Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Welcome!
OESF Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Distro Support and Discussion > Android
speculatrix
What do you think you'll be running this time next year?
craigtyson
QUOTE(speculatrix @ Jan 15 2008, 12:24 PM) *

Development is the key.
cortez
QUOTE(speculatrix @ Jan 15 2008, 01:24 PM) *

Until Google releases more of the source code, I think the combination of Debian and Android is the one I stick with. My knowledge of C/C++ is far too little to develop things myself. My knowledge of Java on the other hand is quite good, so I like the idea of having the opportunity to develop things on my Zaurus, as long as time permits of course huh.gif
jocasmi
I'm glad to see that our Zaurus can benefit from another Distro.

I'm just an end user nor a Pro or Developer, but I'm happy finding more reasons to stay tuned.

Greets.
speculatrix
QUOTE(craigtyson @ Jan 15 2008, 12:33 PM) *
Development is the key.

very true... it depends on whether google are serious about making android into a mass market consumer distro (much as Nokia did with the tablet), or whether they're just trying to ensure that PocketPC/WinMobe/WinCE and Symbian don't get too entrenched?

I think Android is likely to develop quite well. In fact, I've installed it using cortez's installer to see I can be an early adopter, and also to get kudos at work since most people there are geeks smile.gif
undrwater
speculatrix:

is your 6000 alive enough to make an attempt with android? I'd like to try, but I have a few other things to try before that.

It seems to me the layout of the 6000 is ideal for android...could be wrong...
speculatrix
QUOTE(undrwater @ Jan 17 2008, 11:58 PM) *
speculatrix:

is your 6000 alive enough to make an attempt with android? I'd like to try, but I have a few other things to try before that.

It seems to me the layout of the 6000 is ideal for android...could be wrong...

yes, it is alive - just! I've still got a problem with the screen, the USB port is dead, and the battery is shot.

I would be very happy to try out android on it; I guess it'll need the 6000's kernel from angstrom, and an interesting mix of stuff from android.
fpp
I'm waiting for an (almost)end-user ready version for my C760... Its old Cacko has been gathering dust for three Nokia tablets generations now so it's ripe for experimenting, I don't want to part with it and would love to find something fun to revive it !
adf
a stable debian (though not debian stable) w/ android ,given equally easy hardware management to good ole pdaxii13v2 could well be my next distro. Of course there is a long way to go,and other projects at work too....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.