Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Google Android Installable Image Available!
OESF Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Distro Support and Discussion > Android
Pages: 1, 2, 3
cortez
Hi,

For the time being posted here in "General Discussion" since there is no dedicated Android subforum (yet). Tested on my SL-C3100, this is a small bootable Poky 2.6.23 kernel with a copy of the Android OS from the SDK (qemu) emulator.

Installation is done in the usual way:

1. Download zImage.bin, updater.sh, gnu-tar and android-root.tar.gz and copy the files to a SD card
2. Remove battery and power adapter cable
3. Wait for 5 seconds
4. Replace battery, close and lock battery cover
5. Attach power adapter cable
6. Keep OK button pressed while pressing on/off switch
7. From the Japanese menu, choose option 4 (Update), then 2 (SD) and finally Y

Flashing starts, and you are asked if you want to flash the kernel, if you want the microdrive to be formatted and if you want the root filesystem to be installed.
Accept all questions answering them with y

After flashing is complete, the machine is rebooted. Login with root and type /start to start Android.
This is the basic version, without any of the patches found across the Net.

Have fun, and share your results and findings here please!

Updated: There is a special version for the SL-C1000. Downloads and instructions can be found at www.omegamoon.com
Updated: A test version for the SL-C7x0 and SL-C860 can be downloaded from www.omegamoon.com. Please test and give feedback

Greetz,
cortez
sds
Good job, cortez!
I just bought a used C3000 eBay specifically for experiments with Android and now flashed your image.
Looks quite quick... the network and rotate-to-landscape hacks would be nice to have setup.
How does one kill the GUI and get back to the shell prompt, what are the navigation keys (as the touchscreen is not working)?
Can you describe in more detail your build setup, especially the differences to original japanese one, if any?

I'll be spending time on this during the holidays, and even intend to install OpenEmbedded...
Thanks!
adf
excellent! looking forward to testing
adf
any hint about getting android on a 6k?
jpmatrix
I m trying to chroot your rootfs under my debian. It fails to launch with this error :
fatal error opening "/sys/android_power/acquire_partial_wake_lock"
any help ?
cortez
QUOTE(jpmatrix @ Dec 30 2007, 10:44 AM) *
I m trying to chroot your rootfs under my debian. It fails to launch with this error :
any help ?

jpmatrix,

To get things working on any 2.6.23 distro, including Debian, Poky, Angstrom etc just extract the /home/root/android and the /start script from andoid-root.tar.gz. Make sure to extract android in /home/root/android, otherwise it doesn't work. If /lib/modules/2.6.23/kernel/drivers/binder doesn't exist on your distro extract this also from andoid-root.tar.gz. Finally extract /doit to force the /start script to setup the binder module correctly.

Last but not least, use the tar -xzpf options (the p is important) to make sure you keep all permissions correct.

I hope I didn't miss anything, but I think this should do the trick.

Greetz,
cortez
cortez
QUOTE(adf @ Dec 30 2007, 06:09 AM) *
any hint about getting android on a 6k?

If you have a 2.6.23 kernel running on your 6k, then read my previous post to get Android working. Shouldn't be any problem I guess wink.gif
cortez
QUOTE(sds @ Dec 30 2007, 01:36 AM) *
Good job, cortez!
I just bought a used C3000 eBay specifically for experiments with Android and now flashed your image.
Looks quite quick... the network and rotate-to-landscape hacks would be nice to have setup.
How does one kill the GUI and get back to the shell prompt, what are the navigation keys (as the touchscreen is not working)?
Can you describe in more detail your build setup, especially the differences to original japanese one, if any?

I'll be spending time on this during the holidays, and even intend to install OpenEmbedded...
Thanks!

sds,

I'll try to incorporate all hacks available shortly. I didn't find any info on the Net about ways to exit Android, but I've found out the following:

Press CTRL+ALT+1 simultaneously for approx. 1 second to display the console. Next, keeping CTRL+ALT pressed press HOME followed by MENU. Following message is displayed:
SysRq : HELP : loglevel0-8 reBoot Crashdump tErm Full kIll saK showMem Nice powerOff showPc show-all-timers(Q) unRaw Sync showTasks Unmount shoW-blocked-tasks
Keeping CTRL+ALT pressed, choose one of the (bold) uppercase characters to perform the corresponding action. I don't know the meaning of all actions, but pressing I results in a forced exit. Pressing CTRL+ALT+2 returns you to Android.

My build setup is a clean Poky environment not much different from the Japanese (Angstrom) version I guess. I just added a few extras like Midnight Commander (mc) to make life a bit easier when copying/editing etc on the Zaurus.

Cheers,
cortez
jpmatrix
QUOTE(cortez @ Dec 30 2007, 03:18 PM) *
QUOTE(jpmatrix @ Dec 30 2007, 10:44 AM) *
any help ?

jpmatrix,

To get things working on any 2.6.23 distro, including Debian, Poky, Angstrom etc just extract the /home/root/android and the /start script from andoid-root.tar.gz. Make sure to extract android in /home/root/android, otherwise it doesn't work. If /lib/modules/2.6.23/kernel/drivers/binder doesn't exist on your distro extract this also from andoid-root.tar.gz. Finally extract /doit to force the /start script to setup the binder module correctly.

Last but not least, use the tar -xzpf options (the p is important) to make sure you keep all permissions correct.

I hope I didn't miss anything, but I think this should do the trick.

Greetz,
cortez

gotcha! i at last managed to launch it ! thank you !

jpmatrix
just one question:
how do you open the android console ?

i can switch to another tty but i cannot go back to android gui then...

omro
Will it work on a C1000?

Any screenshots?
jpmatrix
QUOTE(omro @ Jan 2 2008, 10:20 PM) *
Will it work on a C1000?

Any screenshots?

(terrrrrible!) screenshots can be seen on this master blog:
http://androidzaurus.seesaa.net/article/75516785.html

my main problem at now is that i cannot have network to work....any help? (under debian chroot)
ZDevil
That's definitely a good toy to play with in New Year!

I notice that image is for installation via the [OK] flash menu.
So anyone got it working under the debian-yonggun kernel using uboot (2or0)? wink.gif
jpmatrix
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Jan 3 2008, 03:31 PM) *

So anyone got it working under the debian-yonggun kernel using uboot (2or0)? wink.gif

or you can also just untar the android-root dir and run it as chroot under your existing debian smile.gif

about network problem i've a dns setting trouble i think

perhaps this page would help:

http://nemustech.blogspot.com/
http://www.anddev.org/advanced_networking_...linux-t155.html
2or0
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Jan 3 2008, 06:31 AM) *

I already did it last week. tongue.gif I built the kernel and tested it on debian. If you are interested in it, I will upload the kernel and modules.
ZDevil
QUOTE(2or0 @ Jan 3 2008, 04:06 PM) *
I already did it last week. tongue.gif I built the kernel and tested it on debian. If you are interested in it, I will upload the kernel and modules.

Sure, pleazzzzzzz. tongue.gif
2or0
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Jan 3 2008, 07:08 AM) *
QUOTE(2or0 @ Jan 3 2008, 04:06 PM) *

Sure, pleazzzzzzz. tongue.gif

Ok, I upload them in my blog. Check it
Android Zaurus
Dear jpmatrix,

DNS issue might be resolved by running android-root/init instead of runtime in start script.

Network is up.
http://androidzaurus.seesaa.net/article/74649330.html

A better way to bring network up.
http://androidzaurus.seesaa.net/article/74701717.html

Android console could be bring up by /system/bin/sh in start script and/or changing the system console to tty2 because android-init always grabs /dev/tty1.

setconsole and tty1
http://androidzaurus.seesaa.net/article/75560174.html

Cheers,
cortez
Look who's here, it's the author of all the androidzaurus.seesaa.net articles smile.gif
It's great to see you around, and keep up the good work!

QUOTE(Android Zaurus @ Jan 4 2008, 07:05 AM) *
Dear jpmatrix,

DNS issue might be resolved by running android-root/init instead of runtime in start script.

Network is up.
http://androidzaurus.seesaa.net/article/74649330.html

A better way to bring network up.
http://androidzaurus.seesaa.net/article/74701717.html

Android console could be bring up by /system/bin/sh in start script and/or changing the system console to tty2 because android-init always grabs /dev/tty1.

setconsole and tty1
http://androidzaurus.seesaa.net/article/75560174.html

Cheers,

jpmatrix

gotcha! it works!!!!!

(sometimes i wonder why people simply doesn't write EXACTLY what is written in blogs/wiki...... tongue.gif )

i could launch the browser, and try some google searches with success!!!! terrrrrible smile.gif

i also noticed that the hdd light was blinking a lot, i don't really know what is was looking/loading....

edited:i forgot to say that the touchscreeen was somewhat working : it seems rotated...but the screen respond!
Android Zaurus
QUOTE(jpmatrix @ Jan 4 2008, 07:11 PM) *

gotcha! it works!!!!!

(sometimes i wonder why people simply doesn't write EXACTLY what is written in blogs/wiki...... tongue.gif )

i could launch the browser, and try some google searches with success!!!! terrrrrible smile.gif

i also noticed that the hdd light was blinking a lot, i don't really know what is was looking/loading....

edited:i forgot to say that the touchscreeen was somewhat working : it seems rotated...but the screen respond!

Glad to know you've successfully done.

My case, the touch screen sometimes woks, sometimes doesn't. It's unstable.

The coordinate of touchscreen is in landscape view, even though frame buffer is in portlait view. It really confusing. I think touchscreen driver needs a little hack to incooperate with "service call window 18 i32 1" command.

Cheers,
Android Zaurus
Dear cortez,

Thank you very much for your welcoming message. There are two more guys successfully booted Android on Zaurus based on your install image.

Android on Zaurus
http://ceo.gclue.jp/2008/01/04/android-on-zaurus/

His comment is "it is encouraging to develop some Android applets."

Android Zaurus: the movie
http://blog.so-net.ne.jp/vhehas/2008-01-05

He uploaded a movie Android is working on Zaurus.
jpmatrix
Android Zaurus,

i love your RotateView applet wink.gif Thank you !!!

and i've just tried this one:
http://www.androidapps.org/2007/12/android...odge-balls.html

it works! .... in fact at least it runs, but i've troubles with the keyboard to play it smile.gif
jpmatrix
just another world to say that i've just tried google maps on Android ! wwwwhooooowwww!!!!

full screen rendering on the zaurus !

-launch Maps
-press Calendar to have the menu, then Search
then enter your address
-press "S" to have the famous Google satellite view ! enjoy !!!
johnla
You guys are my heroes!!!!! Android is the future!! Think about it.. the biggest tech company and most successful backing this project and the manpower that will be developing for it will be MIND BLOWING.. It's so sweet that you guys are letting us have a working preview of the future.

CHEERS!!
jpmatrix
after playing a little with android, it happens that my hdd went full !!! apparently the tmp directory is growing fast as you use android... i notice it is erased on android launch but is it safe to erase it as android is running ???
speculatrix
QUOTE(jpmatrix @ Jan 6 2008, 08:53 AM) *
after playing a little with android, it happens that my hdd went full !!! apparently the tmp directory is growing fast as you use android... i notice it is erased on android launch but is it safe to erase it as android is running ???

does it generate lots of new files, or one big one? If one big one, can you symlink it to /dev/null? Or, if not possible, delete /tmp and symlink to a directory on a flash card?
Android Zaurus
QUOTE(jpmatrix @ Jan 6 2008, 05:53 PM) *

Good point, jpmatrix.

I tried ls on android-root/tmp.
CODE

-rw------- root root 11429 2008-01-07 23:37 eventlog
srwxrwxrwx root root 2008-01-07 23:36 system_bus_socket
-rw-r--r-- root root 5 2008-01-07 23:36 messagebus.pid
prw--w--w- root root 2008-01-07 23:43 android-SurfaceFlingerSynchro
-rw-r--r-- root root 4096 2008-01-07 23:37 android-shared_heap.1864.0x157f80
-rw-r--r-- app_0 app_0 23552 2008-01-07 23:37 media.db
-rw-rw-rw- root root 9838592 2008-01-07 23:37 android-shared_heap.1864.0x189b90
-rw-rw-rw- app_4 app_4 1048576 2008-01-07 23:37 android-shared_heap.1897.0x15df98
-rw-r--r-- app_0 app_0 12288 2008-01-07 23:37 im_transient.db
-rw-rw-rw- phone phone 1048576 2008-01-07 23:38 android-shared_heap.1899.0x18f678
-rw-r--r-- app_0 app_0 2048 2008-01-07 23:37 contacts_presence.db
-rw-rw-rw- root root 9838592 2008-01-07 23:37 android-shared_heap.1864.0x1b1c80
-rw-rw-rw- phone phone 1048576 2008-01-07 23:38 android-shared_heap.1899.0x186ba0
-rw-rw-rw- root root 9838592 2008-01-07 23:38 android-shared_heap.1864.0x1a4088
-rw-rw-rw- phone phone 1048576 2008-01-07 23:38 android-shared_heap.1899.0x1947b8

Each Android applet eats 1M to 9M bytes shared memory and they are put in /tmp. I guess Dalvik VM does this trick. Obviously you can't delete them on runtime.

For a real target device, /tmp is usually assigned to ramfs. Our Android Zaurus case, it's on internal hdd/flash filesystem. I've been wondering why Android runs on poor 64M, but shared memory on /tmp explains a little.

On the other hand, if android-root/tmp goes to ramfs, Android Zaurus may run much faster. There's always bright side.

By the way, start-android script erases android-root/tmp each time at startup. The reason is binderdev.o reports warning if [i]messagebus.pid[/] exists in android-root/tmp at boot up. So I decided clean them up all in start script. Well, it's supposed to be volatile anyway.

Cheers,
zeroc87
Can I use wireless cf card with android? my card is a planex that use hostap driver
jpmatrix
QUOTE(zeroc87 @ Jan 8 2008, 01:32 PM) *
Can I use wireless cf card with android? my card is a planex that use hostap driver

android is chrooted under your main distro (debian or angstrom). so if your card is supported, there's no problem at all smile.gif
zeroc87
so I have to install debian and then android?
jpmatrix
QUOTE(zeroc87 @ Jan 8 2008, 09:17 PM) *
so I have to install debian and then android?

it depends on your hardware and actual distro.
if you want to start from fresh, just follow post #1 here from Cortez

matthis
Hi, I have followed the instructions in the first post and have Android running! Thanks!
So, poor noob would like some help rolleyes.gif

- How do I get my Wifi CF turned on? I am not in a chrooted environment; having followed the instructions straight from the 1rst post. Or is that chrooted too?

- What's the way back to sharp rom if needed?

Thanks!
zeroc87
if I install without chroot there are packages to isntall or android is a small distribution without package manager?Thanks
Android Zaurus
QUOTE(matthis @ Jan 9 2008, 09:29 PM) *
Hi, I have followed the instructions in the first post and have Android running! Thanks!
So, poor noob would like some help rolleyes.gif

- How do I get my Wifi CF turned on? I am not in a chrooted environment; having followed the instructions straight from the 1rst post. Or is that chrooted too?

- What's the way back to sharp rom if needed?

Thanks!

Edit wlan0 section in your /etc/network/interface. There are a couple of samples how to configure in the interfaces file. And don't forget to delete the gateway line in usb0 section.

By the way, I found this news very interrested this morning.

Penguinistas hack Android onto real hardware
http://linuxdevices.com/news/NS4262102607.html

Cheers,
jpmatrix
QUOTE(Android Zaurus @ Jan 10 2008, 01:50 AM) *
By the way, I found this news very interrested this morning.

Cheers,

it 's funny, i read the same article this morning! congratulations!
chyang
any idea on running android with the native sharp rom?
Is it possible?
Definitely, it's a good software stack to be tried.
matthis
I was happy to try!! And now I'm safely back to sharp rom. unsure.gif
I'm looking forward to Android progress, and will switch again when it's good for noobs;)
fpp
Sorry to hijack this thread... I'd like to try this on my old C760... is there a Howto somewhere to get me started ?

TIA,
fp
speculatrix
QUOTE(jpmatrix @ Jan 10 2008, 07:13 AM) *
QUOTE(Android Zaurus @ Jan 10 2008, 01:50 AM) *

it 's funny, i read the same article this morning! congratulations!

I emailed them yesterday, when they posted about a rumoured HTC device ready for march, to say "why wait, buy a zaurus!", and they replied later/this morning/? to say they were writing it up.
jpmatrix
great smile.gif

i wonder if a zaurus with a gsm card like the Audiovox RTM could be used as a Google phone... or at least it should be possible to have skype on google on zaurus.........
cmonex
QUOTE(fpp @ Jan 10 2008, 12:02 PM) *
Sorry to hijack this thread... I'd like to try this on my old C760... is there a Howto somewhere to get me started ?

TIA,
fp

heh, i'd like to know too. got a C760 here.
cortez
QUOTE(cmonex @ Jan 10 2008, 12:04 PM) *

TIA,
fp

With a kernel capable of running Android you should be up and running in no-time. Let me know if you need help doing that.
merli
QUOTE(cortez @ Jan 10 2008, 01:15 PM) *

TIA,
fp

With a kernel capable of running Android you should be up and running in no-time. Let me know if you need help doing that.

What kernel is capable runnig Android? Also 2.4.20?
fpp
QUOTE(cortez @ Jan 10 2008, 04:15 AM) *

I definitely would. I am not Linux-shy obviously, but not a super hacker either. I have only ever flashed Cacko ROMs on my Z, so I wouldn't know where to start...
cortez
QUOTE(merli @ Jan 10 2008, 04:52 PM) *
QUOTE(cortez @ Jan 10 2008, 01:15 PM) *

TIA,
fp

What kernel is capable runnig Android? Also 2.4.20?

You need a kernel with EABI support. That's version 2.6.16 or newer.
johnla
Noone's tried the C1000 yet?

I'll give it a shot this weekend. Would I be able to just use the same files that the C3000 guys are using? There's no internal HD though..
cortez
I'll try to build versions for C7x0 and C1000 shortly, so you can join us all in this great experiment
johnla
AWESOME!! Most exciting thing to happen to the Zaurus community in a looong time
Dromede
i'm currently trying to make it run on a C1000 running angstrom console image. it does run, but i can't get past the bouncing red eye. it just keeps bouncing and nothing happens. the main problem with running android on a C1000 and on earlier models is the jffs2 filesystem. i heard android won't work on a jffs2 filesystem. i'm currently trying to run it from the sd card. any useful advice is most welcome. :-)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.