Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A Clean, Fresh, Configured Eabi Rootfs Tarball
OESF Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Distro Support and Discussion > Debian
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
kkazakov13
Step 2: Extract the rootfs tarball to the target media: tar -xjpf zaurus_eabi_rootfs_071128.tar.bz2 -C /path/to/the/target/media

I did:

cd /mnt/card
tar -xjpf zaurus_eabi_rootfs_071128.tar.bz2 -C /mnt/hd/

This made me /mnt/hd/mnt/card/ directories - which I had to move to /mnt/hd/ manually - verified on desktop - the archive contains /mnt/card/ path.
jpmatrix
QUOTE(kkazakov13 @ Nov 30 2007, 10:52 PM) *
Step 2: Extract the rootfs tarball to the target media: tar -xjpf zaurus_eabi_rootfs_071128.tar.bz2 -C /path/to/the/target/media

I did:

cd /mnt/card

This made me /mnt/hd/mnt/card/ directories - which I had to move to /mnt/hd/ manually - verified on desktop - the archive contains /mnt/card/ path.

yes i forgot that one too smile.gif i had to move them too

about your console problem, just try to wait a little after the message. if it doesn't work, just reboot removing the battery and try again. it worked for me.
2or0
QUOTE(kkazakov13 @ Nov 30 2007, 01:45 PM) *
Can someone help me ...

I got the error mentioned here:

http://www.oesf.org/index.php?title=Q18:_I...ternal_drive%3F

about the initial console error.

When I booted into emergency system, I wanted to do this:

mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/cf
cd /mnt/cf/dev
MAKEDEV console

but I could not:

first - it's already mounted as /mnt/cf as ext3 - that's ok

when I try to do ls -al /mnt/cf - it freezes without doing anything.

after this I tried

umount /mnt/cf

but I got "Device or resource busy"

Looks there isn't even /dev/hda1 ! only /dev/hda.

I'm getting this behaviour for the second time sad.gif it's happening only under emergency system. Under the initial B+D - it works ok.

Does anyone knows some way to fix this? Seems I cannot even install debian sad.gif I'm not talking about testing it ...

UBOOT emergency has a bug that you mentioned. For C3x00, the internel disk (hda1) seems to be recognized as cf card, and the disk partition information disappears. Whenever I entered into the emergency mode, I repartitioned the internel disk to recover the partition information. Fortunately, all data are not destroyed.
lineager
QUOTE(2or0 @ Nov 30 2007, 02:56 PM) *
Can someone help me ...

mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/cf
cd /mnt/cf/dev
MAKEDEV console

but I could not:

after this I tried

umount /mnt/cf

I'm getting this behaviour for the second time sad.gif it's happening only under emergency system. Under the initial B+D - it works ok.

Does anyone knows some way to fix this? Seems I cannot even install debian sad.gif I'm not talking about testing it ...

UBOOT emergency has a bug that you mentioned. For C3x00, the internel disk (hda1) seems to be recognized as cf card, and the disk partition information disappears. Whenever I entered into the emergency mode, I repartitioned the internel disk to recover the partition information. Fortunately, all data are not destroyed.

I also got this problem.. Could you give me hint/command how to repartition the internal disk under uboot and make it works?

When I do fdisk /dev/hda
I got "Segmentation fault" unsure.gif
band-aid
Exact same problem here

I extracted the rootfs and moved it to /mnt/cf but I get a kernel panic when I try to boot.

CODE
Please append a correct "root=" boot option; here are the available partitions:
b300    922000 mmcblk0
0300    6000278 hda driver: ide-disk
0301    5371600 hda1
0302 628488 hda2
Kernel Panic - not syncing: VFS: unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

Any suggestions?

EDIT: Ok, I was confused about which reboot I was on. It is throwing this kernel panic during the reboot immediately after selecting yes to install Debian in the UBOOT emergency loader.
barmalei
QUOTE(jpmatrix @ Nov 30 2007, 02:42 PM) *
QUOTE(kkazakov13 @ Nov 30 2007, 10:52 PM) *

I did:

cd /mnt/card

yes i forgot that one too smile.gif i had to move them too

about your console problem, just try to wait a little after the message. if it doesn't work, just reboot removing the battery and try again. it worked for me.

I had this too - you can use the '--strip-components 2' option. This way tar will remove two top directory levels leaving just the root layout in the target extraction directory. That is you won't need to move everything two levels up afterwards.
ZDevil
So there are three issues to deal with:

1. Failure to open initial console
-- The solution is just a reboot ...

2. Failure to do things on the internal disk/CF in the uboot emergency system
-- I've changed the order of the installation steps: prepare the rootfs disk first, and then install uboot & the kernel. This is the buggy uboot. Unless someone can make a new one....

3. rootfs tarball contains /mnt/card
-- I will make a new one right away. biggrin.gif Also I will add a couple essential programs to it, such as ssh.
jpmatrix
whoooowww! using zdevil rootfs, i've sound now working out of the box, either via headphone and zaurus speaker !!!! that's great step smile.gif
ZDevil
QUOTE(jpmatrix @ Dec 1 2007, 02:38 PM) *
whoooowww! using zdevil rootfs, i've sound now working out of the box, either via headphone and zaurus speaker !!!! that's great step smile.gif

No, kudos go to 2or0. It's his package.
BTW I've finished uploaded a newer rootfs tarball with a few minor fixes. Those who got the previous one working don't need this. Once the link is released (thanks jpmatrix) I'll add a note to the first post.
jpmatrix
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Dec 1 2007, 02:44 PM) *
QUOTE(jpmatrix @ Dec 1 2007, 02:38 PM) *

No, kudos go to 2or0. It's his package.
BTW I've finished uploaded a newer rootfs tarball with a few minor fixes. Those who got the previous one working don't need this. Once the link is released (thanks jpmatrix) I'll add a note to the first post.

the rootfs is now uploaded to matrixmen.free.fr/zaurus/debian

about younggun debs i've some error messages when reprepro-ing them smile.gif i'll send them to you
jpmatrix
here are the error messages about younggun debs :

CODE
/mnt/lan/zaurus/debian/uploads/yonggun_deb/console-tools_0.2.3dbs-65_armel.deb: component guessed as 'main'
Skipping inclusion of 'console-tools' '1:0.2.3dbs-65' in 'sid|main|armel', as it has already '1:0.2.3dbs-65'.
Character 0x3a not allowed in sourcename: 'http://www.pdaXrom.org/src/cpuoverclock-0.0.3.tar.bz2'!
To ignore this use --ignore=forbiddenchar.
Character 0x3a not allowed in sourcename: 'http://gpe.linuxtogo.org/download/source/gpe-conf-0.2.6.tar.bz2'!
Character 0x3a not allowed in sourcename: 'http://handhelds.org/pub/projects/gpe/source/gpe-icons-0.25.tar.gz'!
Error: Field 'Source' contains unexpected character 'f'!
/mnt/lan/zaurus/debian/uploads/yonggun_deb/libconsole_0.2.3dbs-65_armel.deb: component guessed as 'main'
Skipping inclusion of 'libconsole' '1:0.2.3dbs-65' in 'sid|main|armel', as it has already '1:0.2.3dbs-65'.
/mnt/lan/zaurus/debian/uploads/yonggun_deb/libiw28_28-1_armel.deb: component guessed as 'main'
Skipping inclusion of 'libiw28' '28-1' in 'sid|main|armel', as it has already '28-1'.
Character 0x3a not allowed in sourcename: 'file://mplayer.conf'!
/mnt/lan/zaurus/debian/uploads/yonggun_deb/wireless-tools_28-1_armel.deb: component guessed as 'main'
Skipping inclusion of 'wireless-tools' '28-1' in 'sid|main|armel', as it has already '28-1'.
Character 0x3a not allowed in sourcename: 'http://gpe.linuxtogo.org/download/source/xst-0.15.tar.gz'!
/mnt/lan/zaurus/debian/uploads/yonggun_deb/x-yonggun_0.0_armel.deb: component guessed as 'main'
Skipping inclusion of 'x-yonggun' '0.0' in 'sid|main|armel', as it has already '0.0'.
There have been errors!

edited: i realize most errors are warnings or duplicate entries so they should be harmless...
matrixmen repositories updated!
2or0
QUOTE(lineager @ Nov 30 2007, 07:48 PM) *
QUOTE(2or0 @ Nov 30 2007, 02:56 PM) *
Can someone help me ...

mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/cf
cd /mnt/cf/dev
MAKEDEV console

but I could not:

after this I tried

umount /mnt/cf

I also got this problem.. Could you give me hint/command how to repartition the internal disk under uboot and make it works?

When I do fdisk /dev/hda
I got "Segmentation fault" unsure.gif

For my case, I first unmount /mnt/cf when I entered into emergency mode. You can use fdisk to repartition the /dev/hda. If you know the partition information, you can use that to recover the data in your internel disk.
2or0
QUOTE(jpmatrix @ Dec 1 2007, 09:12 AM) *
edited: i realize most errors are warnings or duplicate entries so they should be harmless...
matrixmen repositories updated!

Thanks tongue.gif
kkazakov13
QUOTE(2or0 @ Dec 1 2007, 08:44 PM) *
For my case, I first unmount /mnt/cf when I entered into emergency mode. You can use fdisk to repartition the /dev/hda. If you know the partition information, you can use that to recover the data in your internel disk.

well, after umount /mnt/cf - i cannot see any hda1/hda2 partitions. So this means the "emergency" mode is not useful smile.gif
2or0
QUOTE(kkazakov13 @ Dec 1 2007, 12:37 PM) *

well, after umount /mnt/cf - i cannot see any hda1/hda2 partitions. So this means the "emergency" mode is not useful smile.gif

You cannot see hda1/hda2 partitions before you make the repartition to see hda1/hda2.
adf
QUOTE(2or0 @ Dec 1 2007, 12:29 PM) *
QUOTE(kkazakov13 @ Dec 1 2007, 12:37 PM) *

You cannot see hda1/hda2 partitions before you make the repartition to see hda1/hda2.

apparentlu you have to partition the drive and untar the tarball BEFORE installing the OS. I'm in the midst of this myself (and have only manged 3 nand restores to show for it)
Is there a step missing in the installation directions that must be obvious to those who have done it and less so to those of us who haven't?

Anyway, I've had: uboot go wrong in surprising ways, and my shiny new taerball extract with an unexpected eof error. I'm sure I'll be happy I did this--but atm...ugh.
band-aid
I can't get /mnt/cf to unmount

CODE
umount /mnt/cf
umount: /mnt/cf: Device or resource busy

umount -f /mnt/cf
umount: forced umount of /dev/hda1 failed!

is there some magic I'm missing?
adf
No joy with the tarball. I've used wget twice and opera once (On Ubuntu dapper, where /media/sdb1 is a 4G hitachi MD on a card reader I use regularly) --and I always get an eof error. Any suggestions? I've included an excerpt below:

tar -xjpf /home/adf/zeabi/zaurus_eabi_rootfs_071201.tar.bz2 -C /media/sdb1

gets me

bzip2: Data integrity error when decompressing.
Input file = (stdin), output file = (stdout)

It is possible that the compressed file(s) have become corrupted.
You can use the -tvv option to test integrity of such files.

You can use the `bzip2recover' program to attempt to recover
data from undamaged sections of corrupted files.

tar: Unexpected EOF in archive
tar: Unexpected EOF in archive
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
lineager
QUOTE(band-aid @ Dec 1 2007, 05:46 PM) *
I can't get /mnt/cf to unmount

CODE
umount /mnt/cf
umount: /mnt/cf: Device or resource busy

umount -f /mnt/cf
umount: forced umount of /dev/hda1 failed!

is there some magic I'm missing?

It seems some people got the same issue.
I want to know what step I missed or the guild not covered.. blink.gif
I follow the wiki guild Q18 to install Debian Eabi on my 3200 internal drive. All steps run smooth, just stop after the line of "unable to open an initial console"

jpmatrix
QUOTE(adf @ Dec 2 2007, 04:32 AM) *
No joy with the tarball. I've used wget twice and opera once (On Ubuntu dapper, where /media/sdb1 is a 4G hitachi MD on a card reader I use regularly) --and I always get an eof error. Any suggestions? I've included an excerpt below:

you're right, the file is corrupted.
zdevil, please upload it again
ZDevil
Uploading. 25 minutes left.
I also found it strange: my original zaurus_eabi_rootfs_071201.tar.bz2 is 200.6MB, but I see there is a zaurus_eabi_rootfs_071201.tar which is just 204.2MB. The tar should be around 600.MB.

Anyway, here is my md5sum. jpmatrix, could you also help me check it?

b89abbed88dbe5671112c33703b92668 zaurus_eabi_rootfs_071201.tar.bz2
jpmatrix
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Dec 2 2007, 09:42 AM) *
Uploading. 25 minutes left.
I also found it strange: my original zaurus_eabi_rootfs_071201.tar.bz2 is 200.6MB, but I see there is a zaurus_eabi_rootfs_071201.tar which is just 204.2MB. The tar should be around 600.MB.

Anyway, here is my md5sum. jpmatrix, could you also help me check it?

b89abbed88dbe5671112c33703b92668 zaurus_eabi_rootfs_071201.tar.bz2

that's strange, the md5sum is correct (even for the older file) but i'm unable to extract the tar with 7-zip....
you can join me on irc on #debian-zaurus
ZDevil
Okay. Which irc server?
Uploading finished. In 071201.
jpmatrix
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Dec 2 2007, 10:21 AM) *
Okay. Which irc server?
Uploading finished. In 071201.

irc.freenode.net

as seen on http://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?showto...5000&hl=irc

wink.gif
cal
Would it be possible to create a debian install distro that works like a regular Zaurus rom?

Start with a striped Angstrom image. Have it automatically try to set up a network connection, download a debian root filesystem, install it to a location of the user's preference and set up altboot to automatically boot the new system.

Basically using altboot as a boot loader and Angstom as a installation tool.

As far as the end user would be concerned installing debian would be like installing any other rom, it would just take longer.
ZDevil
Both jpmatrix and I found that the rootfs tarball is corrupted. It seems something went wrong went i run "tar -cpjf" (but it worked for the very first tarball). Now I am making a new tarball. Will upload it in a few hours (if things go well). Sorry for this. smile.gif
ZDevil
Update:

A new tarball is ready. It is tested (twice actually) and it is fine. Now waiting for jpmatrix's ftp to be up again. wink.gif
jpmatrix
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Dec 3 2007, 01:27 AM) *
Update:

A new tarball is ready. It is tested (twice actually) and it is fine. Now waiting for jpmatrix's ftp to be up again. wink.gif

you're in a lucky day : ftp is up ! smile.gif
tux
QUOTE(jpmatrix @ Dec 3 2007, 08:27 AM) *
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Dec 3 2007, 01:27 AM) *
Update:

you're in a lucky day : ftp is up ! smile.gif

cool.gif
Hope the 'new' tarball and scripts are thoroughly debugged. I also hope I won't be trying to use it any time soon. smile.gif The EABI install I did using cortez's method, in combination with the ZDevil scripts and your tips at the wiki, is still OK! Thanks also to dlj0 for his X tips.

Obligatory stupid question:- Is it possible to do this install without u-boot?

My reluctance to use u-boot is from the same cause I'm reluctant to use angstrom or any of the earlier OPIE stuff. When I scan the relevant forums: so many recurring problems.... sad.gif

My only real complaint with my EABI system is the inability to use X as non-root. But I'll figure something out soon I hope. (Before someone asks what I'm worrying about::- My fingers sometimes outrun the brain and root is very dangerous on those occasions! rolleyes.gif )

Cheers
jpmatrix
new rootfs is available :

http://matrixmen.free.fr/zaurus/debian/zau..._071201.tar.bz2

enjoy!
ZDevil
Thanks, jpmatrix. Just updated the link in the first post too.

ZDevil
QUOTE(tux @ Dec 3 2007, 03:09 PM) *
Hope the 'new' tarball and scripts are thoroughly debugged. I also hope I won't be trying to use it any time soon. smile.gif The EABI install I did using cortez's method, in combination with the ZDevil scripts and your tips at the wiki, is still OK! Thanks also to dlj0 for his X tips.

Obligatory stupid question:- Is it possible to do this install without u-boot?

My reluctance to use u-boot is from the same cause I'm reluctant to use angstrom or any of the earlier OPIE stuff. When I scan the relevant forums: so many recurring problems.... sad.gif

My only real complaint with my EABI system is the inability to use X as non-root. But I'll figure something out soon I hope. (Before someone asks what I'm worrying about::- My fingers sometimes outrun the brain and root is very dangerous on those occasions! rolleyes.gif )

Cheers

Of course if you already have a working setup running, you don't need this rootfs. It is for fresh and new install. Yet it is also a better backup rootfs than the unconfigured ones in case things got messed up.
A few users and I have verified that the rootfs is working, and it is working without using any more after installation scripts.
To be fair, u-boot and a distro are two totally different things. Indeed so many users (I for one) have qualms about the un-userfriendlieness of uboot. But talking about the distros themselves is a separate issue here.
As for running X as non-root user, flux has already come up with a good solution, which has already been wikified iirc.
dinorex
thx mate...

i've just kicked off the dl rite away just now.... ph34r.gif
ZDevil
Good luck, man! Tell me how things go here. wink.gif
Fatty
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Dec 4 2007, 04:17 AM) *
Good luck, man! Tell me how things go here. wink.gif

Tks ZDevil!

Your 1st tar ball did help me bringing up real Debian on my dog! Unluckily, as I messed up with wifi setting, I rebooted it and only found that /dev/hda1 failed to be mounted again. Not sure what caused that, so it's been put aside for a while (well, also because I'd been busy for some days).

I'll try the new tar ball again and report.

OT: say hi to dinorex also laugh.gif
dinorex
hi all zdevil / fatty,

i am too bc in sydney for my new home (gardening etc), therefore it's hard to get me in working around with the doggie debian...

hope i can get that around asap.... (after grabbing that tarball when i back home tonite)..... cheers.../dinorex
kkazakov13
Downloaded twice, the archive is broken sad.gif

wasp@home:/storage/dl/zaurus-debian$ bzip2 -d zaurus_eabi_rootfs_071201.tar.bz2

Input file = zaurus_eabi_rootfs_071201.tar.bz2, output file = zaurus_eabi_rootfs_071201.tar

bzip2: Deleting output file zaurus_eabi_rootfs_071201.tar, if it exists.
wasp@home:/storage/dl/zaurus-debian$
jpmatrix
QUOTE(kkazakov13 @ Dec 4 2007, 05:47 PM) *
Downloaded twice, the archive is broken sad.gif

wasp@home:/storage/dl/zaurus-debian$ bzip2 -d zaurus_eabi_rootfs_071201.tar.bz2

Input file = zaurus_eabi_rootfs_071201.tar.bz2, output file = zaurus_eabi_rootfs_071201.tar

bzip2: Deleting output file zaurus_eabi_rootfs_071201.tar, if it exists.
wasp@home:/storage/dl/zaurus-debian$

don't tell me that!!!!
could you check the md5 checksum of the file you downloaded?
kkazakov13
QUOTE(jpmatrix @ Dec 4 2007, 07:18 PM) *
don't tell me that!!!!

Sorry to say this but ... (after editing the md5sum file to remove some white spaces) :

wasp@home:/storage/dl/zaurus-debian$ md5sum -c zaurus_eabi_rootfs_071201.tar.bz2.md5sum
zaurus_eabi_rootfs_071201.tar.bz2: OK
jpmatrix
QUOTE(kkazakov13 @ Dec 4 2007, 06:22 PM) *
QUOTE(jpmatrix @ Dec 4 2007, 07:18 PM) *
don't tell me that!!!!

Sorry to say this but ... (after editing the md5sum file to remove some white spaces) :

wasp@home:/storage/dl/zaurus-debian$ md5sum -c zaurus_eabi_rootfs_071201.tar.bz2.md5sum
zaurus_eabi_rootfs_071201.tar.bz2: OK

so it is corrupted from zdevil sad.gif

zdeviiiiil !!! mad.gif

smile.gif

we're going to make it ! ... one day smile.gif))
ZDevil
That's strange. I have already extracted it twice on my Z and don't get this. Would there be something going on during the ftp transmission?
Fatty
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Dec 5 2007, 01:32 AM) *
That's strange. I have already extracted it twice on my Z and don't get this. Would there be something going on during the ftp transmission?

Sorry to tell but... yes, I've the same result sad.gif

I d/l it twice, with Firefox in XP, double checked the checksum which is okey, but got file corruption when unzip with 7z midway.
ZDevil
Well, if that's the case,
Two solutions:

-- I upload it again ...
-- Someone offers a space so that I can upload it there as well
jpmatrix
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Dec 4 2007, 06:32 PM) *

that's strange, i cannot extract it .... moreover it worked the first time....
very very strange.... there's a new version of filezilla server... i try to upgrade....
jpmatrix

wait wait
if the md5sum is ok, i wonder how the file can be corrupted????
kkazakov13
QUOTE(jpmatrix @ Dec 4 2007, 08:29 PM) *

wait wait

the md5 sum was created _after_ the file got corrupted? smile.gif
ZDevil
QUOTE(kkazakov13 @ Dec 4 2007, 07:33 PM) *
QUOTE(jpmatrix @ Dec 4 2007, 08:29 PM) *

wait wait

the md5 sum was created _after_ the file got corrupted? smile.gif

Not quite. I did the md5sum before uploading. wink.gif
kkazakov13
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Dec 4 2007, 07:46 PM) *
Well, if that's the case,
Two solutions:

-- I upload it again ...
-- Someone offers a space so that I can upload it there as well

Check your PM, you've got the space needed smile.gif

QUOTE(ZDevil @ Dec 4 2007, 08:36 PM) *

I know this. But this doesn't means the tar.bz2 was not corrupted before you make the md5 sum ... anyway ... I've no idea smile.gif but it's corrupted.
ZDevil
QUOTE(kkazakov13 @ Dec 4 2007, 07:41 PM) *
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Dec 4 2007, 08:36 PM) *

I know this. But this doesn't means the tar.bz2 was not corrupted before you make the md5 sum ... anyway ... I've no idea smile.gif but it's corrupted.

The thing is, I extracted the tarball twice (for testing) on my Zaurus after creating the checksum... tongue.gif
kkazakov13
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Dec 4 2007, 09:00 PM) *
The thing is, I extracted the tarball twice (for testing) on my Zaurus after creating the checksum... tongue.gif

Then md5sum is telling wrong smile.gif please check on your zaurus and check against md5sum ...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.