Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Htc Universal
OESF Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Distro Support and Discussion > Debian
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
datathief
QUOTE(ShiroiKuma @ Apr 17 2008, 12:03 PM) *
You wouldn't remember which rootfs you used then, when you got started, would you?

I used debootstrap to build the rootfs, and the packages at http://yonggun.tistory.com/54 to get X working.
datathief
QUOTE(ShiroiKuma @ Apr 17 2008, 12:40 PM) *
QUOTE(datathief @ Apr 17 2008, 12:25 PM) *
I don't remember having difficulty getting X running, but it's been a while. Try setting TS_DEVICE=/dev/input/event0.

This had no effect apparently, perhaps I'll try ts_calibrate before X, to see if it makes any difference.

Is there any helpful output from the X server? Can you start Xfbdev from the command line?
CODE
TS_DEVICE=/dev/input/event0 Xfbdev & pid=$!; sleep 10s; pkill $pid

EDIT: I think it's TSLIB_TSDEVICE, not TS_DEVICE. Oops.
datathief
QUOTE(datathief @ Apr 17 2008, 01:14 PM) *
QUOTE(ShiroiKuma @ Apr 17 2008, 12:40 PM) *
QUOTE(datathief @ Apr 17 2008, 12:25 PM) *
I don't remember having difficulty getting X running, but it's been a while. Try setting TS_DEVICE=/dev/input/event0.

This had no effect apparently, perhaps I'll try ts_calibrate before X, to see if it makes any difference.

Is there any helpful output from the X server? Can you start Xfbdev from the command line?
CODE
TS_DEVICE=/dev/input/event0 Xfbdev & pid=$!; sleep 10s; pkill $pid

Hang on... I've taken a look in the packages from http://yonggun.tistory.com/54 and found where the touchscreen device is configured. This may not apply to the packages you're using, but anyway...
  • Edit /etc/profile.d/tslib.sh, and change /dev/input/ts0 to /dev/input/event0
  • Log out or reboot
  • Start X smile.gif
I think event0 is correct - if I do cat -v /dev/input/event0, I get output when I touch the screen.
desertrat
QUOTE(datathief @ Apr 16 2008, 09:13 PM) *
The SD card slot is occupied when running Linux (there's no way to install to the internal flash yet).
Does it do SDHC?
ShiroiKuma
QUOTE(datathief @ Apr 17 2008, 02:25 PM) *
[*]Edit /etc/profile.d/tslib.sh, and change /dev/input/ts0 to /dev/input/event0
[*]Log out or reboot
[*]Start X smile.gif
[/list]I think event0 is correct - if I do cat -v /dev/input/event0, I get output when I touch the screen.

Allright, didn't get as far as tslib.sh, but I copied /etc/ts.conf from the OpenMoko rootfs and then could run ts_calibrate and now the touchscreen works in X.

Now I'm trying to start X as a normal user, not as root.

When I run from a normal account created, I keep getting
CODE
$ startx
X: cannot stat /etc/X11/X (No such file or directory), aborting.
xinit: Server error.

So far haven't been able to fix this. Am searching on the web for pointers, but other than saying dpkg-reconfigure xorg or whatever not much. Any hints?
datathief
QUOTE(ShiroiKuma @ Apr 17 2008, 03:04 PM) *
CODE
$ startx
X: cannot stat /etc/X11/X (No such file or directory), aborting.
xinit: Server error.

So far haven't been able to fix this. Am searching on the web for pointers, but other than saying dpkg-reconfigure xorg or whatever not much. Any hints?

Try making a link to Xfbdev:
CODE
ln -s `which Xfbdev` /etc/X11/X
datathief
FYI, I've fixed a bug in htcunid (it crashed if the phone was suspended while GPRS was in use), and uploaded a proper htcunid.deb. I'll try to put together a deb of the other stuff (keymap, sound, and keyboard and power hacks).
ShiroiKuma
QUOTE(datathief @ Apr 17 2008, 05:06 PM) *
Try making a link to Xfbdev:
CODE
ln -s `which Xfbdev` /etc/X11/X

I kept thinking why it would require a symlink that root doesn't require when starting X. Of course, the answer is simple. Since the simple user didn't have the same path definitions as rot etc. So I copied over .profile and .xserverrc from /root directory.

However now there is again something that beats me. I get:
CODE
$ startx

Fatal server error:
LinuxInit: Server must be suid root

giving up.

And this though
CODE
# chmod u+s `which X`
went through with no problem.

What the? Currently cannot move on this.
ZDevil
So ShiroiKuma did you manage to get X running as root?
ShiroiKuma
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Apr 18 2008, 09:03 AM) *
So ShiroiKuma did you manage to get X running as root?

As root it runs no prob.

But I'd like to get it to run as a regular user. Now, the problem seems to be centered around /usr/bin/Xfbdev

If I suid it, then even trying to start X as root gives me the above error that Server has to be suid... What the...?

If I chmod it 755 again, then as root I can start and run no prob, sudo startx starts it, but the touchscreen doesn't work, starting as regular user gives me the above error?

I'm just about to check your thread on the clean configured tarball. Did you encounter problems there creating and running as normal user? Or did nobody do that? Doesn't seem smart to me to run the environment as root.
ShiroiKuma
OK, I seem to have a clearer understanding from reading the web. It seems if you don't use xdm or an alternative manager, you cannot start an X session as non-root. If so, then running icewm as non-root is not a possibility.

I am understanding it correctly?
ShiroiKuma
OK, this is clear, I'll get on with install an gdm or xdm and will see.

On another note, what I've noticed so far, datathief, how is the keyboard backlighting - do you have it working? As mine isn't backlit when in debian...
datathief
QUOTE(ShiroiKuma @ Apr 18 2008, 11:25 AM) *
OK, this is clear, I'll get on with install an gdm or xdm and will see.

On another note, what I've noticed so far, datathief, how is the keyboard backlighting - do you have it working? As mine isn't backlit when in debian...

Check /sys/class/leds. The following turns the keyboard backlight on:
CODE
echo 1 >"/sys/class/leds/htcuniversal:kbdbac/brightness"

I've bound a script to the backlight button to cycle through different keyboard and screen backlight settings. I'll upload it to my wiki later.
ShiroiKuma
QUOTE(datathief @ Apr 18 2008, 02:30 PM) *
I've bound a script to the backlight button to cycle through different keyboard and screen backlight settings. I'll upload it to my wiki later.

Thanks.

I see you're uploading a rootfs now. Since you mentioned you don't use X, what is in it? Does it include X? Returning to my question earlier on, it's of interest to me why you don't use X, out of performance reasons? And do you just work with screen and console or what?
datathief
QUOTE(ShiroiKuma @ Apr 18 2008, 02:03 PM) *
I see you're uploading a rootfs now. Since you mentioned you don't use X, what is in it? Does it include X? Returning to my question earlier on, it's of interest to me why you don't use X, out of performance reasons? And do you just work with screen and console or what?

There's no X in the rootfs - I wanted to keep it as small as possible. I'll put a page on my wiki for installing X.

I use screen, mutt (e-mail), finch (instant messaging) and links (web browsing). I've built a basic phone UI with whiptail (I'll upload that to the wiki too), and my ringtone is music from "Project X" played using mikmod.
ShiroiKuma
QUOTE(datathief @ Apr 18 2008, 03:26 PM) *
I use screen, mutt (e-mail), finch (instant messaging) and links (web browsing). I've built a basic phone UI with whiptail (I'll upload that to the wiki too), and my ringtone is music from "Project X" played using mikmod.

I've started testing your phone daemon just now. Just started inspecting /etc/htcunid/event.d/example

How do you set a ringtone? You've mentioned before there's no caller ID, but is it possible to elicit some visual feedback when a call is incoming.

I've confirmed it works, I've made a call and received one when I knew I was being called, however no feedback, no vibrate...

Do I have to rename the example file something and then edit it, haven't had a deep look at the structure of your deb so far. But just to get me started, so that I can pop the SIM in and do testing being sure in the meantime not to miss incoming calls and SMS.

Your help is much appreciated. Thanks a lot.

EDIT: OK, just saw your uploads on your site. Will go check these out. smile.gif
EDIT 2: Oops, too fast, uploads still not there.
EDIT 3: And there smile.gif
datathief
QUOTE(ShiroiKuma @ Apr 18 2008, 02:53 PM) *
QUOTE(datathief @ Apr 18 2008, 03:26 PM) *

I've started testing your phone daemon just now. Just started inspecting /etc/htcunid/event.d/example

How do you set a ringtone? You've mentioned before there's no caller ID, but is it possible to elicit some visual feedback when a call is incoming.

I've confirmed it works, I've made a call and received one when I knew I was being called, however no feedback, no vibrate...

Do I have to rename the example file something and then edit it, haven't had a deep look at the structure of your deb so far. But just to get me started, so that I can pop the SIM in and do testing being sure in the meantime not to miss incoming calls and SMS.

Your help is much appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Check that the example script is executable. Then you should get vibration when there's a call or SMS.

(I have working caller ID now, btw - I'll be uploading that tonight).

I've just uploaded the scripts I'm using here. Install them to /etc/htcunid/event.d, edit them (you probably prefer an mp3 ringtone), and make them executable.
ShiroiKuma
QUOTE(datathief @ Apr 18 2008, 04:01 PM) *
Check that the example script is executable. Then you should get vibration when there's a call or SMS.

I've just uploaded the scripts I'm using here. Install them to /etc/htcunid/event.d, edit them (you probably prefer an mp3 ringtone), and make them executable.

Yeah, that was the reason, I'll be testing it now.

BTW, do you login as root, or as a regular user. It seems if I login as a normal user, I can't start the htcunid service even through sudo.

Also, is there a special audio hack associated with sound. If I play a ringtone in mplayer and use the 0 and 9 keys to manipulate volume, it goes mute. Is volume even in other apps only to be managed by htcunid volume?
datathief
QUOTE(ShiroiKuma @ Apr 18 2008, 03:45 PM) *
BTW, do you login as root, or as a regular user. It seems if I login as a normal user, I can't start the htcunid service even through sudo.

Recent versions of htcunid.deb install to /etc/rcS.d, so it starts up at boot time.

Also, is there a special audio hack associated with sound. If I play a ringtone in mplayer and use the 0 and 9 keys to manipulate volume, it goes mute. Is volume even in other apps only to be managed by htcunid volume?

You should be able to use alsamixer (or any ALSA volume control) for this. If you have problems, you could try using ALSA's OSS emulation (mplayer -ao oss).
ZDevil
Perhaps it's not such a bad idea to set up and get everything working as root before figuring out things for normal users?
ShiroiKuma
QUOTE(datathief @ Apr 18 2008, 05:01 PM) *

Great, looking forward to that. I guess I'll wait before you put it up before checking how the ringtones can be personalized for different users based on caller ID.

Or have you already thought of that?
datathief
QUOTE(ShiroiKuma @ Apr 18 2008, 08:05 PM) *
QUOTE(datathief @ Apr 18 2008, 05:01 PM) *

Great, looking forward to that.

This is now available

I guess I'll wait before you put it up before checking how the ringtones can be personalized for different users based on caller ID.

Or have you already thought of that?

The caller ID is passed to the event.d scripts as $2. You could do something like:
CODE
case "$2" in
0123456789)
  # play custom ringtone
;;
0987654321)
  # play custom ringtone
;;
*)
  # play default ringtone
;;
esac
ShiroiKuma
OK, will try the above.

My comments so far:

SMS getting passed to whiptail doesn't work if extended character set (Unicode) is used. This is a big problem in languages that use them, i.e. Russian, Czech etc. If an SMS with Unicode characters is received, it is displayed as empty.

After making a call, touchtones are not possible. Thus when you dial into let's say a mailbox, or a bank automatized system, you cannot enter numbers or pounds etc.

I'm currently away from my Z, but perhaps the command to revigorate the keyboard after suspend should be executed as part of the restore after suspend sequence. Since I don't have the Z to inspect, don't remember where the shellscripts to be carried out after restore went...

Didn't check so far, but did you include the wifi powerdown to save energy into the init scripts to be run after boot?

EDIT: Installed htcunid-0.3 and the Unicode SMS missing is partially solved, I think. It comes as garbled text, but that's evidently because whiptail doesn't use a Unicode font. This is an improvement though. Anyhow, an archiving option needs to be built into the SMS receiption. I.e. not only display the SMS received and number it came from, but also echo it >> to a default SMS archive. If you're not working on it, I'll come up with a temporary hack.

The same goes for calls. There needs to be a call register. I'm just about to check the caller ID in htcunid-0.3, but again, a simple echo the number and time >> to a call-log file should do.

EDIT2: When I added a quick hack to whiptail shellscript to >> the SMS text to a log-sms.txt file, it seems it doesn't save the text in Unicode. Can't tell for sure, since I haven't installed a UTF-8 compliant terminal, but seems to be the case. Will report back later.

EDIT3: The htcunid-0.3 package gives me problems when accepting a call. The call ends in a couple of seconds and the phone freezes.

EDIT4: I'm thinking it's not associated with the package itself, rather a config of zdevil's rootfs I used originally. Maybe it might be better to install from datathiefs rootfs. I vaguely recall when installing X under debian on the Z the need to take packages from Aangstroem, like xserver-kdrive etc. Datathief, do you have a brief set of steps to take to install working X, since I can't consult with the Z.
datathief
QUOTE(ShiroiKuma @ Apr 18 2008, 11:36 PM) *
SMS getting passed to whiptail doesn't work if extended character set (Unicode) is used. This is a big problem in languages that use them, i.e. Russian, Czech etc. If an SMS with Unicode characters is received, it is displayed as empty.

The function to decode an SMS doesn't handle anything more than 7-bit ASCII yet.

After making a call, touchtones are not possible. Thus when you dial into let's say a mailbox, or a bank automatized system, you cannot enter numbers or pounds etc.

True. I can add a function to htcunid to do this, but I don't have any ideas for a UI.

I'm currently away from my Z, but perhaps the command to revigorate the keyboard after suspend should be executed as part of the restore after suspend sequence. Since I don't have the Z to inspect, don't remember where the shellscripts to be carried out after restore went...

Do you have apmd installed? This works for me (see /etc/apm/event.d/htcuni-keyboard).

Didn't check so far, but did you include the wifi powerdown to save energy into the init scripts to be run after boot?

Yes - this is done by /etc/init.d/htcuni-wifipower.

EDIT: Installed htcunid-0.3 and the Unicode SMS missing is partially solved, I think. It comes as garbled text, but that's evidently because whiptail doesn't use a Unicode font. This is an improvement though.

See above.

Anyhow, an archiving option needs to be built into the SMS receiption. I.e. not only display the SMS received and number it came from, but also echo it >> to a default SMS archive. If you're not working on it, I'll come up with a temporary hack. The same goes for calls. There needs to be a call register. I'm just about to check the caller ID in htcunid-0.3, but again, a simple echo the number and time >> to a call-log file should do.

The default example script does this. A better solution would involve /var/spool and use mailbox format. Feel free to upload scripts to the wiki.

EDIT2: When I added a quick hack to whiptail shellscript to >> the SMS text to a log-sms.txt file, it seems it doesn't save the text in Unicode. Can't tell for sure, since I haven't installed a UTF-8 compliant terminal, but seems to be the case. Will report back later.

Again, see above.

EDIT3: The htcunid-0.3 package gives me problems when accepting a call. The call ends in a couple of seconds and the phone freezes.

I'll look into this. Could be a problem with the whiptail script.

EDIT4: I'm thinking it's not associated with the package itself, rather a config of zdevil's rootfs I used originally. Maybe it might be better to install from datathiefs rootfs. I vaguely recall when installing X under debian on the Z the need to take packages from Aangstroem, like xserver-kdrive etc. Datathief, do you have a brief set of steps to take to install working X, since I can't consult with the Z.

I used the packages from http://yonggun.tistory.com/54
ShiroiKuma
QUOTE(datathief @ Apr 19 2008, 12:16 PM) *
The function to decode an SMS doesn't handle anything more than 7-bit ASCII yet.

How hard is UTF-8 to implement? This is one thing pretty import for me due to using UTF-8 text a lot, but beyond my scope of contribution...

True. I can add a function to htcunid to do this, but I don't have any ideas for a UI.

I think at least in this stage a UI isn't necessary at all. One can just type on the hardware keyboard and if it'll sent DTMF tones it's fine.

Do you have apmd installed? This works for me (see /etc/apm/event.d/htcuni-keyboard).

It was probably a problem of zdevil's rootfs and my modifying it. I'm currently trying with your simple rootfs.

Anyhow, an archiving option needs to be built into the SMS receiption. I.e. not only display the SMS received and number it came from, but also echo it >> to a default SMS archive. If you're not working on it, I'll come up with a temporary hack. The same goes for calls. There needs to be a call register. I'm just about to check the caller ID in htcunid-0.3, but again, a simple echo the number and time >> to a call-log file should do.

The default example script does this. A better solution would involve /var/spool and use mailbox format. Feel free to upload scripts to the wiki.

I'll take a look at the example and see what it does. I wrote a couple of simple lines yesterday, before my rootfs stopped working with htcunid, but I liked their functionality, basically plain text files - sms-log calls-missed calls-accepted calls-made with timestamps and caller ids. If it's different than your example, I'll add it.

I'll let you know in a little while if there's a prob with it, since I've started clean with your rootfs.

I used the packages from http://yonggun.tistory.com/54

Thanks.
datathief
QUOTE(ShiroiKuma @ Apr 19 2008, 02:19 PM) *
How hard is UTF-8 to implement? This is one thing pretty import for me due to using UTF-8 text a lot, but beyond my scope of contribution...

Should be easy to decode. I've never written python code to handle UTF-8, though, so I'll need to read up on that.

One can just type on the hardware keyboard and if it'll sent DTMF tones it's fine.

I've found out how to send DTMF, so I can add a new command to the next version of htcunid. You can do it with the current version by using AT commands:
CODE
htcunid atcmd "AT+VTS=<digit>"

You can only enter one digit at a time this way. If you can work out a way to do this during a call, please do. We're reaching the limits of what whiptail can do. Probably something like:
CODE
whiptail --infobox "In call to $2" 20 50
while [ "$digit" != "^[" ]; do
  # Get 1 keypress
  read -n 1 digit
  # Convert esc (hangup key) to "^[" so it's easier to handle
  digit=`echo "$digit" | cat -v`
  case "$digit" in
  1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|0|"*"|"#")
    htcunid atcmd "AT+VTS=$digit"
;;
  esac
done

Edit: This works (albeit slowly - I may need to send some more AT commands to set the speed). I've updated the whiptail script on the wiki.

If you don't already know: you can get out of the "In a call..." screen without ending the call by pressing alt+left (alt is the "internet explorer" key).
danboid
Oh Wow!

Big congrats datathief on some legendary hacking - getting Debian working well on the Uni - many of us on OESF have speculated on the joy of fully functional Linux on the Uni for years now so its great to see it finally happen - I've been getting all excited reading this thread biggrin.gif

Problem for me now is what should I spend my limited cash on - a HTC uni or should I wait for the Pandora? I really quite fancy Pandoras TV-out, better graphics, CPU and display but I would rather it dumped the analogue sticks or something to make way for our all important TAB, ALT, CTRL and ESC keys we all need to use a terminal properly, so this for me is an advantage of the Z over Pandora- full set of keys. Uni also has a better keyboard than Pandora (if the current renderings closely approx. the final design of course) and I like that it has an integrated phone and camera- two cool features missing on Pandora. I'd rather a better keyboard than a joypad as I'm more interested in a pocket Linux/Haiku machine than a gaming device.

Can you get USB HOST under HTC Titchy?

What is mplayer performance like on HTC versus mplayer on the Z?

How well does the uni overclock? Be interested to see some benchmarks versus a fully overclocked SL-3000/3100

I think Debian on the Uni represents the arrival of the 'digital convergance' the tech press/ industry has been talking about since the Amiga days- there's a lot of Pandora nay-sayers esp. on these boards but I think that and similar devices will take this phenomenon mainstream sooner than you think.
datathief
QUOTE(danboid @ Apr 19 2008, 04:32 PM) *
Oh Wow!

Big congrats datathief on some legendary hacking - getting Debian working well on the Uni - many of us on OESF have speculated on the joy of fully functional Linux on the Uni for years now so its great to see it finally happen - I've been getting all excited reading this thread biggrin.gif

I can only take credit for bringing all the bits together (kernel from handhelds.org, Debian's new armel port, and lots of documentation on AT commands).

Problem for me now is what should I spend my limited cash on - a HTC uni or should I wait for the Pandora? I really quite fancy Pandoras TV-out, better graphics, CPU and display but I would rather it dumped the analogue sticks or something to make way for our all important TAB, ALT, CTRL and ESC keys we all need to use a terminal properly, so this for me is an advantage of the Z over Pandora- full set of keys. Uni also has a better keyboard than Pandora (if the current renderings closely approx. the final design of course) and I like that it has an integrated phone and camera- two cool features missing on Pandora. I'd rather a better keyboard than a joypad as I'm more interested in a pocket Linux/Haiku machine than a gaming device.

I just like telling people my ringtone is a shell script. wink.gif

Can you get USB HOST under HTC Titchy?

As far as I know the hardware doesn't support it (an unconnected pin somewhere IIRC).

What is mplayer performance like on HTC versus mplayer on the Z?

I haven't a clue. Maybe later this weekend. I'm sure I've read somewhere that the Uni's video performance is poor, though.

How well does the uni overclock? Be interested to see some benchmarks versus a fully overclocked SL-3000/3100

CODE
# cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/cpuinfo_max_freq
ShiroiKuma
QUOTE(ShiroiKuma @ Apr 19 2008, 04:19 PM) *

I'll let you know in a little while if there's a prob with it, since I've started clean with your rootfs.

There is no problem with the deb, it works fine. It was associated with using the other rootfs.
ShiroiKuma
QUOTE(datathief @ Apr 19 2008, 05:50 PM) *
QUOTE(ShiroiKuma @ Apr 19 2008, 02:19 PM) *

Should be easy to decode. I've never written python code to handle UTF-8, though, so I'll need to read up on that.

That's great news, if you can get that done. BTW, it should go both ways, decode and encode - for sending UTF-8 SMS messages.

This works (albeit slowly - I may need to send some more AT commands to set the speed). I've updated the whiptail script on the wiki.

I'll test how it reacts.

Regarding your SMS and calls logging, I didn't look in /root/ originally, that's why didn't notice you had it going on. Essentially, my hacks were almost identical.

However, I've modified it for myself a bit, and propose the same modification to your scripts: basically have 5 logs: log-sms-received.txt log-sms-sent.txt log-calls-received.txt log-calls-made.txt log-calls-missed.txt

In the example script, you carry out logging for sms-received in the receivesms section, calls-made in the dial section, calls-received in the answer section.

In the whiptail script, you carry out logging for calls-missed in the ring2 section, whereby you have your if definition, after which I add an else section:
CODE
else
htcunid hangup
echo "`date` $2" >> $LOGCALLSMISSED
openvt -w -s -- whiptail --clear --fb --msgbox "`date`, missed call from $2"
htcunid hangup
fi

Obviously, you define LOGCALLSMISSED at the top of the script.

This way it also has the benefit of popping up an info box that you see when you return to the phone, that you've missed a call(s)...

And to carry out logging for sms-sent, I just added an sms script:
CODE
LOGSMSENT=...wherever...
echo "`date` $*"
htcunid sendsms $*

Other comments so far:

I have problems with suspend, when suspending with
CODE
echo mem > /sys/power/state
it's fine, however as soon as you close the lid, it comes back on. Apparently something triggers a key event or what upon close and it brings it out of suspend?

Do you have the same behavior?

Finally, I can't find the backlight incremental change scripts you mentioned earlier, anywhere in your wiki...

Later.
datathief
QUOTE(ShiroiKuma @ Apr 19 2008, 07:03 PM) *
In the whiptail script, you carry out logging for calls-missed in the ring2 section ...

I'd like to build a logging script separate from the whiptail script (at some time in the future someone's going to insist on an X-based UI smile.gif ), but I imagine it will be difficult.

I have problems with suspend, when suspending with
CODE
echo mem > /sys/power/state
it's fine, however as soon as you close the lid, it comes back on. Apparently something triggers a key event or what upon close and it brings it out of suspend?

Yes, that is annoying - opening and closing the lid triggers an interrupt. I'll try to find out how to turn the interrupt off.

I use screen's "idle" setting to run apm --suspend after 2 minutes with no keyboard activity - so I can close the lid and it will suspend later. I'm sure there's a way to do the same thing in X.

Finally, I can't find the backlight incremental change scripts you mentioned earlier, anywhere in your wiki...

Oops. I'll put it up now.
datathief

I've uploaded a Unicode-capable htcunid. It works for me (although whiptail doesn't always cope). Let me know if it works for you...
Update: The problem with whiptail seems to be that the new VT created by openvt doesn't have UTF8 support. If I change the script to run unicode_start, I get the correct characters in the SMS, but the dialog border is broken. I'm looking into it.
ShiroiKuma
QUOTE(datathief @ Apr 20 2008, 03:58 AM) *

I've uploaded a Unicode-capable htcunid. It works for me (although whiptail doesn't always cope). Let me know if it works for you...
Update: The problem with whiptail seems to be that the new VT created by openvt doesn't have UTF8 support. If I change the script to run unicode_start, I get the correct characters in the SMS, but the dialog border is broken. I'm looking into it.

Yeah, noticed the same. However, the reception works fine in terms of the characters being decoded. They are just not displayed in the dialog properly. The characters received are in UTF-8 and fine, I've confirmed by resending back.

There is a little bug with sending SMS, whereby it doesn't send the correct number of bytes it seems. I.e. if you send an SMS in UTF-8, it sends only one byte per character, i.e. the total byte count of the message sent is the number of characters, whereas for each Unicode character you should send 2 bytes. This results in the message to be truncated by exactly as many bytes as many extended characters are present in the SMS.
datathief
QUOTE(ShiroiKuma @ Apr 20 2008, 11:33 AM) *
There is a little bug with sending SMS, whereby it doesn't send the correct number of bytes it seems. I.e. if you send an SMS in UTF-8, it sends only one byte per character, i.e. the total byte count of the message sent is the number of characters, whereas for each Unicode character you should send 2 bytes. This results in the message to be truncated by exactly as many bytes as many extended characters are present in the SMS.

Yes, I see that now. The SMS spec is a bit confusing. blink.gif

I''ve (hopefully) fixed it, and uploaded to the wiki.
ShiroiKuma
Will test soon.

BTW, I've changed your wiki entry for USB connection a bit, as the first line should read:
CODE
ifconfig usb0 192.168.3.1

ShiroiKuma
QUOTE(datathief @ Apr 20 2008, 03:52 PM) *

Unfortunately, still the same. Still truncates the sent SMS.
ShiroiKuma
Additional issues with X
I've installed X according to http://yonggun.tistory.com/54 and applied the "2. Use your normal user under X" hack on http://www.oesf.org/index.php?title=1-For_Debian_EABI

Now, the situation is as follows, if I don't enable xdm via /etc/init.d/, first login as root, then /etc/init.d/xdm start, xdm starts, I can login as a regular use fine and the system works.

If I enable xdm via /etc/init.d/, even if I log in as root or the regular user in the xdm login, X starts, but the display doesn't react to touch. It seems xdm doesn't read the .xinitrc from either /root or /home/theuser when started this way and so TSLIB_TSDEVICE is not set among others.

How to solve this?
ShiroiKuma
Accessing other SD partitions
Is anyone successfull in accessing other SD partitions beyond the first one from which debian boots?

I'd like to have a separate swap partition, to be enabled sometimes when needed. Swap partition, because then the SD corruption from frequent access should be limited to it and not corrupt the rootfs. And swap is needed, for instance without it, I cannot generate any locales with dpkg-reconfigure locales, or memory intensive apps will not run.

However when I try to mount the 2nd partition I get
CODE
mount: special device /dev/sda2 does not exist
datathief
QUOTE(ShiroiKuma @ Apr 20 2008, 09:40 PM) *
QUOTE(datathief @ Apr 20 2008, 03:52 PM) *

Unfortunately, still the same. Still truncates the sent SMS.

Sorry - the way I was testing it wasn't actually sending Unicode messages. I've uploaded another one.
datathief
QUOTE(ShiroiKuma @ Apr 21 2008, 05:46 AM) *
However when I try to mount the 2nd partition I get
CODE
mount: special device /dev/sda2 does not exist

I think you want /dev/mmcblk0p2
ShiroiKuma
QUOTE(datathief @ Apr 21 2008, 09:56 AM) *
I think you want /dev/mmcblk0p2

Doh... smile.gif

For some reason I kept thinking I have to pass two partitions in the default.txt to haret, but it didn't occur to me to try this within linux...

Will test the SMS UTF-8 sending capability shortly...

EDIT 1: The SMS get sent fine now in UTF-8.
ArchiMark
QUOTE(ShiroiKuma @ Apr 20 2008, 10:42 PM) *
Additional issues with X
I've installed X according to http://yonggun.tistory.com/54 and applied the "2. Use your normal user under X" hack on http://www.oesf.org/index.php?title=1-For_Debian_EABI

Now, the situation is as follows, if I don't enable xdm via /etc/init.d/, first login as root, then /etc/init.d/xdm start, xdm starts, I can login as a regular use fine and the system works.

If I enable xdm via /etc/init.d/, even if I log in as root or the regular user in the xdm login, X starts, but the display doesn't react to touch. It seems xdm doesn't read the .xinitrc from either /root or /home/theuser when started this way and so TSLIB_TSDEVICE is not set among others.

How to solve this?

Hmmm....very interesting ShiroiKuma!....

As this is what is happening to me on my 3200 per my other thread regarding "XFCE4 with EABI?"

....Unfortunately, I don't have a solution yet....but seems pretty clear that there's something not right with xdm setup as my touchscreen was working OK before I installed xdm.....

Hopefully, either here or on my specific thread this problem will get solved....

Mark

PS. Meanwhile, if all goes well, I should have a HTC Universal to play with tomorrow.....

wink.gif
ShiroiKuma
Yeah, something weird is happening, it seems xdm, if it's started automatically, doesn't initialize properly. I've determined for sure for instance that the TSLIB_TSDEVICE variable is not set, so it doesn't read the config as when started after a login. However, even when I declared the variable in a script that starts xdm itself, the display still doesn't respond...

Hopefully, we'll get it. Definitely if you solve it with a 3200 and XFCE, be sure to let this thread know too...
datathief
QUOTE(ShiroiKuma @ Apr 20 2008, 11:33 AM) *
QUOTE(datathief @ Apr 20 2008, 03:58 AM) *

Yeah, noticed the same. However, the reception works fine in terms of the characters being decoded. They are just not displayed in the dialog properly. The characters received are in UTF-8 and fine, I've confirmed by resending back.

I haven't been able to fix the broken dialog border, but the whiptail script now at least displays Unicode.
ShiroiKuma
QUOTE(datathief @ Apr 22 2008, 11:29 AM) *
I haven't been able to fix the broken dialog border, but the whiptail script now at least displays Unicode.

Is this in 0.6? Because mine doesn't have the dialog border broken and it doesn't display Unicode, i.e. it displays the garbled characters, and saves it properly as UTF-8, so then in a UTF-8 capable prog you can view it.

Is this what you mean?
datathief
QUOTE(ShiroiKuma @ Apr 22 2008, 09:39 AM) *
QUOTE(datathief @ Apr 22 2008, 11:29 AM) *

Is this in 0.6? Because mine doesn't have the dialog border broken and it doesn't display Unicode, i.e. it displays the garbled characters, and saves it properly as UTF-8, so then in a UTF-8 capable prog you can view it.

Is this what you mean?

Sorry, I wasn't very clear. I've uploaded a new version of the whiptail script that runs unicode_start before displaying the dialog, so (assuming your console font has the necessary characters) it should display unicode messages.
ShiroiKuma
QUOTE(datathief @ Apr 22 2008, 12:09 PM) *
Sorry, I wasn't very clear. I've uploaded a new version of the whiptail script that runs unicode_start before displaying the dialog, so (assuming your console font has the necessary characters) it should display unicode messages.

OK, I'll have to search for a good UTF-8 console font, do you know of any?

On another note, can you dial your mailbox? It seems if the number isn't in full international format, it'll just not dial. I.e. I need to call *99 to get into the mailbox, and all I keep getting is something like a busy signal...
datathief
QUOTE(ShiroiKuma @ Apr 22 2008, 03:34 PM) *
OK, I'll have to search for a good UTF-8 console font, do you know of any?

I'm using a font from the console-terminus package.

On another note, can you dial your mailbox? It seems if the number isn't in full international format, it'll just not dial. I.e. I need to call *99 to get into the mailbox, and all I keep getting is something like a busy signal...

You're right. I've hardcoded a "+" at the beginning of the dialled number. Handling different types of numbers consistently for calls and SMS needs a little thought - I'll try to fix it tonight or tomorrow. For now, you could edit /usr/bin/htcunid to remove the "+" in "ATD+". Alternatively, can you get to your mailbox by dialling your own number?

Update: New version of htcunid. You can now dial national and network-specific numbers. You must now prepend international numbers with "+".
ArchiMark
Well...received my Universal today....

Just tried installing Debian, per webpage instructions....ran Haret and here's what I get near the end of the displayed text:

CODE
[     2.  420001]  mmcblk0: p1
[     6.  800000] EXT2-fs warning: mounting unchecked fs, running e2fsck is recommended
[     6.  810000] VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem).
[     6.  820000] Freeing init memory: 96k
[     6.  840000] Warning: unable to open initial console.
[     6.  900000] Kernel panic - not syncing: no init found. Try passing init=option to kernel.

Any suggestions???????

Thanks!

Mark
Who always seems to have problems when installing stuff.... wink.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.