Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Htc Universal
OESF Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Distro Support and Discussion > Debian
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
datathief
QUOTE(ArchiMark @ Apr 23 2008, 04:30 AM) *
CODE
[     2.  420001]  mmcblk0: p1
[     6.  800000] EXT2-fs warning: mounting unchecked fs, running e2fsck is recommended
[     6.  810000] VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem).
[     6.  820000] Freeing init memory: 96k
[     6.  840000] Warning: unable to open initial console.
[     6.  900000] Kernel panic - not syncing: no init found. Try passing init=option to kernel.

"Mounting unchecked fs" suggests that the card was removed from the machine you used to install before it had finished writing to it. My first suggestion would be to retry installing the rootfs tarball.
ArchiMark
QUOTE(datathief @ Apr 23 2008, 12:35 AM) *
QUOTE(ArchiMark @ Apr 23 2008, 04:30 AM) *
CODE
[     2.  420001]  mmcblk0: p1
[     6.  800000] EXT2-fs warning: mounting unchecked fs, running e2fsck is recommended
[     6.  810000] VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem).
[     6.  820000] Freeing init memory: 96k
[     6.  840000] Warning: unable to open initial console.
[     6.  900000] Kernel panic - not syncing: no init found. Try passing init=option to kernel.

"Mounting unchecked fs" suggests that the card was removed from the machine you used to install before it had finished writing to it. My first suggestion would be to retry installing the rootfs tarball.

That did it, datathief! Thanks!

Don't know how I did that one....

Anyway, reinstalled the tarball, this time on a 4GB SD card instead of a 1GB card....

Maximum SD Card Size?

Thought about using my new 16GB SD card, but didn't know if that would work on HTC Uni and also for some unknown reason, I couldn't seem to get my Fujitsu U810/Debian to recognize it....so, couldn't unpack tarball onto it...

Debian Boots!
Meanwhile, Debian booted up OK this time..... Yeah!

Now, trying to get ethernet or wifi working now....

USB Ethernet?

Trying to use ethernet through my Linksys USB200M v.2.1 device....at first I got message that there wasn't enough power, so connected up my lil' HP mini-hub and then there's enough power....

Now, to get connected to internet, do I need to do the 2nd section of the Titchy Mobile instructions titled 'Setting Up a USB Network' ?

If that is not what I should do, what should I do to get ethernet working?

Also, what cable type should I be using to connect Linksys to HTC?

I have the 'regular USB cable' and a 'USB host cable'....which one is correct for the HTC?

On my 3200 I use the 'USB host cable'.

Keyboard - Symbols??

If so, how do I type the '>' symbol??? I don't see it on the keyboard....I tried the 'sym' key but I get the '|' symbol when I click that key....

WiFi - UPDATE

As for WiFi, I just re-read instructions and realized that I needed to install 'firmware.tar.gz' and then per instructions:

CODE
modprobe htcuniversal-acx  (message says "forcing power off...is that OK??)
modprobe acx

....did that and now I see that wlan0 interface recognized in 'ifconfig -a'

I tried 'iwconfig wlan0 rate 1M per instructions, but get message that this is unknown command or something like that....

If I do 'ifup wlan0', console 'goes crazy' with continual scrolling of text.....no way to stop it....have force shutdown by resetting HTC Universal.....text refers to acx and has lots of numbers on each line as it scrolls by...

Any ideas as to get WiFi working properly??

AC Power & USB Hub at Sametime?

Also, Is there anyway to connect the AC power to the Uni AND have the USB hub/ethernet device connected at the same time??? Would be nice to be able to do this since I will usually be near an AC power outlet either at home or at work....

Thanks for any and all help....

Mark
ShiroiKuma
QUOTE(datathief @ Apr 22 2008, 11:58 PM) *
You're right. I've hardcoded a "+" at the beginning of the dialled number. Handling different types of numbers consistently for calls and SMS needs a little thought - I'll try to fix it tonight or tomorrow. For now, you could edit /usr/bin/htcunid to remove the "+" in "ATD+". Alternatively, can you get to your mailbox by dialling your own number?

Update: New version of htcunid. You can now dial national and network-specific numbers. You must now prepend international numbers with "+".

I think there is a problem with long SMS texts. If you try to send a message over the limit of characters (what is it 140? If so then for Unicode this is 70) it fails and kills the htcunid daemon process or something ugly, tried a number of times and had to manually restart the daemon after each failed attempt.

I think the script needs to check if it's beyond the maximum SMS length and if so, then split into a number of messages and send those in succession.
datathief
QUOTE(ArchiMark @ Apr 23 2008, 04:14 PM) *
USB Ethernet?

Trying to use ethernet through my Linksys USB200M v.2.1 device....at first I got message that there wasn't enough power, so connected up my lil' HP mini-hub and then there's enough power....

Now, to get connected to internet, do I need to do the 2nd section of the Titchy Mobile instructions titled 'Setting Up a USB Network' ?

I don't think the phone even supports USB peripherals (I don't have an adaptor to try). The USB network instructions are for connecting via a USB cable to a PC.

Keyboard - Symbols??

If so, how do I type the '>' symbol??? I don't see it on the keyboard....I tried the 'sym' key but I get the '|' symbol when I click that key....

Shift-: = >
Shift-; = <
SYM = |
Fn-SYM = `

WiFi - UPDATE

As for WiFi, I just re-read instructions and realized that I needed to install 'firmware.tar.gz' and then per instructions:

CODE
modprobe acx

I tried 'iwconfig wlan0 rate 1M per instructions, but get message that this is unknown command or something like that....

If I do 'ifup wlan0', console 'goes crazy' with continual scrolling of text.....no way to stop it....have force shutdown by resetting HTC Universal.....text refers to acx and has lots of numbers on each line as it scrolls by...

Try dmesg -n1 to stop the messages appearing on the console. Don't do iwconfig wlan0 rate 1M until after you've connected to the access point. You could try adding these to your /network/interfaces, e.g.:
CODE
wlan0 inet dhcp
  pre-up iwconfig wlan0 rate 11M
  post-up iwconfig wlan0 rate 1M

Also, Is there anyway to connect the AC power to the Uni AND have the USB hub/ethernet device connected at the same time??? Would be nice to be able to do this since I will usually be near an AC power outlet either at home or at work....

The phone should charge via any powered USB connection, although not as quickly as when connected to AC. Plug it in and type apm to see if it's charging.
datathief
QUOTE(ShiroiKuma @ Apr 23 2008, 06:23 PM) *
I think the script needs to check if it's beyond the maximum SMS length and if so, then split into a number of messages and send those in succession.

It's even worse for incoming muiti-part messages: they get completely mangled. They seem to have some sort of extra header. I think this is the last major missing feature - I'll see what I can do.
ArchiMark
QUOTE(ArchiMark @ Apr 23 2008, 04:14 PM) *
USB Ethernet?

QUOTE(datathief @ Apr 23 2008, 02:45 PM) *
I don't think the phone even supports USB peripherals (I don't have an adaptor to try). The USB network instructions are for connecting via a USB cable to a PC.

OK, I get it now....however, I do think that it recognizes that I've plugged something in...at least I think so..

Keyboard - Symbols??

Shift-: = >
Shift-; = <
SYM = |
Fn-SYM = `

Got it, THANKS!

WiFi - UPDATE

CODE
modprobe acx

Try dmesg -n1 to stop the messages appearing on the console. Don't do iwconfig wlan0 rate 1M until after you've connected to the access point. You could try adding these to your /network/interfaces, e.g.:
CODE
wlan0 inet dhcp
  pre-up iwconfig wlan0 rate 11M
  post-up iwconfig wlan0 rate 1M

Added lines to interfaces file....

Then I try 'dhclient wlan0' ..... it looks for DHCPOFFERS but says:

CODE

No DHCPOFFERS received.
No working leases in persistent database - sleeping.

Also, what about 'iwconfig', why isn't it found??? Was it supposed to have been installed during original installation???

Any suggestions?

The phone should charge via any powered USB connection, although not as quickly as when connected to AC. Plug it in and type apm to see if it's charging.

Yes, it says charging....

Thanks!
ShiroiKuma
QUOTE(datathief @ Apr 16 2008, 11:13 PM) *
I had some apm problems when I installed a 3800mAh battery, but once I charged and discharged it completely (to re-calibrate the charging controller) it works fine.

My /proc/apm keeps showing -1% no matter what, which is strange. Do you get normal readings? Did you let it charge and discharge in a specific fashion, or just charged overnight and then left running something?
datathief
QUOTE(ShiroiKuma @ Apr 24 2008, 12:49 AM) *
My /proc/apm keeps showing -1% no matter what, which is strange. Do you get normal readings? Did you let it charge and discharge in a specific fashion, or just charged overnight and then left running something?

CODE
# cat /proc/apm
1.13 1.2 0x02 0x00 0x00 0x00 97% 744 min

I didn't do anything special, just charged it fully then let it discharge completely.
datathief
QUOTE(ArchiMark @ Apr 23 2008, 10:17 PM) *
OK, I get it now....however, I do think that it recognizes that I've plugged something in...at least I think so..

If you
CODE
dmesg | tail

after plugging it in, do you see anything that indicates it's recognised it?

Also, what about 'iwconfig', why isn't it found??? Was it supposed to have been installed during original installation???

Ohhhh... wireless-tools isn't installed. My fault. Are you able to connect to the internet using a USB cable and the instructions on the wiki, so you can install wireless-tools?
ShiroiKuma
QUOTE(datathief @ Apr 24 2008, 09:40 AM) *
QUOTE(ShiroiKuma @ Apr 24 2008, 12:49 AM) *

CODE
# cat /proc/apm
1.13 1.2 0x02 0x00 0x00 0x00 97% 744 min

I didn't do anything special, just charged it fully then let it discharge completely.

Mine:
CODE
$ apm

$ cat /proc/apm
1.13 1.2 0x02 0xff 0xff 0xff -1% -1 ?

What the?...
ShiroiKuma
QUOTE(datathief @ Apr 23 2008, 11:51 PM) *
QUOTE(ShiroiKuma @ Apr 23 2008, 06:23 PM) *

It's even worse for incoming muiti-part messages: they get completely mangled. They seem to have some sort of extra header. I think this is the last major missing feature - I'll see what I can do.

Great.

Regarding missing I'm currently implementing caller ID based on your script which queries a vcard vcf contacts file and displays the caller's name etc. in the whiptail dialog, almost finished, will be done later today probably. Will post.

Furthermore, today I also wanna get dialing from emacs working, i.e. use addressbook-el, with the same vcf file to work with contacts - add, edit, etc. and put in a keybinding that will dial the selected contact. Let's see if I can get that done today too.
datathief
I'm going to attempt to converge Titchy (for the Zaurus) and Titchy Mobile (for the Uni) into one Debian repository. For the first step I've got the Titchy X server working on the Uni. It's a bit of a hack (because it uses EABI packages from Angstrom even though Titchy was OABI) but it's working.

I'll upload it to the wiki (here).

(Has anyone else attempted to install XFCE? Was it always so huge? It won't fit on my 512MB SD card.)
ArchiMark
QUOTE(datathief @ Apr 24 2008, 12:52 AM) *
QUOTE(ArchiMark @ Apr 23 2008, 10:17 PM) *

If you
CODE
dmesg | tail

after plugging it in, do you see anything that indicates it's recognised it?

OK, I used my USB host cable that I use with my Zaurus and connected it to HTC and my HP USB Mini-hub with HP AC adapter to power it. Then connected up my Linksys 200M v.2.1 USB Ethernet stick to hub.

Here's what I get:

CODE
#dmesg | tail
[    64.530000] usbcore:  registered new interface driver usbserial
[    64.550000] drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial support registered for generic
[    64.570000] usbserial_generic 1-1:1.0: generic converter detected
[    64.590000] usb 1-1: generic converter now attached to ttyUSB0
[    64.590000] usbserial_generic 1-1:1.0: generic converter detected
[    64.610000] usb 1-1: generic converter now attached to ttyUSB1
[    64.610000] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial_generic
[    64.620000] drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial Driver core
[ 1533.420000] udc: USB reset
[ 1534.530000] ds2760-battery ds2760-battery.0: not enough power to charge

How does that look?

UPDATE

Hmmm...did 'ifconfig -a' and see 'lo' and 'usb0' listed.....

Then I unplugged host cable and plugged in regular USB cable to use to connect to my laptop...when I did that (and before connecting other end to laptop I got the following in console:

CODE
[  3077.570000] udc: USB reset
[  3078.020000] udc: USB reset
[  3078.210000] usb0: full speed config #1: 100mA, Ethernet Gadget, using CDC Ethernet Subset

So, is there any hope to get ethernet working???

Ohhhh... wireless-tools isn't installed. My fault. Are you able to connect to the internet using a USB cable and the instructions on the wiki, so you can install wireless-tools?

Had a feeling that was problem....just tried downloading wireless-tools from the yonggun webpage to my SD card inserted in my Fujitsu U810 and then installing it using dpkg on my HTC....it complained about dependency with 'libiw28', so wouldn't install it.....

Will try to get it installed using USB cable and your wiki instructions....

Thanks!
datathief
QUOTE(ShiroiKuma @ Apr 24 2008, 11:24 AM) *

Great.

I have multi-part messages working - but I've only tested with my own phone. To try to keep the code manageable, I've taken some shortcuts - specifically:
  • Unicode messages are split at 63 characters (instead of 70)
  • 7-bit ASCII messages are split at 144 characters (instead of 160)
I think that's a reasonable trade-off for getting multi-part messages working...

Uploading now.

(Are there any important features still missing from htcunid? What's standing in the way of a 1.0 release now?)
ArchiMark
OK, have setup USB Networking per wiki instructions using eth1 instead of eth0.....as that is my working ethernet connection on my laptop....

I've now got HTC connected to USB hub and USB hub connected to laptop and has USB ethernet device attached. I can get online OK with laptop, using eth1.

It seems like it is working OK from what I can tell....looked at info in 'ifconfig' and 'netstat' on both laptop and HTC....although only see 'lo' and 'usb0' listed on HTC.....

However, when I do 'apt-get update' after updating 'sources.list' I always get the error message below. I have tried several other sources too, so, don't think it's related to sources list....

CODE

Err http://http.debian.osuosl.org/debian lenny Release.gpg
   Temporary failure resolving 'http.debian.osuosl.org'
Reading package lists.... Done
W: Failed to fetch http://http.debian.osuosl.org/debian lenny Release.gpg
   Temporary failure resolving 'http.debian.osuosl.org'

W: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems

From past experience, this usually means that I'm not really connected to net, right?

Just tried pinging my laptop from HTC and I get:

CODE
#ping -c 5 192.168.3.1
connect: network is unreachable

I do see on my laptop in ifconfig; lo, eth0, eth1, sit0, usb0 interfaces....

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

datathief
QUOTE(ArchiMark @ Apr 24 2008, 07:10 PM) *
Just tried pinging my laptop from HTC and I get:

CODE
#ping -c 5 192.168.3.1
connect: network is unreachable

I do see on my laptop in ifconfig; lo, eth0, eth1, sit0, usb0 interfaces....

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I just followed the USB network instructions (for the first time ever!) and they worked. So I'm not sure how to help.

Check that you get the same results as me for these commands:

On the laptop:
CODE
# ifconfig usb0
usb0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr <a mac address>  
          inet addr:192.168.3.1  Bcast:192.168.3.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
<snip>

# cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

# iptables -L FORWARD
Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
target     prot opt source               destination        
ACCEPT     0    --  anywhere             anywhere

# iptables -t nat -L POSTROUTING
Chain POSTROUTING (policy ACCEPT)
MASQUERADE  0    --  192.168.3.0/24       anywhere

On the phone:
CODE
# ifconfig usb0
          inet addr:192.168.3.3  Bcast:192.168.3.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
<snip>

# route -n
Kernel IP routeing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
192.168.3.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 usb0
0.0.0.0         192.168.3.1     0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 usb0
ShiroiKuma
[*] Unicode messages are split at 63 characters (instead of 70)
[*] 7-bit ASCII messages are split at 144 characters (instead of 160)
[/list]I think that's a reasonable trade-off for getting multi-part messages working...

Probably not a significant drawback now...

I'll test shortly and report.

(Are there any important features still missing from htcunid? What's standing in the way of a 1.0 release now?)

I think the caller ID which brings up the callers name, if you have a vcard database. I'm almost finished, just two final bugs with getting it to display properly in your whiptail script.

Should be posted shortly - today.

That's what I think is missing from 1.0.

Also the reverse one, i.e. dialing from a vcard. I'm gonna implement this to work with emacs and addressbook-el, since that's what I care about. Generally though you could reword the script to let's say when "htcunid dial" is called without a number, whiptail would query the vcard database in the same logic that my script for caller ID does, and bring you a pop up menu of all names to call, you'd then enter the one to call, it'd query again for numbers in his vcard and then you'd select the number and call.

This is the last missing part I think to make it really phone like useable.
ArchiMark
QUOTE(datathief @ Apr 24 2008, 12:40 PM) *
I just followed the USB network instructions (for the first time ever!) and they worked. So I'm not sure how to help.

Check that you get the same results as me for these commands:

On the laptop:
CODE
# ifconfig usb0
          inet addr:192.168.3.1  Bcast:192.168.3.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
<snip>

# iptables -L FORWARD

On the phone:
CODE
# ifconfig usb0
          inet addr:192.168.3.3  Bcast:192.168.3.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
<snip>

# route -n
Kernel IP routeing table
192.168.3.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 usb0
0.0.0.0         192.168.3.1     0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 usb0

Thanks, datathief....here's what I see on my equipment, some differences, have also included eth1 since that's what I used in USB Networking setup and seems to me to be active.

Note differences in address in 'ifconfig' listing and nothing listing on HTC for 'route -n' for example....

On the laptop:
CODE
# ifconfig usb0
                  BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500 Metric:1
                  RX Packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
                  TX Packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
                  collisions:0 rxqueuelen:1000
                  RX bytes:0 (0.0b)  TX bytes:0 (0.0b)

eth1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr <a mac address>
                  inet addr:10.xxx.xx.74 Bcast:10.241.xx.255  Mask: 255.255.255.0
                  inet6 addr: fe80::21d:7eff:fe00:6857/64 Scope:Link
                  UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500 Metric:1
                  RX Packets:6095 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
                  TX Packets:476 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
                  RX bytes:1649656 (1.5 Mib)  TX bytes:33771 (32.9 Kib)

# iptables -L FORWARD

On the phone:
CODE
# ifconfig usb0
                  RX Packets:74 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
                  TX Packets:256 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
                  RX bytes:5448 (5.3 Kib)  TX bytes:67984 (66.3 Kib)

# route -n
Kernel IP routeing table

datathief
QUOTE(ShiroiKuma @ Apr 24 2008, 07:51 PM) *
Also the reverse one, i.e. dialing from a vcard. I'm gonna implement this to work with emacs and addressbook-el, since that's what I care about. Generally though you could reword the script to let's say when "htcunid dial" is called without a number, whiptail would query the vcard database in the same logic that my script for caller ID does, and bring you a pop up menu of all names to call, you'd then enter the one to call, it'd query again for numbers in his vcard and then you'd select the number and call.

I'll have a go once your caller-ID script is done.

When I have the time, I'll tidy up a few things (outputting "0" for a successful operation isn't very user-friendly), and call it 1.0. Then I can start on the new and innovative stuff:
  • Different ringtones for different times of day.
  • Check my e-mail for invitations, and be silent if I'm in a meeting.
That's all I can think of at the moment smile.gif
datathief
QUOTE(ArchiMark @ Apr 24 2008, 08:07 PM) *
On the laptop:
CODE
# ifconfig usb0

The interface is not marked "UP", and does not have an IP address. Try:
CODE
ifconfig usb0 192.168.3.1 up

On the phone:
CODE
# ifconfig usb0

The interface is marked "UP", but doesn't have an IP address. Try:
CODE
ifconfig usb0 192.168.3.3

CODE
# route -n
Kernel IP routeing table

No route. Try:
CODE
route add default gw 192.168.3.1
ArchiMark
QUOTE(datathief @ Apr 24 2008, 01:16 PM) *
QUOTE(ArchiMark @ Apr 24 2008, 08:07 PM) *
On the laptop:
CODE
# ifconfig usb0

The interface is not marked "UP", and does not have an IP address. Try:
CODE
ifconfig usb0 192.168.3.1 up

On the phone:
CODE
# ifconfig usb0

The interface is marked "UP", but doesn't have an IP address. Try:
CODE
ifconfig usb0 192.168.3.3

CODE
# route -n
Kernel IP routeing table

No route. Try:
CODE
route add default gw 192.168.3.1

OK, just did what you suggested on laptop and HTC....now my config looks like yours...

Also, tried pinging laptop from HTC and now I can ping OK.... tongue.gif

However, I still get same error message when trying 'apt-get'..... blink.gif

* UPDATE 2! *

Just checked sources list again and it seems OK...

At home now and tried to go online on laptop and now it connects OK again....maybe the fact that I shutdown and rebooted laptop did something??

So, tried 'apt-get' again on HTC and still no go....

Tried pinging laptop from HTC again and it pings OK....

Seems like I'm so close, but yet so far somehow......

huh.gif

????????

Thanks for any and all help!
ShiroiKuma
QUOTE(datathief @ Apr 24 2008, 10:12 PM) *
I'll have a go once your caller-ID script is done.

If you're online now, it's almost ready, it does the ID fine. Even when I call the whiptail script by hand, it works, just when I really send an sms and receive it on the Uni, it doesn't display the ID.

I could upload now, if you wanna check it out and try to find the error, I'm sure it's a little thing.

If not, I'll keep trying, I should find the culprit soon and then upload.
ShiroiKuma
QUOTE(datathief @ Apr 24 2008, 10:12 PM) *
That's all I can think of at the moment smile.gif

One more thing that I thought of - enable by an option passed to htcunid sendsms, now at least, to confirm message delivery. Or some setting to permanently request it or not.
datathief
QUOTE(ArchiMark @ Apr 24 2008, 08:27 PM) *
Just tried to go online using web browser on laptop and it doesn't connect now...

You probably just need to
CODE
ifdown eth1
ifup eth1
ShiroiKuma
Took two more hours and the callerid script is ready and working, will upload in a couple of minutes. smile.gif

EDIT: So the script is attached.

Unzip the file to your home directory. It'll create a .phone subdirectory there. For the sake of simplicity I've assumed your home is /root If the home directory is something else, then edit ~/.phone/callerid and ~/.phone/whiptail and right at the top change the declaration of HOMEDIR.

The .phone/whiptail is the modified whiptail script which needs to be symlinked into /etc/htcunid/event.d

You'll note that it has call logging too - that was because I didn't know about your logging and hacked it before too to do this logging to my liking. But that's not associated with caller id.

Now, the way it works. It expects a standard vcard file with your contacts in ~/.phone/addressbook.vcf If you have it some other place, change the location declaration in ~/.phone/callerid

Now, when a call is received or made, and an SMS received or made, it'll get the callers details and display them in the whiptail dialog. If you don't a contact with the number in your vcard addressbook, it displays "Unknown caller" as the caller.

Please test and report.

EDIT2: The scripts assume you have sed, grep, and gawk installed.

The script is in a couple of files as you see. I'm sure it could be merged, but I did it as a quick hack and wasn't sure specifically about the awk part and so, when merged into one.
ShiroiKuma
QUOTE(ShiroiKuma @ Apr 24 2008, 09:51 PM) *
[*] Unicode messages are split at 63 characters (instead of 70)
[*] 7-bit ASCII messages are split at 144 characters (instead of 160)
[/list]I think that's a reasonable trade-off for getting multi-part messages working...

I'll test shortly and report.

The multipart messages work without problems.
ArchiMark
QUOTE(datathief @ Apr 24 2008, 03:23 PM) *
QUOTE(ArchiMark @ Apr 24 2008, 08:27 PM) *
Just tried to go online using web browser on laptop and it doesn't connect now...

You probably just need to
CODE
ifdown eth1
ifup eth1

Thanks again, just tried that on laptop, but still no go, can't connect now....again, was working OK this morning....weird.....

Also, tried:

CODE
#dhclient eth1
No DHCPOFFERS received.
No working leases in persistent database - sleeping.

blink.gif

* UPDATE (1) 4/24/08 Evening *

Just checked sources list again and it seems OK...

At home now and tried to go online on laptop and now laptop connects OK again....

Maybe since I shutdown and rebooted laptop it did something??

So, tried 'apt-get' again on HTC and still no go....

Tried pinging laptop from HTC again and it pings OK....

* UPDATE (2) GOT IT WORKING!!!!!!!! *

1) I re-entered the USB Networking commands into my HTC

2) Since I'm at home, not office now, I changed the nameserver address in /etc/resolv.conf

3) Tried 'apt-get' and VOILA!!! got online.....

* UPDATE (3) GOT WIFI !!!!!!!! *

Got WiFi working and connected to my home WiFi network....

Now onto X!!!

laugh.gif

Geez......

Thanks again, datathief for ALL YOUR HELP!

IT IS TRULY APPRECIATED!!!!!!
webdork
Fisrt let me say, datathief... YOU ARE THE MAN!!!!!!!!!!!! I own a small network security company and I'm *nix freak, and have struggled with Angstrom on the Uni, so a full Debian comes as an absolute Godsend.

One quick question... I see that there is an xserver-titchy package on the neilandtheresa wiki... does it include xdm or do I need to install it from apt? (I'm loading the root filesystem as we speak).

On another note, the TI acx100 wifi driver truly stinks for the Uni, which I'm sure anyone else that has ran *nix on it knows. The developers of the driver port for the Uni don't seem to be involved anymore, so my question is, is there anyone else here who has the technical skillset, time and motivation to clean up the mem.c and cs.c portions of the wifi driver? There is a new acx driver out since the 2007 driver and I've been told that it could very well be possible to implement the mac80211 driver (allowing also for WPA capability).

This is my first port here and definitely not my last!!!

Thanks again biggrin.gif

EDIT: disregard the xdm part... my thread view only showed the first few posts ohmy.gif
webdork
Ok, so I've got icewm running but now I can't get the touchsreen calibrated. It appears to work as it will jump to the top right when I touch the screen in icewm.

ts_calibrate gives me ts_open: no such file...etc

Any clues on how to get it calibrated???

EDIT: If anyone can post their /etc/pointrecal I would be endebted!
ShiroiKuma
I've created the emacs vcard dialing and messaging frontend.

It's based on addressbook-el and provides comfortable contacts management, manipulation, all in the standard vcf vcard format, and from the addressbook you dial directly and send SMS's.

I'll be improving it further to provide SMS logs, history for contact etc.

So if you spot any problems, or have improvements, post here.

There are still currently a few shortcomings, residual from the original addressbook-el, i.e. when adding a telephone, you don't get a dialog for cell, home, or work, only get to chose cell. I'll fix these as I get to them, if you fix them sooner, post.

So, unpack the contents to /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/

Add (require 'keitai) to your .emacs file.

Then run it with M-x keitai

It, just like the callerid script above, assumes you have your vcard contacts file located in ~/.phone/addressbook.vcf If it's in some other place you can edit keitai.el and change it.

You'll see the list with all your contacts, documentation is scarce, but it's easy to understand how to use it. In the top menu, the keybindings are:

(define-key addrbook-summary-mode-map "n" 'addrbook-summary-next-contact)
(define-key addrbook-summary-mode-map "p" 'addrbook-summary-previous-contact)
(define-key addrbook-summary-mode-map (kbd "<down>") 'addrbook-summary-next-contact)
(define-key addrbook-summary-mode-map (kbd "<up>") 'addrbook-summary-previous-contact)
(define-key addrbook-summary-mode-map (kbd "RET") 'addrbook-summary-show-contact)
(define-key addrbook-summary-mode-map "b" 'addrbook-bury)
(define-key addrbook-summary-mode-map "q" 'addrbook-quit)
; (define-key addrbook-summary-mode-map "c" 'addrbook-call)
(define-key addrbook-summary-mode-map "a" 'addrbook-create-card)
(define-key addrbook-summary-mode-map "i" 'addrbook-import-vcard)
(define-key addrbook-summary-mode-map "x" 'addrbook-export-vcard)
(define-key addrbook-summary-mode-map "m" 'addrbook-send-email)
(define-key addrbook-summary-mode-map "s" 'addrbook-save-cards)

This is just a copy from the file, but you can see what the keybindings are, if you press s it will save the addressbook, if you hit a you'll add a new contact etc.

To view a contact, hit enter:

Here the keybindings are:

(define-key addrbook-contact-mode-map "c" 'addrbook-call)
(define-key addrbook-contact-mode-map "m" 'addrbook-sms)
(define-key addrbook-contact-mode-map "C" 'addrbook-create-card)
(define-key addrbook-contact-mode-map "D" 'addrbook-delete-card)
(define-key addrbook-contact-mode-map "n" 'addrbook-next-contact)
(define-key addrbook-contact-mode-map "p" 'addrbook-previous-contact)
(define-key addrbook-contact-mode-map "s" 'addrbook-save-cards)
(define-key addrbook-contact-mode-map "x" 'addrbook-export-card)
(define-key addrbook-contact-mode-map "b" 'addrbook-bury)
(define-key addrbook-contact-mode-map "q" 'addrbook-quit)
(define-key addrbook-contact-mode-map "e" 'addrbook-contact-edit-attribute)
(define-key addrbook-contact-mode-map (kbd "SPC") 'addrbook-contact-toggle-hide-show-group)
(define-key addrbook-contact-mode-map (kbd "TAB") 'addrbook-contact-cycle-groups)
(define-key addrbook-contact-mode-map "d" 'addrbook-contact-delete-attribute)
(define-key addrbook-contact-mode-map "a" 'addrbook-contact-add-attribute)
(define-key addrbook-contact-mode-map "t" 'addrbook-contact-add-attribute-type)
(define-key addrbook-contact-mode-map "r" 'addrbook-contact-remove-attribute-type)
(define-key addrbook-contact-mode-map "M" 'addrbook-send-email)
(define-key addrbook-contact-mode-map "H" 'addrbook-contact-hide-all-groups)
(define-key addrbook-contact-mode-map "S" 'addrbook-contact-show-all-groups)
(define-key addrbook-contact-mode-map "h" 'addrbook-summarize)

You can call and send SMS from here, currently not from the top menu.

To call, currently still, you need to move the cursor to the row where the number you wanna call is, then hit c
To send an SMS, move to the row with the number, and hit m, you'll be asked for the SMS text and then it'll send it.

To return to the top menu, to view the cards, hit h.

Please not, that currently when you add a new contact and save the addressbook with s then go back to the top menu, it doesn't update the view, so you need to close the addressbook buffers and run keitai again. This should be fixed in the future.
datathief
QUOTE(webdork @ Apr 25 2008, 02:15 AM) *
Ok, so I've got icewm running but now I can't get the touchsreen calibrated. It appears to work as it will jump to the top right when I touch the screen in icewm.

ts_calibrate gives me ts_open: no such file...etc

Any clues on how to get it calibrated???

EDIT: If anyone can post their /etc/pointrecal I would be endebted!

If you're using xserver-titchy, deleting /etc/ts.conf triggers recalibration when you next start X. Otherwise, try
CODE
TSLIB_TSDEVICE=/dev/input/event0 ts_calibrate
datathief
QUOTE(ShiroiKuma @ Apr 24 2008, 10:31 PM) *
Took two more hours and the callerid script is ready and working, will upload in a couple of minutes. smile.gif

EDIT: So the script is attached.

Nice. I'll take a look at it today.

The script is in a couple of files as you see. I'm sure it could be merged, but I did it as a quick hack and wasn't sure specifically about the awk part and so, when merged into one.

I might try to merge the caller ID bit into one script - that way it could be used by my call logging script, etc.
ShiroiKuma
QUOTE(datathief @ Apr 25 2008, 09:41 AM) *
I might try to merge the caller ID bit into one script - that way it could be used by my call logging script, etc.

I'm gonna focus on improving the keitai package for emacs, am excited about it's possibilities. It's really easy now to implement for one key keybindings different stats, i.e. you'll be looking at a contact's vcard, one key a quickly you'll have all messages received from him in front of you, or a full sms conversation, or the record of all calls, etc.

The possibilities are broad and it can be quite powerful. And yet simple, it'll stay a standard vcard file, so no import-export issues... Great.
ShiroiKuma
I have two questions, regarding suspend and mplayer.

You've said, datathief, you use screen's timeout feature to suspend, I've installed the ipaq-sleep package from the yonggun page, since I need it to timeout and sleep in x. The ipaq-sleep daemon is running, however it doesn't suspend. Anyone using this, or any other method?

Secondly, playing movies: I want to achieve fullscreen with the best quality movies possible. This has been discussed here at OESF many times, but perhaps in this case again it's peculiar to the Uni.

I've found out that installing mplayer from debian feeds breaks audio playback in it, concretely you cannot increase/decrease the volume. The mplayer package from yonggun's site works.

Now my thinking is, for best performance in X:

1. Unrotate with xrandr -o normal.
2. Overclock to the max.
3. Play a movie, for this it has to be reencoded rotated 90 degrees.

Unrotating would allow faster playback, since processing speed is not wasted on rotation.

Or even exiting X completely maybe a better alternative and using fbdev access.

So, regarding overclocking, is anyone using the overclockpy package from yonggun's site, or doing it any other way? Maybe just a shell script: overclock...play...overclock back down. What is the easiest way?

For playing a movie, what is the best mencoder encoding option? I'm experimenting with different ones.

So far I've been able to play 320x240 movies fine outside of X with fbdev, however these are not maximized to full screen.

640x480 might be possible with overclock and further tailor-made encodings, sometimes setting the audio sampling rate to 48000 helps, sometimes to 44100, I've even seen references to 22050. What's the best in this case, and further options?

If 640x480 is not possible, how to encode 320x240? And more importantly how to play them then, so that they are maximized and don't play as a small box in a maximized black frame?
ShiroiKuma
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Apr 16 2008, 07:20 PM) *
Hoho ... I am reading the chapter in the Service Manual (CONFIDENTIAL) on how to dismantle the device. It's so well-written and idiot-proof!
I've got a very cheap new replacement black case and keyboard (around ~EUR 15), together with a beefy batter, for my arriving 2nd MDA Pro. So it will look brand new and cool again. biggrin.gif

Zdevil, can you share with me the manual. I want to tighten the central screw I was told is in the main swivel, since mine is a little loose, and don't want to take it into service just for that. So would like to take a look at how to dismantle it.
wolfy
Hallo
Please help me huh.gif
I formated one sdcard 2Gb whith ext2 Lin partition for Debian
I download rootfs.tar.gz and i unpacked in my SD card:
I copy: haret.exe, zImage and default.txt in storage from mz htc universal
After I run haret.exe. Linux should boot but stoped in console mode and showme only:

htcuni:/#

Where I login whit root

Haw to start Debian Linux in my HTC Uni? This Debian not have a grafics interface? Please some help
ShiroiKuma
QUOTE(ShiroiKuma @ Apr 26 2008, 09:20 AM) *
If 640x480 is not possible, how to encode 320x240? And more importantly how to play them then, so that they are maximized and don't play as a small box in a maximized black frame?

So I'm experimenting with it, it seems sound is the biggest problem. I can play 640x480 movies without sound smooth with no glitches. So have been trying different settings for mencoder to decrease the sound taxation of the processor, so far they don't seem to be making a difference. I've tried with the three sampling rates, also have decreased the CBR to 64, but can't play the 640x480 movie. Also haven't found a fullscreen option for 320x240 so far.
ShiroiKuma
Also a problem with suspend. Unfortunatelly, all the outside keys, i.e. the camera, light, volume and mic are still active when suspended, therefore my Uni is almost always on anyway. When I suspend it, put it in the coat's pocket, one of these keys gets pressed and it comes on.

The internal keyboard however is not active while suspended, only the external keys and the direction pad under the display. How can I turn the outside keys off when suspended, with the exception of the power buton?
ArchiMark
QUOTE(wolfy @ Apr 26 2008, 11:05 AM) *
Hallo
Please help me huh.gif
I formated one sdcard 2Gb whith ext2 Lin partition for Debian
I download rootfs.tar.gz and i unpacked in my SD card:
I copy: haret.exe, zImage and default.txt in storage from mz htc universal
After I run haret.exe. Linux should boot but stoped in console mode and showme only:

htcuni:/#

Where I login whit root

Haw to start Debian Linux in my HTC Uni? This Debian not have a grafics interface? Please some help

Wolfy,

You should boot to a line where it has a login prompt. I type in 'root' to login....no password neede.

With this install, there is no graphics interface, just console.

On titchy mobile website, there is now a titchy xserver file you can download and install. Then you can install a window manager of your choice such as IceWM, XFCE4, etc....to have the graphic interface you are looking for.

HTH,

Mark
wolfy
OK, I understand, I installed xserver.deb from titchy
pkgt -i xserver.deb
now haw to start x?
is need to install ICEWM or KDE or someting? window manager?
haw to do this?
please explain me some details
webdork
QUOTE(datathief @ Apr 25 2008, 12:35 AM) *
If you're using xserver-titchy, deleting /etc/ts.conf triggers recalibration when you next start X. Otherwise, try
CODE
TSLIB_TSDEVICE=/dev/input/event0 ts_calibrate
Excellent... I just returned home from a trip this evening (and left my charger @ home while I was out of town). I'll give it a go as soon as I get my battery powered back up and report back. Once again @ Datathief - thanx!!!
datathief
QUOTE(ShiroiKuma @ Apr 26 2008, 06:36 PM) *
Also a problem with suspend. Unfortunatelly, all the outside keys, i.e. the camera, light, volume and mic are still active when suspended, therefore my Uni is almost always on anyway. When I suspend it, put it in the coat's pocket, one of these keys gets pressed and it comes on.

The internal keyboard however is not active while suspended, only the external keys and the direction pad under the display. How can I turn the outside keys off when suspended, with the exception of the power buton?

I've been trying to find a solution for this. I've used devmem2 to change the CPU registers that control what can wake it, but it seems the kernel resets them on suspend. We may need to patch the kernel.
ShiroiKuma
QUOTE(datathief @ Apr 27 2008, 10:34 AM) *
I've been trying to find a solution for this. I've used devmem2 to change the CPU registers that control what can wake it, but it seems the kernel resets them on suspend. We may need to patch the kernel.

Well the kernel should be rebuilt anyhow, it's on my next-steps list anyway, but likely I'm gonna get to that only in a matter of months, if I set-up the cross-dev etc. If you're planning to do it, please consider to include support for dm/cryptsetup into the kernel, so it supports LUKS encrypted volumes, especially on a mobile device this is somewhat important.
ArchiMark
QUOTE(wolfy @ Apr 26 2008, 10:11 PM) *
OK, I understand, I installed xserver.deb from titchy
pkgt -i xserver.deb
now haw to start x?

usually at prompt do:

CODE
#startx

is need to install ICEWM or KDE or someting? window manager?

Yes....

haw to do this?
please explain me some details

at prompt do:
CODE
#apt-get install icewm

wink.gif

You might want to check out basic Debian info on the OESF forums Debian section and the OESF wiki and on other Debian sites.... you are doing basic setup stuff that you would do for setting up Debian on any other computer more or less....

wolfy
OK thanks for your reply wink.gif
ShiroiKuma
Datathief, can you specify how you got pppd on demand setup.

I've never setup on-demand ppp, so am not sure of all that is necessary.

You've added demand to /etc/ppp/options? What else? Do you do:
CODE
route del default
route add default ppp0

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_dynaddr

How do you start pppd, with the command line in your wiki, or with pppd :127.0.0.1
datathief
QUOTE(ShiroiKuma @ Apr 27 2008, 01:17 PM) *
QUOTE(datathief @ Apr 27 2008, 10:34 AM) *

I've added an apmd script to the wiki (under 'Resume on Close'). It's a hack, like all the other uses of devmem2, but it works for me.

Well the kernel should be rebuilt anyhow, it's on my next-steps list anyway,

There are instructions at http://handhelds.org/moin/moin.cgi/UniversalKernel
datathief
QUOTE(ShiroiKuma @ Apr 27 2008, 04:36 PM) *
Datathief, can you specify how you got pppd on demand setup.

I've never setup on-demand ppp, so am not sure of all that is necessary.

You've added demand to /etc/ppp/options? What else? Do you do:
CODE
route del default
route add default ppp0

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_dynaddr

How do you start pppd, with the command line in your wiki, or with pppd :127.0.0.1

I use:
CODE
pppd pty 'socat - tcp:127.0.0.1:1702' noauth demand connect /bin/true defaultroute idle 60 holdoff 3

Adding "demand" doesn't work without "connect", so I use "connect /bin/true" which doesn't actually do anything. I used "idle 60" to close the connection after a minute; "holdoff 3" probably isn't needed.
ShiroiKuma
QUOTE(ShiroiKuma @ Apr 26 2008, 08:33 PM) *
So I'm experimenting with it, it seems sound is the biggest problem. I can play 640x480 movies without sound smooth with no glitches. So have been trying different settings for mencoder to decrease the sound taxation of the processor, so far they don't seem to be making a difference. I've tried with the three sampling rates, also have decreased the CBR to 64, but can't play the 640x480 movie. Also haven't found a fullscreen option for 320x240 so far.

I've achieved high quality high performance video playback at 640x480. Script details at http://sumoudou.org/index.php?cmd=%E7%9B%B...the%20Universal
ShiroiKuma
QUOTE(datathief @ Apr 24 2008, 09:04 PM) *

I think one more thing is missing still currently.

There should be a query command to inquire about the status of the connetion, i.e. if connected to the network, how strong etc. You know like sometimes you're in buildings where there is no signal etc., and if the phone is disconnected, you should see if it's because of a lack of network availability or something else.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.