Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A Clean, Fresh, Configured Eabi Rootfs Tarball
OESF Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Distro Support and Discussion > Debian
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
jpmatrix
QUOTE(kkazakov13 @ Dec 4 2007, 08:02 PM) *
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Dec 4 2007, 09:00 PM) *
The thing is, I extracted the tarball twice (for testing) on my Zaurus after creating the checksum... tongue.gif

Then md5sum is telling wrong smile.gif please check on your zaurus and check against md5sum ...

in the same time, i'm trying to extract it on my zaurus too... i'll let you know
ZDevil
The thing is, I extracted the tarball twice (for testing) on my Zaurus after creating the checksum... tongue.gif

Then md5sum is telling wrong smile.gif please check on your zaurus and check against md5sum ...

I've just done a md5sum with my local copy (not the one in the ftp). Same as what I did on my Mac. And I got it extracted and booted this morning on my C860 ...
jpmatrix
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Dec 4 2007, 08:13 PM) *

I've just done a md5sum with my local copy (not the one in the ftp). Same as what I did on my Mac. And I got it extracted and booted this morning on my C860 ...

men, this is a total mystery ! or a time shifting failure smile.gif
i get this only error when untaring :

tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
jpmatrix
here is my checksum on my window$ machine :

D:\warez\zaurus\debian\uploads>c:\Win32App\fciv.exe zaurus_eabi_rootfs_071201.ta
r.bz2
//
// File Checksum Integrity Verifier version 2.05.
//
b89abbed88dbe5671112c33703b92668 zaurus_eabi_rootfs_071201.tar.bz2

D:\warez\zaurus\debian\uploads>more zaurus_eabi_rootfs_071201.tar.bz2.md5sum

D:\warez\zaurus\debian\uploads>
ZDevil
Lol.

Here is mine: e3133206a7846f585bd41c8dfb58f0b2
Same on my Z and my Mac ...
jpmatrix
zdevil,
what is your tar version and what do you type to extract it ?
jpmatrix
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Dec 4 2007, 08:27 PM) *
Lol.

oh!! it is not what you put in the md5sum file on my ftp !

ps: i'm on irc too wink.gif
kkazakov13
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Dec 4 2007, 09:27 PM) *
Lol.

But they are TOTALLY different from yours!

wasp@home:/storage/dl/zaurus-debian$ md5sum zaurus_eabi_rootfs_071201.tar.bz2
wasp@home:/storage/dl/zaurus-debian$ cat zaurus_eabi_rootfs_071201.tar.bz2.md5sum
wasp@home:/storage/dl/zaurus-debian$
ZDevil
WHY? laugh.gif

I also uploaded my checksum to jpmatrix's ftp, together with the tarball. So I suppose things would be fine if people compare the downloaded copy's checksum with mine.
Would there be something wrong when moving the upload around in the ftp?
kkazakov13
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Dec 4 2007, 09:30 PM) *
WHY? laugh.gif

I also uploaded my checksum to jpmatrix's ftp, together with the tarball. So I suppose things would be fine if people compare the downloaded copy's checksum with mine.

You tell me smile.gif maybe you've got intelligent virus on your mac biggrin.gif

Please please re-upload them - I've got a brick right now instead of Z sad.gif
ZDevil
QUOTE(kkazakov13 @ Dec 4 2007, 08:33 PM) *
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Dec 4 2007, 09:30 PM) *
WHY? laugh.gif

You tell me smile.gif maybe you've got intelligent virus on your mac biggrin.gif

Please please re-upload them - I've got a brick right now instead of Z sad.gif

Ok... just to play safe. Let me boot this rootfs up on my C860 first. Then I will upload the tarball again with the checksum to both yours and jpmatrix's servers. smile.gif
ZDevil
Test done! The rootfs does boot on SD on my C860 (Angstrom kernel 2.6.21), via altboot.
But I discovered one curious thing.
Boot stops when loading sshd. After removing ssh, openssh-client and openssh-server, boot goes through!
This happens to the C860 only; the same rootfs boot on my 3200 without any issue (with ssh installed).
Will proceed to (re)uploading right away. smile.gif
Now also i am thinking of making another tarball for 860 (and perhaps also suits C1000 if using angstrom kernel).
ZDevil
As my 3200 is now running two gftp side by side (one uploading to jpmatrix's, the other kkazakov13's cool.gif ), I found one more thing interesting about the different behaviors of the same rootfs on 3200 and 860.

The landscape/portrait function of switchevd in 2or0's zaurusd package behave in opposite ways! laugh.gif

On 3200, it works just fine.
On 860, X will start in the portrait mode. Turning the screen into portrait makes the screen switch in landscape mode.
So I need to adjust the values in /etc/zaurud/hinge-landscape.d/20-matchbox-landscape (normal -> left) and /etc/zaurusd/hinge-portrait.d/20-matchbox-portrait (right -> normal) . Then it works as expected.

Now go dealing with the touchscreen...

jpmatrix, I have a question about your trick in post #39:

You said you did this:

rmmod mousedev (for the stylus jittering)
cd /dev/input
ln -s ts0 event1
then startx, open a console and ts_calibrate to recalibrate the screen

But,
"rmmod mousedev" doesn't work, (ERROR: Module is in use)
And in /dev/input, event1 is already there, but no ts0, so why "ln -s ts0 event1"?

I will try to create a tarball for 860 if the touchscreen is also fixed.

[EDIT]
touchscreen fixed.
Just comment out the line "module_raw corgi" in /etc/ts.conf, and then
Edit ~/.profile. Change /dev/input/ts0 to /dev/input/event1. No symlink is necessary.

One more different behaviour using 2or0's yonggun-specific packages with Angstrom.
The ipaq-sleep package does not seem to work. Pressing power button will not power off the machine. It stays on and returns to the previous display in a few seconds. Removing the package suspend/resume work as expected. smile.gif
ZDevil
QUOTE(jpmatrix @ Dec 4 2007, 08:28 PM) *
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Dec 4 2007, 08:27 PM) *
Lol.

oh!! it is not what you put in the md5sum file on my ftp !

ps: i'm on irc too wink.gif

Yes, you are right. My apology, sir!
Anyway, now uploading again. Please check again. Thanks. smile.gif
jpmatrix
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Dec 4 2007, 09:48 PM) *

You said you did this:

cd /dev/input
ln -s ts0 event1

But,
And in /dev/input, event1 is already there, but no ts0, so why "ln -s ts0 event1"?

you've to exit X to rmmod mousedev

and apology too, it was : ln -s event1 ts0 smile.gif
yes you can also set tslib_tsdevice=/dev/input/event1

ps: uploading new rootfs (checked!) to matrixmen.free.fr !
Fatty
Just d/l the newest tarball and the checksum is good, able to be unzipped via 7zip.

Tks everyone!
ZDevil
QUOTE(jpmatrix @ Dec 5 2007, 12:36 AM) *
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Dec 4 2007, 09:48 PM) *

You said you did this:

cd /dev/input
ln -s ts0 event1

But,

you've to exit X to rmmod mousedev

and apology too, it was : ln -s event1 ts0 smile.gif
yes you can also set tslib_tsdevice=/dev/input/event1

ps: uploading new rootfs (checked!) to matrixmen.free.fr !

Wait, I got this error outside X. So ...? laugh.gif
And in my case there is no need to do the symlinking. Just do the changes I decribed above and that's it. I do this for my C860 using Angstrom kernel 2.6.21.
ZDevil
QUOTE(Fatty @ Dec 5 2007, 04:16 AM) *
Just d/l the newest tarball and the checksum is good, able to be unzipped via 7zip.

Tks everyone!

Great. Do let me know how it goes.
I will not be online till tomorrow night. So good luck, man!
kkazakov13
ZDevil: you can post mine mirror too in the first post - so everyone can download from there too. It's not only for me smile.gif

but meanwhile - here it is http://debian.drun.net/rootfs/

P.P. ZDevil: tnx, I'm downloading it smile.gif when back from work, will check and report
ZDevil
Done. Thanks for hosting it.
It's good to have a mirror of jpmatrix's server.
So kkazakov13, do you think you can create a mirror repo of jpmatrix's in your server (of course only after you get debian set up and start playing)?
2or0
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Dec 4 2007, 12:48 PM) *

If you install udev, please check /etc/init.d/udev and then remove the word "mousedev" in this file not to autoload mousedev module at booting.
kkazakov13
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Dec 5 2007, 09:26 AM) *
Done. Thanks for hosting it.
It's good to have a mirror of jpmatrix's server.
So kkazakov13, do you think you can create a mirror repo of jpmatrix's in your server (of course only after you get debian set up and start playing)?

These days are very intense for me ... I will create a mirror saturday or sunday (hopefully!) smile.gif
ZDevil
Just curious: How is the new tarball now? Does it work properly? smile.gif
adf
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Dec 6 2007, 03:48 PM) *

will install asap--but that might be a day or two. thanks for doing it in advance, though.

I plan to install to cf, then format and istall to the internal A-data from there. hopefully that works. otherwise i will install to sd
Fatty
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Dec 7 2007, 08:48 AM) *

Just installed, w/ kernel 2.6.23.9 yonggun, and played for awhile. Everything works so far laugh.gif
ZDevil
QUOTE(Fatty @ Dec 7 2007, 06:42 AM) *
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Dec 7 2007, 08:48 AM) *

Just installed, w/ kernel 2.6.23.9 yonggun, and played for awhile. Everything works so far laugh.gif

Good. wink.gif Is there any other action that you have to take apart/different from those in the instructions?
Enjoy the debian experience.
kkazakov13
with 2.6.23.1 i could not calibrate, some ts_open errors, with 2.6.23.9 is ok.

mplayer with pxa from 2or0's site does not work on both kernels. Reinstalled everything fresh on my C3200, no problems whatsoever except that weird shadows that look like something desynchronized (it flickers a bit too), on the light windows over dark windows or background or sth like this ... it's really annoying sad.gif are there any settings to tweak about this desynchronization or flickering or whatever it is ...
ZDevil
Can you post a screenshot of the window shadowing thing you've got? I still haven't seen this on both my 3200 and 860.

For the ts_open error, make sure that:
1) There is a line "export TSLIB_CONFFILE="/etc/ts.conf" in ~/.profile, besides export TSLIB_TSDEVICE.
2) The directory /usr/lib/ts is present.

Also I've tried mplayer -vo pxa to play .mpg files and it works great.
kkazakov13
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Dec 7 2007, 08:37 AM) *

I know it's working with you ... it's working with everyone else than me sad.gif

could you give me more info from your system ... trying to find out where the problem might be. Like:

ls -al /dev/fb*

cat /proc/fb

would be nice

P.P. Another question - when I hold down the stylus while in X it's moving around and I often cannot click a button. Is it like this with you ?
jpmatrix
QUOTE(kkazakov13 @ Dec 7 2007, 09:54 AM) *
P.P. Another question - when I hold down the stylus while in X it's moving around and I often cannot click a button. Is it like this with you ?

it's the actual mouse jittering trouble we're having wink.gif
the solution is to exit X, rmmod mousedev and restart X
that worked for me, although there's still some jittering but less than with mousedev loaded smile.gif
Fatty
QUOTE(kkazakov13 @ Dec 7 2007, 02:30 PM) *
... except that weird shadows that look like something desynchronized (it flickers a bit too), on the light windows over dark windows or background or sth like this ... it's really annoying sad.gif are there any settings to tweak about this desynchronization or flickering or whatever it is ...

Okey, I think I understand you. When look closer, I notice a bit flickering on the background. When the menu pops up, the whole background directly above appears to be darker. Well, a bit annoying too, but not as in pdaxrom overclocked and w/o cf.

I don't think we can take a photo to show that.

QUOTE(ZDevil @ Dec 7 2007, 02:16 PM) *
Good. wink.gif Is there any other action that you have to take apart/different from those in the instructions?

Just a minor thing: The emergency mode in Sharp ROM is not bz2 capable. So I have to unzip the rootfs file on PC first. Also, I do have 'unable to open console' error, but I always fail to MAKEDEV within uboot emergency mode. So my install sequence is: at Sharp ROM emergency mode, prepare the internal CF, untar the rootfs, do MAKEDEV, and then install uboot blah blah blah.
ZDevil
QUOTE(Fatty @ Dec 7 2007, 12:58 PM) *
QUOTE(kkazakov13 @ Dec 7 2007, 02:30 PM) *
... except that weird shadows that look like something desynchronized (it flickers a bit too), on the light windows over dark windows or background or sth like this ... it's really annoying sad.gif are there any settings to tweak about this desynchronization or flickering or whatever it is ...

Okey, I think I understand you. When look closer, I notice a bit flickering on the background. When the menu pops up, the whole background directly above appears to be darker. Well, a bit annoying too, but not as in pdaxrom overclocked and w/o cf.

Sorry, I still don't understand this, because I don't see what you describe ... tongue.gif

QUOTE(ZDevil @ Dec 7 2007, 02:16 PM) *

Just a minor thing: The emergency mode in Sharp ROM is not bz2 capable. So I have to unzip the rootfs file on PC first. Also, I do have 'unable to open console' error, but I always fail to MAKEDEV within uboot emergency mode. So my install sequence is: at Sharp ROM emergency mode, prepare the internal CF, untar the rootfs, do MAKEDEV, and then install uboot blah blah blah.

The initial console error: instead of MAKEDEV, a simple reboot seems to fix this as well.
I see. I extracted debian eabi under debian oabi and angstrom, so I was not aware of this uncompression issue. Thanks. Will add this to the instructions in the first post.
ZDevil
QUOTE(kkazakov13 @ Dec 7 2007, 09:54 AM) *
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Dec 7 2007, 08:37 AM) *

I know it's working with you ... it's working with everyone else than me sad.gif
could you give me more info from your system ... trying to find out where the problem might be. Like:
ls -al /dev/fb*
cat /proc/fb
would be nice

Okay. Here is the output of ls -al /dev/fb*
CODE
crw-rw---- 1 root video 29, 0 2007-12-07 20:39 /dev/fb0
crw-rw---- 1 root video 29, 1 2007-12-07 20:39 /dev/fb1
crw-rw---- 1 root video 29, 2 2007-12-07 20:39 /dev/fb2
crw-rw---- 1 root video 29, 3 2007-12-07 20:39 /dev/fb3

And cat /proc/fb :
CODE
0 PXA
1 overlay1
2 overlay2
3 cursor

Does this help?

Sidenote: apt-get dist-upgrade will replace the preinstalled mplayer (a debianized angstrom package) with the official one, which seems to fail to play with pxa option. Just dpkg -i install the yonggun mplayer deb will get it back.

The jittering issue: how about simply do a ts_calibrate or reboot?

(Posting using epiphany-browser on my 3200 wink.gif )
kkazakov13
Well ... it's just simply not working - nothing from things you guys mention that work with you.

jittering is not removed with rmmod mousedev, slightly less, but still annoying and hard to click sometimes. mplayer DOES NOT work, no matter what i try, what i install - it just does NOT.

and the calibrate - well, i NEVER got it to work like - wherever I click - to be exactly there the pointer. I tried calibrating it about 10 times - there's always some difference.

The most annoying thing still remains these artifacts under X - they are hardly visible sometimes ... mostly are visible on single color darker background - but are visible.

The problem is that I need to work with zaurus sometimes ... and I still cannot without any problems.
ZDevil
Umm... suppose you just did exactly what other people (including me) did, and you got all these mplayer, touchscreen and shadowing issues, then I don't really have anything to say on top of my head... and I can't really explain how these things work for me either.

If i were you, I would just do it all over again if I still want to run Debian. Otherwise, just blame on the bad luck...
kkazakov13
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Dec 7 2007, 04:54 PM) *
Umm... suppose you just did exactly what other people (including me) did, and you got all these mplayer, touchscreen and shadowing issues, then I don't really have anything to say on top of my head... and I can't really explain how these things work for me either.

If i were you, I would just do it all over again if I still want to run Debian. Otherwise, just blame on the bad luck...

I followed everything exactly - except that i bzip2 -d 'ed the file on my machine before unpacking to hdd. Did reinstallations about 4 or 5 times ...

Anyway - I guess it's just a bad luck smile.gif
ZDevil
Then, kkazakov13, if you don't mind me asking again:
-- What do you have in /dev/fb* and /proc/fb ? Does it help if you (re)install the three mplayer-related debs here: http://yonggun.tistory.com/54 (under "Video" at the very bottom)?
-- How is your touchscreen settings (e.g. ~/.profile, /etc/ts.conf )
-- How to reproduce the window shadowing, so that I can try and see if I can also see that?
kkazakov13
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Dec 7 2007, 05:06 PM) *
-- What do you have in /dev/fb* and /proc/fb ? Does it help if you (re)install the three mplayer-related debs here: http://yonggun.tistory.com/54 (under "Video" at the very bottom)?

I have the same things in /dev/fb* and /proc/fb as yours. The mplayer included in the rootfs had not pxa option, the one you mention have pxa but does not work. I installed the 3 files (removing first the original ones)

Haven't touched them - whatever is in the rootfs

-- How to reproduce the window shadowing, so that I can try and see if I can also see that?

Can't tell you - it's just there! the first time I boot IceWM from the rootfs. Did _nothing_.

P.P. Anyway - I'm stopping to experiment with Debian for now as I need _working_ machine ( going back to my heavily customized beta 3 ... seems this is the most stable for now). I really wanted to watch 640x480 movies without overclocking ... smile.gif

After some time maybe I will try again. Will keep monitoring the Debian section closely smile.gif

jpmatrix
QUOTE(kkazakov13 @ Dec 7 2007, 04:23 PM) *

I have the same things in /dev/fb* and /proc/fb as yours. The mplayer included in the rootfs had not pxa option, the one you mention have pxa but does not work. I installed the 3 files (removing first the original ones)

Haven't touched them - whatever is in the rootfs

Can't tell you - it's just there! the first time I boot IceWM from the rootfs. Did _nothing_.

P.P. Anyway - I'm stopping to experiment with Debian for now as I need _working_ machine ( going back to my heavily customized beta 3 ... seems this is the most stable for now). I really wanted to watch 640x480 movies without overclocking ... smile.gif

After some time maybe I will try again. Will keep monitoring the Debian section closely smile.gif

i don't want to be sad but could all your problems come from an actual hardware problem ? perhaps oriented toward the touchscreen ? and which appear in certain situations only.... i don't know....
before going back to pdaxrom can you try latest angstrom to see if you have same problems?
kkazakov13
QUOTE(jpmatrix @ Dec 7 2007, 06:16 PM) *
i don't want to be sad but could all your problems come from an actual hardware problem ? perhaps oriented toward the touchscreen ? and which appear in certain situations only.... i don't know....
before going back to pdaxrom can you try latest angstrom to see if you have same problems?

Definately _not_ a hardware problem. I'm already back to beta3 ... needed to write some docs later in the bed, while listening some music ... anyway ... i have no shadow issues under X, and no jittering under beta 3. Also I did tried angstrom about 2 weeks ago - I did not had these problems there either. Don't remember the kernel version there. BVDD driver also works under pdaXrom beta3, so I suppose my pxa layer is not broken either smile.gif
glac
Hello Zdevil,

Thanks for your excellent work. I've installed it on my C3200 and it's working very well (the wifi card is connecting very very fast and flawlessly).
The only remark I have to do is that, in the new tarball, the mplayer installed does not have the pxa driver option. I've had to install the younggun ones to make it work with pxa (I'm having troubles with aspect correction in pxa but I'll open another topic to deal with it).
I have the 2.6.23.9 kernel installed, are the modules of that kernel already in the tarball (if so, the first topic must be coreected).

Thanks,

glac
scottlfa
Just got my 3100, copied the tarball over etc ...

stuck at Warning: unable to open an initial console.
Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

I get this regaurdless of the kernel or image ... even get it when I copy the working C1000's debian off SD to the HDD.

Very frustrating thing is the emergency console has nothing that enable's me to access the hdd. And rebooting does not fix the console error for me.
jpmatrix
QUOTE(scottlfa @ Dec 9 2007, 08:40 PM) *
Just got my 3100, copied the tarball over etc ...

stuck at Warning: unable to open an initial console.
Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

I get this regaurdless of the kernel or image ... even get it when I copy the working C1000's debian off SD to the HDD.

Very frustrating thing is the emergency console has nothing that enable's me to access the hdd. And rebooting does not fix the console error for me.

just reboot and try to wait a little at this error message

to have a beautiful emergency console, boot pdaxii13 install and choose "go to console" (something like this)
scottlfa
How did you do that? VERY interested.

Yeah the kernel panic is a stopper ... what am I doing wrong? PdaXii13 is looking better and better ...
jpmatrix
QUOTE(scottlfa @ Dec 9 2007, 09:15 PM) *
How did you do that? VERY interested.
Yeah the kernel panic is a stopper ... what am I doing wrong? PdaXii13 is looking better and better ...

go get the pdaxii13 install files, or get them here : http://matrixmen.free.fr/zaurus/pdaxii13/
then proceed to flash process, with battery off, reset, then battery on, then OK-ON, choose 4, SD or CF, then Y
then at the pdaxii13 install menu, just choose to go to console, there you can mount hdd to do the MAKEDEV procedure
of course don't flash anything smile.gif and just reboot
adf
I gave it a whirl-- used up a few hours, never got anything working right- saw kkazakov's posts and headed back to pdaxii13.

I think this project, if any, has a future. The feature set in 2or0's kernels alone makes it worth watching. I'll try again soon (I have a vacation coming). In the meantime any idiot-proofing of the installation and guide would be much appreciated. Also, is there some way to backport the goodies, like webkit, from sid to lenny (an keep the project on testing)? Sid breaks things, and it is tough enough to manage a shoe-horned port alone, without managing a "port" (I know, not technically what it is, but you get the idea) of an already unstable system.

I'm back to pdaxii13v2 with a touch of etch for the time being. Hopefully that isn't seen as criticism or condemnation. A "big" distro, like debian, on the Z was what I'd been hoping for since I bought my 5600 almost 4 years ago. You guys seem to have achieved that, though not quite in a way I'm comfortable using, yet. Keep up the good work, please smile.gif
scottlfa
Just spent four days strait ticking myself off. The kernel panic has stumped me. For now I will head back to PdaXii13. I think Cortez has something, a simple boot flash ... just my network card isn't supported. I will keep an eye out.
jpmatrix
it's "funny" to see how people can have lots of difficulties to install their debian on zaurus and how it works without any major problems for other people........ i try to make a poll about that right now smile.gif

scottlfa
Indeed, its strange ... had no issues getting it onto the C1K, went easily. But the HDD on the C3.1K seems to want to fight, I will in the end return (can't help it).
adf
Remember the "old" days when lilo was "it" and systems had a /boot partition....? would this not be much easier (on all but 3000..and maybe even that) if we did some thing like Nand=/boot? Probably there is some obvious difficulty, but if there isn't it seems like this would be a great way to handle the various media issues.
As someone with a comparatively limited skillset and non-standard hardware, this sort of solution has obvious personal appeal.

Jpmatrix--sign me up as 1 count of "struggled to no avail."
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.