Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: subway maps
OESF Forums > Everything Else > Regional User Groups > North America East > NYC
luisico
Anyone interested in creating the NYC subway maps for the U-Bahn Navigator (see http://www.ubahnstation.net/projects/ubahnnav/)?
I have already started, but as you can imagine is quite a work!
See you in the forums,
best,
luis
JP_Lewis
luisico,

The Link is dead.
jdf
Link works fine for me!
ashikase
If anyone is really interested in this, has some free time, and is slightly crazy, they should try converting the data from the Palm OS program Metro: http://nanika.net/Metro/

Metro has subway data for a _lot_ of cities. It looks like each city is stored as a separate .pdb file. Beyond that, I have no clue about the file format.

Any takers? I'm currently busy with my own Kanji project, or I would toy with it myself.

- ashikase
anpachi, gifu, japan
luisico
Ashikase, I just took a look at Metro and it seems a great project, althought its data is protected in the license. The pdb files seem to be compressed or encrypted or just binary, but not straightforward and illegal to copy. I also tried their web interface and although I liked the idea itself, it returns you a path given the start and end points. I like better the graphical interface of the U-Bahn Navigator.

By the way, the link still works for me.

Best,

lusico
sylvius
Wow, that looks like a really nice package. I am going to start working on NYC in my not too copious spare time.

I used metro when I had a PPC and palm and it was pretty nice, but I never read the license. It's pretty disappointing that they won't work on a Z version nor will they facilitate anyone doing it.

At any rate, I doubt even NYC's huge subway network will take more than a few (8-10?) hours to input (unless I really misread the website about how to make new maps).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.