Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Htc Universal
OESF Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Distro Support and Discussion > Debian
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
datathief
Bluetooth seems to work fine if you use the Silicon Wave driver instead of the Texas Instruments one. Change 'texas' to 'swave' in /etc/bluetooth/uart.
ShiroiKuma
I seem to have an issue with general audio loudness, i.e. when playing audio or video, it seems to be significantly less loud than when playing the same files under WM. I seem to remember having a similar issue earlier on, then tweaking something, and it disappearing, though am not sure about it.

The incoming call ring is also not very loud, albeit having RINGTONEVOLUME set at 100 in /etc/default/titchy-phoneui-base

Any ideas?
datathief
QUOTE(ShiroiKuma @ Aug 12 2008, 08:28 AM) *
I seem to have an issue with general audio loudness, i.e. when playing audio or video, it seems to be significantly less loud than when playing the same files under WM. I seem to remember having a similar issue earlier on, then tweaking something, and it disappearing, though am not sure about it.

The incoming call ring is also not very loud, albeit having RINGTONEVOLUME set at 100 in /etc/default/titchy-phoneui-base

Any ideas?

I don't know of anything that would affect the volume. Run alsamixer at the console and check all the controls.
linuxFreq
Hey,

What is hibernate or suspend like?
In the project that i am doing i'd like to be able to hibernate the htc so that it could sit for a couple of days without a power supply and wake up in the same state as it was before....

Is this possible?

Also, when you hold the power button and the display appears with the clock and the date, how is this graphic produced? I was under the impression to get a gui like that you needed X...

Thanks.
ShiroiKuma
QUOTE(datathief @ Aug 12 2008, 05:32 PM) *
I don't know of anything that would affect the volume. Run alsamixer at the console and check all the controls.

Doh...

Of course, the volume was set to 80 there... rolleyes.gif
ShiroiKuma
I've updated to the latest titchy-phoneui-glossy, very elegant.

However, it kills the mplayer in a rather nasty way if receive a call while playing the video. It affects -vo fbdev, don't know if other -vo options elicit the same behavior, however since fbdev is the fastest for playing video, it's a problem here.

When a call comes in, the video freezes on the screen, the ringtone plays, however the glossy frontend doesn't come up. You can accept the call, talk, and hang up, but then there is no way to get back to the console, or redraw the screen. I could suspend. Upon resume, the glossy frontend comes up, but it doesn't react to keypresses, and I didn't figure out a way to get back to the console, ESC doesn't help...
ShiroiKuma
Further to dialing from titchy-phoneui:

It currently doesn't enable the advanced dialing functionalities, don't know if that's called this, but basically, for instance if you use a prepaid card, then for example to check the level of credit you just dial *104*# hit the dial key as if dialing a call, the phone queries the network for info and comes back with your remaining credit, in one of the networks that you use...

There are many other advanced dialing codes like this.

This currently doesn't work and would be desirable, as the only way to do it now, is to switch back to WM.
ShiroiKuma
QUOTE(datathief @ Aug 8 2008, 03:35 PM) *
Do you have the ramdisk image installed? Have you tried formatting the card for Linux using the phone itself?

I'm trying to do that, however not succeeding with this ramdisk, I have it installed, when it boots, I try to mkfs the card however there is no /dev/mmcblk0 node only a /dev/mmc/ directory that's empty. I've googled around tried mkfs'ing on /dev/mmc/disc however that doesn't work, so not sure how to progress.
kitor
Hey

Other question - have we got support for SDHC cards?
ShiroiKuma
QUOTE(kitor @ Aug 21 2008, 12:32 AM) *
Other question - have we got support for SDHC cards?

Yes.
datathief
QUOTE(ShiroiKuma @ Aug 19 2008, 08:40 AM) *
Further to dialing from titchy-phoneui:

It currently doesn't enable the advanced dialing functionalities, don't know if that's called this, but basically, for instance if you use a prepaid card, then for example to check the level of credit you just dial *104*# hit the dial key as if dialing a call, the phone queries the network for info and comes back with your remaining credit, in one of the networks that you use...

There are many other advanced dialing codes like this.

This currently doesn't work and would be desirable, as the only way to do it now, is to switch back to WM.

As far as I can tell, the following should give some kind of result:
CODE
titchy-phone-daemon atcmd 'at+cusd=1,"*104*#",15'

The command returns immediately, so you'll need to check the log after a few seconds for the result.
CODE
tail /var/log/titchy-phone-daemon

I get "+CUSD: 5"; I don't know what that means. If you get something more useful, I can add this functionality to the daemon.
ShiroiKuma
I currently have my Uni in Germany for a 128MB memory upgrade, but will try this once I get it back and report with the results.
domi007
QUOTE(ShiroiKuma @ Aug 27 2008, 11:53 AM) *
I currently have my Uni in Germany for a 128MB memory upgrade, but will try this once I get it back and report with the results.

Great decision!
wolfy
QUOTE(ShiroiKuma @ Aug 27 2008, 01:53 AM) *

I want to upgrade my Uni to 128 mb ram
Give me one thousand and several details
Where in Germany sent you ???
How have proceeded with the dispatch of ???
And the final tariff ??? unsure.gif
ShiroiKuma
I sent it to www.srsgmbh.de They were very responsive, I just prediscussed with them on the phone, then mailed the Uni in with a letter requesting the memory upgrade and my contact info. It took them 4 days to finish with the upgrade. At the end of the upgrade process, I received an email with payment details. You can pay by bank transfer or via Paypal. It cost EUR 131.50, including postage back to my country. I should receive the unit within a couple of days now. That's all. rolleyes.gif
wolfy
OK Thx
I will try to contact they and send my uni to biggrin.gif
I think will work more beter debian with 128Mb ram unsure.gif
ShiroiKuma
So I got my upgraded Universal back, and seems it's not so easy...

When the Universal boots first into Windows Mobile, it reports only 48 Megs of memory, (What the?...) In the Device info then it shows 128M RAM, but in memory info only 48M. This I've seen at xda-developers.com. So it'd seem consistent with it.

However now I'm having problems booting Linux getting it to recognize the extra memory. By itself it just reports 64M still.

I got so far as to pass memsize=0x8000000 to haret before booting linux, but still 64M. Haven't found any ref of running linux on the Universal with 128M.

If anyone is running it on an memory-upgrade Universal, can you please share the options you have to pass to Haret for it to boot with the full extended memory?
Thorsten
Hi ShiroiKuma

I have no memory upgrade jet, but I made some pre research... So I have two, probably stupid, questions:
Did you install a 128M aware Windows ROM?
Did you try the test program for the memory size?
(http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=286861&page=5)

Perhaps the author of that software might help, he claims in his profile to have a 128M Uni
(http://forum.xda-developers.com/member.php?u=224595)

Please let me know how things are going....

Greetings

Thorsten
wolfy
I stay in a moment with 64Mb, May I studied how they are running and benefits from 128Mb, I don`t want to give money for nothing
For WM 128mb know that Page Pool should be changed to 0 to work correctly
I think you know that
But if you don`t help anything to Linux is not a win in this upgrade

Probably there is a solution for this unsure.gif
ShiroiKuma
QUOTE(Thorsten @ Sep 8 2008, 09:35 PM) *
Did you install a 128M aware Windows ROM?

They reflashed the Universal, with what should be an acceptable ROM. Don't know though, am gonna call them tomorrow.

Did you try the test program for the memory size?
(http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=286861&page=5)

I think it's useless, as the author says right below, that his prog is not working correctly...

I'm hoping it's just a wrong ROM, in which case a reflash should fix it, OTOH from what I've read, if you don't flash to a ROM supporting 128M then the Universal shouldn't boot. So it's looking complicated. Anyhow something is definitely wrong with my current setup...
IIZIIm
I got so far as to pass memsize=0x8000000 to haret before booting linux, but still 64M. Haven't found any ref of running linux on the Universal with 128M.

I used to have an entry mem=64M in startup.txt, maybe you just try mem=128M like in Blueangel"s startup.txt :http://www.linuxtogo.org/~htcpxa/htcblueangel/GPEphone/startup.txt

Can you enter cat /proc/meminfo?
ShiroiKuma
I think mem=128M should do it, actually...

There's something wrong with the upgrade, as the 128M I was seeing before is flash size not RAM, so something's not right... I talked with SRS and am sending the unit back in today for them to check what's wrong.
ShiroiKuma
SRS confirmed they flashed the wrong ROM onto the device and that's why the 128MB wasn't working. Should be fine now. I should be receiving it beginning next week, and will report how linux works with 128MB. Hopefully, using 128MB should be no prob under linux, however no one has confirmed it still on the Universal, so hopefully there will be no more unwanted surprises.
ShiroiKuma
So I got the Universal back, with the correct ROM reflashed. It has 128MB memory now, works much better. Linux starts fine, without the mem=128M argument added, no changes to startup.txt necessary, finds 128MB of memory. X works great without swap now, it's definitely much better.

One problem though with suspend. When you suspend, there is no way to wake the Universal up, it doesn't respond to the power key. I saw a mention somewhere, specifically focusing on this, i.e. that expanding to 128MB, you will need to modify something, so it doesn't have the suspend-resume problem. Am trying to find the reference now, maybe it was on xda-developers. If anyone has any hints, I'd appreciate the help.
ShiroiKuma
OK, just found the reference on xda-developers. It's a comment by cr2, reading:
CODE
The only problem will pop up at resume, because the
HTC IPL sets the PXA memory controller as if there were 64MB RAM.
But it can be easily fixed by resetting them in the CPU resume function.

Anyone know how to do this?
ShiroiKuma
So, I have run various tests, but can't get the device to resume from suspend. Allthough cr2 in the above post says it's easy to fix, I don't know how to do this, if it entails editing the IPL or what. So unless we figure this out, currently 128MB is unuseable on the Universal for Linux.

The device resumes properly, when I start haret with mem=64M so am using that for now... ohmy.gif(
Thorsten
QUOTE(ShiroiKuma @ Sep 16 2008, 07:47 PM) *
OK, just found the reference on xda-developers. It's a comment by cr2, reading:
CODE
The only problem will pop up at resume, because the
HTC IPL sets the PXA memory controller as if there were 64MB RAM.
But it can be easily fixed by resetting them in the CPU resume function.

Anyone know how to do this?

I lack a bit of the context, but I suspect he talks about a fix in the linux kernel. Can you post the link?

Can you write something about the positive effect of the upgrade? My primary problem wit my universal is that is is horrible slow on linux. For my use case (remote linux server administration, nagios) I need VPN, ssh and a webbrowser (grafical, not lynx). But already opening a terminal window is very slow, a webbrowser is only usable with lots of passion...

Can you tell me how much speed improvements you got?

Are there other positive effects?

Does any body know if the kernel is still in active development? I can only find a quite old 2.6.21-hh20.

Greetings

Thorsten
ShiroiKuma
QUOTE(Thorsten @ Sep 17 2008, 12:04 PM) *
I lack a bit of the context, but I suspect he talks about a fix in the linux kernel. Can you post the link?

The link is http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.p...mp;postcount=95

I've inspected the htc-universal specifics of the linux kernel, and couldn't identify anything. I think he meant editing the IPL, which is the phone bootloader, which however seems strange, since if that was the prob, the phone wouldn't come out of suspend under WM, or maybe WM doesn't really do a deep suspend like Linux does.

Can you write something about the positive effect of the upgrade? My primary problem wit my universal is that is is horrible slow on linux. For my use case (remote linux server administration, nagios) I need VPN, ssh and a webbrowser (grafical, not lynx). But already opening a terminal window is very slow, a webbrowser is only usable with lots of passion...

Not much I can say, since I need to use the phone and without suspend it's useless. So I'm not using the 128MB now, until I figure out how to make it resume...
Thorsten
Hi, I contacted cr2, and he confirmed the need of a kernel patch. I hope I find some time in the next days to have a look on it.

greetings

Thorsten
ShiroiKuma
In fact, I got a response from him at the same time. He requested feedback to haret's "dump pxa27x" command. I'll be posting soon. Hopefully this'll enable us to use these 128...
ShiroiKuma
I've just posted the output of the command cr2 requested at http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.p...;postcount=2085
ShiroiKuma
QUOTE(Thorsten @ Sep 18 2008, 10:53 AM) *
Hi, I contacted cr2, and he confirmed the need of a kernel patch. I hope I find some time in the next days to have a look on it.

greetings

Thorsten

Do you have an idea of what and where needs to be patched? Over at xda-developers, cr2 hinted that haret's dump pxa27x command output should be compared between a 128MB and a 64MB Universal, to give an idea of the patch presumably. I've posted the 128MB Universal output at http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.p...;postcount=2088

However, I don't have the 64MB output. Could you post it? Or could someone else post the haret's dump pxa27x command's output here? Instructions on how to capture the output easily on a Universal I've posted at: http://sumoudou.org/index.php?cmd=%E7%9B%B...PC%20connection
Thorsten
QUOTE(ShiroiKuma @ Sep 21 2008, 05:09 PM) *
Do you have an idea of what and where needs to be patched? Over at xda-developers, cr2 hinted that haret's dump pxa27x command output should be compared between a 128MB and a 64MB Universal, to give an idea of the patch presumably. I've posted the 128MB Universal output at http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.p...;postcount=2088

However, I don't have the 64MB output. Could you post it? Or could someone else post the haret's dump pxa27x command's output here? Instructions on how to capture the output easily on a Universal I've posted at: http://sumoudou.org/index.php?cmd=%E7%9B%B...PC%20connection

Yes, I have a, at least rough, idea where to patch. I the pxa specific code are some parts for the power management. These are not so big, and it seems easy to find, where the resume is done.
You start your dump with "1st part:" , is there a 2nd missing? I did not see the memory registers on a quick view.

I'll make a 64MB dump today, and post it for comparsion.

greetings

Thorsten
Thorsten
QUOTE(Thorsten @ Sep 22 2008, 11:15 AM) *
You start your dump with "1st part:" , is there a 2nd missing? I did not see the memory registers on a quick view.

I'll make a 64MB dump today, and post it for comparsion.

Sorry, I now found your 2nd part, and also the post with the comparsion log....
ShiroiKuma
QUOTE(Thorsten @ Sep 22 2008, 11:15 AM) *
Yes, I have a, at least rough, idea where to patch. I the pxa specific code are some parts for the power management. These are not so big, and it seems easy to find, where the resume is done.

I'll check further, so far haven't found anything that would indicate to me the right place to patch. In http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.p...;postcount=2094 cr2 indicates patching the IPL, which is the bootloader, but for that I have no idea, so hopefully patching the kernel will prove to be the way...
Batuss
Hello i've just installed titchy, upgrade it(xserwer-titchy.deb...and stuff) and when i start x server(xfce4 or IceWM) it show me somthing like this:

#startX
Hostname: host name lookup failure
xauth (argv):1: bad display name "titchy:0" in "list" command
xauth (stdin):1: bad display name "titchy:0" in "add" command
/etc/X11/xint/xserverrc: line 5: usr/bin/x11/X; No such file or directory
/etc/X11/xint/xserverrc: line 5: exec:i usr/bin/x11/X; Cannot execute: No such file or directory

when i try to type startxfce4 it shows me the same result

Can you help me ?
ShiroiKuma
QUOTE(Batuss @ Sep 23 2008, 09:18 AM) *
/etc/X11/xint/xserverrc: line 5: usr/bin/x11/X; No such file or directory
/etc/X11/xint/xserverrc: line 5: exec:i usr/bin/x11/X; Cannot execute: No such file or directory

CODE
ln -s /opt/kdrive/X /usr/bin/
ernia
I'm not able to download the rootfs following http://wiki.neilandtheresa.co.uk/Titchy_Li...stalling_Debian instructions
I run jigdo-lite from my debian etch and all seems to go ok, but when i untar it it complains about an error and exit.
the last file correctly extracted is ./basedebs/debian/pool/main/s/sed/sed_4.1.5-6_armel.deb
the dimension of titchy-rootfs.tar is 17,9 Mb and not 45 Mb as it should be.
i've searched the topic but i couldn't find something about this problem.
i've tried from a windows emulated system too and i ended with a titchy-rootfs.tar of the same size, 18324 kb, so it shouldn't be something wrong with my system.
any advice or a link from where download the rootfs image?
sorry about being a newbye like that and about my broken english.
ShiroiKuma
You can get the full rootfs, with mplayer for Universal, and X installed at: http://sumoudou.org/index.php?cmd=%E7%9B%B...the%20Universal
ernia
QUOTE(ShiroiKuma @ Sep 27 2008, 01:06 PM) *
You can get the full rootfs, with mplayer for Universal, and X installed at: http://sumoudou.org/index.php?cmd=%E7%9B%B...the%20Universal

thanks a lot, i'm downloading the image smile.gif
ernia
ok, i got it, debian boots and i'm happy smile.gif
when i will be able to find the slash in my qwerty keyboard i will be more happy laugh.gif
again, thanks a lot for giving me a copy of your sistem
ernia
mmmm, when i try to get usb network i can ifup usb0 in titchy but i can't in my debian etch.
lsusb can't give me an output about the uni and dmesg says:

[ 116.732011] usb 1-4: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 6
[ 116.912007] usb 1-4: device descriptor read/64, error -62
[ 117.196007] usb 1-4: device descriptor read/64, error -62
[ 117.476009] usb 1-4: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 7
[ 117.656008] usb 1-4: device descriptor read/64, error -62
[ 117.940007] usb 1-4: device descriptor read/64, error -62
[ 118.220009] usb 1-4: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 8
[ 118.628006] usb 1-4: device not accepting address 8, error -62
[ 118.804009] usb 1-4: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 9
[ 119.212007] usb 1-4: device not accepting address 9, error -62
[ 119.212022] hub 1-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 4

seems that it's related to my pc, but i can't understand where to look for.
any help?
ShiroiKuma
Follow these steps: http://sumoudou.org/index.php?cmd=%E7%9B%B...SB%20connection

and report all the errors you get.
ernia
QUOTE(ShiroiKuma @ Sep 28 2008, 12:31 PM) *
Follow these steps: http://sumoudou.org/index.php?cmd=%E7%9B%B...SB%20connection

and report all the errors you get.

i can't "aptitude update" and "aptitude install titchy network settings" because i can't get the internet.

ifconfig usb0 192.168.0.1
SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
usb0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device

this is the output of ifconfig usb0 192.168.0.1, i think it is related with the dmesg output that i post previously.
by the way, i have the same messages with two different kernels in debian and arch linux in my pc, and in arch linux in another pc.

i can ifup usb0 on the universal manually adding usb0 in /etc/network/interfaces.

i can't make a ppp connection with the string i've found in previous post, so i have a debian with no net, no luck!

i'm thinking to put myself in a better position (like installing packages from titchy repository) using qemu as you advice at this link:

http://sumoudou.org/index.php?cmd=%E7%9B%B...r%20on%20a%20PC

let me know if i'm doing something really dumb. thanks for your answers.
ernia
[ 177.676009] usb 1-6: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 6
[ 177.900038] usb 1-6: configuration #1 chosen from 2 choices
[ 177.925687] usb 1-6: New USB device found, idVendor=0525, idProduct=a4a2
[ 177.925692] usb 1-6: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
[ 177.925695] usb 1-6: Product: RNDIS/Ethernet Gadget
[ 177.925697] usb 1-6: Manufacturer: Linux 2.6.21-hh20/pxa27x_udc
[ 178.026135] usb0: register 'cdc_subset' at usb-0000:00:0b.0-6, Linux Device, 4a:2b:9a:c7:a1:f2
[ 178.027821] usbcore: registered new interface driver cdc_subset
[ 178.034001] usbcore: registered new interface driver cdc_ether
[ 178.038576] usbcore: registered new interface driver zaurus

It seems like that i can have the usb network device of the uni recognized only if titchy has been booted while uni was connected via usb to a pc.
Tested on two different pc, also booting titchy while connected to one pc and then connected to the other one.
Seems an issue related to titchy and not to my systems, could you make some tests about it and see if this happens to you too?
kroonen
I'm trying to install the debian image to my htc.

If I use the jigdo-lite http://debian.neilandtheresa.co.uk/titchy-rootfs.jigdo the tar file is only 25mb

Found 8 of the 8 files required by the template Successfully created `titchy-rootfs.tar' ----------------------------------------------------------------- Finished! The fact that you got this far is a strong indication that `titchy-rootfs.tar' was generated correctly. I will perform an additional, final check, which you can interrupt safely with Ctrl-C if you do not want to wait. OK: Checksums match, image is good!

When untar it this error happens

/extradebs/debian/pool/ ./extradebs/debian/pool/main/
./extradebs/debian/pool/main/a/ ./extradebs/debian/pool/main/a/alsa-utils/
./extradebs/debian/pool/main/a/alsa-utils/alsa-utils_1.0.16-2_armel.deb
./extradebs/debian/pool/main/a/apmd/
./extradebs/debian/pool/main/a/apmd/apmd_3.2.2-10_armel.deb
./extradebs/debian/pool/main/a/apmd/libapm1_3.2.2-10_armel.deb
./extradebs/debian/pool/main/a/apt/
./extradebs/debian/pool/main/a/apt/apt_0.7.14_armel.deb tar: Unexpected EOF in archive tar: Unexpected EOF in archive tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now

any idea is the download image corrupt???

I tried 3 times kind regards
Richard
ernia
same as me, i don't know nothing about jigdo-lite and i can't explain myself why things are going this way.
here : http://sumoudou.org/index.php?cmd=%E7%9B%B...the%20Universal
you can find an old debian lenny based rootfs (i think originally provided by Datachief) and a fattest debian sid based rootfs with a working x-server provided by ShiroIkuma.
I think i must read a lot to understand what exactly to do to have a system as i want (i would prefer debian lenny with fluxbox and a phone-management app running under x) and if i can somehow contribute, not being a developer.
Thanks to both Datachief and ShiroIkuma.
datathief
QUOTE(ernia @ Sep 27 2008, 09:05 AM) *
I'm not able to download the rootfs following http://wiki.neilandtheresa.co.uk/Titchy_Li...stalling_Debian instructions
I run jigdo-lite from my debian etch and all seems to go ok, but when i untar it it complains about an error and exit.
the last file correctly extracted is ./basedebs/debian/pool/main/s/sed/sed_4.1.5-6_armel.deb
the dimension of titchy-rootfs.tar is 17,9 Mb and not 45 Mb as it should be.
i've searched the topic but i couldn't find something about this problem.
i've tried from a windows emulated system too and i ended with a titchy-rootfs.tar of the same size, 18324 kb, so it shouldn't be something wrong with my system.
any advice or a link from where download the rootfs image?
sorry about being a newbye like that and about my broken english.

It looks like the nightly process that rebuilds the image was running out of disk space. I've moved it to a bigger disk, and a new image is being built now.
ShiroiKuma
QUOTE(datathief @ Aug 27 2008, 11:33 AM) *
As far as I can tell, the following should give some kind of result:
CODE
titchy-phone-daemon atcmd 'at+cusd=1,"*104*#",15'

I get "+CUSD: 5"; I don't know what that means. If you get something more useful, I can add this functionality to the daemon.

I get:
CODE
+CUSD: 0,"XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX some hex text",15

So it seems, it's responding with the credit remaining and it's coding the answer, however doesn't ring any bells as far as deciphering is concerned...
ShiroiKuma
Further to titchy-phoneui-shiny and titchy-phone-daemon, call-waiting doesn't work. I.e. when you are on the line and get another call, you hear the ring in the background as you should, but there is no way to switch calls...

More importantly, the missed calls log doesn't record the call coming in while you're on the line, so you can't determine who it was that called you.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.