Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Htc Universal
OESF Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Distro Support and Discussion > Debian
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
kitor
WiFi was working OK for me.. until one of ifdown commands. Currently when I;m trying to connect with my network i got in console:

acx: trying to wake up acx
acx: BUG: no free txdesc left

or

wlan1: less than 5 minutes since last radio recalibration, not recalibrating (maybe card is too hot?)

or something with question about mac filtering.

My network is open (no hidden SSID, no mac fitering, dynamic DHCP, router is DLink DI614+ if it's neccesary). WinMobile is connecting without problem. So what is wrong under titchy?
IIZIIm
wlan1: less than 5 minutes since last radio recalibration, not recalibrating (maybe card is too hot?)

or something with question about mac filtering.

My network is open (no hidden SSID, no mac fitering, dynamic DHCP, router is DLink DI614+ if it's neccesary). WinMobile is connecting without problem. So what is wrong under titchy?

driver is unstable, believe it.

you editet /etc/network/interfaces?
modprobed htcuniversal-acx and acx? rest is general linux topic.
kitor
yes, i edited interfaces and modprobed acx'es

when booting os i have something like : acx: net device wlan0 (...) but device is wlan1 (wlan0 doesn't exist)

i know that driver is unstable but it was connecting ok, sometimes dropping connection, nothing like this now

i try to connect to other network tomorrow (i had some problems with my wifi network...)

datathief
Does anyone have an iptables module? Would be handy for sharing GPRS internet over a USB connection.
ShiroiKuma
Firefox 3 (iceweasel) is in the Debian armel unstable repository already. It runs fine.
ShiroiKuma
QUOTE(datathief @ Jun 19 2008, 04:30 PM) *
Uploaded a new version of titchy-phone-daemon. If an MMS message is received, it will be treated as SMS, but the URL of the MMS will be passed to the event.d scripts as $4. What happens next is someone else's problem, I'm afraid, but I think downloading and decoding a simple picture message should be quite simple.
Edit: This project can apparently encode, decode and send MMS.

How about sending MMS, at least just text without attachments, since sometimes, esp. when abroad, it's much cheaper to send MMS than SMS?
ShiroiKuma
QUOTE(datathief @ Jun 12 2008, 06:52 PM) *
A request for comments:

I'm planning to add the following to the titchy-phoneui-shiny clock screen:[list]
Any comments/requests?

Enable/disable mute mode while in a call, necessary for business conference calls when you're in a noisy environment.
datathief
QUOTE(ShiroiKuma @ Jul 8 2008, 03:12 PM) *
QUOTE(datathief @ Jun 19 2008, 04:30 PM) *
Uploaded a new version of titchy-phone-daemon. If an MMS message is received, it will be treated as SMS, but the URL of the MMS will be passed to the event.d scripts as $4. What happens next is someone else's problem, I'm afraid, but I think downloading and decoding a simple picture message should be quite simple.
Edit: This project can apparently encode, decode and send MMS.

How about sending MMS, at least just text without attachments, since sometimes, esp. when abroad, it's much cheaper to send MMS than SMS?

The python-mms project (linked to above) comes with an example script to send an MMS. I haven't tested it.
datathief
QUOTE(ShiroiKuma @ Jul 8 2008, 03:15 PM) *
QUOTE(datathief @ Jun 12 2008, 06:52 PM) *
A request for comments:

I'm planning to add the following to the titchy-phoneui-shiny clock screen:[list]
Any comments/requests?

Enable/disable mute mode while in a call, necessary for business conference calls when you're in a noisy environment.

In what free time I've had, I've been rewriting titchy-phoneui-shiny, to fix some bugs and make it more flexible and themable. An alternative font can be set in /etc/default/titchy-phoneui-shiny; it uses about 2M less RAM; dialling is easier, too (just pop open the UI with the video-call key, and dial).

As proof-of-concept, I made a new theme last night: titchy-phoneui-glossy

Anyway, the new design should make it much easier to add features like this, which I'll start working on now.
ShiroiKuma
QUOTE(datathief @ Jul 16 2008, 12:46 PM) *
In what free time I've had, I've been rewriting titchy-phoneui-shiny, to fix some bugs and make it more flexible and themable. An alternative font can be set in /etc/default/titchy-phoneui-shiny; it uses about 2M less RAM; dialling is easier, too (just pop open the UI with the video-call key, and dial).

As proof-of-concept, I made a new theme last night: titchy-phoneui-glossy

Anyway, the new design should make it much easier to add features like this, which I'll start working on now.

I've just upgraded to it, installed titchy-phoneui-glossy also, and started testing just now...

It seems there are some problems with the new packages. When the shiny frontend is enabled, it doesn't come up upon the press of the video dial call, a black terminal briefly flashes and then it goes back to wherever I was. Though the shiny dialog does come up when a call comes in.

Alternatively, the glossy frontend doesn't seem to read in the phonebook, as it's empty, though when a call comes in it uses the caller id to identify it...

That's my experience so far...
datathief
QUOTE(ShiroiKuma @ Jul 17 2008, 04:31 PM) *
It seems there are some problems with the new packages. When the shiny frontend is enabled, it doesn't come up upon the press of the video dial call, a black terminal briefly flashes and then it goes back to wherever I was. Though the shiny dialog does come up when a call comes in.

Alternatively, the glossy frontend doesn't seem to read in the phonebook, as it's empty, though when a call comes in it uses the caller id to identify it...

That's my experience so far...

I can't reproduce these problems, so I've uploaded a new version with some debugging code. Add this to /etc/default/titchy-phoneui-shiny:
CODE
DEBUG=True

Install the new version, and see if anything is written to /var/log/titchy-phoneui-shiny when a problem occurs.
ShiroiKuma
QUOTE(datathief @ Jul 18 2008, 12:27 AM) *
I can't reproduce these problems, so I've uploaded a new version with some debugging code. Add this to /etc/default/titchy-phoneui-shiny:

With just a clean install of your rootfs, change of apt sources list to sid and apt-get dist-upgrade, the phoneui-shiny exhibits the above behavior. This is without the glossy one being installed.
CODE
DEBUG=True

Install the new version, and see if anything is written to /var/log/titchy-phoneui-shiny when a problem occurs.

I get:
CODE
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/titchy-phoneui-shiny", line 317, in <module>
if not draw(ringing, incall, missedcalls, messages, alerts, phonebook, persist, key):
File "theme.py", line 144, in draw
simplemenu(phonebook, (80, 128, 480, 224), 32, (200, 200, 200), (255, 255, 255))
File "/usr/bin/titchy-phoneui-shiny", line 153, in simplemenu
y = ((rect[3] - size) / 2) - (s * size)
TypeError: unsupported operand type(s) for *: 'NoneType' and 'int'
ShiroiKuma
You also must 've done some tweaking, because mpd fails to install properly, doesn't configure properly on installation and then upon boot doesn't start. I get: Starting Music Player Daemon: mpdcan't lookup host "localhost" at line 39

It cannot be the difference between sid and lenny, since they both use the same mpd version...
ShiroiKuma
The glossy UI fails for my vcf file with:
CODE
File "/usr/bin/titchy-phoneui-shiny", line 198, in buildphonebook
result.items[-1].items.append(l.upper().split('TYPE=', 1)[1])
IndexError: list index out of range
ShiroiKuma
Furthermore, I seem to have a serious problem with the latest version: the outside speaker is not enabled again now, so it's almost impossible to hear. It seems the other side has difficulties hearing me too.
kitor
Any news with WLAN driver?
ShiroiKuma
QUOTE(ShiroiKuma @ Jul 18 2008, 09:57 PM) *
You also must 've done some tweaking, because mpd fails to install properly, doesn't configure properly on installation and then upon boot doesn't start. I get: Starting Music Player Daemon: mpdcan't lookup host "localhost" at line 39

It cannot be the difference between sid and lenny, since they both use the same mpd version...

This problem seems to go away by adding 127.0.0.1 localhost to /etc/hosts
datathief
QUOTE(ShiroiKuma @ Jul 19 2008, 06:50 AM) *
The glossy UI fails for my vcf file with:
CODE
File "/usr/bin/titchy-phoneui-shiny", line 198, in buildphonebook
result.items[-1].items.append(l.upper().split('TYPE=', 1)[1])
IndexError: list index out of range

Fixed. The code assumed that 'TEL' would always come after 'N' or 'FN', which doesn't seem to be true.
datathief
QUOTE(ShiroiKuma @ Jul 19 2008, 06:52 AM) *
Furthermore, I seem to have a serious problem with the latest version: the outside speaker is not enabled again now, so it's almost impossible to hear. It seems the other side has difficulties hearing me too.

Seems to be a problem with titchy-hardware-support. The init.d script is being executed too soon - when the audio driver loads, it resets to the inside speaker.

It should be fixed if you suspend and resume. I'll make the necessary changes to the titchy-hardware-support package.
ShiroiKuma
QUOTE(datathief @ Jul 19 2008, 04:38 PM) *
Fixed. The code assumed that 'TEL' would always come after 'N' or 'FN', which doesn't seem to be true.

Your glossy frontend is very elegant.

Few thoughts for potential improvement:

When viewing the received SMS's, there should be a reply-to-sender option.

The missed calls browser should not browse just missed calls, but all calls, i.e. made, received, missed in reverse chronological order, with different color - or what may have you - sorting for different types of calls.

The SMS's should be either threaded, I think preferably, or should also list the sent SMS's.
datathief
QUOTE(datathief @ Jul 19 2008, 02:42 PM) *
QUOTE(ShiroiKuma @ Jul 19 2008, 06:52 AM) *

Seems to be a problem with titchy-hardware-support. The init.d script is being executed too soon - when the audio driver loads, it resets to the inside speaker.

It should be fixed if you suspend and resume. I'll make the necessary changes to the titchy-hardware-support package.

New version of titchy-hardware support that fixes this.

Also, a new version of titchy-phone-daemon, that fixes a minor bug with sent SMS messages (they would sometimes get an extra '@' appended) and adds the long-awaited event type 'smsdelivery' to handle SMS delivery status messages (note that none of the UIs make use of this yet).
ShiroiKuma
QUOTE(datathief @ Jul 21 2008, 10:00 PM) *
adds the long-awaited event type 'smsdelivery' to handle SMS delivery status messages (note that none of the UIs make use of this yet).

This is indeed long-awaited rolleyes.gif When the UI includes it, it will add significantly to the comfort of sending SMSes, as sometimes I have experienced no-send...
datathief
QUOTE(ShiroiKuma @ Jul 21 2008, 08:41 PM) *
QUOTE(datathief @ Jul 21 2008, 10:00 PM) *
adds the long-awaited event type 'smsdelivery' to handle SMS delivery status messages (note that none of the UIs make use of this yet).

This is indeed long-awaited rolleyes.gif When the UI includes it, it will add significantly to the comfort of sending SMSes, as sometimes I have experienced no-send...

New versions of titchy-phoneui-shiny and titchy-phoneui-glossy uploaded. Key repeat works; SMS delivery status messages are displayed (just simple text alerts for now); and you can write messages in the glossy theme. Don't expect finished, polished features, though...
ShiroiKuma
QUOTE(datathief @ Jul 22 2008, 12:57 AM) *
New versions of titchy-phoneui-shiny and titchy-phoneui-glossy uploaded. Key repeat works; SMS delivery status messages are displayed (just simple text alerts for now); and you can write messages in the glossy theme. Don't expect finished, polished features, though...

Is it just my setup, or does the glossy frontend kill mpc playing a tune in a rather nasty way? In my case, when the call comes ringing in, it pauses the tune being played. Once I answer, it kills the playing process - the now playing windows is emptied, then after hangup, I have to restart mpd to get mpc to play again, as I get no answer from localhost on 6600 if I don't restart mpd.
ShiroiKuma
Further thoughts just as ideas for the console:

The SMS and calls list should list all historical calls and SMS, not only current ones in the session as is the case.
They should be threaded.
They should be reverse-chronologically sorted, with bold or color difference between unread SMS and read ones.

Perhaps a periodic network check and network status icon, I ofter find that the network is inaccessible due to some crash probably etc. and have to restart titchy-phone-daemon, but some notification of this is desirable.
datathief
QUOTE(ShiroiKuma @ Jul 23 2008, 03:09 PM) *
Is it just my setup, or does the glossy frontend kill mpc playing a tune in a rather nasty way?

Try adding a new script to /etc/titchy-phone-daemon/event.d to pause mpd - that way it will release the audio device, and it won't get killed by the ringtone script.

CODE
#!/bin/dash
case "$1" in
ring)
  mpc pause
;;
esac

(Remember to make it executable).
datathief
QUOTE(ShiroiKuma @ Jul 23 2008, 03:18 PM) *
I ofter find that the network is inaccessible due to some crash probably etc. and have to restart titchy-phone-daemon, but some notification of this is desirable.

Can you give any more details? Does titchy-phone-daemon die? Does running
CODE
titchy-phone-daemon network auto
reconnect it to the network?

Occasionally I've noticed the radio crash (I see 'DEBUGMSG 99' in /var/log/titchy-phone-daemon, and it stops responding). In Windows Mobile, this causes the phone to reboot automatically; I'd like to provide some sort of notification that a reboot is needed rather than do it automatically, or even reset just the radio if there's a way to do that. That's the only radio-related problem I have, though.
datathief
QUOTE(ShiroiKuma @ Jul 23 2008, 03:18 PM) *
Further thoughts just as ideas for the console:

The SMS and calls list should list all historical calls and SMS, not only current ones in the session as is the case.
They should be threaded.
They should be reverse-chronologically sorted, with bold or color difference between unread SMS and read ones.

Unfortunately I don't have a lot of time to work on this at the moment, and these features aren't a priority. For me, the UI is meant to show a small amount of information quickly (and attractively wink.gif ) and not get in the way of the underlying console. You're quite welcome to have a go yourself though. smile.gif

I would very much like to find the time to write a "proxy" for msmtp and titchy-phone-daemon, so I can use my e-mail client to send, as well as read, SMS. That will probably be my next project once titchy-phoneui-glossy is a bit more polished.
domi007
Hi guys,
I got a problem right now: I am locked out from my TitchyMobile:
At the login prompt I get a title:
This is an unsecure session

After that I type
root
root
Then I see for a moment a title: Login successful!
And the desktop starts to loading, but in that moment I get back to the login prompt. And I can try to log in as many times as I want, but the system throws me back to the login...

Please help!
DOMy
datathief
QUOTE(ShiroiKuma @ Jun 12 2008, 07:55 AM) *
QUOTE(ShiroiKuma @ Jun 9 2008, 04:34 PM) *
but having HiQ video is sorta important I think

I've lost the ability to play HiQ video on the Uni satisfactorily after a cycle of apt upgrades.

My experimentation with it has shown a surprising result: I booted into Windows Mobile, and using TCPMP was able to play any and all mpgs with great viewing quality, no choppiness, even the original ones 640x480, not reencoded for smoother playback.

So the Universal is able to play 640x480 video with no probs.

The problem then lay on the debian decoding end. mplayer, ffmpeg, totem, nothing seems to currently be able to play the original non-reencoded mpgs, even the reencoded ones are not watchable, it's too slow, choppy...

But if Windows Mobile can do it, it surely must be possible under Debian. So far playing with it, and searching the web, hasn't indicated to me any good solution.

I tried to play a video for the first time today. The best results I got were with a pre-rotated 480x640 video using:
CODE
export SDL_NOMOUSE=1
export SDL_VIDEODRIVER=fbcon
mplayer -vo sdl ...

I can only get around 18fps with no sound - sound reduces it to about 12fps.
datathief
QUOTE(domi007 @ Jul 26 2008, 09:09 PM) *
Hi guys,
I got a problem right now: I am locked out from my TitchyMobile:
At the login prompt I get a title:
This is an unsecure session

After that I type
root
root
Then I see for a moment a title: Login successful!
And the desktop starts to loading, but in that moment I get back to the login prompt. And I can try to log in as many times as I want, but the system throws me back to the login...

Please help!
DOMy

Not an error I've ever seen. Looks like there are several possible causes.
domi007
QUOTE(datathief @ Jul 27 2008, 07:04 PM) *
Not an error I've ever seen. Looks like there are several possible causes.

I have tried all of these ideas, but nothing changed.
If someone has an idea, how can I disable xdm login prompt or solve this issue, please feel free to answer me.

Thank You!
DOMy
ShiroiKuma
QUOTE(datathief @ Jul 24 2008, 12:43 PM) *
Unfortunately I don't have a lot of time to work on this at the moment, and these features aren't a priority. For me, the UI is meant to show a small amount of information quickly (and attractively wink.gif ) and not get in the way of the underlying console. You're quite welcome to have a go yourself though. smile.gif

I understand what you're saying, in fact I just meant my observations as food for thought, in case you were working on some of those aspects still. I don't have much time to spare currently either, that's why I haven't ventured to pitch in with the above mentioned changes, plus I almost don't use the frontend, just text manipulate the SMS and call logs etc. so that's fine for me...
ShiroiKuma
QUOTE(datathief @ Jul 27 2008, 07:03 PM) *
I can only get around 18fps with no sound - sound reduces it to about 12fps.

How do you measure playback fps?
wolfy
Hallo smile.gif
I`m back
I have some questions wink.gif
1. I can use KDE, the K Desktop Environment ???, haw to install and set it if is posibile

2. Haw to change mp3 ringtone in MPD???
kitor
because it's debian, try to install task-kde (apt-get install task-kde)
wolfy
QUOTE(kitor @ Aug 3 2008, 11:32 AM) *
because it's debian, try to install task-kde (apt-get install task-kde)

I instaled kde in debian not whith task-kde, just apt-get kde
I wait for about 500Mb download and finaly space using whose more than 1,1Gb in my SHDC card
Finaly xdm start but my Uni work verry verry slow, is not good sad.gif, all KDE aplications whose preinstaled
Just i want to see it work or not
Now i revert to XFCE4 desktop environment
smile.gif
kitor
But it work? So i'm going to buy uni (i sold my one week ago)
wolfy
QUOTE(kitor @ Aug 5 2008, 10:33 AM) *
But it work? So i'm going to buy uni (i sold my one week ago)

Yes it work, but KDE is to slow on Uni I think whith 128mb ram upgrade is acceptabile working
titchy-desktop work fine wink.gif
kitor
If disable some things, don't use all visual effects - it will be cool. I sold my uni because i had something wrong with hardware - it shows me only radio recalibration errors on wifi (on wm worked ok), where other uni on the same card/image was working OK. My friend bought a box of damaged PDAs (about 500 wizards, uni's and magicans) and promised me that he will sold me one working with low prince laugh.gif
ShiroiKuma
There is a problem with installing bluez-utils. If you start with the titchy rootfs, or mine, affects both, and install bluez-utils, the Universal fails right after initiating bluetooth services, scrolls by too fast, so don't know exactly the error, however ends with: correcting recursive error, but a reboot is needed.

Upon reboot, after initializing bluetooth, the same happens.

I have a backup rootfs where I've already installed an older version of bluez-utils, where there is no such problem.

It affects both testing and unstable distributions...
wolfy
Hallo
I like Debian Linux in my Uni verry much
WiFi, PPP, USB, X and phone functions work weel
But... unsure.gif
Is some little problems
NICKNAME and <NUMBER>
<NICKNAME, NUMBER> .... etc etc
I instaled Contacts but i can find *.vcf file to edit
Maybe MPD is running.......
Something like this
This erors apears and after I install something blink.gif
Or to work correct???
-------
Thanks in advance wink.gif
datathief
QUOTE(wolfy @ Aug 7 2008, 08:26 AM) *
How to edit manual /etc/titchy-phone-daemon/phonebook.vcf ???

vCard file (.vcf) editors are not as common as I thought. I use "rolo", which is text-based.

"Contacts", and a few other programs, use the Evolution Data Server. It may be possible to make the titchy-phoneui phonebook use this.

Edit: If you're familiar with Python, you can use it to convert the Evolution Data Server data, e.g.:
CODE
import bsddb
fin = bsddb.hashopen('('.evolution/addressbook/local/system/addressbook.db')
fout = open('/etc/titchy-phone-daemon/phonebook.vcf', 'w')
for s in fin.values():
  fout.write(s.replace('\r', '').replace('\x00', '') + '\n\n')
fout.close()
fin.close()

After install titchy-phoneui-glossy, every time after restart my Uni, or after installs some packages
The terminal gime me some errors like
MPD canot lock up for localhost, port bla bla......

You need to add the following line to /etc/hosts:
CODE
127.0.0.1 localhost

And, After X Desktop is loaded, the first error is.
BATTERY EMPTY
How possibile fix exist, to not appear this message window???
Or to work correct???

I don't know - I don't use X.
wolfy
Thank You smile.gif

Just 1 more question a have
Before I installed the rootfs I make whith gparted in my linux machine 3 partitions in my SDHC card
Part1: ext2, Part2 Linux Swap and part3 FAT for my Win OS
Now when I`m in Linux every time is need to mount Fat partition to work: #mount /dev/mmcblk0p3 /Myfat
Haw to made to mount this FAT partition automatic when Debian started?
datathief
QUOTE(wolfy @ Aug 7 2008, 03:30 PM) *
Thank You smile.gif

Just 1 more question a have
Before I installed the rootfs I make whith gparted in my linux machine 3 partitions in my SDHC card
Part1: ext2, Part2 Linux Swap and part3 FAT for my Win OS
Now when I`m in Linux every time is need to mount Fat partition to work: #mount /dev/mmcblk0p3 /Myfat
Haw to made to mount this FAT partition automatic when Debian started?

Add the following line to /etc/fstab
CODE
/dev/mmcblk0p3 /Myfat auto defaults,noatime 0 0
ShiroiKuma
QUOTE(ShiroiKuma @ Aug 7 2008, 08:14 AM) *
There is a problem with installing bluez-utils. If you start with the titchy rootfs, or mine, affects both, and install bluez-utils, the Universal fails right after initiating bluetooth services, scrolls by too fast, so don't know exactly the error, however ends with: correcting recursive error, but a reboot is needed.

Hmmm... could this issue be related to some hardware damage on the Uni? It seems the SD circuitry or whatever on my Uni has gone bad, i.e. I keep getting I/O read/write errors on the card in Debian now all the time.

Originally, I thought the card has gone bad. I got two new ones, similar problem.

Fsck bad sectors check doesn't reveal anything revealing... Is there a good tool to really check and report bad sectors / SD card damage?

This just to really come to terms if there has been some hardware malfunction in the Uni, which could be linked to this bluez problems? If that's the case, I'll probably have to get a new Uni or the board, but don't wanna do it, if it is in case just SD card issues...
wolfy
QUOTE(ShiroiKuma @ Aug 7 2008, 08:14 AM) *

Mee to, I try to install bluez-utils, but in finally Setting up bluez-utils, crash my uni
I make Soft Reset, and work fine now, but whithout bluez-utils instaled, not whose setup up
I try to install GPE-BLUETOOTH
Install work, but hardware in Uni is not detected blink.gif
datathief
QUOTE(ShiroiKuma @ Aug 7 2008, 06:14 AM) *

Upon reboot, after initializing bluetooth, the same happens.

I have a backup rootfs where I've already installed an older version of bluez-utils, where there is no such problem.

It affects both testing and unstable distributions...

Do you have a copy of the working bluez-utils deb? I could change its version number so it gets installed instead of the broken one, and host it in my repository, while we figure out what's wrong.
ShiroiKuma
QUOTE(datathief @ Aug 8 2008, 11:46 AM) *
Do you have a copy of the working bluez-utils deb? I could change its version number so it gets installed instead of the broken one, and host it in my repository, while we figure out what's wrong.

Well, this was my first line of thinking. However, maybe it's induced by other factors, like other packages, because:

From a working rootfs backup where I have bluez-utils installed, I tried to manually install them in your clean rootfs - don't have the package, but first installed all the dependencies, then copied all the bluez-utils files in their place, ran the preinst script, then ran the postinst script, and it fails in the same way...

Like I said, can't catch the errors, but right after hcid initialization I think, a slew or rfcomm or what have you associated errors fly by and that's it, the machine is stuck.

So, since another user has the same issues, it's not motherboard failure related I assume.

Do you have an idea what could be behind this SD I/O read/write problems of mine? It's driving me nuts, I can't use Linux on the Universal now...

Thought it was machine hardware generated, since even the Windows Mobile couldn't access the card, which has the first partition as fat32, which they could before, though the card was readable fine on a PC both under GNU/Linux and under XP. I used some tool though under XP that is supposed to format the card exactly to SD guideline specifications and now the Windows Mobile reads the card.

So should I maybe try just to keep it fat32 formatted and put the Debian into a file and run it off of it, instead of creating an ext2 partition? Would this be beneficial? I'm just curious why this now when for a couple of months didn't have these issues at all...
datathief
QUOTE(ShiroiKuma @ Aug 8 2008, 10:32 AM) *
QUOTE(datathief @ Aug 8 2008, 11:46 AM) *

Well, this was my first line of thinking. However, maybe it's induced by other factors, like other packages, because:

From a working rootfs backup where I have bluez-utils installed, I tried to manually install them in your clean rootfs - don't have the package, but first installed all the dependencies, then copied all the bluez-utils files in their place, ran the preinst script, then ran the postinst script, and it fails in the same way...

Like I said, can't catch the errors, but right after hcid initialization I think, a slew or rfcomm or what have you associated errors fly by and that's it, the machine is stuck.

So, since another user has the same issues, it's not motherboard failure related I assume.

I'll try installing the newest bluez-utils on mine, see if it happens to me.

Do you have an idea what could be behind this SD I/O read/write problems of mine? It's driving me nuts, I can't use Linux on the Universal now...

Thought it was machine hardware generated, since even the Windows Mobile couldn't access the card, which has the first partition as fat32, which they could before, though the card was readable fine on a PC both under GNU/Linux and under XP. I used some tool though under XP that is supposed to format the card exactly to SD guideline specifications and now the Windows Mobile reads the card.

So should I maybe try just to keep it fat32 formatted and put the Debian into a file and run it off of it, instead of creating an ext2 partition? Would this be beneficial? I'm just curious why this now when for a couple of months didn't have these issues at all...

Because of the wear-levelling, SD cards can be a bit tricky. You can write the same data to the same place twice, and it will get put in a different physical location on the card each time. That makes it very difficult to track down problems.

For the same reason, an error on one partition can affect other partitions on the same card.

Do you have the ramdisk image installed? Have you tried formatting the card for Linux using the phone itself?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.