Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Abicom Wlc1100c-cf
OESF Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Model Specific Forums > C1000/3x00 General discussions
fix3r
Well, I just got my Zaurus C1000 2 days ago. I alos got my AmbiCom 2 days ago however I bought it used from someone. This think lookgs brand new, I was very impressed..

Well, this is what happens. I plug my AmbiCom into its CF slot, and its either:

a) I do some stuff, browser some sites, go to google, BOOM .. white screen pops up and locks my Zaurus out until I remove the CF Card from its slot
cool.gif Instantly when I put in my card into the slot I get white screen
c) When I try to do a package install it usually gives me a white screen (when I have my ambicom in)

I don't know if it is my Zaurus or not though. I have no way of checking this AmbiCom out to see if it works anywhere else. I have the slightest suspician that it is actually my Zaurus but I just don't know..

I wasted $400+ for my Zaurus+this CF Card+4gig SDHC card..

I bought it overseas so there really isn't any way to return this thing and I am still contemplating buying another CF Card and chucking away another $70 to just test and see if this thing works..

Since there is no Wireless CF Cards at circuit city, bestbuy, radioshack, ect.. i have to buy it online which pretty much narrows my chance of returning it VERY SLIM..

what Do you guys think?
Drake01
Some people seem to have good luck with the Ambicom card, but a number of people have experienced this problem. This thread has some info, but I haven't found anything to help me. I've flashed the firmware on the card a few times while trying to find a version that works. I've gone back to my Symbol card, which works great but doesn't support WPA (the only reason I tried upgrading to the Ambicom card).
eviLjazz
I got one of the new Ambicom WL1100C-CF produced in 2006/2007 based on the Prism 3 chipset (NCID 0x801B) yesterday. It came with station firmware 1.8.0, which doesn't support WPA encryption. Like my D-Link DCF-660W I flashed it to 1.8.2, which does support WPA. It works perfectly. Don't use 1.8.4 as it is unstable (drops packets) - I experienced it first hand.
Flash instructions and firmwares are here: http://linux.junsun.net/intersil-prism/
I've used the prism2_srec tool which is included in Cacko and probably in pdaXrom too. "sf010802.hex" is the name of the station firmware I used.

fix3r, I read that the white-out happens because the card is drawing too much power. This happened with my very first San-Disk Wifi Card sometimes. What ROM do you use?
You could try to enable the power management on the card via the console:
sudo iwconfig wlan0 power 1
Perhaps this helps.

Update:
Just for the record:

zaurus@ansari:~$ sudo hostap_diag wlan0
Host AP driver diagnostics information for 'wlan0'

NICID: id=0x801b v1.0.0 (PRISM III PCMCIA (SST parallel flash))
PRIID: id=0x0015 v1.1.1
STAID: id=0x001f v1.8.2 (station firmware)

fix3r
NICID: id=0x801b v1.0.0 (PRISM III PCMCIA (SST parallel flash))
PRIID: id=0x0015 v1.1.1
STAID: id=0x001f v1.8.2 (station firmware)

These are the exact same as mine. However, It said on http://www.oesf.org/index.php?title=Wireless_Card_Support

that this card was prism 2.5 .. thats actually the reason I got it. I need a prism 2 or 2.5 card but this says it's prism 3?

Is there any reason to make it a prism 2.5 card? However yes, it does seem like its a power problem.

If anyone has any suggestions for wirelesss cards (prism 2/2.5) that have none of these problems in C1000 please tell me

This happens on all roms btw, I have tried the default rom(which works a little better but still produces a white screen at points), pdaxii3, pdaxii13, and I am not on angstrom since this is the rom that can actually detect my sdhc card.

EDIT
-----------------------------------

I saw a great deal with for a linksys WCF12 card for $35 so I had to take it. Hopefully this will do better with my Zaurus

ANOTHER QUICK EDIT
-----------------------------------

<bgold> hahaha wow my ambicom really !@#$'s up my zaurus
<bgold> i put it in, i look at the cpu monitor, cpu: 86%; memory: 98742302%
<bgold> that is exact numbers, not even lieing

^=, thats me btw
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.