Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [new] Kernel 2.6.24.4 With Cpufreq
OESF Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Distro Support and Discussion > Debian
Pages: 1, 2, 3
2or0
Updated: Jul. 16 2008
- RNDIS patch
- PRISM2_DOWNLOAD_SUPPORT and PRISM2_NON_VOLATILE_DOWNLOAD enabled
http://yonggun.tistory.com/72
-----------------------

The kernel 2.6.24.4was built with cpufreq patch. I added the autofs4 module to auto-mount SD and CF card.
http://yonggun.tistory.com/72

Last modified: Apr. 17 2008
-------------------------------------------

The kernel 2.6.24.3 was built with cpufreq patch.
http://yonggun.tistory.com/68

Last modified: Mar. 25 2008
-------------------------------------------

FIXED This kernel has a resume problem. Dont use it. Sorry for it.

--------------------------
I built the kernel 2.6.24 for eabi debian on Z. These are patched with angstrom patches and without cpufreq. I tested only on C3200. Tests on C1000 or C3000 are required. Please give a feedback ASAP.

This kernel works on Cxx00 series.

- There are the kernels for sharp loader and for uboot.

- FUSE, serial_cs and ieee80211_crypt_tkip modules work.

http://yonggun.tistory.com/66

---------------------------
Hi, I built kernel 2.6.24-rc7 for debain eabi. It works for my c3200. Maybe it works on c1000(???). Would someone test it on C1000?

Also I uploaded the patch file. Someone interested in rebuilding the kernel, can use it.

http://yonggun.tistory.com/64
Vitel
Hi 2or0,

Thanks a lot for the new version. I've just tried it on my C1000. It is successfully loaded smile.gif However, I've found two troubles:
1. I cannot start booting from SD card if CF card is not inserted. I think it would be great to compile something like
kernel.img-2.6.22.9-yonggun-eabi-mmcblk0p1 and/or kernel.img-2.6.22.9-yonggun-eabi-mmcblk0p2
In this case we do not have to insert CF card and hold '1' key each time we reboot C1000.
2. Cannot modprobe serial_cs. This is from dmesg:
serial_cs: Unknown symbol serial8250_unregister_port
serial_cs: Unknown symbol serial8250_resume_port
serial_cs: Unknown symbol serial8250_register_port
serial_cs: Unknown symbol serial8250_suspend_port
This module is required for bluetooth cards.
2or0
QUOTE(Vitel @ Jan 13 2008, 06:04 AM) *
Hi 2or0,

Thanks a lot for the new version. I've just tried it on my C1000. It is successfully loaded smile.gif However, I've found two troubles:
1. I cannot start booting from SD card if CF card is not inserted. I think it would be great to compile something like
kernel.img-2.6.22.9-yonggun-eabi-mmcblk0p1 and/or kernel.img-2.6.22.9-yonggun-eabi-mmcblk0p2
In this case we do not have to insert CF card and hold '1' key each time we reboot C1000.
2. Cannot modprobe serial_cs. This is from dmesg:
serial_cs: Unknown symbol serial8250_unregister_port
serial_cs: Unknown symbol serial8250_resume_port
serial_cs: Unknown symbol serial8250_register_port
serial_cs: Unknown symbol serial8250_suspend_port
This module is required for bluetooth cards.

1. From kernel 2.6.23.x, kernel has something wrong. With Uboot I cannot boot properly regardless of booting option. This kernel has to boot into /dev/hda1, but it makes error if I don't press "1" when it boot. I cannot fix it. sad.gif

2. I added serial_cs modules. tongue.gif
Vitel
2. I added serial_cs modules.
I've updated kernel modules, but result is still the same: serial_cs: Unknown symbol...
scottlfa
Will this boot straight too the HDD (hda1) in the 3100? Without having to press a button during boot?
same
hello scott

in the web page http://yonggun.tistory.com/64 it's said: press 2 to boot from hda1 or 1 from sd when you restart the system.

I also hate that press "2" button startup process huh.gif
Sometimes when reboting I end up removing the battery due to SD kernel panic lock, which is a procedure that I don't like at all, maybe there's another solution to reboot when kernel panic'd, I couldn't find.
scottlfa
I was vainly hoping I did not read that line ... -sigh- Well its all cool then, will move up too 2.6.24 soon.
nokamoto
Hi! Thanks to new version!!

I have 802.11g CF WLAN card(PLanex GW-CF54G) and now it worked!!

http://nokamoto.blogspot.com/2008/01/zauru...x-gw-cf54g.html
qaz
Great news! I have Pretec Marvell card, but I will probably wait for non-uboot kernel.
2or0
I updated the kernel 2.6.24. Please see the 1st post.
qaz
QUOTE(2or0 @ Jan 29 2008, 04:16 PM) *

I am testing new kernel now, sharp bootloader version.
My marvell wi-fi card works for the first time, thanks to 2or0 and nokamoto!
The only problem I experieced for now is that tskeys eats 100% CPU after starting X. I used angstrom kernel before, so maybe some cfg files need to be tweaked for this version of kernel.
2or0
QUOTE(qaz @ Jan 29 2008, 12:40 PM) *
QUOTE(2or0 @ Jan 29 2008, 04:16 PM) *

I am testing new kernel now, sharp bootloader version.
My marvell wi-fi card works for the first time, thanks to 2or0 and nokamoto!
The only problem I experieced for now is that tskeys eats 100% CPU after starting X. I used angstrom kernel before, so maybe some cfg files need to be tweaked for this version of kernel.

I don't have your problem. When I started xwindow, nothing happened as usual.

But I have a problem: When I suspend the system, I cannot turn it on and I should reset the system. Does anyone have this problem? This is the critical problem.

yonggun
Vitel
I've just tried the new version on C1000 with uboot. It looks like both kernel.img.2.6.24-yonggun-sd1 and kernel.img.2.6.24-yonggun-sd2 use mtdblock2 as root device. Because of this my Z fails to load with kernel panic.
If it's hard to fix this problem, I think it can be avoided by changing partition table on SD card.
ecc_hy
I have compared the files as binary:
kernel.img.2.6.24-yonggun-hda1
kernel.img.2.6.24-yonggun-sd1
kernel.img.2.6.24-yonggun-sd2

There are same file. The md5 of files are same.
qaz
QUOTE(2or0 @ Jan 29 2008, 10:45 PM) *
But I have a problem: When I suspend the system, I cannot turn it on and I should reset the system. Does anyone have this problem? This is the critical problem.

yonggun

Yes me to - resume is broken.
2or0
QUOTE(qaz @ Jan 30 2008, 02:17 AM) *

yonggun

Ok, this kernel has something wrong. I cannot touch this problem for a while because I will have a vacation. Sorry for that.

yonggun
2or0
QUOTE(2or0 @ Jan 30 2008, 02:55 AM) *
QUOTE(qaz @ Jan 30 2008, 02:17 AM) *

yonggun

Ok, this kernel has something wrong. I cannot touch this problem for a while because I will have a vacation. Sorry for that.

yonggun

I just fixed it. When I changed one option in the kernel, the power resume works well.
qaz
QUOTE(2or0 @ Jan 30 2008, 12:29 PM) *
I just fixed it. When I changed one option in the kernel, the power resume works well.

Great! Will you upload new build to you site?
2or0
QUOTE(qaz @ Jan 30 2008, 04:00 AM) *
Great! Will you upload new build to you site?

I already updated. tongue.gif
Dromede
2oro, can you tell us which option caused the suspend bug?
2or0
QUOTE(Dromede @ Jan 30 2008, 06:37 AM) *
2oro, can you tell us which option caused the suspend bug?

I did following:

# CONFIG_TICK_ONESHOT is not set
# CONFIG_NO_HZ is not set
# CONFIG_HIGH_RES_TIMERS is not set
canguy247
So, has anyone had success with a c1000?
Vitel
QUOTE(canguy247 @ Feb 1 2008, 10:33 PM) *
So, has anyone had success with a c1000?

I have successfully installed the kernel.img.2.6.24-yonggun-sd1 on my C1000. No troubles with BlueTooth and suspend detected, everything is working fine. However, CF card is still required in order to boot from SD (see my first post in this topic for details).
canguy247
Well, I tried flashing this kernel, but now I get:

VFS: Cannot open root device "mmcblk0p1" or unknown-block(0,0)

when holding 1, with a cf in slot.

FIXED: I removed my 16GB CF, and it booted with my 1GB card. That is kinda anoying...
urkden
Which updater.sh do we need for the sharp zImage.bin?
qaz
QUOTE(urkden @ Feb 4 2008, 02:27 AM) *
Which updater.sh do we need for the sharp zImage.bin?

I did that with Angstrom's updater and gnu-tar.
I have extracted modules manually before flashing.
judecn
I tried to kexec -f the image on a C1000; the device froze. Normal kexec causes it to boot the original kernel (2.6.23). Any suggestions?
pelrun
I've not successfully kexec'ed a 2.6 kernel yet (ok, I haven't successfully kexec'ed a 2.4 one either, but at least I get output with those.)

Oh, and kexec -f isn't the best way to use it - you're supposed to put kexec -e into /etc/init.d/reboot (just before the reboot command), load a kernel using kexec -l, then reboot normally. The kexec -e detects if a kernel has been loaded since the last reboot and starts it off, otherwise a normal reboot occurs.
jpmatrix
whow!
has someone tried on a C3000 ? or will i be the first to try ? tongue.gif
jpmatrix
yonggun, you're the master :

-kernel 2.6.24 (zImage.hda1) works out of the box with my C3000 !
-after rmmod mousedev : no mouse jittering at all under X !!!!
-asus CF WL110, belkin CF BT F8T020 : no problemo
-modprobe fuse ; mount my gmailfs directory ; copy files in it : no problemo !!!!!!!!

i'll try more devices later but so far THANK YOU !!!
urkden
Very good news. I'll try to install asap. Thanks.
vimes
can confirm works great so far on c3000 so far using angstrom updater.sh and gun-tar from SD
jpmatrix
2orO,

we also need the binderdev module if we want to be able to chroot Android under debian smile.gif would you compile it for us please? thanks in advance !
2or0
QUOTE(jpmatrix @ Feb 15 2008, 04:32 AM) *
2orO,

we also need the binderdev module if we want to be able to chroot Android under debian smile.gif would you compile it for us please? thanks in advance !

Thank you for your test on C3000. Also I attached my patch on my blog then you can build binderdev. tongue.gif
matthis
Thank you very much for this kernel. I am using the sharp bootloader version. Here are my comments:
- the screen flickers in X
- is there any kind of video acceleration, like bvdd under sharp rom? I find that scrolling through files or moving windows is not smooth.

Thanks for any advice on these issues, and thanks for your work!
2or0
QUOTE(matthis @ Feb 17 2008, 10:30 PM) *
- is there any kind of video acceleration, like bvdd under sharp rom? I find that scrolling through files or moving windows is not smooth.

mplayer has the option of "-vo pxa".
canguy247
QUOTE(2or0 @ Feb 18 2008, 08:56 AM) *

Unfortunately "-vo pxa" does not work for several people (myself included.)
adf
QUOTE(canguy247 @ Feb 18 2008, 07:29 AM) *
QUOTE(2or0 @ Feb 18 2008, 08:56 AM) *

Unfortunately "-vo pxa" does not work for several people (myself included.)

Hasn't Angstrom had a long standing working overlay? I had thought that would be a partof this project- but then I'm not quite ready to do the debian switch (need easy BT/GPRS & wifi- and all hardware working correctly, and want working Android),and haven't been paying close attention
2or0
QUOTE(jpmatrix @ Feb 15 2008, 04:32 AM) *
2orO,

I tried to compile the binder modules but fail to build it. sad.gif
LinuxGadget
rolleyes.gif Thanks, 2or0! rolleyes.gif

Your latest kernel is working fine with sharp bootlader on my C1k, no problems found so far.
And, best of all, to me it seems to be much more responsive.

ZDevil
Really looking forward to an update on the kernel (module) for Android. There is already an sd image around waiting to be booted... http://androidzaurus.seesaa.net/article/80102284.html
born2wonder
First, thanks for releasing a kernel compatible with my c1000 to use with eabi debian w/o uboot.

Since this kernel isnt build with CPU frequency scaling, is there anyway to overclock on kernel 2.6.24?
If not then is there a plan to release one with support for cpu scaling and of course w/o uboot requirement?

2or0
The kernel is updated. Please check it in the first post.
ZDevil
Thanks again, 2or0! How efficient and resourceful you are! wink.gif
Having fastfpe and cpufreq are definitely big pluses.

My 3200 has reflashed your new kernel and booted into the Debian rootfs on SD. Works fine so far.
Now gparted there to repartition the internal disk to make room for Cacko.
This turns out to be a bit tricky.
Baseline: Each /dev/hdX only allows for four partitions, so there can only be /dev/hda1, /dev/hda2, /dev/hda3, /dev/hda4.
At first I was asking for a kernel for /dev/hda3 and /dev/hda4.
But in order to leave room for Cacko/Sharp to install apps on the internal disk (= /dev/hda3), both the Debian rootfs and the swap partition have to move elsewhere.
(Creating an extended partition won't do as it will become /dev/hdb)
For the swap partition I can leave it to /dev/hda4.
So perhaps simply shrinking the original /dev/hda1 and creating /dev/hda2 and /dev/hda3 is a simpler solution.
After repartitioning, I will copy the original Sharp hdd partition files on /dev/hda1 and /dev/hda2. Finally flashing NAND to Cacko should complete a Debian/Cacko dualbooting environment.
Now gparted-ing in progress. Seems a long way to go...
Will surely post the result later.
jocasmi
Hi, my microdive has 7 partitions. 3 primary hda1,hda2,hda3, the 4th extended -hda4-, and three more logical, hda5 -vfat-, hda6 -ext2-, hda7 -swap-.
No one has changed to hdb. all the partitions were created with de Sharp rom fdisk app.

Do you mean that Debian sees the extended partition as hdb?

Sorry if this is a silly qŘestion?

ZDevil
No, i just confused by myself. tongue.gif
Then again, since my debian rootfs is already in a primary partition in /dev/hda1, i am not sure whether it is possible to move it into a new extended partition (say /dev/hda4 as the first logical partition in the extended partition), becoming:
hda1 (factory hdd files), hda2 (factory hdd files), hda3 (extended user space for Sharp/Cacko), {hda4 (new debian root), hda5 (swap)}
adf
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Mar 25 2008, 09:57 AM) *
No, i just confused by myself. tongue.gif
Then again, since my debian rootfs is already in a primary partition in /dev/hda1, i am not sure whether it is possible to move it into a new extended partition (say /dev/hda4 as the first logical partition in the extended partition), becoming:
hda1 (factory hdd files), hda2 (factory hdd files), hda3 (extended user space for Sharp/Cacko), {hda4 (new debian root), hda5 (swap)}

could you start a cacko/debian thread with your results, methods etc? 2or0's kernel sounds like sufficient progress for debian to be compelling, the cacko dual boot covers the pda needs. the 2.4 kernel & modules could maybe be listed (are you using a new tetsu or eviljazz kernel?) the means for getting qtmail to talk to gmail, etc would be handy...... and some basic info on how well it works, the possiblities of going back and forth with 1-click(though the transition might take a minute or 2), that sort of thing.

born2wonder
Thank you 20r0 for the new kernel with cpufreq and fastfpe!!!

Vitel
C1000 + kernel 2.6.24.3 + Sharp loader = no problems found
Thanks 2or0
ZDevil
QUOTE(adf @ Mar 25 2008, 09:22 PM) *
could you start a cacko/debian thread with your results, methods etc? 2or0's kernel sounds like sufficient progress for debian to be compelling, the cacko dual boot covers the pda needs. the 2.4 kernel & modules could maybe be listed (are you using a new tetsu or eviljazz kernel?) the means for getting qtmail to talk to gmail, etc would be handy...... and some basic info on how well it works, the possiblities of going back and forth with 1-click(though the transition might take a minute or 2), that sort of thing.

Here you go:
http://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?showto...st&p=174922

As for the one-click thing... perhaps I (anyone can do this easily) can just package up the dualbooting ingredients (individual kernel + booting script) with an item added to the root program menu in the WM (IceWM or LXDE).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.