Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A Clean, Fresh, Configured Eabi Rootfs Tarball
OESF Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Distro Support and Discussion > Debian
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
scottlfa
Back on Debian EABI -lol- Could not stay away, so twitchy tongue.gif

So now with all the tweaking again ... biggrin.gif
glac
I'm using Debian EABI 2.26.23.9 Y on mine SL-C3200 with the first Zdevil's tarball. I have one question:

How do I overclock my system? When I try to use cpuoverclock.py in X, everytime I change the clock and I hit ok, nothing happens. Some messages appear in my console complaining of a config file not being found. Is there any other way to overclock in console mode? Or is there any fix of this script? Maybe I could try reinstalling younggun's cpuoverclock and see what happens.

glac.
2or0
QUOTE(glac @ Dec 10 2007, 05:29 AM) *
I'm using Debian EABI 2.26.23.9 Y on mine SL-C3200 with the first Zdevil's tarball. I have one question:

How do I overclock my system? When I try to use cpuoverclock.py in X, everytime I change the clock and I hit ok, nothing happens. Some messages appear in my console complaining of a config file not being found. Is there any other way to overclock in console mode? Or is there any fix of this script? Maybe I could try reinstalling younggun's cpuoverclock and see what happens.

glac.

In console, "dvfm 16 6 1 2 1" is for 624 and "dvfm 16 4 1 2 1" for 416.
LinuxGadget
tarball downloaded, installing now on C1k, keep your fingers crossed cool.gif
LinuxGadget
Fu**ing u-boot! mad.gif Nothing for the fainted heart!
Ended here: http://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=24199 , doing a NAND-restore now.
Maybe I'll try it again tomorrow.

QUOTE(LinuxGadget @ Dec 10 2007, 09:26 PM) *
tarball downloaded, installing now on C1k, keep your fingers crossed cool.gif

scottlfa
I find u-boots not so scary.

If you do not have a linux system to host your efforts, flash first to pdaxii13 ... do all the file work and such from it. Once your ready, flash u-boot, upgrade the kernel too 2.6.22 (for the c1k) and your good to go.
LinuxGadget
Hi,

that's exactly what i've done. Prepared the sd-card with the rootfs on my debian (sidux) box. But maybe i used the wrong mkfs for the cf-card flashing uboot, don't know.
No charging light after flashing u-boot, having troubles entering Fn-D-M. Thanks god i managed to enter the diagnosis, did a NAND-restore and reflashed pdaxii3. laugh.gif
Anyway, i am keen enough on apt-get to give u-boot another try this evening rolleyes.gif

So please, folks: ext2 or vfat for uboot? And which version of u-boot? The one for pdaxrom r198 http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distri...akita-uboot.zip ?

QUOTE(scottlfa @ Dec 11 2007, 02:47 AM) *
I find u-boots not so scary.

If you do not have a linux system to host your efforts, flash first to pdaxii13 ... do all the file work and such from it. Once your ready, flash u-boot, upgrade the kernel too 2.6.22 (for the c1k) and your good to go.

Fatty
FAT16 CF, r198 uboot works for me.
zaurier
First: Thanks a lot for your great work ZDevil. I got Debian running on my C1000 and it "feels" good and fast. My only problem (so far): Is there a chance to get a WPA connection working with your tarball-installation? If yes how? (I didn't find wpa-supplicant).

Thanks in advance
zaurier
2or0
QUOTE(zaurier @ Dec 11 2007, 07:28 AM) *
First: Thanks a lot for your great work ZDevil. I got Debian running on my C1000 and it "feels" good and fast. My only problem (so far): Is there a chance to get a WPA connection working with your tarball-installation? If yes how? (I didn't find wpa-supplicant).

Thanks in advance
zaurier

I found wpasupplicant package in the feed.
zogs
zaurus_eabi_rootfs_071201.tar.bz2 don't work *.bz2 with emergency sharp-menu [D+B] trick
zaurus_eabi_rootfs_071201.tar is BIG - 605M

solution with my SD 512M

zogs@linux:~/wrk> bunzip2 zaurus_eabi_rootfs_071201.tar.bz2
zogs@linux:~/wrk> gzip -c zaurus_eabi_rootfs_071201.tar > zaurus_eabi_rootfs_071201.tar.gz
zogs@linux:~/wrk> ls -alh zaurus_eabi_rootfs_071201.tar.gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 zogs users 226M 2007-12-11 16:05 zaurus_eabi_rootfs_071201.tar.gz

now with emergency sharp-menu [D+B] trick and my SD-512M...I can biggrin.gif [y0y0]

# mount /dev/hda1 /hdd1
# cd /mnt/card
# cp zaurus_eabi_rootfs_071201.tar.gz /hdd1
# cd /hdd1
# tar -xvpzf zaurus_eabi_rootfs_071201.tar.gz
LinuxGadget
Thanks, i'm on the road again... rolleyes.gif

QUOTE(Fatty @ Dec 11 2007, 12:03 PM) *
FAT16 CF, r198 uboot works for me.

LinuxGadget
Hm, seems no luck for me with u-boot.

Installed u-boot, pressed ok when rebooting started. Entered the emergency system. Fine so long.
Inserted the cf with the kernel, mount to see if cf exists and is mounted, cd /mnt/cf. Still fine.

But now: ls made me wait for several minutes, nothing happend. Turned the Z around and pressed the reset switch.

Now nothing happens, just like yesterday. Doing a NAND restore. mad.gif But: i will try it again. Before flashing u-boot, i will prepare another cf with the kernel.

Just to proof i'm doing right: Entering the emergeny console, cd /mnt/cf and ./autoboot.sh will install the kernel ?

Man, i can't wait for apt-get rolleyes.gif
zogs
autoboot.sh (posted in this topic ) don't work..
i have write in u-boot emergency shell:

nandlogical /dev/mtd1 WRITE 0x5a0000 0x160000 /mnt/card/kernel.img

LinuxGadget
Awesome! rolleyes.gif Great! rolleyes.gif
Debian booting on my C1k. laugh.gif
Just changed the command for /mnt/cf, it flashed so fast...

My spectrum24 network-cf didn't work (missing firmware ?), so i configured usb-networking. Runnning apt-get update now rolleyes.gif

QUOTE(zogs @ Dec 11 2007, 09:23 PM) *

zaurier
I have still problems connecting wireless via WPA-TKIP. I installed wpa_supplicant and got it running but no success (wap_cli shows a pingpong between "accociated with..." and "CTRL-EVENT-DISCONNECTED - Disconnect event - remove keys")... Before i go in details my first question: Is anybody out there, who get this tarball installation running with wireless WPA connection?

thanks zuaurier
ZDevil

I didn't have any problem using the attached script. tongue.gif The command you used is already in the autoboot.sh (notice the autoboot.sh for debian is different from the one for pdaXrom) Or is it only me?
zecrazytux
Hoy all smile.gif

As I explained on my blog: http://www.zecrazytux.net/GNU-Linux/Zaurus...x-on-the-Zaurus I got busy for a time... And i did'nt succeed to get clicks working.
I did'nt noticed that a younggun kernel existed for c1000 zauriis.
Lots of thanks for your work zdevil ! it works perfectly !

jpmatrix
QUOTE(zecrazytux @ Dec 13 2007, 09:36 AM) *
Hoy all smile.gif

As I explained on my blog: http://www.zecrazytux.net/GNU-Linux/Zaurus...x-on-the-Zaurus I got busy for a time... And i did'nt succeed to get clicks working.
I did'nt noticed that a younggun kernel existed for c1000 zauriis.
Lots of thanks for your work zdevil ! it works perfectly !

blog bookmarked wink.gif
il fait beau Troyes ? wink.gif
zogs
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Dec 13 2007, 03:17 AM) *

I didn't have any problem using the attached script. tongue.gif The command you used is already in the autoboot.sh (notice the autoboot.sh for debian is different from the one for pdaXrom) Or is it only me?

scenario:

pdaXrom emergency system
==================
pdaXrom [Borzoi]
Loading /etc/sysconfig/keyboard/Borzoi/keymap.map
Bootscript /mnt/card/autoboot.sh, go...
: command not foundsh : line 2:
: command not foundsh : line 4:
: command not foundsh : line 6:
Proceed with debian installation or boot to emergency system? [y/n]
: command not foundsh : line 8:
y
' : not a valid identfierne 9: read: 'ans
: command not foundsh : line 10:
'mnt/card/autoboot.sh: line 19: syntax error near unexpected token 'do
'mnt/card/autoboot.sh: line 19: 'for file in $LOC/kernel.img $LOC/KERNEL.IMG; do

Processing /etc/profile... Done

-sh-3.08# cd /mnt/card
-sh-3.08# sh autoboot.sh
[command not foundsh..etc etc repeat]

-sh-3.08# ./autoboot.sh
-s: ./autoboot.sh: /bin/sh^M: bad interpreter: No such file or directory
-sh-3.08# vi autoboot.sh

o my god !! ^M on end of every line
delete all ^M from autoboot.sh and :wq

restart with u-boot emrgency for kernel installation and it work fine
the problem is the format of autoboot.sh sorry

zaurier
WPA connection still not working (I use the Ambicom WL1100C-CF card with my c1000). Before I try another 1000 configuration examples with wpa_supplicant.conf and network configuration files my question: Is anybody out there, who actually succeeded in WPA-connecting with this eabi-tarball-installation?

zaurier
scottlfa
I have found that things that aren't Z specific can be found in alot of the debian forums if that helps. Its where I have had to go to get a number of configuration options.
zaurier
QUOTE(scottlfa @ Dec 14 2007, 01:09 AM) *
I have found that things that aren't Z specific can be found in alot of the debian forums if that helps. Its where I have had to go to get a number of configuration options.

I know that and of course I searched the (debian) forums for configuration problems/options and tried REALLY a lot... But none of the tips and configuration-samples helped/worked. I ask in this forum because my AMBICOMcard worked with all other ROMs I have installed so far. I just want to know whether somebody succeeded with THIS eabi-tarball-installation to make sure its "only" (my) configuration problem and it is possible to get the card working with THIS INSTALLATION and WPA encryption...

thanks zaurier

LinuxGadget
QUOTE(zaurier @ Dec 12 2007, 02:31 PM) *
Before i go in details my first question: Is anybody out there, who get this tarball installation running with wireless WPA connection?

thanks zuaurier

Ok, maybe it's about time to go in details? wink.gif
malik
hello,

can someone please help:

* i want to use zdevils instructions to install debian on my z and went
into problems with uboot
* i read a thread of capn_fish what to do if something goes wrong while
installing uboot, but nothing helped.
* meanwhile i was able to install uboot using
pdaXrom-1.1.0r198-Kathrin-akita-uboot.zip coming from a fresh sharprom
(trisoft nand)/(fresh)cackorom installation, but after that i cant reboot
the zaurus using the on/off button and i cant get into the desired emergency
mode. nothing happens, cant get into the japanese mode or do c+d+reset to
install the kernel. sometimes even (fn+)d+m didnt worked, no headaches yet:-)
* i guess the installation order is alright. do i need to prepare the rootfs
on sd as the first step? i guess no...

my hope was to keep the cackorom in the flash and to use it (with kexec
from angstrom).
Chero
QUOTE(malik @ Dec 15 2007, 05:27 PM) *
hello,

can someone please help:

* i want to use zdevils instructions to install debian on my z and went
into problems with uboot
* i read a thread of capn_fish what to do if something goes wrong while
installing uboot, but nothing helped.
* meanwhile i was able to install uboot using
pdaXrom-1.1.0r198-Kathrin-akita-uboot.zip coming from a fresh sharprom
(trisoft nand)/(fresh)cackorom installation, but after that i cant reboot
the zaurus using the on/off button and i cant get into the desired emergency
mode. nothing happens, cant get into the japanese mode or do c+d+reset to
install the kernel. sometimes even (fn+)d+m didnt worked, no headaches yet:-)
* i guess the installation order is alright. do i need to prepare the rootfs
on sd as the first step? i guess no...

my hope was to keep the cackorom in the flash and to use it (with kexec
from angstrom).

Forget about Cacko on flash when you want to use uboot and debian : they use different kernels.

(To make sure uboot is working : flash pdaXrom r198 following the instructions.
If you can boot it, uboot is ok.)
Do you need to prepare the rootfs : yes.
What else do you need to to : flash the kernel (actually, if you can flash the kernel uboot is ok)
Then : just reboot.

About installing uboot, flashing the kernel :
uboot is very picky about sd-cards and how they are formatted/partitioned. I always use a card with 2 partitions where the first one is fat-formatted and I always succeed. Before I used this card I used a card with 1 partition (a new one !) and never got it working.

Good luck,
Chero.
scottlfa
I agree with Chero, if you have PdaXrom 198 running uboot is fine, flashing it is easy from there. I am thinking that it won't be a happy marriage if you try to run cacko and u-boot. So far I have only successfully got a dual boot setup out of Angstrom & Debian.

I too use a dual partitioned card, fat on first and ext3 on the larger second partition (lesson learned while messing with the C1k and debian).
malik
thanx for the quick answers. it is possible to run angstrom from hd and cacko
from nand using kexec. does the necessity of uboot kill this kind of scenario for
yongun/debian and cacko? i mean booting to a debian console, executing kexec
from the angstrom feed... maybe uboot changes the nand flash in such a way that
this becomes impossible.
malik
partitioning the cards and flashing r198 is not needed. bad news for me: kexec executes
the cacko kernel ripped from tools.tar, but the kernel hangs while booting. the preinstalled
nand image seems to be disturbed by uboot and/or the yonggun kernel. maybe i will try
it from a clean cacko or sharprom install...
malik
1) uboot installation from cf card and japanese menu: works now for me
but only when the sd card isnt inserted (not uboot specific)
2) rebooting works fine after installing the yongun kernel, i.e. using
reset or a reboot from console. before its a really headache, the zaurus
seems not to react on anything or arbitrarily concerning wakeups/reboots or
d+m stuff. can someone confirm this behaviour?
3) script didnt worked for me, executed the nandlogical command by hand
4) some progress with kexec and a fresh cacko installation, getting a lot
of error messages and warnings, but now i can see the cacko screen, starting
linux and qtopia... the story ends here:-)
relapse808
i am very lost, when i boot into emergeny mode how do I repartation the drive with commands and put the file systems on them. The instructions looks like they assume I know what im doing. I am using a C3000 and trying to get EABI to work with the armstrong kernal. The kernal on Titchys homepage is the correct kernal right?
jpmatrix
QUOTE(relapse808 @ Dec 17 2007, 07:04 AM) *
i am very lost, when i boot into emergeny mode how do I repartation the drive with commands and put the file systems on them. The instructions looks like they assume I know what im doing. I am using a C3000 and trying to get EABI to work with the armstrong kernal. The kernal on Titchys homepage is the correct kernal right?

hey a C3000 friend ! i thought i was the only one wink.gif
well, i usually use the pdaxii13 flash kit to deal with my C3000 partitions. you'll find the files there :

http://matrixmen.free.fr/zaurus/pdaxii13/

put them on a card, apply the C3000 flash procedure (battery off, reset, battery on, on-ok power up, then 4, sd, y) and go to pdaxii13 console menu

then format your hdd, and un-tar there the debian rootfs

next prepare a card with angstrom kernel (all files execpt the hdimage1.tgz) then flash angstrom kernel
example of angstrom files needed : http://matrixmen.free.fr/zaurus/angstrom/

that should leave you a working eabi on your c3000 smile.gif

ps: once into debian you should untar modules2.6.23.tgz, depmod -a and reboot
zaurier
QUOTE(LinuxGadget @ Dec 14 2007, 03:20 PM) *
QUOTE(zaurier @ Dec 12 2007, 02:31 PM) *
Before i go in details my first question: Is anybody out there, who get this tarball installation running with wireless WPA connection?

thanks zuaurier

Ok, maybe it's about time to go in details? wink.gif

I think I'm now a bit closer to a solution with my wireless WPA-connection/encryption problem. After investigating the modules I found out that the module "ieee80211_crypt_tkip.ko" is missing in /lib/modules/2.6.22.9-yonggun/kernel/net/ieee80211 but I found this module in the other two module-directories (2.6.23.1 and 2.6.23.9). Maybe it was just "forgotten" in the 2.6.22.9-yonggun kernel. Unfortunately does the c1000 only work with the 2.6.22.9-kernel. I think this module is essential for wpa-encryption with the hostap-driver. How can I get/compile/install this module also for "my" 2.6.22.9-yonggun kernel? Sorry for this stupid question, but I'm only a "user" and not so familiar with compiling and "those things"...

zaurier
scottlfa
2or0 Has an experiemental 2.6.23 kernel that works on the C1000, personally used it so I know it works.
zaurier
QUOTE(scottlfa @ Dec 18 2007, 02:26 AM) *
2or0 Has an experiemental 2.6.23 kernel that works on the C1000, personally used it so I know it works.

Thanks for this information. Where can I get this "experimental kernel"? I tried to install 2.6.23.1-yonggun and 2.6.23.9-yonggun kernel. After getting into uboot emergency boot I succeeded in flashing the kernel like described in the first post of this threat but unfortunately no rebooting after flashing (tried with both 2.6.23 yonggun kernels). Reinstallation of my "old" 2.6.22.9-yonggun kernel worked out of the box. Some things I should know?

zaurier
Ungoliant
Hello!

Thank you very much for this detailed instructions and the rootfs smile.gif

After using it, I have a few suggestions that would make the installation IMHO easier and better:

-Please, include pre-installed wpa_supplicant. It is a really small package that will bring no more dependencies, and it gives the possibility to join our wifi networks at home when installing ( because all of you have WPA, right biggrin.gif ? )

-Please, include dropbear instead of openssh-server. Its memory footprint is really smaller and the funcionality is almost the same.

scottlfa
Love ssh smile.gif

Its all getting there, I am just in awe it runs at all on this size device!
ZDevil
QUOTE(Ungoliant @ Dec 19 2007, 04:03 AM) *
After using it, I have a few suggestions that would make the installation IMHO easier and better:

-Please, include pre-installed wpa_supplicant. It is a really small package that will bring no more dependencies, and it gives the possibility to join our wifi networks at home when installing ( because all of you have WPA, right biggrin.gif ? )

-Please, include dropbear instead of openssh-server. Its memory footprint is really smaller and the funcionality is almost the same.

Glad that you like it and thanks for the suggestions.
I am planning to make an updated tarball (before christmas? smile.gif ) to include some minor fixes:
1. a working mplayer (the one packaged by 2or0 and not the one from the debian armel repos)
2. a revised repo list (/etc/apt/sources.list) to catch up with the change of the feed servers
3. a preinstalled application menu (for icewm and others), which is missing in the current tarball
4. (I remember I forgot a couple of other things, but they don't pop up on top of my head. so any other suggestion?)

Surely if i manage to make it happen i will attach a brief changelog so that existing users will know what to add (i guess many have already figured it out), instead of reinventing the wheel and flash everything afresh.

And regarding your suggestions:
wpa_supplicant: I am not sure how to get this work and where to get what because my cf wifi cards don't seem to support wpa. Any hint?
dropbear: will test it out. in fact my C860 halts during boot (loading ssh server) with the latest rootfs with openssh-server installed. Still don't know what happens. Removing it boot goes fine.
jpmatrix
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Dec 19 2007, 04:50 AM) *
3. a preinstalled application menu (for icewm and others), which is missing in the current tarball

by the way, is there a simple way to update icewm menus as you install more and more apps ?
python
Is there a way to dual boot cacko and debian EABI using uboot?
malik
QUOTE(python @ Dec 21 2007, 10:19 AM) *
Is there a way to dual boot cacko and debian EABI using uboot?

good question, see also my postings above. i used kexec from the angstroem
feed, had no luck with this, but try it yourself. it boots the cacko kernel. maybe
this is possible with special nand tools.
urkden
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Dec 19 2007, 04:50 AM) *
QUOTE(Ungoliant @ Dec 19 2007, 04:03 AM) *

Glad that you like it and thanks for the suggestions.
I am planning to make an updated tarball (before christmas? smile.gif ) to include some minor fixes:
1. a working mplayer (the one packaged by 2or0 and not the one from the debian armel repos)
2. a revised repo list (/etc/apt/sources.list) to catch up with the change of the feed servers
4. (I remember I forgot a couple of other things, but they don't pop up on top of my head. so any other suggestion?)

Surely if i manage to make it happen i will attach a brief changelog so that existing users will know what to add (i guess many have already figured it out), instead of reinventing the wheel and flash everything afresh.

And regarding your suggestions:
wpa_supplicant: I am not sure how to get this work and where to get what because my cf wifi cards don't seem to support wpa. Any hint?
dropbear: will test it out. in fact my C860 halts during boot (loading ssh server) with the latest rootfs with openssh-server installed. Still don't know what happens. Removing it boot goes fine.

I'm waiting this new tarball while trying to take some time to install it. Thanks for your work.
urkden
Well, I've finally installed this rootfs. Everything was ok during install but I get an annoying surprise when starting X. I get a weird "shadow effect" in every window, bars and pointer. I've seen kkazakov has experienced the same with no luck in solving it so I tried on another machine. Both my 3100 and 3200 had the same issue. Any ideas on what could be the cause??
scottlfa
Seen it it both OABI and EABI versions of Debian. Figure its a kdrive issue on Debian specifically. Not sure if theres a fix.
urkden
Zdevil said in this thread that he didn't appreciate it. In titchy linux (OABI) I don't have any issue. Everything looks great on both machines. It would be interesting to solve it. I'll try asap video performance (after network card is configured) and share my exprience. Thanks.
ZDevil
QUOTE(urkden @ Dec 31 2007, 04:05 PM) *
Zdevil said in this thread that he didn't appreciate it. In titchy linux (OABI) I don't have any issue. Everything looks great on both machines. It would be interesting to solve it. I'll try asap video performance (after network card is configured) and share my exprience. Thanks.

Not exactly. It's just that I don't see window shadowing on both my C860 and C3200, so there is nothing I can say about that. smile.gif

BTW the r3 of the EABI rootfs is underway. Now I am waiting for 2or0's packages to be added to jpmatrix's feed, so that apt-get and apt-pinning can work smoothly.

wpa-supplicant will also be added to the rootfs, but I can't test it because I am not using it now.

Any more suggestion?

kkazakov13
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Jan 2 2008, 04:13 AM) *
Not exactly. It's just that I don't see window shadowing on both my C860 and C3200, so there is nothing I can say about that. smile.gif

Wow ... are there different C3200 hardware configurations that I'm not aware of ? That's really strange smile.gif some to expirience the problem, others not.

But on second thought, it's not hardware related, because this does not happen on any other distro smile.gif
urkden
After testing a little harder with both machines I've seen something weird. It's subtle but I see the same effect on Pdaxii13v2 with openbox and icewm. So it should be a cross-rom problem. Maybe X related?
scottlfa
Tried running full X instead of Xfbdev? Would that have an effect on it? Seeings as almost all of them run Xfbdev, including most installs of debian on the Z.
SoulKiss
Great Work on this.

Any chance of a new version with Cortez's Libertas Kernel and the Libertas drivers available during the install?

I am asking this as my D-Link CF WiFi card died and the most readily available CD card these days in the UK seems to be the Sparklan 802.11g card.

Or am I being dim and will putting the module on the Zaurus and replacing the Kernel image in the package in the 1st post of this thread be enough?

Thanks to everyone who has put work into this endeavour.

David
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.