Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Angstrom Status On Tosa
OESF Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Model Specific Forums > 6000 - Tosa
Pages: 1, 2
undrwater
I pried my eyes a bit wider and found a few other of the 2008.1 images. None of the x11 images allow me to enter info into the login screens, so I tried the console image and found opkg. Suspend did not work via hardware on this image either. What's the command?

I'm curious to try e-wm...is the one that's in the feed the same as what's showing up on the openmoko devices?

I have to say it's been fun trying new stuff with this device that had been gathering dust! smile.gif
lumag
QUOTE(undrwater @ Dec 20 2008, 09:00 AM) *
Just tried it out. Show stopper is apparently the keyboard does not work. "new user details" screen is the first...but neither HW or SW keyboard are placing text in the fields. Orange lines are back too. This is with the above installkit and Dmitry's kernel.

For the keyboard, etc. I'm waiting for general Angstrom decision about future of X11 images (will they contain Kdrive or Xorg and which version).

QUOTE(undrwater @ Dec 21 2008, 02:15 AM) *
Suspend did not work via hardware on this image either. What's the command?

I generally use apm -s. However if the "power" button doesn't work, could you please post the result of

CODE
grep Name /proc/bus/input/devices
grep Handlers /proc/bus/input/devices

Also please check the exact version of kernel package in those images.
undrwater
could you please post the result of

CODE
# grep Name /proc/bus/input/devices
N: Name="Tosa Keyboard"
N: Name="wm97xx touchscreen"

Not sure what you meant specifically, but here's:
CODE
# uname -a
Linux tosa 2.6.24 #1 PREEMPT Fri Nov 21 16:46:51 MSK 2008 armv5tel unknown

and:
CODE
#opkg list | grep kernel
kernel - 2.6.24-r17.1 - 2.6 Linux Development Kernel for Zaurus devices and iPAQ hx2750.
kernel - 2.6.24-r16.1 -
kernel-2.6.24 - 2.6.24-r17.1 - 2.6 Linux Development Kernel for Zaurus devices and iPAQ hx2750.
kernel-2.6.24 - 2.6.24-r16.1 -
kernel-cmdline-2.6.24 - 2.6.24-r17.1 - 2.6 Linux Development Kernel for Zaurus devices and iPAQ hx2750.
kernel-cmdline-2.6.24 - 2.6.24-r16.1 -
kernel-dev - 2.6.24-r17.1 - 2.6 Linux Development Kernel for Zaurus devices and iPAQ hx2750.
kernel-image-2.6.24 - 2.6.24-r17.1 - 2.6 Linux Development Kernel for Zaurus devices and iPAQ hx2750.

Hope that's what you needed.

BTW: apm -s worked quite nicely. Hardware button brought Tosa back to life. I had to reset my network settings (which brought back wifi), but at least the module wasn't frozen.
lumag
QUOTE(undrwater @ Dec 22 2008, 10:21 PM) *
could you please post the result of

CODE
# grep Name /proc/bus/input/devices
N: Name="Tosa Keyboard"
N: Name="wm97xx touchscreen"

Not sure what you meant specifically, but here's:
CODE
# uname -a
Linux tosa 2.6.24 #1 PREEMPT Fri Nov 21 16:46:51 MSK 2008 armv5tel unknown

I see... please reflash the kernel with http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/unsta...24-r17-tosa.bin
It should fix the power key problem.

QUOTE(undrwater @ Dec 22 2008, 10:21 PM) *
BTW: apm -s worked quite nicely. Hardware button brought Tosa back to life. I had to reset my network settings (which brought back wifi), but at least the module wasn't frozen.

As assumed.
undrwater
please reflash the kernel with http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/unsta...24-r17-tosa.bin

It does. smile.gif But are all of the debug options turned on? It's very noisy!

Also, I was playing around a bit and got e-wm installed and running up to the point where locale is asked for...but it doesn't seem to register the touch screen. Is that a kernel thing, or an e thing?
lumag
QUOTE(undrwater @ Dec 23 2008, 09:38 PM) *
please reflash the kernel with http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/unsta...24-r17-tosa.bin

It does. smile.gif But are all of the debug options turned on? It's very noisy!

Most probably the debug is on as it's unstable release. At least I didn't do anything special for enabling it smile.gif

QUOTE(undrwater @ Dec 23 2008, 09:38 PM) *
Also, I was playing around a bit and got e-wm installed and running up to the point where locale is asked for...but it doesn't seem to register the touch screen. Is that a kernel thing, or an e thing?

As the ts does work in opie, I'd assume that this is the E problem.
undrwater
I think everything looks good so fart at this point except key repeat. Once again, if I type www.google.com, I typically get wwwww.gooooogle.com. This behavior showed up in previous kernels and has a bug filed.

Thanks again...and Happy New Year!!
AsLan^
QUOTE(LeTic @ Nov 24 2008, 02:04 AM) *
I know you don't need the instructions as you are an experienced tosa users wink.gif but in case somebody needs them :

I'm almost tearing my hair out with the latest Angstrom! Hopefully someone can help me figure all this out.

I installed openembedded and tried building a couple of images, basically, helloworld-image and console-image. And I ended up with an angstrom-dev/deploy/glibc/images/tosa directory that looks like this:

Angstrom-helloworld-image-glibc-ipk-2009.X-test-20090529-tosa-installkit.tgz
Angstrom-helloworld-image-glibc-ipk-2009.X-test-20090529-tosa-installkit.tgz.md5
Angstrom-helloworld-image-glibc-ipk-2009.X-test-20090529-tosa.rootfs.jffs2
Angstrom-helloworld-image-glibc-ipk-2009.X-test-20090529-tosa.rootfs.tar.bz2
Angstrom-helloworld-image-glibc-ipk-2009.X-test-20090529-tosa.rootfs.tar.gz
Angstrom-helloworld-image-glibc-ipk-2009.X-test-20090529-tosa-testlab
Angstrom-initramfs-kexecboot-image-glibc-ipk-2009.X-test-20090529-tosa-installkit.tgz
Angstrom-initramfs-kexecboot-image-glibc-ipk-2009.X-test-20090529-tosa-installkit.tgz.md5
Angstrom-initramfs-kexecboot-image-glibc-ipk-2009.X-test-20090529-tosa.rootfs.cpio.gz
Angstrom-initramfs-kexecboot-image-glibc-ipk-2009.X-test-20090529-tosa.rootfs.jffs2
Angstrom-initramfs-kexecboot-image-glibc-ipk-2009.X-test-20090529-tosa.rootfs.tar.bz2
Angstrom-initramfs-kexecboot-image-glibc-ipk-2009.X-test-20090529-tosa.rootfs.tar.gz
Angstrom-initramfs-kexecboot-image-glibc-ipk-2009.X-test-20090529-tosa-testlab
helloworld-image-tosa.jffs2
helloworld-image-tosa.tar.bz2
helloworld-image-tosa.tar.gz
initramfs-kexecboot-image-tosa.cpio.gz
initramfs-kexecboot-image-tosa.jffs2
initramfs-kexecboot-image-tosa.tar.bz2
initramfs-kexecboot-image-tosa.tar.gz
modules-2.6.29-r0-tosa.tgz
updater.sh.tosa
zImage-2.6.29-r0-tosa.bin
zImage-kexecboot-2.6.24-r0-tosa.bin
zImage-kexecboot-tosa.bin
zImage-tosa.bin

I have no idea what all these do or how to use them. What I did try is various combinations of flashing a zImage.bin and initrd.bin using option 4 of the maintenance menu (as specified per earlier instructions). The flashing usually works alright but then when it boots, it loads a bootloader that cannot find any bootable devices. On a hunch, I tried unpacking one of the tar.gz images to an ext2 formatted SD card and tried booting with that plugged in and it was detected by the bootloader. Booting it sort of worked but it quickly exited back to the bootloader (I assume that was just a problem with the image I unpacked).

My questions are:

What is the correct usage for all of these file types, i.e. should the .jffs2 files be renamed initrd.bin and included in the flashing process? What am I supposed to do with the bz2 and gz files? Are they only for unpacking to external media?

How do I install to the internal flash? It used to work with the stable 2007-12 build and instructions.

Is there a newer version of updater.sh (that one was not built by oe and I added it myself having picked it up from elsewhere)? The reason I ask is that when trying to flash zImage-2.6.29-r0-tosa.bin it fails during the update program with the error that the file is too big. That kernel is approximately 1.3mb while the others are 1.2mb. Is this a constraint of the SL-6000 itself? I thought it has 32mb of internal memory.

Unfortunately, none of the available documentation that I could find online talks about installing these files. I did find a small entry here Angstrom Manual which talks about what they are but not how to use them as they are all device specific. Unfortunately the tosa documentation only talks about copying the files from an installkit and flashing the device from the maintenance menu.

ant
Hi,

sorry for the lack of documentation, kexecboot is still in development...

Here the important bits:

Sharp Zaurus family (new method - WIP)
For every machine an installkit-${MACHINE}.tar.gz is created, containing updater.sh and zImage (the kexecboot-kernel). Unpack the installkit on a formatted card and follow the usual flashing procedure. If you want a rootfs in nand, this mus be in the .jffs2 format. Just rename your-image-rootfs.jffs2 to initrd.bin and copy it on the card whith updater.sh. On removable media, the root filesystem (your-image-rootfs.tar.gz) must be unpacked into the desired partition.

I'm pretty sure you have an outdated git tree. Please delete all the a.m. images, pull and rebuild.

Regards

Ant
AsLan^
QUOTE(ant @ Jun 1 2009, 01:15 AM) *
Hi,

sorry for the lack of documentation, kexecboot is still in development...

Here the important bits:

Sharp Zaurus family (new method - WIP)
For every machine an installkit-${MACHINE}.tar.gz is created, containing updater.sh and zImage (the kexecboot-kernel). Unpack the installkit on a formatted card and follow the usual flashing procedure. If you want a rootfs in nand, this mus be in the .jffs2 format. Just rename your-image-rootfs.jffs2 to initrd.bin and copy it on the card whith updater.sh. On removable media, the root filesystem (your-image-rootfs.tar.gz) must be unpacked into the desired partition.

I'm pretty sure you have an outdated git tree. Please delete all the a.m. images, pull and rebuild.

Regards

Ant

Thank you for the explanation! After I get it all working I promise to update the wiki smile.gif

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong with the git tree. I set it up using the Building Angstrom Instructions literally a few days ago. Unfortunately, that didn't build correctly the first time and I made the following changes to get it to build:

I replaced my copies of:

kexec-arm-atags.patch
kexec-tools-static_1.101.bb
initramfs-kexecboot-image.bb

With copies downloaded from http://cgit.openembedded.org/ in the org.openembedded.dev branch. And I added my own copy of updater.sh.tosa after an error message reported that it couldn't find it.

Doing that allowed me to compile and make the images I was asking about above but doing a "git pull" seems to have broken it and I can't figure out how to fix it so...

I've just decided to delete everything start over following the OE Getting Started Instructions the only notable difference appears to be not checking out the stable/2009 branch.
ant
>I replaced my copies of:
>the only notable difference appears to be not checking out the stable/2009 branch.

Yes...the fixes are only in .dev branch at the moment.

A patch for .stable branch is expected very soon.

Regards

Ant
AsLan^
Okay, two more problems have arisen...

1. Building base-image or console-image fails at the wlan-ng packages. Here is the log for wlan-ng modules.

NOTE: make CC=ccache arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi-gcc -march=armv5te -mtune=xscale -mno-thumb-interwork -mno-thumb LD=arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi-ld PARALLEL_MAKE= -C src all
make: Entering directory `/home/fredrick/oe/angstrom-dev/work/tosa-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/wlan-ng-modules-0.2.8+svnr1859-r0/trunk/src'
set -e; for d in mkmeta shared p80211 prism2; do make WLAN_SRC=/home/fredrick/oe/angstrom-dev/work/tosa-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/wlan-ng-modules-0.2.8+svnr1859-r0/trunk/src/ -C $d ; done
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/fredrick/oe/angstrom-dev/work/tosa-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/wlan-ng-modules-0.2.8+svnr1859-r0/trunk/src/mkmeta'
mkdir -p obj
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/fredrick/oe/angstrom-dev/work/tosa-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/wlan-ng-modules-0.2.8+svnr1859-r0/trunk/src/mkmeta'
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/fredrick/oe/angstrom-dev/work/tosa-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/wlan-ng-modules-0.2.8+svnr1859-r0/trunk/src/shared'
Nothing to do...
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/fredrick/oe/angstrom-dev/work/tosa-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/wlan-ng-modules-0.2.8+svnr1859-r0/trunk/src/shared'
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/fredrick/oe/angstrom-dev/work/tosa-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/wlan-ng-modules-0.2.8+svnr1859-r0/trunk/src/p80211'
make -C /home/fredrick/oe/angstrom-dev/work/tosa-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/linux-2.6.29-r4/linux-2.6.29 M='/home/fredrick/oe/angstrom-dev/work/tosa-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/wlan-ng-modules-0.2.8+svnr1859-r0/trunk/src/p80211' WLAN_SRC=/home/fredrick/oe/angstrom-dev/work/tosa-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/wlan-ng-modules-0.2.8+svnr1859-r0/trunk/src/ modules
make: Entering an unknown directory
make: *** /home/fredrick/oe/angstrom-dev/work/tosa-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/linux-2.6.29-r4/linux-2.6.29: No such file or directory. Stop.
make: Leaving an unknown directory
make[1]: *** [default] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/fredrick/oe/angstrom-dev/work/tosa-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/wlan-ng-modules-0.2.8+svnr1859-r0/trunk/src/p80211'
make: *** [all] Error 2
make: Leaving directory `/home/fredrick/oe/angstrom-dev/work/tosa-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/wlan-ng-modules-0.2.8+svnr1859-r0/trunk/src'
FATAL: oe_runmake failed

It appears to be a file not found error but I haven't modified the tree at all and I did a "git pull" before building.

2. Two kernels were built (2.6.24-r13 and 2.6.29-r5) as well as updater.sh.tosa. Only 2.6.24-r13 can be flashed using updater.sh.tosa, 2.6.29-r5 gives the error message that the file is too big. This is a problem because as you know, the reason I am trying to get this all up and running is so I can take a shot at installing Android and I believe Android requires a 2.6.25 or higher kernel to work.

undrwater
I asked on the mailing list, but didn't get a reply so I thought I'd ask here.

All of the 2008.x images in the autobuild dir are gone, and only kexec images are there. I have used the narcissus images in the past successfully to boot Angstrom with either Opie or x11 for Tosa (via SD w/ kexec kernel). Lately the images have not been completing the configuration of kernel modules. In particular, kernel-module-zlib-inflate gets stuck (can't get past it - Tosa requires a reset).

I'm curious if anyone is still doing kernel dev for the tosa (it was lumaq {letic?}). Is there any way to follow development if it is still going on? I love the device, and I'd love to continue using it if I can.

Thanks,

Russell Dwiggins

cortez
Kernel development is still actively done, and can be followed on the linux-arm-kernel mailing list.
I'll try to build 2.6.31 for Tosa tomorrow... promise made!
My Tosa has been sitting in the drawer for much too long. let's see how this works out wink.gif

Cheers,
cortez

QUOTE(undrwater @ Jul 13 2009, 08:13 PM) *
I asked on the mailing list, but didn't get a reply so I thought I'd ask here.

All of the 2008.x images in the autobuild dir are gone, and only kexec images are there. I have used the narcissus images in the past successfully to boot Angstrom with either Opie or x11 for Tosa (via SD w/ kexec kernel). Lately the images have not been completing the configuration of kernel modules. In particular, kernel-module-zlib-inflate gets stuck (can't get past it - Tosa requires a reset).

I'm curious if anyone is still doing kernel dev for the tosa (it was lumaq {letic?}). Is there any way to follow development if it is still going on? I love the device, and I'd love to continue using it if I can.

Thanks,

Russell Dwiggins

undrwater
Thanks Cortez, you're a major asset to this community! smile.gif

Does this mean Zubuntu might follow shortly?? *nudge* wink.gif
cortez
Small update: the multiboot kernel is working, but starting the 2.6.31-rc3 kernel results in a black screen on startup. I'll check the kernel configuration again later to see if I mis-configured something, and give it another try.
cortez
Another small update: somehow the 2.6.31 kernel still doesn't work, so I tried 2.6.29. I now have Zubuntu working... at least partly. Fonts are displayed scrambled, and touchscreen doesn't seem to work. So a beginning is made, but there's still work to do.
cortez
A bigger update and a request for help to all off you can be found on my blog here.
undrwater
I'm on my way to trying it, but just a quick note on extracting the rootfs onto an SD:
A lot of
CODE
Cannot create symlink to `<file>': Operation not permitted

type errors.

More later...
cortez
QUOTE(undrwater @ Jul 17 2009, 11:04 PM) *
I'm on my way to trying it, but just a quick note on extracting the rootfs onto an SD:
A lot of
CODE
Cannot create symlink to `<file>': Operation not permitted

type errors.

More later...

Make sure you use "sudo tar -zxpf achive.tar.gz" to make sure you have the right permissions. This is important!
undrwater
Turned out to be a bad mount. Created new topic (Zubuntu isn't angstrom, is it?)
speculatrix
QUOTE(undrwater @ Jul 14 2009, 12:08 AM) *
Thanks Cortez, you're a major asset to this community! smile.gif

Does this mean Zubuntu might follow shortly?? *nudge* wink.gif

I agree 100%. I might be somewhat quiet of late due to busyness, but I still read the updates avidly. I've bought a dremel in the hope I can grind off the broken ram chip in one of my tosas and solder a fresh one on!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.