Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A Clean, Fresh, Configured Eabi Rootfs Tarball
OESF Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Distro Support and Discussion > Debian
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
ZDevil
Which partition is your rootfs in?
If it is /dev/hda1, flash the hda1 yonggun kernel.
If it is /dev/hda2, flash the hda2 yonggun kernel.
Use the "updater.sh" attached in the first post.
ArchiMark
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Mar 30 2008, 11:43 AM) *
Which partition is your rootfs in?
If it is /dev/hda1, flash the hda1 yonggun kernel.
If it is /dev/hda2, flash the hda2 yonggun kernel.
Use the "updater.sh" attached in the first post.

rootfs is in hda2....but as mentioned before, I didn't see any hda2 kernel on yonggun's webpage, just hda1 and the others for mmcda....
ZDevil
... which link are you looking at? blink.gif

My bad!! Sorry for that. Here it is: http://yonggun.tistory.com/68

Now go correct the post ...
ArchiMark
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Mar 30 2008, 11:47 AM) *
... which link are you looking at? blink.gif

My bad!! Sorry for that. Here it is: http://yonggun.tistory.com/68

Now go correct the post ...

OK, no problem.... except how do I now find and erase all the modules that I already extracted so that I can replace them with the ones from the new link???

blink.gif
ZDevil
You don't have to remove the older kernel modules. Just leave them there and extract the new one to the root of the root partition.
ArchiMark
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Mar 30 2008, 01:46 PM) *
You don't have to remove the older kernel modules. Just leave them there and extract the new one to the root of the root partition.

OK, ZDevil, I'VE GOT DEBIAN EABI ! ! ! ! !

So far, working great, IceWM, ethernet card, apt-get..........

laugh.gif

tongue.gif

Could not have done it without, ZDevil !!!!

T H A N K Y O U ! ! ! ! !

adf
QUOTE(ArchiMark @ Mar 30 2008, 07:27 PM) *
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Mar 30 2008, 01:46 PM) *

laugh.gif

tongue.gif

Could not have done it without, ZDevil !!!!

T H A N K Y O U ! ! ! ! !

is blutooth/gprs working? tell us more smile.gif

ArchiMark
QUOTE(adf @ Mar 30 2008, 08:45 PM) *
QUOTE(ArchiMark @ Mar 30 2008, 07:27 PM) *

is blutooth/gprs working? tell us more smile.gif

Dunno yet.... wink.gif

I have an old Belkin USB BT adaptor F8T001 that maybe I can try out....

ZDevil
Congrats.
Try this scriptpack here: http://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=25644 , which gives a more user-friendly IceWM setting.
ArchiMark
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Mar 31 2008, 07:00 AM) *
Congrats.
Try this scriptpack here: http://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=25644 , which gives a more user-friendly IceWM setting.

Thanks, ZDevil....will try that scriptpack...

Meanwhile, I installed something that said I should reboot....when I do that I get various error messages mainly about my HD; hda2.....

CODE
Checking root file system...fsck 1.40.8 (13-Mar-2008)
/dev/hda2 - contains a file system with errors. Check forced.
/dev/hda2: Inodes part of a corrupted orphan linked list found.
/dev/hda2: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY: RUN fsck MANUALLY.
                  (ie. without -a or -p options)
fsck died with exit status 4
[color="#FF0000"]failed (code 4)[/color]
[color="#FF0000"]**[/color]An automatic file system check (fsck) of the root file system failed.
A manual fsck must be performed, then the system restarted.
The fsck should be performed in maintenance mode with the root filesystem mounted in read-only mode.
[color="#FF0000"]*[/color] The root filesystem is currently mounted in read-only mode.
A maintenance shell will now be started.
After performing system maintenance, press CONTROL-D
to terminate the maintenance shell and restart the system.
Give root password for maintenance (or type CONTROL-D to continue):
Zaurus: ~#

One other problem now is that I can't type a '/' character in this shell, when I press that key it gives a ',' or a '<' if I use the shift key...

What fsck command should I use or do something else ???

and how can I type a '/' so that I can type '/dev/hda2' ????

Funny thing is that debian/IceWM seemed to be working OK...

Thanks,

Mark
ZDevil
Easy:

In this case you SHOULD run a fsck to check and repair the filesystem.
To do so, reboot and you would get to that warning message again.
Just type your root password (default is "zaurus" if you haven't changed it).
Then run fsck .. [tab] dev/hda1 -- just run fsck without any option (as already suggested by the warning message -- a very cool and helpful feature in such a complete system)
(The [tab] after ".." does the trick to get you the "/" )
When prompted to repair something, just answer yes by "y" then [Enter].
This way fsck will get through and things will be fine again.
ArchiMark
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Mar 31 2008, 11:13 AM) *
Easy:

In this case you SHOULD run a fsck to check and repair the filesystem.
To do so, reboot and you would get to that warning message again.
Just type your root password (default is "zaurus" if you haven't changed it).
Then run fsck .. [tab] dev/hda1 -- just run fsck without any option (as already suggested by the warning message -- a very cool and helpful feature in such a complete system)
(The [tab] after ".." does the trick to get you the "/" )
When prompted to repair something, just answer yes by "y" then [Enter].
This way fsck will get through and things will be fine again.

Thanks, ZDevil !

Your suggestions worked and fsck is fscking away right now....says FIXED after each error found.....

tongue.gif
rogalian
Many thanks for this, all working (but needing a ton more tweaking) here. Took about an hour and a half to untar the root on the Zaurus smile.gif

My notes are here - http://rogalian.blogspot.com/2008/03/debia...s-sl-c3200.html

Out of interest, why the huge amount of (non-debian) sources list?
axeTail
Hi Guys,

Please help, I have 2 partitions, hda1 ext3 and hda2 swap. I untared the rootfs to hda1, flashed the kernel and get :

kernel panic, no init found.

Please help
ZDevil
Which kernel are you using? Which model is your Z?
axeTail
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Apr 7 2008, 04:27 PM) *

Hi ZDevil, Thanks for the quick reply.

I have a 3200 and am using kernel 2.6.24.3, hda1, what does this error mean and how can I solve it? Thanks

Oh, the error message also say :

Try passing init= option to kernel
rogalian
QUOTE(ArchiMark @ Mar 31 2008, 05:49 PM) *
CODE
Checking root file system...fsck 1.40.8 (13-Mar-2008)
/dev/hda2 - contains a file system with errors. Check forced.
/dev/hda2: Inodes part of a corrupted orphan linked list found.

I've been getting exactly the same inode errors quite regularly, even when shutting down the machine properly. Not sure what's causing them yet.

In other news, I've had some success with the rather more mature evtouch driver in Debian - http://rogalian.blogspot.com/2008/04/zauru...erver-xorg.html Rotating works with the touch screen driver, but sadly it breaks the framebuffer driver...

The same bug previously occured with a non-rotated screen and evtouch, so I'm hoping the fix is similar.
ZDevil
QUOTE(axeTail @ Apr 7 2008, 04:32 PM) *

I have a 3200 and am using kernel 2.6.24.3, hda1, what does this error mean and how can I solve it? Thanks

Can you check/try these:
-- Which brand/model is your internal disk?
-- The kernel download is intact.
-- The updater.sh is the correct one (use the one attached in the first post)
-- The root partition is ext3 formatted. (you have to do "mkfs.ext3 /dev/hda1" after using fdisk).
axeTail
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Apr 8 2008, 09:08 AM) *
QUOTE(axeTail @ Apr 7 2008, 04:32 PM) *

Can you check/try these:
-- Which brand/model is your internal disk?
-- The kernel download is intact.
-- The updater.sh is the correct one (use the one attached in the first post)
-- The root partition is ext3 formatted. (you have to do "mkfs.ext3 /dev/hda1" after using fdisk).

Hi ZDevil,

-- Hitachi 6GB HD
-- The kernel is fine, downloaded from http://yonggun.tistory.com/68
-- update.sh comes from the 1st post
-- I did the following to the root partition : mke2fs -j /dev/hda1

I untared the rootfs on the SD then copied it across to the hda1.

Thanks for the support....
ZDevil
How did you uncompress the rootfs tarball?
Can you find /etc/inittab in the rootfs (you can check in the linux emergency cnosole)?
axeTail
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Apr 8 2008, 09:44 AM) *
Can you find /etc/inittab in the rootfs (you can check in the linux emergency cnosole)?

Hi ZDevil,

I have that file. I unzipped it then coppied it accross to hda1. I experienced problems trying to execute tar -xjpf zaurus_eabi_rootfs_071201.tar.bz2 -C to hda1
axeTail

I have repartitioned the hard drive. Swap in the first partition and rootfs in the second.

When I execute tar -xjpf zaurus_eabi_rootfs_071201.tar.bz2 -C /mnt/ide2

I get the following error :

tar : bzip2: Cannot exec: No such file or directory
tar : Child returned status 2
ZDevil
QUOTE(axeTail @ Apr 8 2008, 11:43 AM) *

I have repartitioned the hard drive. Swap in the first partition and rootfs in the second.
When I execute tar -xjpf zaurus_eabi_rootfs_071201.tar.bz2 -C /mnt/ide2
I get the following error :
tar : bzip2: Cannot exec: No such file or directory
tar : Child returned status 2

In your case you may try extracting the tarball before flashing the kernel. Don't do it in the linux emergency console as it doesn't seem to be able to handle the uncompression. The best way is to do it on another *nix box.
And now since you have your rootfs on hda2, you should use the yonggun kernel for hda2, not the one for hda1.
flavien
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Apr 8 2008, 01:34 PM) *
In your case you may try extracting the tarball before flashing the kernel. Don't do it in the linux emergency console as it doesn't seem to be able to handle the uncompression. The best way is to do it on another *nix box.

I copy tar et bzip from a Cacko rootfs (same kernel as emergency boot 2.4.20), to my sdcard, boot in emergency mode, then unlink tar et use bin from my sD.
It works. tongue.gif
urkden
QUOTE(flavien @ Apr 9 2008, 02:45 AM) *

I copy tar et bzip from a Cacko rootfs (same kernel as emergency boot 2.4.20), to my sdcard, boot in emergency mode, then unlink tar et use bin from my sD.
It works. tongue.gif

Or... you can "unbzip" the tar in any machine (*nix or windows with, for example, 7z) and just run "-xpf" command instead of "-xjpf"

P.D.: just waiting the new tarball to see all the improvements ZDevil has done.
axeTail
QUOTE(urkden @ Apr 9 2008, 03:21 AM) *
QUOTE(flavien @ Apr 9 2008, 02:45 AM) *

It works. tongue.gif

Or... you can "unbzip" the tar in any machine (*nix or windows with, for example, 7z) and just run "-xpf" command instead of "-xjpf"

P.D.: just waiting the new tarball to see all the improvements ZDevil has done.

I got it working yesterday. Thanks for all the support. I'm impressed it's fast smile.gif Well done All.

One more question, I don't have a wifi card, how can I setup usb networking? Thanks.
canguy247
QUOTE(axeTail @ Apr 9 2008, 08:04 AM) *
I got it working yesterday. Thanks for all the support. I'm impressed it's fast smile.gif Well done All.

One more question, I don't have a wifi card, how can I setup usb networking? Thanks.

Here it is: Usb Networking Post
hch
hi zdevil and all,

i just installed debian on my z - and it's just wonderful! thanks so much for this post and tarball.
dkm
In watching my system boot, I noticed the following line & wondered if it was something to be concerned about:

Mount failed or selinuxfs on /seliunx: no such file of directory

Shem
Just installed XFCE4 (SL-C3200), but the screen is rotated the whole time.. I tried to edit .xinitrc, but still the same problem sad.gif..

Idea anyone?

Fixed, had to comment out icewm and insert startxfce4 smile.gif
xamindar
I didn't find this mentioned anywhere...

How big do you recomend to make the swap? 256M? 512M?
And, the root should be aroung 1 gig right? Should it be bigger?
scottlfa
Mines 256 MB Swap

Never found a solution too the /selinux message in boot.
rod
Wow! After using angstrom for some months, I've just installed the tarball and yonggun 2.6.24 kernel on my sl-c3200 internal drive. I'd like to say thanks for this tremendous piece of work. It's great to have a comprehensive system with online man pages and all the command line tools. The install was straightforward.

In case anyone is thinking of doing the same, here is a summary of the only things that have bothered me at all:

(1) The "/," key when unshifted defaults to "," in the console but "/" in the x terminal.

(2) I can't find a way to type "`" (backquote) character on the keyboard. Some shell scripts need it.

(3) The g_file_storage module doesn't work, which means that the Z can't look like a mass storage device to a PC. DMA errors are reported and bus resets. It has never worked under angstrom either, so I think sadly the pxa2xx_udc driver has a long-term (permanent?) unfixed bug.

(4) The most serious thing is that the cursor is very jittery when the touchscreen is touched making it quite hard to hit the small buttons on the title bars. It is useable, but a bit frustrating and possibly a show-stopper. I know this has been discussed in the forums but I don't think any solution has been found and it seems not everyone experiences it. Inspecting the output of /dev/input/ts0 with no xserver indicates that the driver is producing noisy X coordinate values (even going below 0 if on left edge of screen). It looks as if the tslib filters are doing their best to smooth things out but the noise is too great. Angstrom works fine in this area. Could it be a subtle kernel timing issue, related to some other configuration issue (root device?

Rod

HRH_H_Crab
This looks awesome! Great work!
I've noticed a couple of strange problems though (btw. I'm using the yonggun kernel and on a 3200):

1./ there is some sort of extremely strict password policy enforced which means I have to change roots password on login.
2./ im getting an error about ifup and ifdown not being able to read /etc/network/interfaces.

Could this be an issue with the install?
HRH_H_Crab
QUOTE(HRH_H_Crab @ Jul 28 2008, 08:34 PM) *
1./ there is some sort of extremely strict password policy enforced which means I have to change roots password on login.

Creating a non root user has fixed this! biggrin.gif

The network problem was a mistake in the syntax of /etc/network/interfaces.
DaemonsGR
Does this pack includes yonggun's rootfs goods?

Thnx
Tasos
DaemonsGR
Every time I try to use an interface, ethernet(I have a buffalo 10base card) or g_ether I get kernel panic and errors... ifup eth3 for example is an instant kernel panic....

I have 2.6.24.4 kernel I think... the latest

thnx
Tasos
Muckel
QUOTE(DaemonsGR @ Nov 2 2008, 08:19 AM) *
Every time I try to use an interface, ethernet(I have a buffalo 10base card) or g_ether I get kernel panic and errors... ifup eth3 for example is an instant kernel panic....

I have 2.6.24.4 kernel I think... the latest

thnx
Tasos

I had the same issue! I switched back to kernel 2.6.24.3 and got USB networking and wlan working.
I think one of the modules is broken in 2.6.24.4. Probably g_ether.

Achim
TronDD
QUOTE(Muckel @ Nov 15 2008, 01:17 PM) *
I had the same issue! I switched back to kernel 2.6.24.3 and got USB networking and wlan working.
I think one of the modules is broken in 2.6.24.4. Probably g_ether.

Achim

Same deal for me with 2.6.24.4 I got errors about af_packet and symbols, also udev was renaming eth0 to eth3. Went to the 2.6.24.3 kernel and everything works great.

TronDD.
drpeter!
The links to download this tarball are broken. sad.gif

Anyone got a working link?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.