like to have Debian running off of microdrive and not depent upon having SD or CF card inserted in Z...in other words can everything run offo of internal drive or does this Debian setup depend upon having a storage card inserted?

Nope.
ArchiMark
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Mar 21 2008, 11:14 AM) *
Dun get it. tongue.gif

I just wanted to clarify whether or not you are required to repartition the internal drive if you want to run Debian off of it....

Also, I'd like to have Debian running off of microdrive and not depend upon having SD or CF card inserted in Z...in other words can everything run off of internal drive or does this Debian setup depend upon having a storage card inserted?
Nope.

Not clear....do you mean that you can run off of internal drive only or do you need a card even if you installed Debian to internal drive???

Thanks again for all your help.

Mark
ArchiMark
OK, when all else fails, start over fresh.....

Got new 512MB SD card....

Redownloaded Titchy files....

Reformatted HD...

Titchy installer works much better now....only issue seems to be with connecting to mirror step....

Have tried it with ethernet card and now I'm trying with WiFi card....

In the console window, I see that it's trying to connect with debian mirrors, does DEBUG wget for each; etch, unstable, testing, etc...

But in installer I just see 0% for progress.....

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

mark
Capn_Fish
Do you get to set your DNS stuff during setup? Setting my DNS to 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 seems to help my name resolution.
Chero
QUOTE(Capn_Fish @ Mar 22 2008, 04:48 AM) *
Do you get to set your DNS stuff during setup? Setting my DNS to 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 seems to help my name resolution.

If I remember correctly, there is a way to go to console and manually install packages ?
During my Titchy install I manually installed wireless tools and the needed lib as well as dhcpcd cause I don't have fixed ip-s.
Then I coennected through command line (the installer can't use dhcp), after that the install process was just fine.
I guess I used the netinstall iso to be able to do this. But even then the installer could not use dhcp, using it from command line was fine.

Chero
ArchiMark
QUOTE(Capn_Fish @ Mar 21 2008, 08:48 PM) *

Yes, Capn, did that... I got all my network info from a page that I printed out from my DSL Modem/Ethernet/WiFi Router....

The only thing is that there's the IP address (66.245.8.115) shown under the heading Connection Information (DSL modem?). Under that it has the Default Gateway number and the DNS numbers.

Then there's another set of numbers under the heading Local Network (192.168.1.1) and then under that it says DHCP range (192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.254).

So, I entered the first numbers I listed above....should I use the local network numbers?

Also, is it better to use my Socket ethernet card or use my Ambicom wifi card or makes no difference?

tux
QUOTE(ArchiMark @ Mar 22 2008, 02:46 PM) *
QUOTE(Capn_Fish @ Mar 21 2008, 08:48 PM) *

Yes, Capn, did that... I got all my network info from a page that I printed out from my DSL Modem/Ethernet/WiFi Router....

The only thing is that there's the IP address (66.245.8.115) shown under the heading Connection Information (DSL modem?). Under that it has the Default Gateway number and the DNS numbers.

Then there's another set of numbers under the heading Local Network (192.168.1.1) and then under that it says DHCP range (192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.254).

So, I entered the first numbers I listed above....should I use the local network numbers?

Also, is it better to use my Socket ethernet card or use my Ambicom wifi card or makes no difference?

cool.gif In answer to one of your previous questions: you only need the SD card and files for the install until you have completed the steps on the TitchyLinux site.

As regards the networking: I have installed using my socket ethernet card, my usb ethernet stick and with my wifi cards. All worked satisfactorily. However, I think it is better to install using Wifi because I use wifi more than the other options in day to day use. So installing with wifi left my networking set up for daily use without having to do much editing of config files.

With regard to the requested/needed IPaddress during installation: You need to pick an unused address from the 192.168.1.2 ... 192.168.1.254 range. Then you only need to worry about correct typing of your WEP key. You don't need to worry about setting up DNS, the default settings should just work.

Tips: one of the first things I do before trying to get the gui going is to install dh3client and openssh-server. Later on I edit the ifaces file so that the Z can use dhcp. The openssh-server is very useful for logging in to a terminal session on the Z. If, as you will, your gui system plays upit is much easier to sort the problems from SSH. Trust me on this!!!

You should also set the date and time and use hwclock to set the hardware clock at an early stage. Otherwise you will be frustrated and annoyed by having to change your password at login time: this makes the gui unusable. biggrin.gif

This thread answers most of the problems of installing TitchyLinux. If you read my posts in it I think you'll find every possible mistake it is possible to make!

Have a good time with your new Z and the Titcylinux variant of Debian. Stay well away from the armel/Eabi version untilyou are fluent in the Titchy/Oabi version that you are trying. You'll see from my sig that I have retreated back to TitchyLinux. rolleyes.gif

Cheers

ArchiMark
QUOTE(Chero @ Mar 22 2008, 01:00 AM) *
If I remember correctly, there is a way to go to console and manually install packages ?
During my Titchy install I manually installed wireless tools and the needed lib as well as dhcpcd cause I don't have fixed ip-s.
Then I coennected through command line (the installer can't use dhcp), after that the install process was just fine.
I guess I used the netinstall iso to be able to do this. But even then the installer could not use dhcp, using it from command line was fine.

Chero

Yes, Chero, you can get to console (alt + right arrow keys)....

Trying again now, using some of the Local Network numbers in my previous post along with others from the Connection Info section...

Yep, that did it!!!!!!

Downloaded files now on my Z from mirror!

Install completed OK, rebooted....

But no having problem logging in....

I type in login name and then password. but then it says I have to change password and asks for my (current) UNIX password. What do I use for that?

Have tried different passwords, but each time get failure message....

Any suggestions????

Thanks,

Mark

Thanks

tongue.gif

ArchiMark
QUOTE(tux @ Mar 22 2008, 08:56 AM) *
cool.gif In answer to one of your previous questions: you only need the SD card and files for the install until you have completed the steps on the TitchyLinux site.

As regards the networking: I have installed using my socket ethernet card, my usb ethernet stick and with my wifi cards. All worked satisfactorily. However, I think it is better to install using Wifi because I use wifi more than the other options in day to day use. So installing with wifi left my networking set up for daily use without having to do much editing of config files.

With regard to the requested/needed IPaddress during installation: You need to pick an unused address from the 192.168.1.2 ... 192.168.1.254 range. Then you only need to worry about correct typing of your WEP key. You don't need to worry about setting up DNS, the default settings should just work.

Tips: one of the first things I do before trying to get the gui going is to install dh3client and openssh-server. Later on I edit the ifaces file so that the Z can use dhcp. The openssh-server is very useful for logging in to a terminal session on the Z. If, as you will, your gui system plays upit is much easier to sort the problems from SSH. Trust me on this!!!

You should also set the date and time and use hwclock to set the hardware clock at an early stage. Otherwise you will be frustrated and annoyed by having to change your password at login time: this makes the gui unusable. biggrin.gif

This thread answers most of the problems of installing TitchyLinux. If you read my posts in it I think you'll find every possible mistake it is possible to make!

Have a good time with your new Z and the Titcylinux variant of Debian. Stay well away from the armel/Eabi version untilyou are fluent in the Titchy/Oabi version that you are trying. You'll see from my sig that I have retreated back to TitchyLinux. rolleyes.gif

Cheers

Wow, thanks for your input, tux. This is great, just wish I had read it before my post a minute ago....

Now, I have login problem you refer to....how can I fix that now???

UPDATE: Managed to finally login!!!

But now, having problem getting wifi card running again...did the steps that Titchy instructions have for doing this but so far no go....in ifconfig -a, just see lo, not eth0, etc....

Any suggestions as to getting wifi card running OK again???

UPDATE 2: Got wifi card running again and have just downloaded files to setup desktop...it's unpacking them know....

**** UPDATE 3 ****

Having problems with XDM and login....have tried and tried., but no go...help!

*** UPDATE 4 ****

Finally got logged in and to Titchy Desktop! WooHoo!!!!!!

Hmm.. .found this page should help....

OESF Thread

Thanks,

Mark
speculatrix
Hi,
please can anyone give a quick summary of the state of the art of Debian on the C3x00 devices?

What kernel version, what browser(s), what email clients are working, whether it supports hostap on prism, usb master & slave, bluetooth features, and if suspend/resume work reliably?!

I'm looking for a new distro now I've had a play with Android and not sure about returning to Angstrom; so I'd like to consider dual-booting Cacko with Debian.

thanks very much
Paul
ZDevil
Current state: 2 flavors: OABI (arm) and EABI (armel)
Both work. The OABI version suffers a bit from slower speed, and sound output is an issue. The EABI version runs faster and is the way to go (debian official support is now migrating from arm to armel). Video playback on the Z has yet to be solved, but it is a kernel issue (like bvdd support is lacking in the current 2.6.xx kernels).

Kernel choices: yonggun, angstrom, poky. All reported to be working!

General remark on running debian on the Z (C3x00): Runs just great on the internal disk. Full repos and documentations, and standard official support & development: priceless.

Good browsers: dillo-18n, icehamster (mod minimo), kazekahaze, epiphany. (Iceweasel is still underway)

Email clients: Sylpheed (& friends) and Thunderbird should be the best. Evolution installs and runs, but too much (size, speed, and also display size).

Hostap: the default driver

USB: host -- works great (boosting power output needs a tweak); client -- not tested yet (I use wifi all the time)

Bluetooth: will test soon (just got both a Socket bluetooth CF and a super mini USB bluetooth dongle). There are reports of success here.

Suspend/resume: just works. Suspend takes ~2 seconds, resume ~ 1 sec. not bad.

QUOTE(speculatrix @ Mar 23 2008, 04:42 PM) *
I'm looking for a new distro now I've had a play with Android and not sure about returning to Angstrom; so I'd like to consider dual-booting Cacko with Debian.

Same here. Really looking forward to new yonggun kernels support booting from /dev/hda3 and /dev/hda4! tongue.gif Then I will revert the NAND space back to full Cacko and dualboot with kexec.

Perhaps you may try to install an EABI rootfs on a SD and see how it fares. It's a bit slower than running on a fast CF but it's still big fun.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.